Author Topic: Scarlet Rivalry- [2/?] (New installment)  (Read 4496 times)

Kozau

• What is this I don't even--
  • So wrong, but it feels so good.
Scarlet Rivalry- [2/?] (New installment)
« on: April 12, 2011, 07:23:16 PM »
A/N: Just something new I am working on. Might put it on FF or something at some stage.

This is mostly Remilia telling us what happened in the past; I wanted it to sound like she was writing a journal entry even though she isn't.... I kind of imagined her tone to be as flowery as Sakuya's, except, with a childish interjection here and there. I see Flan as someone who is as childish as she looks. The next instalment will be mostly in the present, for that is where the action will be.

Remilia is heartless, but shes not that heartless... ~

Please enjoy!

----------------------------------------------

Night was coming.

The last few days had been abysmal in activity; virtually nothing spontanious or exciting had occured to thrill me, and my patience was waning with the faeries, who seemed to think that entertainment in the form of treating me like someone of their level with their stupid-little-faerie-games was perfectly fine. It wasn't. I was above them, so I thought it would be fitting to gain entertainment by threatening to play with them- and not as an equal member of their party. They politely declined and scrambled as expected... which at least made me chuckle briefly.

But night was coming.

No, no, no. I was not staying in.

The time was five pm, and already, the tendrils of darkness that shadowed the moon were dragging the sun to its grave beyond the horizon- and I, utterly bored to the point of scraping my nails against the hard-waxed wood groaned in relief. It would be night time soon. No longer would I have to cower like an animal within my own house from the sunlight, and I would be free to play in my playground... otherwise known as Gensokyo (Unless you are a fool, you will know that this is where I live- or rather, where I terrorize). The area always looked so beautiful at night, with the stars like beacons in the sky and the moon like a paper circle, undisturbed by the wind. You could almost taste the life in the air sometimes... after all, the stupid youkai favoured this time above most.

I was sure the night was going to be beautiful. Oh so... very beautiful.

....And the sight of shining rainbow crystals as they caught the fading light should have been beautiful, too, their radiance throwing speckled shadows across the walls....

But I found no beauty in the stare that accompanied them.

"Big sister, big sis--"

I cut her off with the wave of a hand and a shallow huff, fingers twitching in annoyance. I didn't even allow her a full sentence.

"Go back downstairs, Flandre. I plan to go out tonight."

It was an order. Her expression faltered for a few seconds as the smile on her face wavered, falling into a pained line on her face.

Flandre Scarlet was (and still is) my younger sister, she whom should not be out of where she was kept at dusk. Do not misunderstand me; she stays down there by choice because she respects my opinion, like most of Gensokyo do. It was in fact extroadinarily rare for her to wander out of her own accord... but it wasn't as if she'd ever go outside. I watched her at that moment shuffle awkwardly, the diamonds of her wings chiming softly against each other as that disturbingly red stare dropped to the ground to flit amongst the weavings of my very expensive rug I had got the faeries to lay down there (It was a very nice rug, in fact. The shades of red were perfect...! They know better than to displease me)... I couldn't stop myself from raising an eyebrow at her. Her motives had always been difficult to understand...

"Big sis..." She was mumbling out of the corner of her mouth with her voice cracking as if she was about to burst into tears. Whilst I liked to pride myself in holding no sympathy for others, when no-one was around and the subject was my little sister... well, even great vampires like I had a heart.

Just not a big one when when I had been stuck inside for so long and it was so boring.

"What do you want?"

... However somehow, my semi-warm feelings were not carried on to my words, and the statement came out brutishly snappish.

"I-I wondered if you could stay inside today... I-I broke something so now I have nothing to play with--"

"You are always breaking things. Its not my fault if you cannot control yourself."

"A-Ah, but big sis-"

"Seriously Flan, I am not here for you just so everytime you feel like getting attention you can fly to me and expect to get any. I am bored. I have been bored for a while now."

"B-But I am also bored-"

"Yes but you seem to be forgetting who I am-"

... I remember biting my lip at that time, cutting myself off. Remember I said something about having a heart up there? Well, it seemed to find the most worst moments to suddenly ache. That expression she was giving me. It was almost physically painful- I could handle most types of pain, but for some reason this felt a little different.... I couldn't continue talking to Flandre like that. That voice was used for people below me, and whilst she was most certainly beneath me, she was probably the closet one to me as well (ah, I forget Sakuya! She is certainly up by Flandre, too). With a heavy sigh at the round scarlet gaze that had befallen me I pinched the bridge of my nose and slid my vision back to the window- night....

... Night...

...Can you wait for me?

... I thought something like that in my head-- or maybe I said it outloud? It must have been outloud, because there was a high pitched squeal from the girl that was in front of me as she clasped her hands softly together to produce a gentle clapping sound that echoed in the hallways, as if she was applauding my decision. My lips were a wobbly line that I tried to pull into a smile, but it ended up looking as lopsided as hers.

