Author Topic: Byakuren is NOT a good character  (Read 58692 times)

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
Re: Byakuren is NOT a good character
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2009, 11:40:13 PM »
This is just wild theory territory, but somehow I think what Nue tells us about herself can't really be trusted, as though she's trying to hide something.  I mean, just look at her name for a second.  "Nue Houjuu".  The name of her species, and "sealed beast".  It sounds way too much like a pseudonym to me...

Just a random thought, really~  Ignore it if you will.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2009, 11:43:32 PM »
* Sapz wanders into the thread and is assaulted by a wall of Nue-hate

Ruro, you realise that your whole argument for Kogasa being better than Nue is pretty much that:
  • She's adorable (which I agree with but is completely subjective).
  • That she can't actually get anything done.
I imagine Nue could be just as determined if she didn't actually succeed at things. :V

In gameplay terms, Nue's stage is pretty much the most fun stage in the game by quite a long way, whereas Kogasa's is made of rape, boredom and bullets that spawn on you (having said that I'm kind of biased because Kogasa has been the cause of a few hundred too many restarts lately).
On a more serious note, this thread has made me appreciate that the Kanako/Nue tag-team has basically been responsible for Touhous 10, 11 and 12. Fuck yes, my opinion of them has risen further.
This is the way you should be thinking~

Aside from that, though, yeah, Nue has very few good qualities
Spoiler:
aside from having the nicest legs in UFO
. That's what makes her interesting, though; where's the fun and unpredictability in a perfect character?
Let's fight.

« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2009, 04:46:42 AM »
Quote from: Ruro
Rawr rawr Nue haet whenever someone puts N, U, and E anywhere near each other
I'd just like to point out that, for this and various other reasons, whenever I see that Kurumi And Elly's Excellent Adventure has updated, I mutter "Die in a fire" under my breath instead of clicking on it.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2009, 06:50:44 AM »
Ruro, you realise that your whole argument for Kogasa being better than Nue is pretty much that:
  • She's adorable (which I agree with but is completely subjective).
  • That she can't actually get anything done.

Actually, there's one part of her that simply charms me that no one else seems to share; the fact that she seeks to improve her technique by reading old ghost stories. I just find the idea of Kogasa sitting in Kourindou reading an old copy of Dracula utterly adorable. :x On that note, I don't find anything charming about Nue. I just don't.

And UFO extra the stage is bullshit the likes of which has not been seen since MS stage 5. That said, it's also very fun, and the only reason I did end up beating Nue was because she and her stage are enjoyable in their own right. This is why Nue is not dead last in my character ranking. Speaking of, Genzanmi Yorimasa is bar none the best card in the whole game, and the fact that Nue does in the end show some spirit and uses the weapon she fears most against the player does up my respect for her by a fair bit.

But seriously, FUCK Rainbow UFOs.

Spoiler:
. That's what makes her interesting, though; where's the fun and unpredictability in a perfect character?

Nue does not have the nicest legs in UFO. She doesn't even have the nicest legs in UFO Extra. That said, Yumemi is in a dead heat with my favourite character Shikieiki precisely because she's got such a crazy personality. Don't ask me to explain why I like Byakuren so much, in that case.

I'd just like to point out that, for this and various other reasons, whenever I see that Kurumi And Elly's Excellent Adventure has updated, I mutter "Die in a fire" under my breath instead of clicking on it.

I like mocking characters as much as I like writing them seriously, you know.

Spoiler:
And ;_;
Someone deleted a somewhat derogatory comment you made in that topic, by the way. I have no idea who, which bothers me somewhat, because I want to accept all feedback, good or bad.
[/size]

« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2009, 07:26:27 AM »
This is just wild theory territory, but somehow I think what Nue tells us about herself can't really be trusted, as though she's trying to hide something.  I mean, just look at her name for a second.  "Nue Houjuu".  The name of her species, and "sealed beast".  It sounds way too much like a pseudonym to me...
Plus we have the fact Nue tells some characters that the form we fight her in is her true form, yet for others she implies its just another disguise.

Its hard to say which is accurate, but I'm guessing probably the latter since part of her schtick is making people have to guess at what her true form is and true powers are.

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2009, 07:31:10 AM »
Err, I'm pretty certain Nue's form in UFO extra is her true form. Her whole reason for wanting to murder the heroine is because they might spread the word that she's just a midget loli with some serious zettai ryouiki going on.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2009, 12:11:32 PM »
This is just wild theory territory, but somehow I think what Nue tells us about herself can't really be trusted, as though she's trying to hide something.

