Author Topic: Tokiko's Life  (Read 3627 times)

Tokiko's Life
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:39:39 PM »
This is my first attempt at writing fiction so critiques are very welcome.
(edited 2/24)

A bright clear day, perfect for hunting.  Tokiko hummed a nameless tune to herself as she went exploring for Outside artifacts.  She was not sure how they got past the barrier that separated Gensoko from the Outside World but they did and were both valuable and fascinating.  Tokiko was not the best hunter, she could fly but was always so interested in what she found that often her first find would keep her busy as she puzzled over the strange things for days or read about incomprehensible things.  A bigger weakness as a hunter was her strength.  Tokiko was not powerful enough to hold a claim against other hunters.  She could beat a normal human but was no match for much greater entities as encounters with Red-White and the Witch went badly despite her irregular danmaku. 

As for Tokiko herself, no matter what she tried, she was not very imposing like the proper yokai she believed she should be. She had the requite features to be terrifying; wings, horns, and piercing red eyes. Wearing her black dress and blue corset she originally thought she looked quite intimidating.  Well if it her horns weren?t stubs and the cocalteal like crest atop her head amid blue and white hair. Her outfit, carefully designed to be intimidating came across as young lady who was an inordinate fan of Gothic Lotita. Finally her stature just was not up to being intimidating. Even though she was older than many humans she still looked like she was fairly young. Eventually Tokiko learned to tolerate being "cute". She discovered cute had some advantages and pretending to be powerful without actually being so got one into unwinnable fights.

Today Tokiko flew to the Forest of Magic. It was not a particularly good place to go hunting. The Witch lived there and claimed most of the really good stuff. Most human hunters avoided the place out of fear of the Forest Children. The Forest Children played there and woes betide the human caught by them. As a peer of sorts Tokiko only might receive better treatment.

"Talllly Ho!" was all the warning Tokiko needed to hurriedly drop below the tree line. The Witch soon streaked overhead. She was a bane to all hunters. Once Tokiko unintentionally crossed her while trying to retrieve some stolen goods. The resulting fight left Tokiko in a state that, well she didn't like to think about that.

Tokiko alighted on the ground and started walking. In their natural environment forest Yokai find you not the other way around even enhanced yokai senses make little difference. 

"Still not one for the trees?"  A melodic voice asked.  Startled, Tokiko glanced in the direction of the voice.  It had to be Mystia the sparrow yokai; she was a better aviator than Tokiko and was quite willing to remind her of it. "No over here." another voice from another angle. Quickly others chimed in and started laughing.  Most humans would start fleeing at this point in hopes of escaping the Forest Children. Tokiko knew that only encouraged them and stood her ground. In the very least she could match any one of them on even footing.

After a few moments of silent stand-off a boyishly dressed girl with antenna stepped out from behind a tree. "What brings you to the forest?"  The others move to more visible locations as well. "She's here to play!" a light excitable voice from the depths of the darkness proclaims as fact. "Rumia, you don't even know who it is." "I do to Mystia! It's umm...?  The bubble of darkness faded to the normal dappled light of the day revealing a bright blonde girl in a black skirt and vest with a white blouse and a bright crimson ribbon. She could almost pass as human Tokiko thought exempting.  Rumia's eyes matched her ribbon and looking at them deeply gives one shivers. "...oh, it's Toki! Didja bring snacks!?"  With a small flourish Tokiko indicated her basket "Of course Rumia, did you find any trinkets?"

The various yokai closed the gap quickly trying to show off their random knick-knacks they found. Most of it was junk but enough of it was valuable that Tokiko made a tolerable living trading with those humans in the village willing to interact with her. Only Mystia remained unresponsive to the treats. She was the only one of the forest children who actually interacted with humans other than terrorizing them, via her grilled eel business. Even that was extortive. As Mystia used her powers to dim the humans vision before offering eels as a cure then removing the spell as they ate. Clever but dangerous business.

