Author Topic: Spring 2011 Preview Thread  (Read 10439 times)

jigglyppuff8

• Speed Anime Trance 8
  • Alco Dolce
Spring 2011 Preview Thread
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:39:46 AM »
Next season's lineup

Good shows: Those without girls in their preview images; otherwise not moe. Madoka is OK too since it airs in spring.
Shit: Everything else; don't discuss.

[vic]Once the shows start airing, discuss those shows in their own threads![/vic]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:12:08 PM by Kogasa Tatara »

JT

Re: Spring 2011 "why don't they make good anime anymore?" thread
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 02:44:58 AM »
Are you being sarcastic? I seriously can't tell. We need a Poe's Law equivalent for People Who Are Cynical About Anime.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:48:02 AM »
get hype for yugioh zexaaaalll :smug:

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 02:52:37 AM »
Guaranteed watch: Kaiji S2
Giving it a try: Deadman Wonderland and Appleseed XIII
I'm waiting for reviews: Errything else

If you didn't watch Kaiji's first season, I have to say that it's definitely worth at least a look. Somehow, the mangaka managed to make a game of RPS thrilling and intriguing. I wound up watching Akagi because of it and didn't regret that either.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 02:53:41 AM »
Welp, looks like I won't be missing out on much.

* Matsanae Kochiya goes back to waiting for the Usagi Drop anime in Summer 2011

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: Spring 2011 Preview Thread
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 03:31:27 AM »
Title edited to be more relevant.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 03:40:07 AM »
I'm looking forward to Money of Soul and Electromagnetic Wave, and will probably check out Moshidora, Hanasaku and Ano Hana. Steins;Gate might also be cool. This might end up being like last fall, where I ended up following all my initial choices, or it might end up being more of the winter famine. Here's hoping for the best.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Lite?彼女

• きゃー!
  • Surprisingly Lite
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 03:44:32 AM »
what words should i use to describe lotte's toy?

Drake

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 03:51:59 AM »
Nichijou
CMSPC
Steins;Gate
Kaiji
also Lotte's Toy, Physiology Seminar and Sex for 30-year-olds obv
i want to watch at least one episode of beyblade

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 04:29:40 AM »
Health & Physical Education for 30-year olds
facepalm.jpg :fail:

World's First Love amongst other stuff seems pretty.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 07:37:24 AM »
Everyday Life seems to have less substance than other stuff KyoAni has picked up, but here's hoping they can do something good with it...

Wait, it's a full series right? Not just an OVA?

Dorian Loup

• Lurker
  • I'm a member now o/
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 11:44:45 AM »
Aria the Scarlet Ammo : J.C. Staff doesn't know how to make something different from a Shakugan no Shana remake?

Dog Days : Biscotti and Galette? O_o

I won't watch any serie I think, I'll keep it for later, as I won't have internet for almost 6 months. But there are some that could be interesting. Nothing really unique, but in all of this, one or two will be enough well made to hook me, I hope.
French noob!

Tengukami

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 02:46:58 PM »
what words should i use to describe lotte's toy?

I can think of two, and they rhyme with "mild fornography".

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 02:56:14 PM »
KAIJI 2 KAIJI 2 KAIJI 2

Have been waiting for months, years!
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 03:06:19 PM »
I can think of two, and they rhyme with "mild fornography".

* Matsanae Kochiya twitch.

I didn't even see that one when I had scanned through that the first time. 'Creepy as hell' comes to mind.

Everyday Life seems to have less substance than other stuff KyoAni has picked up, but here's hoping they can do something good with it...

Wait, it's a full series right? Not just an OVA?

'Substance' and 'KyoAni' aren't two words I'd always like to use in the same sentence. Do recall that these are the same folk who brought us Lucky Star and K-ON, which kind of lack substance, but are okay for turning your mind off and enjoying, if that's your sort of thing. Overall, I think it's gonna be popular.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 03:12:57 PM »
Great.  Now I have to wipe the vomit off my screen.

Sometimes I'm very very glad I watch almost no anime anymore.  Seriously, a sequel to Qwaser?  Have we truly fallen that low?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »
Great.  Now I have to wipe the vomit off my screen.

