Author Topic: Press X, Win Battle - Let's list the lesser-known glitches in Touhou!  (Read 42106 times)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Right then, we all know (and take advantage of) the more amusing bugs features in Touhou like MarisaBugged in MoF or the MAlice cannon in IN, and at least know of things like Merupo even if we've never experienced them ourselves. But tonight, I came across some interesting bugs in Subterranean Animism that I had never heard of, and while experienced players doubtlessly know about them, I can't bring myself to believe that it's common knowledge in any sense.

Therefore, in the interests of making more obscure bugs come to light, here goes.
Entry #01: When you play alongside Aya, you play alongside a GOD!

The relevant bit is at around 1:01, and picks up again at 1:40-ish.

From my understanding, (and I quote from the video description for the next example of this glitch) this bug works on all bosses that have midstage dialogue; presumably ZUN programmed the damage engine to treat them like normal enemies that could be destroyed when attacked enough. Only the ReimuC (Reimu/Aya)and MarisaB (Marisa/Patchy) bombs deal enough damage fast enough to destroy the bosses.

To wit:
Entry #02: Turning the tables on Hell's Traffic Accident
Entry #03: Wind God Girl vs Wind Good Girl

I've never encountered this bug myself, but hell yes am I going to go try them out now.

Are there any other lesser-known bugs you folks have encountered while playing Touhou? Fighting game glitches also welcome.
Note: for the purposes of this thread, demos should not really be counted, since they're riddled with bugs anyway, but I would still appreciate them being brought to light, so mention demo bugs regardless.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Press X, Win Battle - Let's list the lesser-known glitches in Touhou!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:21:44 AM »
This is a bug I discovered all the way back in 2008. I was doing a random and unremarkable (frankly, it was bad) practice run of MoF stage 6 on hard mode. Right at the end of VoWG, I death bombed, and out of the blue came this:

Big sis Kanako is watching. 8( I've never been able to replicate it, but I still have the replay because it's so unique.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:41:55 AM »
Lol that was gonna be my glitch :(

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:58:22 AM »

Oh hey, I got this once too when trying to timeout the thing.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:52:29 PM »
Here's a TD demo bug for you Ruro, one that I don't think anyone else has mentioned yet. I certainly hope ZUN catches and fixes this, since I think it's a big enough deal. Here's the replay. In Stage 2, just before the first section of bomb/life part fairies, I have 7 fragments for each counter. I enter Trance to get double spirits, but oddly, when I get enough green spirits for another bomb, the game only gave me one green spirit instead of two (you'll see a progression of 7->9->0->2). The life counter fortunately doesn't do that, though I have been able to reproduce the one for bombs. Given the Trance locations I have in mind and how this counter works right now, it's possible to get the last full bomb at the end of Yoshika's second card, though I really should be getting a new bomb by Kyouko's third card (reaching 10 on the counter rather than 9) instead of in the middle of Stage 3.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 02:17:59 PM »
SoEW - Bullet hitboxes are too big
IN - Lol timeouts. (only spell this works on I believe)
MoF - This (see first spell for effects), and the obvious bugged MarisaB.
SA - Unlike other extra bosses, Koishi's last spell will not speed up when the timer gets low, so you can just time it out in the first phase.
UFO - ReimuB's bomb will damage Nue a bit. 
DS - Invisible bullets in 12-6

That's all I can think of right now.

Turtlesaur

• rawr
    • home of a KEWNE-type familiar
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 03:05:03 PM »
EoSD: Bombing at the very end of a Scarlet Gensokyo timeout causes Remilia to sit there for quite a while doing nothing. She still goes through the proper death animation after a minute or so.
PCB: The blue lasers on Butterfly in the Zen Temple can sometimes reappear in the noncard afterwards, seemingly related to clearing the card during a swap. Rare, seems to be frame-precise.
IN: In spell practice, you can die to Hourai Elixir after gaining the capture bonus by bumping into Kaguya. You'll die but it will still count as a clear for your history. Replay
SA: Timing out either of stage 5 midboss Orin's noncards skips Cat's Walk entirely, including life piece. Can arguably be useful and is somewhat known because of that.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 03:35:31 PM »
Stage 5 Orin is probably intentional.