After a few minutes the frenzy petered out. Tokiko looked at the pile of stuff they found for her. As usual it included random things like a gray box with red buttons and a greenish panel, a discus with a hole in it with words printed on it printed on it ("aowl?"), and a small effigy of a man pointing at something.  Oh, one of the fairies left a frozen frog, a wonderful treat for a marsh yokai like Tokiko. "I'll save that for later."  Picking up her prizes she took back to the sky carefully staying near the tree line in case one of the greater yokai or the Witch came by. Tokiko intended to find a nice place to study her prizes before eventually selling them to that cheat Rinnosuke.

"You really think you'll get anything for that junk?" Mystia not only was she a more agile flyer she could sing, had a bunch of friends and even had an appropriate biome. Tokiko swallowed her jealousy. "What do mean by that?" "I know another buyer you might be interested in." "What will it cost me?" "You're so distrustful Toki! Hmm, you must promise to recommend my stand to your customers!" "Ah, well, you may not get much more business, Ms. Lorelei." "Hehe, all I asked was for your promise. Find me one new customer and we'll call it even." Tokiko pondered for a moment what Mystia wanted out of this before assenting. "There's a kappa named Nitori who is always looking for more outside goods. You can find her upriver on the mountain. Cheerio, Toki." With that and a wave Mystia dropped back into the trees and out of sight bursting with laughter once out of earshot of Tokiko.

So a customer near the Gods and Tengu. Considering the situation Tokiko knew the tengu were very proud and territorial so they shouldn't be a problem as long as she avoided their territory. The gods were all tied to their spiritual roles so in a way predictable. There was that new one who was a rumored troublemaker. Still nothing ventured nothing gained. "I'll do it." The rest of today however would be spent blissfully with her new prizes.

She flew to the Lake of Gensoko. Tokiko lived in a good sized tree somewhat apart from the forest and almost in the lake itself. Like most yokai she was resistant to most climate variation and favored the environment of that she personified. In Tokiko's case the Crested Ibis. Unfortunately as a fairly weak species it offered very little raw power like a tiger or wholly unnatural yokai such as a kitsune. Tokiko tried to make up for her weakness with cleverness.

Carefully sorting through her current collection, Tokiko pulled out the most interesting items. One in particular caught her eye. A thin device that that had a little wheel and some fluid inside seemed interesting.  Turing the wheel created a small flame.  Tokiko studied the flame for a while. A real valuable prize, instant fire.  "This will sell well but may be better to keep."

It was getting late, so Tokiko decided to get dinner, a short fishing excursion later she had her meal, took a quick bath in the lake, washed her dress and after getting decent going to sleep. Tokiko dreamed of the marsh. Nice and wet with just enough trees to have a safe nest and ample view.  Oh and plenty of tasty fish, snakes, and frogs.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:43:05 PM by Bluebeholder »

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
Re: Tokiko's Life
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 03:33:47 AM »
Hm... An interesting setup.  I'm interested to see where it goes.  Seems pleasantly low key so far.

Only big things critique wise that stood out to me we Mystica instead of Mystia and some weakness in paragraph spacing.  Don't be afraid to use paragraphs a little more.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »
Part 2

Light filtered through the trees. Gently warming the land and waking Tokiko up. She started stretching and idly surveying the lake sunlight glinting off the surface in the pink glow of early dawn. "Right, today I'm off to see this Nitori. If I keep a low profile I should be able to avoid any trouble."

Alighting from her tree towards the water Tokiko spread her wings allowing her fingers to just skim the water. Silver gleamed in her hands, as the small trout flailed wildly. A smile played across her lips, "Got it in one try, auspicious."

After her quick breakfast Tokiko veered towards the mountain. The complications initiated by the new mountain god were settling. Mainly this meant there was a nascent path leading towards the human village and the fairies were not in frenzy. "I'll follow the road on foot the veer off near the river. This will minimize the risk of insulting the tengu and the path should be pretty safe."

