Author Topic: 東方 神霊廟 ~ Touhou Ten Desires [TRIAL], an article full of desires and SPOILERS!  (Read 274121 times)

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
There's 7 normal tracks, and they change when you enter spirit mode. You can't actually listen to them in the Music Room, though.
They change completely? IIRC I only heard filters and flangers...

=plays with louder volume=

e: Oh, I see, it does.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:28:36 AM by The Blueberry Cheesecake »

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
Oh god Sanae I forgive you. Your shottype is just too damn awesome in this game.

I'm thoroughly happy with the game and really look forward to seeing the complete thing because this is awesome stuff. The music is fantastic as always ZUN's art skills are getting pretty good.

Also the game automatically wins because of ThrillerLoli.

KomeijiKoishi

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
I couldn't get any sprites, hence the ingame screenshots for the article =[ ZUN seems to have updated his file structure and BrightMoon and Anm2Png were not functional.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.

Vicks

• Hurr Durr
  • WRYYYY
There seems to be a glitch with Youmu. Whenever I go into focus / charged slash for her while holding down fire, I can't seem to move left. Moving right still works though. Anyone else having this?
I am a thinker. I cast light on various concepts. I can unveil the world's dark secrets if I so please. And yet, there is a single enigma that even I cannot clarify.  - Renko Usami

I am a dreamer. I wander through countless dreams. If I will, I can even walk the roads of the land of illusion. And yet, there is a single vision that even I cannot grasp. - Maribel Han

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Random trivia:
Those are the character titles for the playable characters:
>五欲の巫女
> 強欲の魔法使い
>我欲の巫女
>死欲の半霊

Note how they all have the same second kanji? Trance explained that it means "Want/Desire". So Zun even put the Desires theme into the character titles. Clever~

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
There seems to be a glitch with Youmu. Whenever I go into focus / charged slash for her while holding down fire, I can't seem to move left. Moving right still works though. Anyone else having this?
Probably a keyboard wiring issue, are you playing on a laptop?
I for example, can only hold down 2 butons on the left side (usually that's shift and Z). So every time I want to bomb I have to release shift first, which is not very good for deathbombing.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a chaining system in here?

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
Oh, and awesome work making Yoshika the new Meiling; both are bad guards.

Meiling isn't a bad guard (unless you mean fandomMeiling). Though something tells me Yoshi might end up being the new fandom buttmonkey.

Anyway, I beat the game with  both Reimu and Youmu (I tried Sanae, but after playing with Youmu, she seems boring, so I quit for the night) without encountering any bugs or crashes like some of you did.

I will say that I love Yoshi's theme.

I'm not enjoying it.

Almost everything seems to be a downgrade from UFO. Don't like the stages, as much of the music, gimmicks (seriously, these might be worse than UFO's gimmicks outside of King Kraken Strike's), score system, extend system.

Best thing is how he combined shottypes into one.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
Why do I get a vibe of the UFO plot here? As in, people are waiting for someone to open/unseal/break something and the heroines are going to do exactly this?  :V

And omfg Yuyuko and Kogasa. ZUN must have thought the same things.

Hmmm. Lets recap.
Number one. Collecting spirits. iirc theres some sort of folktale in japan that has one spirit eating another, gaining its power. A certain someone is a spirit.
Number two, the relation to UFO. As where I quoted, it seems that the doors of the temple in stage3 have been closed for a very long time. Who else is a spirit that's been gone for a very long time?
Number three, Pretty much every character we have seen is a spirit of some kind. There's Yuyuko, Whos a ghost, which I usually would see as a form of spirit. Theres the first stage midboss, and the stage two boss who is something to do with echoes. I remember something about her saying that she's some kind of yamabiko in Sanae's route, along with Kyouko: Incidentally, attacking humans is also part of the service.
There's also Kogasa who is an item that wasnt used for 100 years, which I guess counts as a spirit. And zombies count as spirits too :V
Number four, A certain evil spirit we all know has a pretty big ego. It's clear she would make a temple about herself.

Number 5 ZUN is hinting at Mima quite a lot in the demo. That or I'm over predicting.

Oh and number 6 Byakuren is from Makai, as she was sealed away there. Who else do we know thats from there?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:49:48 PM by Kips McKipzerson »

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
Regarding the risk of collecting spirits - this seems to be a very score-centric game, with the pattern difficulty toned down to make up for the more complex mechanics. Pointblanking for spirits/hyper meter is beneficial to both scoring and survival (unless you die obviously) - pretty often it's possible to try and kill off enemies before they actually fire, so it rewards a very aggressive playstyle. Hopefully this will encourage people to play for score, bizarre as the thought may be. :P Speedkilling enemies is usually rewarded with further enemies to kill, which often contain life or bomb pieces - it plays out sort of like Dangun Feveron with hypers and not-insane ship speeds.

Also, they're totally hypers, not trance mode. Hypers they are and hypers I will continue to call them. >:V
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:53:37 PM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

BeyPok?Dig

• Eajy modo player
  • Shou puts both "laser" and "shou" in lasershow.
WE GUESSED EVERYTHING
EVERYTHING
WE WIN

:o

Also, the music owns, as usual. And spellcards are beautiful, even on easy.
Why so nanoka?
Kaguya vs. Mokou

marukyuu

• "Why always ATAI?"
  • The strongest striker...?
OK, I tried it out, and this is what I think.

EASY MODO is way easier than IN Easy. My only deaths were due to my over-aggressive play in the stage sections.
Normal is still quite easy, I managed to 1cc it with Raymoo on my second try - mind you, I'm no Touhou guru, and I haven't played for like two months. I'll move up to Hard once I've cleared Normal with all shot types.

