Author Topic: 東方 神霊廟 ~ Touhou Ten Desires [TRIAL], an article full of desires and SPOILERS!  (Read 274931 times)

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
At best, like how Byakuren was a tribute to Shinki, this new boss might be a tribute to Mima in some way.

Despite a likely chance that the culprit behind it all will not be Mima, they both carry similar motives as we have witnessed in PC-98 era.  Not necessarily as explicit as Byakuren's Great Devil spell, but in terms of the context of it all, I think.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
Oh god...

This just SCREAMS Mima.

Please be kind to us for once, ZUN! Let us not be punk'd for once!

*grovel*
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
But Mima's already in the game.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/exitjmouse/aheartfeltreunion.jpg

(also: it doesn't say vengeance on whom, probably some bitter old youkai/spirit that was sealed away and wants to attack the human village in general or something)

>Byakuren was in Makai
Who else is, as far as we know right now, In Makai? This game, so far, is tieing in with UFO. It would only make sense that in the grave behind Byakuren's temple is some sort of summoning circle, which Mima will then fly out of.

That or a new character, but that would make way too many Makai residents.
Oh god...

This just SCREAMS Mima.

*grovel*
basically this

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
It's about as exciting as when ZUN hints that Mima is likely Marisa's mother in his music commentary in his remix of Reincarnation.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

The bug with Yoshika crashing is when she eats spirits at the exact time she's exploding. The game doesn't know what to do with the healing factor when she's already dead, flips out, and crashes. It's a pretty big issue, and you can only resolve it with vigilance and timing. ZUN really needs to fix it by the time the full game rolls around, or this will be extremely annoying.

That still doesn't change the fact that Yoshika is the best character in the game thus far and all of you know it.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
I'll post my sentiments.

Eh...the game's alright so far. Compared to UFO's demo, which was the first demo I played, this seems underwhelming. Of course, not everything can be BROFISTs that shake the screen. On the music, it reminds me of Great Fairy Wars, which is cool for the stages, but I'm not a fan of it for the bosses. Course, the mood of this game probably closer to GFW than UFO and SA, so it might grow on me.

The score mechanics confuse me. What's the point of the little spirits? The explanation Hele gave seems to be only count toward the bigger looking ones. Also, if the big ones grow small enough

Also: I want a doujin with Micheal Jackson's ghost teaching the the 3rd boss Thriller.

One more thing, a bunch of you guys thought Kogasa when seeing third boss, but did you guys think Nazrin when seeing 2nd boss?

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Another morning of scoring shenanigans. I never expected this game's scoring system to be so... what's the word, attractive? Even though I keep getting mad at myself for dying stupidly over and over. ::) Anyway, here's my latest result after Stage 2's stage portion. Didn't 1cc because I still don't know what's what in Stage 3, but I beat my previous high score by around 50% at Kogasa.

Yeah, Trance Mode is essentially hypers from other shooting games. I kinda expect both terms to be thrown around at some point. Also, I wonder if being unable to deathbomb with at least 1 Trance icon is ZUN's way of teaching us to bomb rather than deathbomb. Whole portions of this game feel like he's trying to make some sort of transition into how other shooting games typically play.

Considering that I've only ever played Lunatic here, I don't know first-hand how much easier the lower difficulties are supposed to be than other games. But TD's Lunatic honestly doesn't feel much less difficult than before. The first two stages alone feature quite a few attacks that force you to read bullets from above and both sides at the same time (well, at least I find that somewhat hard), and even Kogasa requires SA-level amounts of precision movement. Since I still haven't played much of Yoshika, I don't know if she will continue on any of these trends (I know how her final works, but I don't want to get spoiled on the rest yet).

I noticed something a little odd about Reimu's homing shot. Depending on your position and the enemy's movement, it's possible to get the amulets to keep circling around them. Doesn't happen often, but still a bit unneeded when it does.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
Also about the hints of Mima returning, it might just as well hiting that it's Shinki who's making a comeback.