That Remilia final thing also happens on Flandre's QED

I've had the blue laser thing happen on Ultimate Buddhist a few times

Koishi timeout might be intended.

I've never pulled that ReimuC trick on Yuugi or Sanae. I have done it to Stage 6 midboss Orin once on accident, and it cost me some of the power I could of used to 1cc. The run that happened in ended with a double KO on the final card.

Also:

Reimu's Scattered Spirit Fantasy Seal Fader has an invisible bullets bug thing like 12-6, but only in spell practice.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 04:00:53 PM »
Speaking of stage 5 Orin, that reminds me of something that came up a couple weeks ago in the EoSD spell capture round.  Rumia will use her midboss spellcard if you timeout her nonspell on easy.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 04:02:13 PM »
I've had the options for Reimu C in MoF take the shape of japanese kanji(?) during stage 2 practice.

Speaking of stage 5 Orin, that reminds me of something that came up a couple weeks ago in the EoSD spell capture round.  Rumia will use her midboss spellcard if you timeout her nonspell on easy.

Wow, that's cool!
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 04:08:07 PM »
This bug from Hisoutensoku. Apparently Suwako doesn't like fighting that much. :V

I always thought that this only happened in typhoons, since that's when she always did this, until I had her inactive during a different weather, which only happened once.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 04:11:32 PM »
Reimu's Scattered Spirit Fantasy Seal Fader has an invisible bullets bug thing like 12-6, but only in spell practice.

Yeah that happened to me once, seems pretty rare though. here's a replay of it.

Shinki bug in MS. Spontaneously die if you're high on the screen before the fight.

If you kill either Yuki or Mai while they are firing their cheeto lasers the lasers will freeze in place until the background is changed for the next fight.

Sometimes at the beginning of Hourai Jewel a single red bullet might bounce upwards from the bottom of the screen. Can catch you off-guard.

Also in GFW leftover ice during nonspells carries over to the next spellcard, reducing a chunk of it's health without failing the gold medal requirement.
Makes it easier to get gold medals. Doesn't work with perfect freeze.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 04:13:15 PM by Jaimers »

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 05:41:23 PM »
Sometimes at the beginning of Hourai Jewel a single red bullet might bounce upwards from the bottom of the screen. Can catch you off-guard.
Had this; doesn't it have something to do with aim?

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

NEETori

• Using my Extending Arms to steal donations.
  • TECHNOLOGY!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 06:03:49 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a glitch or intentional, but the flame trails on Patchy's default 236BC in Hisoutensoku deal damage at level 1+.

nintendonut888

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 07:30:07 PM »
Also in GFW leftover ice during nonspells carries over to the next spellcard, reducing a chunk of it's health without failing the gold medal requirement.
Makes it easier to get gold medals. Doesn't work with perfect freeze.

Speaking of, a couple glitches in that delightful romp of a game:

During the fight against Luna Child in either B2-2 or C2-2 (can't remember which :(), one of her spell cards can inexplicably stop firing bullets. It will simply stop firing and you can shoot her freely until it times out.

I haven't tested this myself, but I have it on good authority that if you suicide right before a spell card starts, you can clear the first wave of bullets and still be able to capture or even gold medal the card. More an oversight than a bug, but still.

Oh yes, and the infamous glitch in LLS where at random starting a boss fight will cause a warp in reality as we know it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:43:43 PM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 10:48:58 PM »
This bug from Hisoutensoku. Apparently Suwako doesn't like fighting that much. :V

I always thought that this only happened in typhoons, since that's when she always did this, until I had her inactive during a different weather, which only happened once.
Suwako AI is derp, even by Soku standards. :V

And as long as we're on Soku glitches~

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 04:15:49 AM »
Sometimes the unexplainable happens during a fight with a certain vampire. Warning: Video is a bit loud.

Ok, so maybe not so unexplainable. Read the first post you see (under uploader comments)
I will laugh when I see Kanako acting like an idiot.
TF2 Backpack

nintendonut888

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 06:43:12 AM »
Oh yes, I had forgotten about that one. It happens with Remilia as well FYI.