I actually share this sentiment, as the discrepancies between her profile and her dialogue are too significant for them both to be completely correct. Given that character profiles are basically ZUN telling us about the character, I'm more inclined to believe them than anything Nue herself says.

Plus we have the fact Nue tells some characters that the form we fight her in is her true form, yet for others she implies its just another disguise.

Its hard to say which is accurate, but I'm guessing probably the latter since part of her schtick is making people have to guess at what her true form is and true powers are.

My gut tells me that her UFO Extra form is her true form, going primarily on the balance of dialogues (Reimu A/B & Marisa A/B vs Sanae A). Then again, I've just said that Nue's words aren't necessarily trustworthy, so eh.

Spoiler:

Your thoughts are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2009, 04:33:19 PM »
My vote is that Keine manipulated the course of history so that Yukari would manipulate Koishi into becoming bored enough to subconsciously manipulate Parsee to cause jealousy on Nue, who uses her pretext of being jealous of youkai siding with humans to hide her true motivations.. which is.. she's really jealous of youkai siding with humans.

Meanwhile, Cirno was watching Keine's movements with caution, and sent her friend Daiyousei to investigate the outside world, since there were enough clues that the humans from the outside world have actually received technology, speeding up their development and thus, forcing Kanako to move to Gensokyo earlier. Who could benefit from this? The Kappa? The Tengu? Shinki? The lunarians? Eirin?

On an early morning, Akyu received an uncommon visitor at her home. Komachi has reported on the various activities during the previous incidents, and brought confidential information from the Scarlet Devil Mansion and the domains of hell. Akyu has then become able to confirm that Remilia's purpose for staying in Gensokyo was to measure the military powers of its inhabitants, under the orders of the lunarians. Komachi also reported that Sakuya was murdered, around one year ago, and replaced by an imposter, because there were other people that were suspicious of Remilia, and wanted to keep an eye on her. But, who could've murdered Sakuya, and/or have replaced her? Yumeko? Sanae? Yumemi? Patchouli?

There were many possibilities; The three fairies were mysteriously absent from every major incident, or so, they are thought to be. Orange, a long-time enemy of Rumia, who was known as the Dragonslayer back then, hasn't been seen since LLS as well. The two humans from the Outside World may have been given the means to persuade Yumemi to travel in time and inform the humans from some 1000 years ago about Byakuren saving the youkai, which resulted in her sealing. Kourin may have been responsible for the database disorder that resulted in Reimu and company having harassed Makai in MS, but why? The fact that Vivit was able to meet Marisa and Reimu and defeat them could mean that Luize not only had the means to bring her where she wanted her to be and when, but had a hand in the events of Shuusou Gyoku as well, and even in the creation of Vivit herself?

Spoiler:
Sprites has manipulated Dark Ran into trying to overthrow Marion as the main character of the Gunbird series, and by sending Marion's pet to the Moon, Dark Ran effectively made Marion go away for a while. This has made the lunarians become worried about a possible invasion attempt from the Earth, and therefore caused the incident shown in IN. Since Keine's abilities of history consumption weren't working during that incident, Sprites could invade Marisa's house and steal her discoveries on the immortality elixir that Marisa was trying to improve.. or compress.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2009, 05:58:01 PM »
I like mocking characters as much as I like writing them seriously, you know.

Spoiler:
And ;_;
Someone deleted a somewhat derogatory comment you made in that topic, by the way. I have no idea who, which bothers me somewhat, because I want to accept all feedback, good or bad.
[/size]
Which is precisely why I'd rather mutter "die in a fire" than read it. :)

And, um, I'm pretty sure it was me who deleted it, figuring that dropping an F-bomb wouldn't stop you, and would only serve to annoy people who do like that kind of crap.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:59:44 PM by KimikoMuffin »

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2009, 07:16:52 PM »
Err, I'm pretty certain Nue's form in UFO extra is her true form. Her whole reason for wanting to murder the heroine is because they might spread the word that she's just a midget loli with some serious zettai ryouiki going on.

:3

Yeah, I like this explanation. :V
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2011, 11:23:37 PM »
She loves every living being, huh?
Well then, she could as well be Youkai Nelson Mandela, Youkai Mother Theresa, Youkai Pope Paul II, Youkai Buddha, Youkai God, etc. etc.........
......or simply an intelligent and compassionate person.
[/s]
...i think i love you xDDD

<Tengukami> This thread is over a year old. Do not bump threads older than two weeks. Please read our rules on posting guidelines.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 11:32:15 PM by Tengukami »

in the end, a friend was all that was needed.