I mean, it's more likely that Shiki's the one leading a zombie army and attracting spirits than Mima doing so, not to mention Byakuren's Shikipatterns in UFO.

Just throwing the idea out there.  :V

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project

I noticed something a little odd about Reimu's homing shot. Depending on your position and the enemy's movement, it's possible to get the amulets to keep circling around them. Doesn't happen often, but still a bit unneeded when it does.

Noticed that too.  Some unneeded and couple of bugs here and there for ZUN to fix.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
So on a hunch I did a little experimentation.  Guess how many quick kills you need to do to get grey spirits to start to spawn?  (Hint: 10  :V)

And yeah, I think the games kindness towards scorerunning is one of the reasons I'm enjoying it so much.  It rewards the soft memorization I'm good at.  Just get a feel for the flow of the enemies, then shoot where they're going to appear for shinys.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
By the way, is anyone able to get a smaller screen resolution? Seems like it stays on fullscreen no matter what you choose.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
>Byakuren was in Makai
Who else is, as far as we know right now, In Makai? This game, so far, is tieing in with UFO. It would only make sense that in the grave behind Byakuren's temple is some sort of summoning circle, which Mima will then fly out of.

Who else? YuugenMagan, Elis, Sariel, Sara, Luise/Luzie, Yuki, Mai, Yumeko, and Shinki. And to tie in with UFO, it's much more realistic to link it to Byakuren's group, which more likely means something about Buddhism, youkai/human racism, or the history of her group/her personal history. Who knows, maybe it's the spirit of whoever sealed her away, or a youkai that hated her years ago?

And why would she want to summon Mima anyway :V

This is hilarious.

I cried manry tears. There will be a reckoning.

Cry some more, ze! Just you wait until I find some way to get a decent recording of that replay I put together.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Welp, turns out it wasn't Myouren himself after all.. Mima is a good guess now, but I hope it'll actually be a new character.

everfeather

• Patron saint of ferrets
Another morning of scoring shenanigans. I never expected this game's scoring system to be so... what's the word, attractive? Even though I keep getting mad at myself for dying stupidly over and over. ::) Anyway, here's my latest result after Stage 2's stage portion. Didn't 1cc because I still don't know what's what in Stage 3, but I beat my previous high score by around 50% at Kogasa.

Yeah, Trance Mode is essentially hypers from other shooting games. I kinda expect both terms to be thrown around at some point. Also, I wonder if being unable to deathbomb with at least 1 Trance icon is ZUN's way of teaching us to bomb rather than deathbomb. Whole portions of this game feel like he's trying to make some sort of transition into how other shooting games typically play.

Considering that I've only ever played Lunatic here, I don't know first-hand how much easier the lower difficulties are supposed to be than other games. But TD's Lunatic honestly doesn't feel much less difficult than before. The first two stages alone feature quite a few attacks that force you to read bullets from above and both sides at the same time (well, at least I find that somewhat hard), and even Kogasa requires SA-level amounts of precision movement. Since I still haven't played much of Yoshika, I don't know if she will continue on any of these trends (I know how her final works, but I don't want to get spoiled on the rest yet).

I'm definitely enjoying the scoring system the most from this game. On another note any clue where the replays are? Or are they not stored separately for demos?

i'm doing score runs on normal because I'm not amazing, but I got that highscore of 53mil by playing half aggressive half safe (ended the run with 2 lives 1 bomb I think)

And this run on the picture was complete aggression but stopped about 3/4 of the way through the stage.

http://www.ressim.net/61/upload/84e91a20.png

after looking through my replay it seems the difference between aggressive and half aggressive playthrough was around 8 million in score at the same point in both playthroughs.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 04:03:49 PM by everfeather »

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Just to note, that last line in the prologue doesn't seem to have any implications towards a male or female character in the Japanese version. The "she" seems to be translator's choice probably because females in Touhou are most likely. But don't get hung up too much on that line for now.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Who else? YuugenMagan, Elis, Sariel, Sara, Luise/Luzie, Yuki, Mai, Yumeko, and Shinki. And to tie in with UFO, it's much more realistic to link it to Byakuren's group, which more likely means something about Buddhism, youkai/human racism, or the history of her group/her personal history. Who knows, maybe it's the spirit of whoever sealed her away, or a youkai that hated her years ago?

