Author Topic: Western Roses - Touhou Tabletop RPG Project  (Read 6621 times)

Ayuka

• Pursuer of cute things
  • Not obsessive in the slightest.
    • Neko Arrange
Western Roses - Touhou Tabletop RPG Project
« on: March 05, 2011, 02:41:41 AM »
Most recent version: v0.2
Read the rules online here.

v0.2 Changelog
-Now operates upon 4 d6s rather than 3.
-Versus checks have been simplified.
-Dexterity has been replaced by Charisma as a stat. Other base stats have had their functions changed.
-Strength has been renamed power.
-Senses have been done away with, replaced with basic checks to the main stats.
-Sub-stats has been boiled down to HP, speed, deck size, and range.
-Turn order in combat is now based completely upon speed.
-You are now allowed 3 actions per turn rather than 1.
-Actions have been boiled down to move, attack, concentrate, or use of abilities.
-Attacking and dodging has been changed. Danmaku attacks still use the old system, but physical attacks are now a versus check against the attacker?s power and the defender?s charisma.
-Grazing is now a check against insight.
-Injury has been boiled down to mortal wounds, unconsciousness, death, and utter destruction.
-HP is now mostly positive rather than falling into the negatives as before.
-Mortal wounds now occur at below 1/4 max HP.
-Death now occurs at below 0 HP.
-Utter Destruction now occurs at -1xHP.
-Damage table has been updated to correct typos and make danmaku attacks weaker than physical attacks. It is still likely to be changed completely in the next version.
-Intro to Power section has been re-worded, explanation at bottom now mentions custom-creatable options which will be implemented in a later version.
-Sense checks are now based on insight, will checks on intelligence.
-Fear and stun have been reworked to differentiate one from the other.

Coming in the next version
-Character creation
-New damage table

---
Have you ever wished there was a tabletop Touhou RPG system? No? You sure? Well, I have! Ever since a month ago! So I went searching around for a bit to see if there were any systems already written out. The only one I found was Danmaku Yuugi -Flowers- which had... problems with it. So I decided if I really wanted it so bad, why not do it myself? So I did! The full rules are a bit long, so I won't post them here, but I will link to them in this group of words here.

The system is based off of GURPS, the Generic Universal Role-Playing System, but has been heavily adapted to make it more applicable to Gensokyo. The rules I've written so far haven't been play-tested yet, but I'll be updating them as I test the mechanics and/or get new ideas. If anyone's interested in leaving some critiques for how I can improve the system, please do, whether you've actually played the system or just read the rules, because I'd love for a viable Touhou RPG to eventually rise from this project one way or another.

Known Problems:
-No item, skill, or character creation system (currently relies on GURPS for all three)
-Health is currently based on GURPS which means HP can (and will) fall into the negatives. This just seems weird.

To Be  Implemented:
-Resolution of above problems.
-Spell Card system: This will be based on the fighting game system in that each player will have a deck of cards consisting of spellcards, abilities, etc that will be drawn and used throughout combat. There will be several different types of spellcards including normal cards and bomb cards which cancel damage done to you and give you a chance to deal damage to your attacker.
-Health, disease, and poison (particularly where Eirin and Yumemi are concerned).
-Flying System: To keep players from simply flying over any obstacle or enemy you put in their way.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:56:30 AM by Fragile »

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
Re: Western Roses - Touhou Tabletop RPG Project
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 12:18:50 PM »
Have you ever wished there was a tabletop Touhou RPG system? No? You sure? Well, I have! Ever since a month ago! So I went searching around for a bit to see if there were any systems already written out. The only one I found was Danmaku Yuugi -Flowers- which had... problems with it. So I decided if I really wanted it so bad, why not do it myself? So I did! The full rules are a bit long, so I won't post them here, but I will link to them in this group of words here.
Interesting, and I hope you do more of that... on another I have made my interpretation of said "missing tabletop Touhou RPG" just making a general thinking of a turn based strategy game, rather than a tabletop RPG(I just don't want to post it in this topic since it would not be that kind of me...).

On another note this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Adventures

C27

• Byronic Commando
  • Tactical danmaku operator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 06:51:48 AM »
Possibly interested. Any news?

