Author Topic: 3DS reviews and impressions  (Read 12345 times)

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
Re: 3DS reviews and impressions
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2011, 05:55:08 AM »
Considering the insane gobs and gobs of money I've been spending on things the past few months, plus the fact I have rent and other priorities, I think I'm gonna wait on this one, third-party battery or not. Lord knows Nintendo is going to come out with a smaller version at some point in the future anyway. :V  Barring that, I can always wait for a price drop.

That, and I wanna try one, to see if it makes me dizzy, like those 9001 other folks.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2011, 07:05:01 AM »
Although I haven't had any hands-on experience, people I trust say that although it made them dizzy at first, once they played with the 3D slider a bit and found the sweet spot, it worked perfectly with no problems, and the effect was great. Moving it towards or away from your eyes can help, too. Everyone's eyes are different, so this kind of thing is to be expected. Don't take this as absolute fact (again, everyone's eyes are different, and this is a second-hand report after all), but everyone I know who played the 3DS has reported this.

As for me, I'm definitely getting one, but I just don't know when. I don't mind the battery life, and there seems to be some good games, but it can wait for a while.

a_certain_kappa

• Science and Technology :3
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »
Well, the 3DS seems to have a lot of bad reviews. Guess I won't be buying it soon.

But, I want my Phoenix Wright vs. Prof. Layton and have a big nerd off.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2011, 02:31:55 PM »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2011, 04:48:17 PM »
Such are the consequences of early adoption of technology. Those who do so take the brunt of the beginning issues so the mainstream doesn't have to (and ends up draining the support departments in the tech companies).

At least Nintendo gave a useful error message this time around, while PSP did that with its death screens long before!
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2011, 06:26:52 PM »

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2011, 09:15:49 AM »
I knew it would sell early on, but wow.

The true test, of course, will be whether it lasts. I'm just shocked that nothing, like the bad battery, even phased it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:19:42 AM by Mimeslayer »

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

a_certain_kappa

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2011, 09:19:43 AM »
Saw a stranger playing 3DS yesterday. Somehow I was no longer afraid of approaching stranger and asked him about the 3DS.

Anyway, he seem to be playing Street Fighter or something, I didn't ask him that. I was only interested in the 3DS itself.
He said that his eyes hurt the first few minutes playing it but that irritation will gradually disappears the longer he plays it. The 3D slide and other things, I'm pretty sure it have been covered elsewhere in the thread.
As for other functions, well, he seems to be interested in the games only and how they look.

The price really puts me off though, 900+ Malaysian Ringgit. Oh God.

Shit. I forgot to ask for his phone number.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2011, 09:33:16 AM »
Saw a stranger playing 3DS yesterday. Somehow I was no longer afraid of approaching stranger and asked him about the 3DS.

Anyway, he seem to be playing Street Fighter or something, I didn't ask him that. I was only interested in the 3DS itself.
He said that his eyes hurt the first few minutes playing it but that irritation will gradually disappears the longer he plays it. The 3D slide and other things, I'm pretty sure it have been covered elsewhere in the thread.
As for other functions, well, he seems to be interested in the games only and how they look.

The price really puts me off though, 900+ Malaysian Ringgit. Oh God.

Shit. I forgot to ask for his phone number.

Who needs a phone number when you have the 3DSPhone! With it, You can call your friends, talk to them, and, gasp, even HANG UP! It's a totally not useless app!

Seriously, the whole 3D gimmick is making me think that Nintendo's taking too big an example from apple: adding unneeded things to it. Hell look at the iphone, and tell me how many people use it for the sole purpose of a phone. I bet its only called the 3DS because they couldn't think of anything better to name their next DS.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2011, 02:31:48 PM »
Who needs a phone number when you have the 3DSPhone! With it, You can call your friends, talk to them, and, gasp, even HANG UP! It's a totally not useless app!

Seriously, the whole 3D gimmick is making me think that Nintendo's taking too big an example from apple: adding unneeded things to it. Hell look at the iphone, and tell me how many people use it for the sole purpose of a phone. I bet its only called the 3DS because they couldn't think of anything better to name their next DS.
That'd be the iPhone 3D or iPhone 5. And I don't think El Jobso will add 3D due to it killing the battery (one of the most important things for Apple). Plus the 3xy name has been used already in the 3G and 3GS models.

I don't think adding unnecessary things to anything is the Apple way. Instead, it's more minimalism by hardware and maximum efficiency and versatility without technicality on the software front (that is, for consumer-level stuff).

(Enough of that, this isn't MacRumors :P)

But it is indeed true that by advertising it as a 3DS, the 3D aspect has become the primary selling point for the system. It's a repeat of the N64 era where 64-bit hardware was used against the 32-bit PlayStation and Saturn. Except that it's riding on the 3D gimmick people have succumbed to since CES 2010.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:36:56 PM by Absurd Fruit Publication »
Bad command or file name

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2011, 04:09:20 PM »
I wouldn't say that.  Nintendo 64 was legitimately more powerful than anything else in that generation.  The controller was the first of its kind to combine the now ubiquitous setup of analog and digital directional controls along with triggers on the back of the controller.  The only thing Nintendo really lost on was banking on ROM carts being able to survive one more generation against optical media.  Nintendo's notoriously difficult and obtuse licensing scheme didn't help either, with Rare and other first party devs getting preferential treatment.