And why would she want to summon Mima anyway :V

This is hilarious.

Cry some more, ze! Just you wait until I find some way to get a decent recording of that replay I put together.

Thank you, Mouse. Nothing quite as obnoxious as seeing Mima fans DEMANDING her return and accusing the game creator of deliberately trolling them by not including her.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
Thank you, Mouse. Nothing quite as obnoxious as seeing Mima fans DEMANDING her return and accusing the game creator of deliberately trolling them by not including her.

Especially when she's already in already :smug:

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
That's not what I was personally going for at all. I'm making a logical guess, as there are characters I would prefer in this game MUCH more then Yuuka.
Really, no need to hate on the Mima fans.

That's not what I was personally going for at all. I'm making a logical guess, as there are characters I would prefer in this game MUCH more then Yuuka.

Well, if they learned to be less obnoxious then I would have more sympathy for them.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if any of the PC-98 characters reappeared or not.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
this.
I would enjoy Mima coming back because that would just be a plain silly thing for ZUN to do.

I still hate not being able to death bomb with 1/3 of your meter full. Why ZUN? :qq:

BeyPok?Dig

• Eajy modo player
  • Shou puts both "laser" and "shou" in lasershow.
As her resurrection drew near, her grin grew deeper - and vowed for her vengeance
This implies:
1) The person is not alive enough to be able to be resurrected
2) Somebody from Gensokyo is responsible for this (and it probably didn't happen in the outside world... but we can't rule that out) OR the person wanted revenge for something before her death, but died before she could manage it
3) Ability to grin
4?) Not male? (Is the original japanese text gender specific?) edit while writing: somebody posted about this meanwhile. not gender specific.

Possibilities:
New character based on some folk tale or ancient japanese history (Undead Giant Enemy Crab loli?) as usual.
Mima Magia
Spoiler:
not her canon surname obviously. I made that up.
Youki Konpaku, if someone killed... err, half-killed him. (I also like this theory, but he's male too) Not gender specific, yay!
Someone who was unjustly beaten by Reimu/Marisa (/Sanae?/Youmu?) and died afterwards (not necesarilly a result of the beating though!) (Shinki, Tokiko, some random PC98 unnamed midboss thingy, pretty much everyone with enough speculation, as you can see below:)
Kurumi (assuming she is not alive enough to be able to be ressurected)
Yuki might want revenge if she heard Mai
YuugenMagan (who wouldn't want revenge for being poked in the eyes!)

Impossibilities:
Myouren Hijiri (natural death if i'm not mistaken) (also he's male, so unless the japanese text wasn't gender specific, he's not the boss we are searching for. Move along.) Not gender specific
Remilia/Sakuya/whoever "Septette for the dead princess" refers to
Saigyou Ayakashi and/or unconsciously Yuyuko (i like this theory, but sadly i don't think Saigyou Ayakashi can grin...)
Yuka Kazami (probably still alive, also had her chance to have revenge in Touhou 9)

By the way, i think that if the person being resurrected is not the same person as the one resurrecting her, then stage 6 boss is resurrecter and EX is resurrectee (does this word exist?)
Why so nanoka?
Kaguya vs. Mokou

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
This implies:
1) The person is not alive enough to be able to be resurrected
2) Somebody from Gensokyo is responsible for this (and it probably didn't happen in the outside world... but we can't rule that out) OR the person wanted revenge for something before her death, but died before she could manage it
3) Ability to grin
4?) Not male? (Is the original japanese text gender specific?) edit while writing: somebody posted about this meanwhile. not gender specific.

