Author Topic: Press X, Win Battle - Let's list the lesser-known glitches in Touhou!  (Read 42109 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Press X, Win Battle - Let's list the lesser-known glitches in Touhou!
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 05:23:26 PM »
Hey, Donut, do you still have that screenshot of Kurumi on lunatic with her single bullet she throws at you right before the dialogue?

I don't recall ever taking a screencap of it. ??? I never thought of that as a glitch, more as Kurumi making a cheap shot. She's not confident enough to think she can win by fighting fair. :(
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 05:24:40 PM »
Hey, Donut, do you still have that screenshot of Kurumi on lunatic with her single bullet she throws at you right before the dialogue? It might not be a bug, but it's still kinda weird.
Yeah, that always happens on Lunatic (maybe not on min rank?).  I believe she'll shoot a second one too a bit later if you're at max rank.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 05:27:45 PM »
I don't recall ever taking a screencap of it. ???
That's how you showed me the cheap shot in question. and if the screenshot doesn't exist, go grab it now

Yeah, that always happens on Lunatic (maybe not on min rank?).  I believe she'll shoot a second one too a bit later if you're at max rank.
You do raise an interesting question, albeit indirectly: How do we separate the bugs from the features in Touhou? Some are obvious, some are not. (I like to think MAlice Cannon is a feature.)

Also, I'm surprised to see less DS/StB/GFW glitches than I thought there would be.

nintendonut888

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 05:38:50 PM »
That's how you showed me the cheap shot in question. and if the screenshot doesn't exist, go grab it now

From my memory, I told you about it way back when, and you were all "whut" and then came back after trying it and was all "omg Kurumi iz so awwsuuuume." :* But if you really want it, a video will do better.

Also, I'm surprised to see less DS/StB/GFW glitches than I thought there would be.

Hmm...I don't think this one's been mentioned:

In Fairy Wars, if you deathbomb, the secondary bomb counter in the lower part of the screen won't show you as losing a bomb, though the actual perfect freeze counter will indeed drop by 100%.

Oh! And one regarding MoF extra: I don't understand exactly how it works, but if you start the fight on top of Suwako for whatever reason, her first spell card will completely bug out and become nearly impossible. Video
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »
Oh! And one regarding MoF extra: I don't understand exactly how it works, but if you start the fight on top of Suwako for whatever reason, her first spell card will completely bug out and become nearly impossible. Video
I'd call this one more of a feature than a bug. At the very beginning of the card, the waves are 'aimed' for the rest of the attack - the waves will keep closing in on whatever direction you were away from Suwako at the time. In this vid, he was probably to the right of Suwako (however slightly) as the card started. IIRC, you can sit behind Suwako at the start and move back down immediately, and ignore the waves entirely since they're heading upwards. :V
Let's fight.

Drake

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 08:38:53 PM »
Yeah, but the aiming is definitely unintentional. It might have been intentional at some point, but I kind of out it was kept on purpose.

calling malice cannon a feature is just an excuse to use it without feeling as cheap as mof marisab lol

[ruro]Yeah but IN is a terrible game so :derp:[/ruro]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:57:15 PM by Sanya S. Rurovyak »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 11:10:45 PM »
Beat you to it :3

MoF - This (see first spell for effects)

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 11:24:37 PM »
Of course you can feel less cheap than MarisaB. At least with Malice Cannon, you still have to dodge.

That, and the team is still bad even with it.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 01:01:43 AM »
DS has stage 12-6.
StB has glitchy boss appearances.
GFW has history issues, which an unofficial patch fixes. :3
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

nintendonut888

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2011, 02:13:07 AM »
Don't forget the glitch in all games from MoF on where the score.dat can get corrupted randomly.  :] I've had it happen multiple times for MoF, UFO and Fairy Wars.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2011, 09:07:35 AM »
Don't forget the glitch in all games from MoF on where the score.dat can get corrupted randomly.  :] I've had it happen multiple times for MoF, UFO and Fairy Wars.
What?
I've never had that happen in those games. I've had a score.dat get "corrupted", I guess. I mean, it didn't get damaged at all, just confused. It was IN and Reisen's last spell (not word) in my spell practice for Border Team says 1/1 for the capture. I actually tried it just a few times, and failed them all. Loaded it up some time later to find that. ??? No idea why.