Sometimes I'm very very glad I watch almost no anime anymore.  Seriously, a sequel to Qwaser?  Have we truly fallen that low?

What I have been tending to do is only really pay attention to stuff that gets on the noitaminA block* (on that note, I really should pick up Hourou Musuko and Fractale sometime). I feel sort of conflicted this season, because C: The Money of(ry and AnoHana don't really look that interesting, but might be worth a preview, at least.

*There are obviously exceptions to this, as there are still diamonds in the rough out there.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 04:21:57 PM »
AF has defeated his own drunken stupor to bring you a post of utter importance and relevance:

watch anything and not judge a book by its cover.

to watch:
Deadman Wonderland - because the manga is awesome
Appleseed XIII - don't worry, this is almost certainly as awesome as the original Appleseed. trust me on this, I have a gut feeling.
Steins' Gate - the fact the art is directed by Huke* makes it all worth it.
Ao no Exorcist - why hello there Keikashi version 3.
Maria Holic Alive - COSPLAY ANGEL COSPLAY ANGEL
The World God Only Knows - certainly if you enjoy the first season, it is a good idea
Hanasaku Iroha - SEX HAIR SEX HAIR SEX HAIR GOD I LOVE HER HAIR HOW DO I GET HAIR LIKE HERS
Hen Zemi - sounds about good, Hen Zemi has a huge following as it is.

Questionable:
Tea for Universe, Tea for Life - definitely a selection for the ambitious, this is a show about tea, expect shenanigans and complex tea terms that are overly complicated because the Japanese have nothing else they can be proud of.
The money of Soul and whatever - This sounds like Wall Street, the anime. and mixing Gainax x Gonzo antics with it.
Fireball Charming - this smells so disney, and happy endlings... but I watch it because I heard the first Fireball was good
The Bridge to Starry Skies - while adhering to the girls cover comment, this one is actually promising because the game is rather attractive, the CD specials also promise something akin to Akaneiro.
Sofuteni - reminds me of Seitokai Ichizon, sounds about right
Aria the Scarlet Ammo - this is half and half, it sounds harem and probably is, but the art is by one of my fav artists leading the project so I am putting it on the list.

really questionable:
Moshidora - using Drucker management techniques on a baseball theme? this sounds... I dunno, weird.
Tiger and Bunny - it is a robot show/superhero show with a weird name. the PV doesn't seem all that promising either.
Under the Innocent Sky - needless to say I agree with Jigglypuff's view if it is a girl on the cover you don't wanna see it on this one.
Xmen - nothing that MAD HOUSE did was good. except maybe Ironman, but even that was draggy. seriously drop this.
Abnormal studies and whatever- ok, so it is sex with perverted teacher thing in a group, sounds cool and all, but nah
Lotte no Omocha! - this feels like... I dunno, that anime with what sexually aspirated 10 year olds or something in a kindergarten what-it's-called I have no idea.

I really dunno what to think:
Qwaser 2 : okay, so the story for the manga is really intense, dark and bloody, but the anime seems like a totally different world. to be fair, I am intensely insulted by how season 1 ended but I cannot foresee myself not giving season 2 a chance to convince me it was as good as it could have been from the manga.
Health and Physical 30 years olds - okay, this is odd. really odd. It reminds me of the gag manga by the guys who got you the mahjong politicians manga some might remember clearly, that 30 year old virgins become magicians and shit. is this an anime teaching you how to fap to lolis? I dunno/

This season's biggest disappointment:
NOT ENOUGH TRAPS EXCEPT FOR STEINS GATE AND MARIA HOLIC CONFIRMED

<-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Tengukami

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »
For you of all people to call Lotte no Omocha "really questionable" should tell everyone all they need to know.

And by that I mean that the series has crossed into really bad taste.

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 04:46:08 PM »
Steins;Gate and Blue Exorcist look to be the only things of interest to me, but I doubt I'll ever watch them.