I didn't ever spend time with Flan. It was a well known fact.

I am the descendant of a great vampire, after all. I had better things to do then entertain my sister.

So how was I even going to handle something like that...?

I was startled by the sliding of her hand into mine as she tugged at me gently, breaking me out of my thoughts- oh Flan. Oh simple Flan. If she was after some kind of feeling from me then she was going to get it, sadly... it was a pity I had grown meek over the years of essentially living under house arrest.

I let my fingers slide inbetween hers and bade the night one last farewell before I allowed myself to be feebly dragged by my younger sister, who radiated with joy.

She was so happy.

I was only half happy.

Night was coming. Oh, such a glorious night it was to be; however I was stuck babysitting my little sister, the little sister whom I never saw except for on rare occassions. But somehow, everything felt... ok. It was better to spend a night with her then to spend it in the darkness with a hurt-y heart. Those warm blossoming feelings in my chest were like something I had known a long time ago but had forgotton about...

That was all in the past.

I remember all of that in great detail... even if it was quite a while ago. She had dragged me through the maze of the basement as if she intended for us to get lost... though her footsteps were so clean and precise I knew she knew where she was going. Being in that hallway seemed so long ago it felt like it was another day now....

I'm standing here now in a place with four concrete walls tinged in scarlet and bits of mangled material that may or may not have been living at some point. Everything smells like ash and smoke, and the air is heavy (I better not get dirty from being down here). The floor is hard and my shoes click-clack against the floor, and its pitch black- not that it matters, I can see through the darkest of dark. There is no moon. There are no windows. There is barely anything in the room; its like a well sculpted cave almost, sharp and dim and... boring. Boring...

...We stand face to face.

And there is silence.

She stares at me.

I stare back.

I am not an idiot, Flandre. I know what lurks behind that gaze of yours, or why you quirk your lips like that.

I realize now that I know my sister.

But I do not know her well enough.

Oh, Flan... oh simple, foolish Flan...

... If you want to play, then we'll play all you like.

----------------

A/N: Theres gonna' be a fight... I wonder who'll win.

Any thoughts on this would be awesome!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:22:43 AM by Kozau »
[ -------Shaplz. ----- ]
('Lets just keep on dreaming... its all we have left now.')

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Re: Scarlet Rivalry- [1/?]
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:19:13 PM »
This is actually pretty nice stuff. I like your narrative. It flows well, and it's descriptive enough for me to go along with without feeling weighty. Keep it up.

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:40:28 AM »
This is very nice. Almost as though I can visualize it all before my eyes. Keep this going man. Make it happen.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 08:19:36 AM »
Keep this thing going, man. I like the visual descriptions and your characterization of Remilia, and I'm looking forward to see the fight.

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

Kozau

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 01:44:47 PM »
I thank you all (lately) for the comments and compliments, and thanks for reading! :) I am half way through the next instalment (which is fighting) and should have it up soon. Its not a spell-card fight, so I am trying to keep it... pg-13-ish in terms of violence.
[ -------Shaplz. ----- ]

Kozau

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 03:18:18 AM »
Installment two!

I couldn't edit out some of the gore no matter how much I tried to tone it down... I wanted the vampires to be violent, because its in their nature.

I hope you like. :>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It starts with the baring of fangs.

I can tell by the way her fingers are twitching that this wasn't going to be a fight using spells; they are twitching because they are aching to claw their way through me like the way Sakuya's knives cut through people who threaten me. But Sakuya wouldn't do something like this. This was nothing to do with humans at all- this was above them. This is how vampires fight. And no matter how unvampire-like Flan seemed, she most certainly was the same as me.

"Are you displeased about something, sister?" I make the word as stressed out as I can, something I have a habit of doing after talking to underlings for so long. She breathes in shortly and says nothing, standing still as if she's afraid to move. The word has almost paralyzed her even, causing her body to become stiff and ridged like a board, though I see no fear flickering in the hazy red eyes she is pinning me with....

"Well? If you are, you should just say it instead of standing there- its boring waiting for you to talk." Boring indeed. There was no moving my flat gaze from hers, though.

"...." A pause. She opened her mouth, and--

"Big sis... lets play. Lets play." Those words were yet again mottled by freakish undertones that pitched her words oddly. I shrug, my arms folded across my chest in annoyance, and toss my stare to the right--

--God damn it!!