The other time was with SWR. It was determined that I hadn't beaten story with all the characters and reset me back to the standard when you haven't played it yet. Odd thing about it was that my Result screen showed that I cleared it with every character in the game. I'm not sure how it came to the conclusion that I hadn't cleared it when I had. Luckily, I made a backup of my score file for that game a few days before that happened, so I didn't lose anything except a few cards I unlocked.

Other than that, no other score.dat's have been damaged. However, my SoEW consistently gets screwed up (I don't use savestates), to where at the end of fighting Mima, right when she's done dying, I get the evil red lettered text saying STOP and japanese characters everywhere. The high score table, when viewed under this, is a garbled mess, with random text in every which way on the screen. My score stuff in that game is good at getting screwed up. But only that one. It's not like it was a well designed game anyway.
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »
PoFV extra komachi fight:
First fight - 50 seconds
second fight - 26
3 - 20
4 - 20
5 - 120
6 - 55
7 - 50
8 - 45
9 - 28

Reimu after that - 55 seconds o.O (should be 120)

I don't know if this is a bug or not.

EDIT:
omg... and extra against marisa timer change:
1st fight - 45 or 40 (forgot)

EDIT2:
Extra mode reimu battle durations:
1st- 120 seconds
2nd- 50
8th:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:29:14 AM by touhoumaniac »

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »
For some reason I read that as replays before.  Which now reminds me to bring up the point that MoF replays will sometimes crash at the end, and SA replays will sometimes desync :(.  Not sure if other 10+ game replays desync.

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 11:22:28 AM »
Is it normal for komachi, after having died against her previously 4 times, to survive in easy mode for almost 4 minutes? :V

I sense easy mode high score abuse potential.
Theory:
Extra timer is hidden for story mode, but the same algorithms still dictate the flow of the game. Also minimum time to survive for a opponent player acts in a similar way. I watched one of my easy replays and saw that komachi died in 2:35 or 165 seconds (so perhaps about 150 seconds if removing the time dilations for spell card shooting), so if easy works like extra, then komachi will potentially be able to survive for at least 150 / 50 = x / 120 >>> x = 360 or about 6 minutes :3

EDIT:
Actually the second time i tried this komachi died just before 4 minutes. And easy reimu dies also at 4 minutes so i suspect that extra 120 seconds = easy 240 seconds or 4 minutes. For easy mode this wont be any good, but maybe for higher difficulties considering how long the final battle can potentially last there
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:10:22 PM by touhoumaniac »

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 02:58:07 PM »
Hey, Donut, do you still have that screenshot of Kurumi on lunatic with her single bullet she throws at you right before the dialogue? It might not be a bug, but it's still kinda weird.
WHAT IS A MAN!? *glass crashes*

Anyway I remember during the fade-out sequences in PCB and IN after beating a final boss, if you quit to the main screen the screen will continue fading out. Then, things returns to normal. More funny than anything else.

I also remember leftovers from Murasa's Sinking Vortex carried onto her 3rd and most horrible nonspell, from the top of the screen. D: Its a very consistent bug, happens if you shoot her to death without bombing, or some other requisite, cant remember much.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2011, 04:53:20 PM »
I also remember leftovers from Murasa's Sinking Vortex carried onto her 3rd and most horrible nonspell, from the top of the screen. D: Its a very consistent bug, happens if you shoot her to death without bombing, or some other requisite, cant remember much.
That sounds more like a feature since, come one, she's Nazrin Captain Murasa MOTHERFUCKING Minamitsu.
/kidding

nintendonut888

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2011, 05:26:41 PM »
It's more of a feature, but one minor obscure detail is that Byakuren's hitbox disappears after her third spell card in UFO. Sadly this makes her Superhuman Soccer maneuver impossible. ;_;

And on that note, boss hitboxes just plain don't exist in LLS. :] They were there in SoEW, back in MS, but missing from LLS.

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2011, 10:44:04 PM »
And on that note, boss hitboxes just plain don't exist in LLS. :] They were there in SoEW, back in MS, but missing from LLS.
Really?  I always thought it was just the Getsu sisters.  I should keep that in mind for double spark.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2011, 12:06:51 AM »
:o
How did I miss that?
TF2 Backpack

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2011, 08:39:09 AM »
Does the spellcard bonus look a bit off to you?  :]

[attach=1]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:45:46 AM by Arcorann »

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2011, 06:22:10 PM »
Does the spellcard bonus look a bit off to you?  :]

[attach=1]
Oh right, I forgot about that. Baity put that up on Youtube btw. Here.
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
PoFV reisen level 1 spell at point blank range in case the enemy dies before bullet from level 1 spell either explodes or appears results in bullet (or explosion?) teleporting immediately to the top of the screen.