Finding a small clearing suitable for landing, Tokiko landed cleanly. "Why hello there!" Tokiko stumbled and bit her lip. Tokiko did not want to meet anyone especially not someone like her. "It's a pleasure to meet you." The blue-white person in front of her looked like a miko and any miko meant trouble. I'm Sanae..." Well maybe she's a yokai not a miko; verdant green hair and eyes so maybe. "...priestess of the Moriya Shrine." Well no luck on the miko front. "I'm making this path safe for worshipers." This keeps getting better maybe if I play my cards right and get her to go away. "Come on, I'll take you there personally." Well I can be patient. "Then I'll go back to hunting the evil yokai on the road." She punctuated this with swinging her Gohei energetically. Time to flee! A hand on the shoulder from the much taller woman ended that line of thought. Looking up into Sanae's smiling face erased any remaining doubts in Tokiko's panicking mind. If I don't play along she's going to kill me. "What's your name?" "I'm Tokiko, uh... Lady Sanae." "Oh you don't need all formal with me. Come on then! We don't get many visitors my god will be pleased to meet you." "Wait, in person?" "Yeah as we're still new she says it's good policy to meet each worshiper personally, an early adopter bonus!"

Tokiko walked in a daze as Sanae chatted, oblivious to Tokiko's terror and mono-directional nature of the conversation. Tokiko mind slowly regained its composure and started to formulate a way to convert this situation from her, overly pessimistic, vision of a death march into an opportunity. Divine blessing aren't bad and they might want some of the things she found.

Tokiko snapped back from her reverie with the words "And here we are. Feel free to look around while I let Lady Kanako know you're here." Studying her surroundings Tokiko noticed how both incongruent and impressive the shrine was. The main building, outbuildings, mature trees wrapped with sacred writings and a large pool all situated on the edge of a small lake. Everything appears like it's been there for years except at the edges where there were damaged trees, unnatural warping of the mountainside and a small dike keeping the area from flooding. It's as if she brought the entire structure with her. That was just silly; no one had that much power. From inside the main building she could hear Sanae calling to her god; this was going to take quite a while. Her belly rumbled it was past lunch and the long walk took its toll.

Maybe there was something in the pond she could snack on a fish maybe. Oh, frogs. Lots of frogs, tasty. Tokiko paused thinking back on the theology from Sanae's "discussion" Lady Kanako was a snake goddess of the wind and rain so leave the snakes be but frogs were still good. Reaching down she reached down to grab one of the larger ones on a lily pad. She stopped. A pair of huge eyes was watching her. They started rising from underneath the lily pad. Tokiko staggered back falling backwards as those eyes broke the surface. A straw hat with eyes; what have I gotten into now? After breaking the surface the hat continued to raise unnaturally large amounts of water streamed off of it leaving the hat itself dry. As the rivulets slowed they revealed a blonde girl standing on the pool. She was about the same height as Tokiko and wore a simple purple dress patterned with frogs and of course the hat that stared into her soul.

"What are you doing with my kin, bird?" Before Tokiko could manage to stutter out a reply another voice boomed across the yard "Suwako! Stop terrorizing our worshipers. You are our worshiper right?" Tokiko unconsciously nodded at the booming voice. The girl, Suwako, looked at her disdainfully. Tokiko barely noticed Sanae helping her up. "Not many people get to meet Lady Suwako you're really lucky!" Lady Suwako's eyes however told another story, touch my frogs again and you will suffer. Sanae excitedly started herding Tokiko to the main shrine. "Tokiko please come this way. Lady Kanako is over here."

Tokiko found herself in front of a seated woman with all the trappings of divinity; four inscribed poles floated in formation behind a shimenawa with blessed streamers. Imposing was a good word for it. The booming voice was much more modulated now "Well?" Tokiko desperately tried to remember what Sanae said she should do; nothing. After a few moments of awkward silence "Sanae did you tell her what to do?" "Well, you said they need to pray and make donations to the box but there you never gave instructions for when you were here. I mean it's hard to generate faith when you are personally manifest." "Right, you there. Tokiko was it? Behold my power and spread the word to the edges of Gensoko! What is it that you wish?" Tokiko thought for but a moment something safe and non-offensive. "Free access to the Mountain?" Kanako looked a little disappointed "Very well you will have my protection." She opened her hand and where there were some small snakes that twisted unnaturally before petrifying into a complicated amulet. She indicated to Sanae who reverently took it and placed it in Tokiko's hands. "Anyone who knows the might of Yasaka Kanako and the Moria Shrine will know you are under my protection." "Thank you Lady Kanako." "Know this girl. The protection afforded you by this is not restricted to just the mountain." She was smiling in a predatory way. "Sanae, please send her on her way." "This way please Tokiko." Sanae indicated towards the gate. While leaving Tokiko thought Sanae is much less terrifying when she's not threatening ones health unintentionally. ?How do you know how to get to the kappa?s place?? "Oh, that?s easy just follow water downstream. Spreading the word already? How wonderful!" ?Sanae, if you happen to head into town you may want to try the eel stand near the forest of magic." "I will thanks! Bye, bye!"