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »
And by that I mean that the series has crossed into really bad taste.
Yeah I mean, I sat through Kodomo no Jikan without much of a problem (though most of it wasn't very enthralling) but this one would make me uncomfortable. I wish it was MEANT to be disturbing.
'Substance' and 'KyoAni' aren't two words I'd always like to use in the same sentence. Do recall that these are the same folk who brought us Lucky Star and K-ON, which kind of lack substance, but are okay for turning your mind off and enjoying, if that's your sort of thing. Overall, I think it's gonna be popular.
Yeah, but I'm saying this has even LESS substance than Lucky Star. If you read the original Lucky Star 4koma manga, you can see how much stuff KyoAni added in. I'm not comparing it to Haruhi here.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:38:40 PM by Noddles »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 05:52:56 PM »
I wish it was MEANT to be disturbing.Yeah, but I'm saying this has even LESS substance than Lucky Star. If you read the original Lucky Star 4koma manga, you can see how much stuff KyoAni added in. I'm not comparing it to Haruhi here.
I remember when KyoAni was before spring '07. They could do no wrong whatsoever.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 06:31:56 PM »
yo for the record though I loved Lucky Star and K-ON

but not as much as Hidamari Sketch~~

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 06:35:38 PM »
Yeah, but I'm saying this has even LESS substance than Lucky Star. If you read the original Lucky Star 4koma manga, you can see how much stuff KyoAni added in. I'm not comparing it to Haruhi here.

Haruhi is by far the exception of KyoAni when it comes to substance in my opinion-- VN adaptations notwithstanding-- (not so sure about Full Metal Panic though; haven't seen it).

I didn't like the Lucky Star anime as it was, so I have a feeling that the 4koma manga would bore me to sleep :S

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 08:42:18 PM »
I'm here to vouch for Gintama- that shit is hilarious. Don't let the episode count turn you off, seriously.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 09:09:22 PM »
Definitely watching Everyday Life because I found Episode 0 to be really enjoyable.

Also watching Electromagnetic, World God, Maria Holic, Sofuteni, Hidan no Aria, and Hen Zemi.

Gonna watch Fireball as well 'cause I saw the first season and I'm going to try Lotte though I have no clue how that'll turn out.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »
Nothing there I'll bother watching until the season's over.

Money of Soul, Deadman Wonderland and Stein's Gate all seem fairly intriguing. Getting good vibes from Ano Hana for no obvious reason. Will watch Everyday Life because it seems vaguely charming plus Kyoto Ani. I may also have to watch Abnormal Physiology Seminar because of the name.

Need to get through the prequels to TWGOK2, Gintama' and Maria Holic Alive before I even think about touching them.

Vanishing Sock Puppet

• Phantasmic Scribbler
  • brb exploding in a black hole
    • The Sock Drawer
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 01:09:58 AM »
When I hear about Lotte no Omocha, I kinda got morbidly curious and checked out the manga for shits and giggles.

Well, after subjecting myself to it, I must say...
Spoiler:
It's not that bad..no really I'm serious. Loli-nudity is rare, and is always played for comedy. Most of the major cast, especially the main male, is put off of the whole "feeding" idea. In fact, the main male treats the succubus as a second daughter. Any and all fanservice is of the older characters...really, from what I've read, Lotte no Omocha's premise is a huge lie. Yes, there's a 10-year-old succubus princess, and people tell her that she needs "protein", but the comic seems to try it's hardest to ignore that. Instead, it ends up being a manga about a cute child being cute. I may have to read more to confirm the comic stays this way, but up to the point I've read, it's completely harmless. Yeah, I didn't believe it either at first.

Also, Nichijou is giving me Cromartie vibes. This is a very good thing.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:16:14 AM by Vanishing Sock Puppet »

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 02:55:14 PM »
A fun fact concerning Nichijou that you might already know: The OP is sung by Hyadain, one of the more popular singers on Nico.
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 03:10:38 PM »
Cautiously excited for more Maria Holic, hoping that the ED is as good as the first season's!

Also, gonna remind you to discuss specific shows in their own threads once they start airing and to use this thread for preview chat.  Would have properly enforced this in the Winter thread but didn't want to spoil Madoka :V