Nothing about the N64 was a "gimmick".  3DS is a whole different animal, as it doesn't offer anything over the past generation except a slightly bumped up processor and 3D.  No different than the Gamecube -> Wii.  I would have to say the N64 was the last console Nintendo really innovated on.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2011, 04:28:18 PM »
They're too busy innovating marketing strategies :moogy:

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
That'd be the iPhone 3D or iPhone 5. And I don't think El Jobso will add 3D due to it killing the battery (one of the most important things for Apple). Plus the 3xy name has been used already in the 3G and 3GS models.

Evo 3D beat 'em to the punch, though there has been no mention of its battery life as far as I'm aware.  I do know that they're supposedly using a more powerful battery than what's in the Evo 4G.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2011, 04:44:44 PM »
I wouldn't say that.  Nintendo 64 was legitimately more powerful than anything else in that generation.  The controller was the first of its kind to combine the now ubiquitous setup of analog and digital directional controls along with triggers on the back of the controller.  The only thing Nintendo really lost on was banking on ROM carts being able to survive one more generation against optical media.  Nintendo's notoriously difficult and obtuse licensing scheme didn't help either, with Rare and other first party devs getting preferential treatment.

Nothing about the N64 was a "gimmick".  3DS is a whole different animal, as it doesn't offer anything over the past generation except a slightly bumped up processor and 3D.  No different than the Gamecube -> Wii.  I would have to say the N64 was the last console Nintendo really innovated on.
Now in regards to hardware, indeed N64 was innovative for its time. But I'm focusing on how it was marketed (a hardware feature advertised in title), not the raw hardware and its innovative streaks. And as for that last statement, that is quite true since NGC/GBA was all power improvement and the Wii/DS were gimmick-reliant versions of oh-so-slightly improved versions of their previous selves.

And soon we'll be blaming Iwata for this absurd business decision to expand the Nintendo gaming influence through the stagnation of new ideas and the reliance on catchy-but-shallow gimmick play to get the casuals.
Bad command or file name

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2011, 04:45:51 PM »
I have read all the criticisms in this topic and I am still going to buy one of these as soon as I can like a total sucker because I want MegaMan Legends 3.

I hate everything. :(
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2011, 05:21:12 PM »
I have read all the criticisms in this topic and I am still going to buy one of these as soon as I can like a total sucker because I want MegaMan Legends 3.

Me too most likely.  I mean, Nintendo's not going to drop a new hardware revision for at least a year, and prices aren't going to fall anytime soon either.  And the NGP is far enough away to not really affect my decision.  Plus it's going to get games, it's Nintendo.

I just expect it to collect a lot of dust for a while until things start coming out :\

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2011, 05:24:38 PM »
I know I'm going to get one, but I'm going to do the smart thing and wait for the 3DS Dual Core Alpha Warrior Butler Neo.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2011, 06:23:45 PM »
I know I'm going to get one, but I'm going to do the smart thing and wait for the 3DS Dual Core Alpha Warrior Butler Neo.
I won't have a choice, I have to wait, but oh god I am so tempted to just say fuck it and get one and the extended battery :\

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2011, 07:19:03 PM »
Looks like I'm going to be the cool kid on my block for purchasing a third party battery to extend the shitty life.

Though I'm still most likely not getting a 3DS anytime soon.

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2011, 09:39:34 PM »
3DS get :3 Now to charge this thing and get massive headaches woo!

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2011, 10:33:22 PM »
Well, I can always hope that Legends 3 doesn't come out until after there have been re-releases with noticeable hardware improvements and/or a price drop.

Lord knows I've waited for this goddamn game long enough!
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2011, 11:40:57 PM »
Lord knows I've waited for this goddamn game long enough!
We all have! However it's not anywhere near release for what I can see.

« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2011, 11:46:38 PM »
Oh man the 3D is better than I thought, but maybe that's because I've only read bad things about it :V

I think I know what one of the issues is though. You're supposed to play it a least a foot away from your face. The 3D looks better and I'm assuming it won't be as hard on the eyes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:01:22 AM by Pok?mon Master Suikama »

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2011, 12:42:50 AM »
A friend(probably my only friend too *cough*) got a 3DS. I'm not impressed. Going to wait for the 3DSlite and good titles to be released.

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2011, 12:51:47 AM »
Hmm my speakers seems oddly quiet. Guess I should go get that checked :x

or maybe it's just me
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:54:27 AM by Pok?mon Master Suikama »

Mocking Morning

• Tonight We Stand In Circles!
  • DHS Danmaku Inspector
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2011, 03:51:09 AM »
The only thing that would've made the 3DS a day one buy for me if there was a new Advance Wars game being released as a launch title.

Until then I'm gonna wait on buying the 3DS.
How many times have you woken up and asked yourself: What the hell am I doing?
Today, your plane did not blow up thanks to the cooperation of Touhou Girls and TSA Officers.

« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2011, 03:52:26 AM »
Well, gonna try out this streetpass thing tommorow on my way to school. Not gonna get my hopes up but hey it's not like it takes any effort to do. :derp:

a_certain_kappa

« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2011, 05:50:22 AM »
I empathise with you.

At first, I was totally unimpressed by the whole 3D gimmick. And then, Capcom gave the internet a picture of Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright, together, in the same frame. Oh God, this could not be true! Is this what I think it is?  *insert fangirl scream*
God damn it, Capcom! Localise the damn game, will you! I'm going to spam your e-mail everyday until you localise it.

ps: By localise, I mean localise it into the U.S. I'll let the butchered Queen's English slide for this one.

Viroque

• Questionable Soul
  • Well, this works.
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2011, 07:03:45 AM »
Cave Story 3D. Nuff said.