NEETori

• Using my Extending Arms to steal donations.
  • TECHNOLOGY!
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 06:53:43 AM »
IIRC, someone discovered that in SA, with ReimuC, if you use Aya's dash, you can pass straight through some of the smaller bullets.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 07:07:43 AM »
IIRC, someone discovered that in SA, with ReimuC, if you use Aya's dash, you can pass straight through some of the smaller bullets.
You can do that in DS I believe. (not sure about StB) The trick to that is that for every frame, your character will move a certain amount. With Aya's high speed, she's moving more than a normal character's speed, meaning that they will get repositioned on the screen further each frame. The issue with that is that when they move, they can literally pass over a bullet / laser and be fine because they didn't actually touch it yet, whereas with Reimu, she doesn't have a chance to do that, nor Marisa. (unless said Reimu + Aya)
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Not really a glitch, but while looking through my spellcard history in player data in the TD trial I found that spell no.7 and 8 are both marked as undiscovered, which seems strange.

Last words that didn't make it to the game?
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 03:24:47 PM »
Was going to post a few last night, but my browser went down - you know, like when it can't connect to the internet until you restart, even though you're technically still connected?  Anyway, here we go!

Patchy 2a
Go through opponent
Mostly hitbox oddities, but there's some weird ones (eg. Sakuya walking through Remi, Alice freezing in mid-air, timeslow after KO)
Giant Suika isn't very smart.

Getting away from fighters... The infamous Merlin glitch.  Er... THIS video!!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »
brb, gonna 1cc every Touhou game.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

nintendonut888

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 09:20:06 PM »
A pretty minor one, but a bug nonetheless. If you pause after defeating the final boss in PCB or IN and pause during the fade to white, the fade will continue, even while paused. Obviously this causes a problem when you unpause and the fade reaches maximum before the game cuts to the ending/replay save screen. It's pretty amusing.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 12:19:12 AM »
Just found this video.
Which reminded me of this.

Both from StB where bosses seem to replace other bosses. It's never happened to me though.
TF2 Backpack

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 04:59:07 AM »
Here's some more, cause I really, REALLY, love glitches. <3

Hisoutensoku Glitch - Flat Youmu
Going through bullets on IN spell # 65

The flat Youmu makes sense, in which it's easy to understand why it happens. As for the IN spell, I should try it sometime to see if that was a one time thing or not.

Fake Edit: Actually, now that I look at it, maybe the IN one isn't a glitch. The cards aren't exactly lined up with her hitbox, but it is so close that one would think that that would kill her. I was pretty sure that their hitboxes were a bit bigger than that though.

Real Edit: Another IN bug, with stage 4a boss Reimu. Apparently, only in spell practice, when you fight this spell, and she flies off screen, the spell practice ends and marks it as a failed attempt. Haven't tested this myself yet but this is pretty interesting. ZUN probably forgot to add a block of code for that part, I'm guessing. :P
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:26:24 AM by Agent of the BSoD »
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 03:28:59 PM »
Hisoutensoku Glitch - Flat Youmu
Youmu was always flat.  >_>...

Fake Edit: Actually, now that I look at it, maybe the IN one isn't a glitch. The cards aren't exactly lined up with her hitbox, but it is so close that one would think that that would kill her. I was pretty sure that their hitboxes were a bit bigger than that though.
Yeah, that definitely looks like hitbox sizes to me.  Yukari's is already pretty small, and the amulet hitboxes are much smaller than they appear (around pellet-size I think?).

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 12:21:17 AM »
Occasionally, when you beat Flandre's Cranberry Trap, two bullets from the spell card will remain as Flan continues onward with her second non-spell.

Here's an old replay of it happening.  But it certainly was not the last time that it happened to me.

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=13400

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 12:27:23 AM »
Occasionally, when you beat Flandre's Cranberry Trap, two bullets from the spell card will remain as Flan continues onward with her second non-spell.

Here's an old replay of it happening.  But it certainly was not the last time that it happened to me.

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=13400
Um, yeah.
My video on youtube shows that too btw. :3
TF2 Backpack

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 05:12:43 PM »
Hey, Donut, do you still have that screenshot of Kurumi on lunatic with her single bullet she throws at you right before the dialogue? It might not be a bug, but it's still kinda weird.

Here's some more, cause I really, REALLY, love glitches. <3
I think they're pretty funny, as well. :3c Haven't found too many on my own, though (save things like MarisaBugged).