Reimu's shot type might be good for beginners. It feels like IN Border Team without Ran homing in on the enemies when focused.
Marisa feels underpowered when unfocusing. Her lasers are no longer piercing, but she makes up for that with magic missiles which pack quite a punch. Master Spark is awkward, it can now be angled, but I can't figure out how. Also no item autocollection when bombing... meh.
Sanae's got UFO MarisaB's shot, but now it doesn't seem completely useless. I like it. Bomb is meh.
Youmu... well, she's weird at first. It's basically MarisaA from MoF. Charged slashes seem very powerful, but having to be pretty close to the enemies, or, even worse, bosses, kind of sucks. She does, however, feel more fun to use than MoF MarisaA.

The spirit system is way more fun than collecting those pesky UFO tokens flying around. It rewards taking huge risks, since the spirits tend to appear high up on the field near the POC and around bosses - I see scorerunners hugging them and taking advantage of Trance Mode when they have the chance.
Speaking of which, Trance is cool but impractical. Not being able to trigger it manually when the gauge isn't full prevents abusing it, which is fine by me, but also prevents using it any time it's needed the most, that is with green and purple spirits around. Learning optimal Trance activation timings is still feasible - I don't know how much of a penalty going PICHUN right before a planned Trance might be, I only hope it's possible to make up for such mistakes later. The game is also particularly stingy with extra resources this time around. Beginners might be penalized a little too much for dying and not capitalizing on good Trance opportunities. It might also prevent deathbombing with more than 1/3 of the gauge full - Trance won't activate with less than that. I wasn't able to test deathbombing, so I might be wrong about it. :derp:
It's a demo, though, things might change a little bit in the full version. I hope.

Meeting Yuyuko as a Stage 1 boss was unexpected and quite... boring gameplay-wise (I still haven't tried Hard and Lunatic, I hope the fight gets interesting). Kogasa... well, was not a surprise, as usual. She's fun to fight, though, at least on Normal.
As for Kyouko and Yoshika... they're unremarkable compared to, say, Nazrin, Kogasa, and even Ichirin. They lack those traits that make them stand out from the rest of the cast. Their danmaku are also meh. There's still hope for the other bosses, though.

Music is hit and miss. I love the menu song and all the stage themes bar none, but I can't say the same about the boss themes.

It might not be the best Touhou ever since Mountain of Faith, but I like this game a lot and I see myself playing the full version over and over as soon as I can get ahold of a copy.

Also, IF I SEE THAT FUCKING MIMA ONE MORE TIME  >:(

:getdown:

EDIT: fixed image macro. My site always acts stupid when it comes to linking images :derp:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:55:33 PM by marukyuu^ »
<-- Sig by Suikama

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
Holy shit, you people went ballistic overnight.

But yeah, Mima is coming.

*in my bones*\

:getdown: :getdown:
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
Holy shit, you people went ballistic overnight.
also this
i had to go through 5 pages jesus christ guys

Honestly, I'll be suprised if ZUN doesnt put Mima in there. A million things and their mother are pointing to her, and the fans have been demanding her to be in the next "hoes on my toes" game.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
I'm also surprise of the lack of "YAY! REIMU'S SLEEVES ARE STILL DETACHED!" comments.

I noticed the detachment just now.  :V
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

7TC7

• In best company
So yeah, I'm either having terrible timing (even when forcing it) or deatbombing simply doesn't exist in this game. I'd bet it's the second option, which is a first since the PC98 games, I guess?

On another note, I love how the stage description wiggles around at the beginning of each stage. Kinda eerie.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
Confirming bug: Occasional game crash after finishing Yoshika's last card. If it has anything to do with it, I was playing as Youmu...

Deathbombing is still there, though it doesn't appear to work if you have at least 1/3 of the hyper meter. Have less than that and you can still deathbomb.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
Other than giving me a craving for human flesh, the demo isn't doing much for me. But then neither did the SA demo, and that one turned out great.

7TC7

• In best company
Deathbombing is still there, though it doesn't appear to work if you have at least 1/3 of the hyper meter. Have less than that and you can still deathbomb.

I tried that, which is the reason I even mentioned forcing my self into a deathbomb situation. Maybe I really do have no timing today or the timegap between getting hit and dieing is very small in this game? I don't seem to be able to pull it off.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

BeyPok?Dig

• Eajy modo player
  • Shou puts both "laser" and "shou" in lasershow.
Did anyone else think "INVISIBLE STEERING WHEEL!" when seeing Yoshika's sprite for the first time?
Why so nanoka?
Kaguya vs. Mokou

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
Prologue available in ZUN's site translated.

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Ten_Desires/Translation/Prologue

I love how ZUN will go with this:
復活が近いことに笑みを浮かべ――   そして復讐を誓った。
As her resurrection drew near, her grin grew deeper - and she vowed for her vengeance.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:06:42 PM by Sedrife »

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
I'm seriously going to hate ZUN if with the actual game he's all like "GUISE IM GOING TO CHANGE THE SCRIPT SO MIMA WAS NEVER HINTED AT KAY?"

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
> Once again vowed for her vengeance.
> once again
> vengeance

It's going to take a very elaborate setup to prank us with a line like this.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
But Mima's already in the game.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/exitjmouse/aheartfeltreunion.jpg

(also: it doesn't say vengeance on whom, probably some bitter old youkai/spirit that was sealed away and wants to attack the human village in general or something)
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
Sorry for confusion.  In the original text, there's no "once again", so I fixed that up.

> Once again vowed for her vengeance.
> once again
> vengeance

It's going to take a very elaborate setup to prank us with a line like this.