Possibilities:
New character based on some folk tale or ancient japanese history (Undead Giant Enemy Crab loli?) as usual.
Mima Magia
Spoiler:
not her canon surname obviously. I made that up.
Youki Konpaku, if someone killed... err, half-killed him. (I also like this theory, but he's male too) Not gender specific, yay!
Someone who was unjustly beaten by Reimu/Marisa (/Sanae?/Youmu?) and died afterwards (not necesarilly a result of the beating though!) (Shinki, Tokiko, some random PC98 unnamed midboss thingy, pretty much everyone with enough speculation, as you can see below:)
Kurumi (assuming she is not alive enough to be able to be ressurected)
Yuki might want revenge if she heard Mai
YuugenMagan (who wouldn't want revenge for being poked in the eyes!)

Impossibilities:
Myouren Hijiri (natural death if i'm not mistaken) (also he's male, so unless the japanese text wasn't gender specific, he's not the boss we are searching for. Move along.) Not gender specific
Remilia/Sakuya/whoever "Septette for the dead princess" refers to
Saigyou Ayakashi and/or unconsciously Yuyuko (i like this theory, but sadly i don't think Saigyou Ayakashi can grin...)
Yuka Kazami (probably still alive, also had her chance to have revenge in Touhou 9)

By the way, i think that if the person being resurrected is not the same person as the one resurrecting her, then stage 6 boss is resurrecter and EX is resurrectee (does this word exist?)

Actually, this makes quite a lot of sense.
The only one that doesnt make sense is that reimu/sanae killed someone by accident or something, and I'm pretty sure they didnt. Also, The one with the cursed tree thing could make sense. After all, The tree could possess Yuyuko's real body and make her grin

also the ability to grin? are you mad thats fucking OP

Tengukami

Earlier on this page:

Oh god...

This just SCREAMS Mima.

*grovel*

basically this

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
"Oh hey look, He's a Mima fan, He MUST be obesssed with her!"
That logical guess is me taking parts of the script in the game itself, and thinking of who it could be. Although I didnt know that as Sakana said,
Just to note, that last line in the prologue doesn't seem to have any implications towards a male or female character in the Japanese version. The "she" seems to be translator's choice probably because females in Touhou are most likely. But don't get hung up too much on that line for now.
That the "she" part was just what the translator thought it was, because it makes sense of all the touhous that are girls.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi

Well, I was just hoping that ZUN wouldn't make a new character that's like Mima in almost every single way. I'd really hate that. And I also pointed out that it might not be Mima, but rather Shinki who might be coming back.

But I still want my bishonen Touhou. I'm rooting for Myouren and Youki.  :3

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
That logical guess is me taking parts of the script in the game itself, and thinking of who it could be.

[Author's Note: The astute reader will notice that Ryoga Hibiki
has what can best be described as a somewhat unusual logic system.
Rather than going from facts to conclusion, one starts at the
conclusion and jams the facts around it.
And in the minds of the
likes of Ryoga Hibiki and Tatewaki Kuno, we all KNOW what the
conclusion is.]

that's about all there is to say on the matter

Tengukami

"Oh hey look, He's a Mima fan, He MUST be obesssed with her!"

Wrong, Kip. I'm pointing out that you agreed with the sentiment that ZUN excluding Mima is somehow "punking" you guys. Just chill already.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
Welcome to 2009 (?).

I don't remember ZUN drawing hands as good as that.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
Okay, based on Marisa/Yuyuko dialog:
Yuyuko: "These are divine spirit children. Bundles of human desire."
Marisa: "Desires? Thought it might be something like that."

And then the prologue:
As her resurrection drew near, her grin grew deeper - and vowed for her vengeance
Someone apparently desires vengeance...

So, we've got the Desires part down, how about the Ten?
Spoiler:
Aside from, you know, this being the tenth straight-up shooter in the entire Touhou franchise?

Warning - Choo choo, Yukari gapped 4 trains on you.

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu