Author Topic: Why does searching not work? o.o  (Read 4784 times)

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
Why does searching not work? o.o
« on: April 15, 2011, 03:38:22 AM »
I don't understand, why does the search tool not work?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: Why does searching not work? o.o
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 03:42:52 AM »
Search has been disabled for the sake of lightening the load on the server, to hopefully speed things up a bit.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:23:42 AM »
Are there not alternatives?  Removing the search function seems like a bit much, given the consequences.  Now it's a pain to try to find something in the forum that you're looking for manually, and there is now an increased probability of threads popping up that are unnecessary and preventable, had the search function been active.

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:58:11 AM »
AJS:
There's always the option of using Google with site:shrinemaiden.org/forum.
It's not as good as the normal search, but much better than an excruciatingly slow forum.

... Hey, you could make search a premium feature. Pay money, find stuff. :V

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:23:59 AM »
i would

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:53:29 AM »
Are there not alternatives?  Removing the search function seems like a bit much, given the consequences.  Now it's a pain to try to find something in the forum that you're looking for manually, and there is now an increased probability of threads popping up that are unnecessary and preventable, had the search function been active.
Then maybe donate to the site so we have more resources for such features?  I'm sorry but we're at the limit of the hardware we have now, and some things are going to have to be disabled.  Search is always the first to go because it's one of the most resource-intensive functions a forum has.

AJS:
It's not as good as the normal search, but much better than an excruciatingly slow forum.
Exactly.  It's not like there aren't alternatives.  Google scrapes the vast majority of this site routinely.  It just won't be as up-to-date.

... Hey, you could make search a premium feature. Pay money, find stuff. :V
No, I would never make a basic feature a pay feature.  Maybe add-on stuff but something like search is pretty basic.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:05:56 AM »
AJS:
Google doesn't search the boards only members can view, though. Would it be possible to enable the forum's search for those boards only?

Also, for some reason a lot of Google's search results link here using https:// (which, on my end at least, always says that there's a problem with this site's security certificate). What's up with that?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:27:21 AM »
Google doesn't search the boards only members can view, though. Would it be possible to enable the forum's search for those boards only?
There's only 1 board that is member only now, and that's CPMC.  So no.

Also, for some reason a lot of Google's search results link here using https:// (which, on my end at least, always says that there's a problem with this site's security certificate). What's up with that?
We don't have a valid signed certificate.  They're not free.  It's a harmless error.

Mocking Morning

• Tonight We Stand In Circles!
  • DHS Danmaku Inspector
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:17:15 PM »
So, what is the monthly operating cost to keep this place running along anyways?
How many times have you woken up and asked yourself: What the hell am I doing?
Today, your plane did not blow up thanks to the cooperation of Touhou Girls and TSA Officers.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 01:04:43 AM »
~50/month