She is upon me within a flash, all claws and teeth and bright colours blazing in the semi-darkness, and I can feel the clothing at my shoulder tearing as she rakes her claws across me in pure fury. She clamps her legs around my waist so I can't move, attempting to pin me to the floor... and I'm dizzy. I'm dizzy because I didn't expect her to be so fast ( after all, how did someone who stays in a confined space get as fast as me when I am the one who flies around a lot?! ) and all I can do is swing my hand around to dig my claws into the junction of her neck and shoulder, my fingers becoming hot and wet and sticky with scarlet and this feeling is all too familiar--

She hisses angrily and presses the heel of her hand into my forhead violently to smash it into the ground, and at the same time I dig my hand deeper into her flesh, tearing a good sized chunk out of her before stars erupt in my vision where my head hits the floor so hard. And she is distracted. Even with these stars there I can see that she is staring at her shoulder, not used to seeing her own body harmed like that. I take this oppertunity to clamp my jaws down on her fingers that are lingering by my face, and there is a resounding cracking sound before she screeches and blood erupts in my mouth as she tries to yank her hand away.

Funny... I never imagined that vampires would taste bitter sweet.

Do I taste like that, too?

... Then again, I haven't bled in a long time. This would be the first time in a while. 

I allow her the pleasure of having her hand back before we roll, and suddenly I am on top- I use this chance to yank viciously on her hair ( Its not childish! I apologize if I don't feel like mutilating my sister, hopefully she wont mutilate me back if I-- )

--There is a sharp cracking sound--

Ouch, my wrist--!!

( ...Ok, forget what I just said. I'm going to flay her. )

With her hand around my wrist and the object in question at an extremely sharp angle, I hold and drive my other fist right into her face- and we are howling together because something on her cracks too. Maybe its her nose? I can't tell, but if anything, I think I got her eye. Oh well, it wasn't as if she had anyone to look pretty for. My wrist has sharp bits of bone protruding from the skin like some kind of biological wreakage, and the sight of my own blood...

.... Its starting to make me... uneasy.

With my eyes glowing just as bright as hers now, I begin to claw at her face whilst she raises a hand to grab the material at my throat and drag me down into another roll-- and the rolling is awkward. Our wings make rolling hard and there is a moment where we are close, so close our noses almost touch, and its all teeth and anger and pain and sadness that I see as our breath intermingles and our hearts beat against each other frantically as our ribs almost lock. But that brief, almost... human moment is dirtied when she manages to hoist herself to her knees within a split second, and whipping her arm around she throws me head first into the wall- I open my wings but--

Ah, ah, fuck.

That hurt Flan.

Its not hard enough to break my spine but it leaves me breathless, the stone wall now dented as dust suddenly streaks the air grey and rock crumbles all around me. I don't miss a beat however. With my foot against the wall I kick off, fly at her, grab her around the middle and crash us both into the opposite wall- this time we both go through, and the sound is a symphony of pain and destruction as the wall breaks and sends stone hurdling after us both. I was hoping to crack her skull, but no, its still intact-- her leg is badly broken however, almost shattered to the point where its unusable. A low chuckle starts in my throat as we remain clinging to each other, landing hard, and somehow the thrill of breaking my sister seems almost... too exciting.

Flandre Scarlet was more powerful than me.

A lot of people thought her wings were prettier, too.

Oh, I'd love them to see her now.

I am the better vampire. Me, me me.

I am the older sister, I am the head of this house, and I will not--

There is a whir of motion and suddenly my spine is being bitten by the floor again, and I wince as my wrist hangs lifelessly from my arm like a chime caught in the wind. There isn't any movement. Shes not hiting or biting or scratching me but--

Slowly, my eyes turn down.

She straddling me once more, but this time, her look is a little different. Within the insanity of her eyes, within the swirling madness, there is sadness and almost... curiousity...

I suddenly breathe in sharply, and remain perfectly still.

Her hand is against my throat, and her palm is half closed...

And glowing....

"Flandre, stop."

My tone isn't a joke-y or mocking tone this time. Its completely serious. Almost immediately I lose my blood thirsty look in favour for one that is more docile, though hers stays the same. She keeps staring at me with this morbid curiosity that honestly makes my heart skip beats, and I swallow against her fingers but I cannot move any more than that. Her leg is a mangled mess of torn skin and muscle and my wrist is torn to shreads and barely attached to me any more, my hair slick against my face with blood and her eye is a horrifically dark colour...

"Flandre, stop."

I'm commanding her, now.

If she blew everything from my neck upwards away then I'd never regenerate and come back, and I didn't feel like dying. Though there was some kind of pride to dying to a vampire, there is no pride in dying when she is younger and more inexperienced than you ( I don't want to die, but the situation looks grim. Flan has a habit of not stopping when she goes all crazy like this). But she doesn't say a thing. Not a single word. Its un-nerving. Seriously... seriously... unnerving...

...... We are inside.

So I know its not raining, and yet...

... Water slides down my cheek, and the hand is pressed more harshly against my neck, producing an odd choking sound from me as breathing gets more difficult. There is a tension between us that is so thick I can almost taste it on my tongue like how I can taste my own sisters blood, and its even more bitter than that. There is silence. Pure silences that rattles me deep down. I hate silence. Its the reason I hired faeries in order to make everything a little less dead--

"S-Sister...."