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2011, 04:39:39 PM »
Not really sure if I'd call it a glitch (more of a bug, really), but Youmu's bomb in the Ten Desires demo will cause replays to desync. I have one saved where, during the run, her bomb took out three fairies out of four, and I shot the last one to death. In the replay, it only took out two of them -- one being the one I killed normally -- so I ended up shooting at empty space and eventually running into bullets. I believe it caused me to game over just before reaching boss!Kyouko even though I'd 1cced the run.

There's also a Soku glitch I know of, but given the title of the video, I'd feel a bit narcissistic for linking it. Essentially, if you manage to light up all seven orbs of Fantasy Heaven on the third round just as the timer for activation runs out, you'll hear the music, but won't actually use the attack.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:48:33 PM by Komardj Onozuka »

nintendonut888

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2011, 04:48:33 PM »
Speaking of replay desynchs, MoF stage 4 sometimes desynchs in replays for an unknown reason. For a more consistent problem with an equally unknown cause, full game replays will always desynch on SA stage 6 if the replay starts from that stage. The only way around it is to start from stage 5 or earlier.

EDIT: Aah, I just remembered another one. For how much it's hated, HRtP is pretty bug-free (made up for of course by quirks in the game engine). There are two bugs I can think of:

1. Whenever you try and fire Reimu's ofuda spam, there's a good chance it will turn into a bomb instead. This is more a mapping issue than anything, but it's all the more reason to never use this useless technique.

2. Sometimes, the game will crash upon dealing the final blow to Sariel.

Oh, and if it hasn't been explicitly mentioned, the STOP KEY bug will essentially end your current play session at complete random with an unescapable black screen. Of course, this is an emulator glitch that would be solvable with the click of a button if it were played on a real PC-98. I call it a glitch because it happens even if you don't have the stop key mapped to the keyboard.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:11:26 PM by nintendonut888 »

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2011, 01:26:55 AM »
Yeah, that stop key screen just kills me. Apparently Next likes to destroy the score files in SoEW for me. Hasn't happened much to the others. (actually at all)

Also, not sure on this one, but on my system, using the Preload bgm into memory option in the custom.exe for PoFV causes the music to stick to the title screen music when listened to under the Music menu for every song. Not sure if that's just my computer or if everyone has that issue.

And I'm just gonna point this out because no one else has, on the topic of replays, IaMP loves to screw up story mode replays when fighting Youmu and Yukari. Youmu is the most often case, and I have examples of screwed up replays too. They get to the point where they just stand there and don't do anything, because at that point, the match is over, even though the replay shows them still alive.

AND, one more to point out about replays. On SWR, when viewing a story mode replay, the music often quits. Usually stage one music will be gone, or it'll be there but the rest of the stages will be silent. (sound effects still happen) It killed me when I was trying to record the Patchouli lunatic 1cc for Youtube because I had to keep starting over.
TF2 Backpack

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2011, 01:53:23 AM »
And I'm just gonna point this out because no one else has, on the topic of replays, IaMP loves to screw up story mode replays when fighting Youmu and Yukari. Youmu is the most often case, and I have examples of screwed up replays too. They get to the point where they just stand there and don't do anything, because at that point, the match is over, even though the replay shows them still alive.
Watching replays in th075tool will fix this however.

Since you mentioned PoFV, I will also just mention all the bugs with Adonis.  And by mention them all, I mean just pointing out that it has a lot of bugs >_>.

nintendonut888

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2011, 02:19:12 AM »
Is the STOP KEY glitch really that common on Next? It's happened exactly once for me on Anex86. ???

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2011, 02:28:21 AM »
Yup, I remember the STOP KEY problem. It happened to me a couple years ago when I was playing LLS.

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2011, 03:33:47 AM »
For the longest time, it happened to me very often, till I wiped the scores and replaced them with a backup I made. EditDisk is so very helpful with this.
Also, it didn't matter which emulator I used, it showed up on both. Though I was using Next when this was created so...

It was happening with SoEW when the english patch was first released. It showed up ONLY when Mima was defeated, right then and there without fail. (didn't matter which shot type either)

EDIT: Does this make it appropriate to say MIMA SAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :trollface:
TF2 Backpack

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »
Guys you're starting to list obvious glitches.

Happy ANZAC Day.

Also a big :| at donut for a certain something.
* Baity glares harder
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者