Tokiko left until the waving shrine maiden was out of sight before pulling out the amulet to study it carefully. It looked like a pair of jade entwined snakes with ruby eyes. It was quite similar to one Sanae had except much smaller and paired. The crystalline eyes made Tokiko feel like Kanako herself was watching her. It hit her. Kanako's gift was based on her power. If Tokiko wanted to maximize her protection she would have to proselytize. On the other hand she could just leach off of what meager influence Kanako was building on. Tokiko however decided to go with a third route, "I think I'll be safer not having anyone know I've had anything to do with them." She slipped it back into a pocket with her other treasures and continued on.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 02:13:11 PM »
Part 3

Now to find that kappa. The Moriya Shrine was actually at the headwaters, so simply following the stream back down was the most likely way to find Nitori. Tokiko followed the stream on foot for a while enjoying the view. Her only warning was a yelled "Trespassers are to be executed!" Moments later a woman with white hair and canine ears wielding a saber and maple leaf shield burst though the underbrush.

Despite being startled Tokiko quickly activated her combat spells. An arc of sigils formed and started quietly charging energy behind the wolf woman. Now all she had to do was survive long enough for her spell familiars to catch this dog from behind. She was closing fast though. Tokiko released a spray of minor bolts hoping to push the other woman back. Instead most of them glanced harmlessly off of the shield as the wolf leaned forward to such an angle that she was mostly protected. A few trickles of blood sprang up where some of the bolts grazed the woman. Tokiko gasped as the other woman rammed her, slamming Tokiko back into a tree. Tokiko slumped wheezing as the other woman brought herself to full stature raising her blade up to deliver a killing blow. "I am Momoji Inubashiri and you will pay for trespassing in tengu lands!" Tokiko started a laughing painfully. "No I got you!" On cue the sigils released their charges simultaneously all directly targeting Momoji. To her credit she managed to move fast enough to get her shield to soak the brunt of the attack. Still she looked pretty hurt; the blasts left several patches of skin scorched and her attire barely hanging on. Momoji managed a single step back toward Tokiko before dropping to the ground in a heap.

Tokiko sighed in relief, she was unsure if she could survive long enough for a second barrage. She started standing back up, dusting herself off and judging her wounds. She winced there was at least one cracked rib, and her wings were crushed against the tree. They hurt too much for Tokiko to fly safely for quite some time. Thankfully yokai are naturally tough and quick healers so she would be good later today instead of weeks later. For a lesser yokai like Tokiko victory was a rare and sweet thing. She wanted to savor it. Tokiko sauntered over towards her defeated foe. "You thought you could get the better of me? I'm the mighty Tokiko!"

A hand snaked out from Momoji grabbing Tokiko's ankle in a vice. Tokiko only got out "But I actually won for once..." before Momoji yanked her off of her feet.?No tricks will save you this time." They were too close now for spells or even the sword to be effective but Momoji had size, strength, and natural weaponry so it was not really a fight. Momoji pulled herself over Tokiko pinning her hands to the earth. Tokiko whimpered turning her head away from hot breath and feral growl of Momoji on her throat.  "Well, Tokiko, you will not violate tengu lands ever again." (Click) (Silence)

Tokiko felt the growl restart a bit further away. Looking back up Momoji leaned back her attention redirected towards some nearby bushes. Her iron grip still keeping Tokiko firmly grounded. "Who goes there?" "There's no one here please continue." (Click) "This is official tengu business." "Is that what you call it?" (Click) "She's an intruder in our lands and needs to be punished." "Punished? Riiight. And it's just chance that most of your clothes got burned away in the process?" (Click) Momoji was clearly quite agitated. "Aya, GO AWAY!" "Ayaya, with a scoop like this? Denied." (Click) "You will not print anymore scandalous lies about me!" Momoji leapt towards the bushes which exploded as a laughing Tengu in a white shirt and short black skirt burst in the air. Momoji tried to follow but it was clear she was outmatched by an extraordinarily agile flyer.

