Author Topic: 東方 神霊廟 ~ Touhou Ten Desires [TRIAL], an article full of desires and SPOILERS!  (Read 274878 times)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
I actually usually end up focusing on my hitbox instead. :<

Jana

• mrgrgr
I can't find a single thing to complain about for this game, actually.

Sure, it's a bit buggy, but that's the demo, not the game itself. I've never had this much fun playing Touhou~
(And I'm pretty sure that's not "ooh new game" bias, since I was around for UFO and SA's demos too... :derp: )

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
To people who are whining about the spirits not moving and hard to collect - DON'T COLLECT THEM (if doing so would put you in danger, anyways). I agree that they're really annoying to get sometimes, but remember that this ain't UFO, most of the time it's just blue and gray spirits which aren't big deal to miss if you're just trying to 1cc (Stage 3 is the exception, not the norm). Aside from after spell cards (Where bosses don't fire for a while anyways, giving you time to collect them), you only see red/green spirits in very specific spots, and when you see them it's time for a Trance (invincibility) anyways to double their value.

So yeah.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
I actually usually end up focusing on my hitbox instead. :<
That too, but you can't do that while looking at the life bar anyway, can you :V
So why not make things convenient and allow us to use that glimpse moment to look at the boss *and* the life bar at the same time?

e: goddammit missed a page
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 05:02:10 AM by MomiSM »
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Alfred F. Jones

I think what annoys me most about the spirits is that they don't float downward, so you have to put yourself at constant risk to grab them by going up to where they are. If they floated downward even a little, that would be pretty sweet.

Spoiler:
but ultimately I think it's stupid to complain about something like this, because ZUN certainly isn't going to listen to this, so I see no real point in wishing for things to change from the demo to the full game.
[/sub]

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
The demo I've played of PCB was extremely different from the final. It had only MIDI, all the character sprites were different (which means it probably is the same one we've played), and the danmaku, while mostly the same in design, was very...rigid somehow. Like the game was just a rough prototype of the final. The cherry system, to put it simply, didn't even make supernatural borders.

Then there was the demo before that, which doesn't seem to be anywhere on the Internet. According to the wiki it had many spell cards that were removed entirely from the final. BV

I do agree that this demo is pretty buggy. To be fair to ZUN, with the earthquake situation and him needing to conserve power he probably hasn't had much time to bug test it even with the extended time.

EDIT: @the spirit situation, I think that risk was intentional. It seems that ZUN's idea behind this game was to tone down the difficulty and put the difficulty in scoring. My only complaint with the system is that it's too difficult to gain extends. Since ZUN did add the life fragment drop at the end of bosses in UFO between demoes, maybe this will be addressed in the final.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 05:05:05 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

I've been refreshing Zun's page for so long.. thank god lol.

It seems really hard to gain lives in that game though.. you cant miss anything and you get like 2 more lives over 2 stages.. what?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 05:10:21 AM by Drayen »

Since ZUN did add the life fragment drop at the end of bosses in UFO between demoes, maybe this will be addressed in the final.

He also changed the required amount of life pieces for a full life from three to four.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
I honestly only have a single problem with the demo.

Deathbombing. I fucking hate how if you have the bar thing filled up and you get shot, you're destined to die.... even though you had properly deathbombed. This little this is probably why I'm not enjoying this game too much.
._.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
A friend of mine who had absolutely no shooter experience (and is a klutz in general) managed to do better than me on her absolute first easy clear than my first try at easy did, by completely not knowing what the divine spirits were (she didn't even pay any attention to them) and just actively staying out of danger (while I actively sought after them and got rammed by fairies and stuff).

See? Don't complain about the spirits. Just ignore them. Most of them aren't essential anyways.

Alfred F. Jones

As for my feelings, I accidentally posted them in that dyna-Marisa thread by accident. :fail:
Admin powers put to good use.

See? Don't complain about the spirits. Just ignore them. Most of them aren't essential anyways.
Except the bomb and life ones, I guess.

I'm kind of indifferent towards this. The new bosses are kind of forgettable to me, and (I know this is heresy) the music doesn't leave a terribly good impression on me. Will still look forward to the full version for the characters, at least. Looking forward to a way of getting extends that doesn't involve great risk, as well.

Also looking forward to bofh hacking the music.dat to loop Thriller for all of stage 3

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
10D is clearly meant to be a game that rewards aggressive play, since the patterns are so sparse and dying gives you a chance to rack up some score. :V

Really, I don't think any touhou game gives you as much freedom of movement as 10D does.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
10D is clearly meant to be a game that rewards aggressive play, since the patterns are so sparse and dying gives you a chance to rack up some score. :V

Really, I don't think any touhou game gives you as much freedom of movement as 10D does.

Except it gives out less extends than CtC. Unless I'm missing something. I was never able to get over 2 extends no matter what I try (the best record I had was 1 extends plus 13/15 towards the second one).

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Also looking forward to bofh hacking the music.dat to loop Thriller for all of stage 3
It would've worked if there were more zombie enemies, and if at least one of the playable characters took off her hat and screamed "WOOO!".
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

I know eh, takes twenty minutes fo the fairies to summon up the courage to throw something at you. And when they finally do it's just some random shit instead of a beautiful pattern.

hiddenryuu

• Artist in Training
Could it be on purpose, I mean normal mode so far is pretty easy.  I'm not the best player and I managed to catch every card on normal (which never happened in the demo for me )

Although 10 is pretty harsh I guess.

nintendonut888

Many thanks cool admin guy girl.

I'm kind of indifferent towards this. The new bosses are kind of forgettable to me, and (I know this is heresy) the music doesn't leave a terribly good impression on me. Will still look forward to the full version for the characters, at least. Looking forward to a way of getting extends that doesn't involve great risk, as well.

That's what you say every game, at least for the characters ;3
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Jana

• mrgrgr

...This is probably why I like this game so much. People kept wondering why I'd zip around unfocused in my GFW replays...

I am enjoying the demo very much. Thanks for the birthday present, ZUN!

Anyway, I was really surprised at the return of Yuyuko and Kogasa. It leaves me to believe that others might make a return as well. I still think that if Mima were to show up, it would be as an EX boss. The only reason I'd like Mima to return is because I'd like ZUN to unite the two halves of his series a bit more. I don't like how the PC98 games are pretty much forgotten about. Ah, well.

Ok so 10D. Yes, it is incredibly easier than other titles, and that's fine. The "fused" shot types are interesting and are actually pretty fun. I don't really care for the Trance automatically kicking in when you die, though. Probably the biggest gripe I'd have is the sound effect for collecting the spirits. It makes me think a pinball machine is drowning out the music. I'm definitely enjoying the music.

Overall, pretty fun. I'm enjoying what I see, and I look forward to the finished product this fall. I'm going to go play some more.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
...This is probably why I like this game so much. People kept wondering why I'd zip around unfocused in my GFW replays...

Hell yes I love playing this game like a maniac, more than halfway up the screen at all times :V

Need to move up to Hard for it to be an actual challenge though. Really, I can't stress how easy it is.

Alfred F. Jones

Need to move up to Hard for it to be an actual challenge though. Really, I can't stress how easy it is.
Are you insane? I can't get through stage 2 normal without dying at least twice. :fail:

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
I found it easier too, as in I cleared it 1cc on my second try on normal.
This has never happened. Ever.

I like it :3
                                                                                   .

hiddenryuu

• Artist in Training
Of course we do have to consider that there are 3 more levels after that . and it'll be quite painful if you go in with 2 lives 0 bombs . Maybe it is the case of  "Extra lives aren't fully in yet."

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
Okay.  Multiple playthroughs done.

I agree with everyone saying the game is easier.  I actually had fun playing on Hard, and I 1cc Normal with Marisa.  Given my usual lack of skill that's pretty different.  I imagine ZUN doesn't have as many extra lives in for the demo (which makes some sense)

Not hyped for the characters, but I always take time to warm to them.  Stage music is kinda eh for me but not bad.  I might warm to a song or two as well.  And there are 4 more stages and bosses to go.

Oh, I also like how all the characters are playable.  Youmu's kinda odd (if really awesome), and Reimu is Easy Mode Hax, but there's no Marisa B to make my "get all the endings" play throughs utter pain.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
I 1cc'd on my first try on normal (which was my first try at the game). I've never done that. I usually get whacked somewhere between stages 2 and 3 on my first try. Not complaining, though. :3
I don't know why people are upset over the spirits not moving and staying where they are spawned. If you don't want to run into the next fairy, then get a feel for the patterns they appear in. It takes a few tries to feel the stage pattern out; it's not going to happen on the first run.

Oh, I have ask, but am I the only one who feels like ZUN 'shopped Kogasa's head to make Kyouko? Seriously, look at the two side by side and tell me if the thought doesn't pop up. Oh, and awesome work making Yoshika the new Meiling; both are bad guards, Yoshika apparently likes sleeping, and the hats with stars. I had to see Yoshika's picture outside the game to realize it, though.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Alfred F. Jones

I have no idea where everyone is coming from, this game seems brutally difficult :fail:

I finally managed a 1cc with Sanae, with two lives to spare and no bombs. Also, I took advantage of Trance mode to hell and back to do it.

Speaking of Trance mode

Also, the warping on Reimu's foot as she crosses to the red zone gives me Eversion vibes.
Yep, pressing a button to enter another world where everything looks different. I totally called it.

Vid of the whole game on normal for those who want to see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhEW4V1Fqxc

I...
Oh, I have ask, but am I the only one who feels like ZUN 'shopped Kogasa's head to make Kyouko? Seriously, look at the two side by side and tell me if the thought doesn't pop up. Oh, and awesome work making Yoshika the new Meiling; both are bad guards, Yoshika apparently likes sleeping, and the hats with stars. I had to see Yoshika's picture outside the game to realize it, though.

I though that too...Now we can expect new manga about Kyouko moving to SDM to work as a substitute for Meiling.
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

nintendonut888

...So, I just figured out you could enter trance mode without dying. I 1cc'd the demo on lunatic without ever knowing this.

I don't know if I should feel cool or really stupid. :fail:

On another note, I discovered another delicious bug. I saved a replay to study a small thing I did (thought I deathbombed when I had a bar in the trance gauge, but I was mistaken), and the replay didn't play back my inputs. Until I quit the game, I essentially had a stage practice. :3

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
...So, I just figured out you could enter trance mode without dying.
How

Enlighten the stupid noob

I didn't know it either :fail:
                                                                                   .