... Ah, I see...

... She's crying.

She has tears rolling down her face that mingle with the blood that is streaked across her cheek making her tears red as they fall upon me like gentle rain, the same colour as our eyes. The way she said that was a little less insane now, more sombre and quiet and...

"W-Why are we fighting..."

"...Y-You pounced me first, Flandre." I can somehow still pout at a time like this.

"I-I just wanted to play, sister... you never..."

... Is she aware that shes choking me...?

"...You never want t-to play with me. You're always so busy up there lounging around and bossing people around that you haven't been down here in a while... I-I only see you every now and then, and it makes me sad, sister. All these toys are nothing... w-when all I want to do is speak to you...."

"F-Flan...." Now I sound muffled and distant, and my lungs start stinging. Flan, you're choking me, stop pressing so hard...

"I-I mean, all you had to do is walk down here and say hi.. y-you make me so happy- seeing you sometimes is the best thing ever, a-and it would be so fun i-if we could have tea together s-sometime a-and Sakuya could come too and I-I want to get dressed up just like you do sometimes in expensive clothes--"

Her words are becoming frantic and kind of hard to understand, and I can see that this is a different kind of insanity she is showing me now. Its not called being crazy. Its not that shes mad. Its just that shes deprived... and its all kind of my... fault... I shift uneasily underneath her, my eyes watering, and she probably will mistake those for tears. I need air, Flan. I can barely speak now; but if I could, what would I even say?

"S-So... I guess if we can't hang out, sister," her head hangs with a choked laugh that devlops into a chuckle that develops further into something broken and twisted, "T-Then I guess no-one should play with you, r-right?"

I don't fear for my life. Its not in my nature to do anything like that. Even at this moment I feel no fear, I merely feel entirely neutral to the matter, even if I do not want to die. If I am going to be destroyed I was going to die with my fangs bared and my eyes blazing like fire, with pride, hissing and spitting like a caturwauling cat. I feel her finally shift her entire weight into her hand and my airway is cut off entirely so I can't even hiss any more, but it doesnt stop me from using my good hand to dig my nails into her ribs. She continues laughing. She continues laughing as odd black spots appear and my scraping against her bones with my nails weaken, and I can't even thrash because I can barely
see or breathe and everything aches.

Laughing.

Just... laughing.

I think I prefered silence.

Its a fusion of clashing notes and sharps and flats and its haunting. It gets more and more distant as I slowly fade out but still, its there. I wonder if anyone will even find my headless body down here. I can feel the heat of her palm the strongest, as if she is lingering on killing me, just waiting for me to suffer before she finishes me off. Oh, clever Flan. You are not that simple at all, eh?

Its saddening, but fitting.

A great vampire like I to die in the darkness at the hands of a monster I created...

And  I never even got to say goodbye to--

Sakuya--

Sakuya--!?

Suddenly, there is bright light that burns my eyes and the room feels more static-y as if eletricity is in the air and there is a loud booming sound that is echoing on and on and on like the laughter. There is no more pressure, and air is rushing back to me like someone is pouring ice cold water down my throat and yet I still feel as if I am suffocating. I don't move, but there is scrabbling, then a shriek, and then there is silence again save for the clicking of heels against the blood streaked floor.

White noise.

Static.

The flickering of lights...

Then absolutely nothing....

The taste of battle...

.... And the sobbing of my sister.

Well...

At least I was no longer bored.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sakuya to the rescueeeee!

Next installment soon. ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:38:57 PM by Kozau »
[ -------Shaplz. ----- ]

CS

• Undying hunger
  • Om nom nom
Re: Scarlet Rivalry- [2/?] (New installment)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 10:36:31 AM »
Damn... that was... just... awesome...

It's really well described and I can just picture the fight right in front of me...

Hope to see the next installment soon  :V
Madness?

Kozau

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 03:42:04 PM »
Heh, I like comments that say people can picture it in front of their eyes. I aim to make it as real as I can, so I guess I am doing my job right. :3

Thank you for reading!
[ -------Shaplz. ----- ]

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 05:00:22 PM »
Holy. Freaking. Crap. You're very good at this, you know that? As far as that whole scene goes... Let's just say I wouldn't want to cross them like that anytime soon.

Seriously though, this is goood. <3
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

Kozau

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 03:05:17 AM »
I don't think anyone would like to get onto the bad side of a vampire ~ And thank you for the compliments! I am starting the next installment tomorrow- these chapters aren't taking very long to write so its all good. xD

Remilia's pride isn't going to let Flan get away with smooshing her that easily.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 04:21:11 AM by Kozau »
[ -------Shaplz. ----- ]