Tokiko saw none of this as chose to make a break for it as soon as Momoji let go. She rubbed her hands to get blood flowing again and silently thanked her obviously confused savior. She ran following the river downstream again. Tokiko felt she was still being watched but escaping took precedence to finding out who was there. All of this abruptly ended on at the edge of a sheer cliff and high waterfall.

Tokiko pulled up short gasping her ribs still quite sore. "You can't run any further. So you ready for an interview now?" Tokiko's pursuer revealed herself. She had a short purple and black checkered skirt, a white shirt and a pair of brown ponytails. She also had a golden outworld device with an eye trained on Tokiko. "I'm a mighty yokai." Tokiko bluffed while surreptitiously glancing towards the edge of the cliff to estimate the drop was while flexing her wings to see if they would support her weight if she jumped. "My name is Hatate Himekaidou." It was very far down and even that limited movement caused her to wince. "Look, all I want is to know what happened. I promise I will not attack you or spread lies like other tengu." Tokiko cautiously nodded a bit confused.

Apparently this was sufficient to qualify them as close friends as Hatate immediately sat Tokiko down and started rapid fire questioning about everything. Tokiko was a bit taken back and overwhelmed by Hatate answering the questions as best as she could. After a seemingly endless array of questions Hayate smiled broadly. This went on until late afternoon "So in closing you were just trying to meet Nitori?" Another voice chimed in "Ayaya, that's boring Hatate she's just trying to get closer to some of the residents. It?s ?Tokiko's Special Delivery Service?". Tokiko went bright red. "That's not..." Her protests were overwhelmed by Hatate. "She's not that type of girl, Tokiko's Friendly Delivery Service is a more apt descriptor." "Well, act..." Tokiko tried to interject but the two tengu were already at each other?s metaphorical throats. Tokiko thought for a moment. She had rested over the interview or her wings felt better. So it was probably safe to glide down and leave these two be. They both already forgot about her and were focused on bickering. Gliding down to the lower levels Tokiko mused "Well they don?t seem to understand."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:50:14 PM by Bluebeholder »

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 04:31:30 PM »
I think this makes a good ending unless someone want to see Tokiko start her business and meet other characters. Heck, if someone does want to read that tell me who the package is for. 

CH 4

Finding a decent landing spot in thicker woods proved more difficult than Tokiko liked. She was pressing her luck already trying to fly on damaged wings. So Tokiko had the choice of chancing a tree landing or the water of unknown depth. As her body still ached from being rammed into a tree Tokiko chose to chance a water landing. While the landing was awkward and soaking thankfully there were no jagged rocks to impale her.

Checking herself for additional damage Tokiko had a sobering thought.  If I meet Nitori in this bedraggled state she will not take me seriously. She decided that if she could rest here in relative safety for a few hours, assuming that was possible, she could make herself presentable and still meet the kappa and around dusk.  The water was cold mountain runoff still useful for cleaning her clothes and body. Striping down to her smallclothes Tokiko?s first goal was to wash and dry her clothes. After hanging them out to dry that she started sorting herself out. After a quick wash, cleaning her wounds and preening, Tokiko felt and looked more like her usual self. 

Tokiko noticed an unnatural reduction in light and the air itself felt heavy and oppressive. Someone was coming. No time to get for her drying clothes, Tokiko took a wing assisted jump into the tress. She had to struggle a bit to get into position over her camp. This time the advantage of surprise was hers.

A green haired woman in a weirdly red dress festooned with huge white frilled ribbons was floating upstream. Their gaze crossed as she floated under Tokiko?s hiding spot. She stopped drifting eyes bright eyes focused on Tokiko ?I?m Hina Kagiyama, curse goddess.? A hungry look crossed her eyes ?Do you have any troubles to give?? There was an almost visible aura of curses around her. ?I?m Tokiko and I?m doing fine thank you.? ?Keeping all your misfortune to yourself when all I want to do is help, that?s mean.? The water warped as small whirlpools developed in a loose formation around Hina. Like her they ignored the current.

Tokiko gulped she did not want another fight today. ?Fine, it?s been a rough day, happy?? ?Please tell me more.? Tokiko felt the pull of the woman and an unnatural desire to tell her everything. ?Let me get decent first.? She carefully alit on the ground collected her clothes and decided damp was a lot better wandering around half naked. All the time Hina was methodically prodding seeking Tokiko?s tales of woe. Tokiko found herself responding despite knowing it was a bad idea. She describing today?s mess and the day she crossed got robbed and beaten by both Red-White and Witch. Hina?s voice quivered. ?You have quite a bit of misfortune like the rabbit and the green one.? Gathering her things quickly Tokiko only looked away for a moment during which Hina transitioned to the riverbank appearing as if she was always there. Her aura was much darker now and started visibly warping the space around her. Hina approached without taking steps, her image shifting as if she were spinning like a stop motion top. ?More, please!? Hina reached out and Tokiko turned to run catching foot catching on a root strategically placed by the ambient curses.  Not again Tokiko thought as Hina transitioned to a seated position above her head cradling Tokio?s head in her lap. Looking up at her eyes Tokiko saw an aqua iris barely visible around empty black pits. ?More!? ?No more!? Tokiko struggled back up hitting Hina as hard as she could and then ran. Hina?s voice followed her ?Wait, Miss Tokiko! I?m sorry you just had so much bad luck I got carried away. Do take care!?

Once a safe distance away Tokiko put her damp clothes back on. Tokiko soberly assessed her situation and decided that enough was enough and she was going home. Next she needed to find a clearing to launch from and leave this miserable mountain behind. Trudging back towards the water she did not notice she was being watched. She walked back to the river bank and followed it downstream a bit to where the canopy broke. And she could see the pink sky of dusk.

?You didn?t see me right!? Tokiko screamed. She had enough. ?Yay! The Mark VI optical camouflage suit is a success! Thanks for your help! ? Um, hey you ok? ? Look I?m sorry I scared you. ? Please stop crying.? It took Tokiko a few minutes to stop sobbing. ?Feeling better?? Tokiko nodded. The blue haired woman lookd up from where she was working. She had occasionally been pulling tools and parts out of her backpack or the innumerable pockets on her dress. She grinned broadly. ?You gave me an idea! Now that the MK IV makes perfect camouflage I need to add tear gas. That way any surprised humans will not run away before I can talk to them!? ?Glad I could help.? ?It?s Nitori Kawashiro, just Nitori is fine! It?s a pleasure to meet you?? ?Tokiko.? ??Tokiko. So what brings you out here?? Tokiko realized if she said she was a hunter Nitori would probably laugh. Tokiko fingered the lighter in her pocket and said the only thing that came to mind ?Tokiko?s Delivery Service?? Her sales pitch was aborted by Nitori?s response ?Really, A delivery service!? I need your help getting these tools immediately!? She started describing a series of items. During which Tokiko valiantly tried to retake control of the conversation. ?You?ll need a list.? Nitori quickly wrote out an extensive list while describing with precise detail what type of item. Tokiko found it baffling and struggled to keep up with the rapid fire explanations. For example why she wanted a hexagonal screwdriver instead of just a screwdriver was beyond Tokiko. ?There you go? Nitori handed the page to Tokiko. ?I went ahead and added some other stuff in case you come across any of it.? Seeing a break in the torrent Tokiko seized it ?Nitori I have some things with me. Is any of it useful to you?? ?Neat! Propane lighter that still has juice!? Tokiko haggled with Nitori a bit and got some of her inventions. It seemed that Nitori found anything powered by magic to be a pale shadow of the technological ones and Tokiko pounced on that. She ended up trading the lighter for a magic flashlight all the rest of her collected stuff for several other technological do-dadds.

The last rays of light were yielding to a starry sky. Tokiko gathered her things not noticing a small brown package that had been added. ?Well I?m off. Have fun with your inventions!? Nitori gave a wave and went back to work. ?Remember by tomorrow evening!? Tokiko was too tired and preoccupied with retuning home for the comment to click. She was quite pleased with herself. Eventually she accomplished her goal for the day. Now it was time to go home and have a good night?s rest.