Ayuka

• Pursuer of cute things
    • Neko Arrange
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 06:51:06 AM »
This will be somewhat slowly updating since I have no way to actually play-test it at the moment so, no. But I'll be uploading a few sample character sheets in the near future (probably by the end of the weekend) and from there begin working on character creation rules.

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 02:20:51 PM »
Oh well... since you could ask for help here in testing...  or any advice.. or just having a play test around here altogether. 

Ayuka

• Pursuer of cute things
    • Neko Arrange
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 02:55:17 AM »
I'd love to if people were interested. Don't know if I could find a good time to do it over skype or something, but I suppose it could be done in posts. Though be warned that you'd be dealing with someone who has never DMed an RPG before.

Advice would also be greatly appreciated regardless.

Dorian Loup

• Lurker
  • I'm a member now o/
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:18:55 PM »
Hello hello!

Having quite often created my own Tabletop RPG system, i would advice to create one from scratch rather than using the GURPS one. Gurps is a bit oldschool and heavy, imho, and, for something as specific as Touhou, I don't think it is the best suited.

I would rather look at something a bit more abstract, like Hero Wars system for example : http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=8 (OMG the US illustration is horrible). I also think the system should have some incentive so that players make beautiful descriptions of their danmaku, rewarding details and inventive patterns.

But I'm really fond of strange rpg systems :)
French noob!

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 12:42:17 AM »
Don't be a afraid to borrow things from existing sources.
Oh yea... that... I needed to make my own thing, based on pictures I could understand from that...

Ayuka

• Pursuer of cute things
    • Neko Arrange
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 03:19:07 AM »
Hello hello!

Having quite often created my own Tabletop RPG system, i would advice to create one from scratch rather than using the GURPS one. Gurps is a bit oldschool and heavy, imho, and, for something as specific as Touhou, I don't think it is the best suited.

It's loosely based on GURPS. I've already changed a lot of the systems, but I'm relying on the GURPS rules for things I haven't written yet.

I would rather look at something a bit more abstract, like Hero Wars system for example : http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=8 (OMG the US illustration is horrible).
Alright, I'll give that a check. I've also been told I should check out Big Eyes, Small Mouth but I don't know how well it would fit the Touhou universe.

I also think the system should have some incentive so that players make beautiful descriptions of their danmaku, rewarding details and inventive patterns.
I love this idea and will be implementing it as soon as possible.

Don't be a afraid to borrow things from existing sources.
I've checked out Danmaku Yuugi. It was the fact there was so many... well, problems with it that led me to writing my own. Still, it's provided some influences on the rules I'm writing.

For anyone actually keeping tabs on this, I didn't get the character sheets posted up like I said I would. There is a reason for this! The rules regarding character creation have changed and I need to change the character sheets so they use the same system. v0.2 of the rules should be on the site soon (tomorrow if not tonight) which will pave the way for character creation rules. Then it'll almost be like this is an actual RPG.

EDIT: New version of the rules is now posted on the site. They've been re-worked a great deal from v0.1, and I think this new version should work a lot better especially at making the game simpler. Thanks, Dorian. I took your advice and moved away from the GURPS base, reintroducing some things I had taken out at the beginning. Character creation coming in the near future. You can read the new rule-set here.

V0.2 Changelog
-Now operates upon 4 d6s rather than 3.
-Versus checks have been simplified.
-Dexterity has been replaced by Charisma as a stat. Other base stats have had their functions changed.
-Strength has been renamed power.
-Senses have been done away with, replaced with basic checks to the main stats.
-Sub-stats has been boiled down to HP, speed, deck size, and range.
-Turn order in combat is now based completely upon speed.
-You are now allowed 3 actions per turn rather than 1.
-Actions have been boiled down to move, attack, concentrate, or use of abilities.
-Attacking and dodging has been changed. Danmaku attacks still use the old system, but physical attacks are now a versus check against the attacker?s power and the defender?s charisma.
-Grazing is now a check against insight.
-Injury has been boiled down to mortal wounds, unconsciousness, death, and utter destruction.
-HP is now mostly positive rather than falling into the negatives as before.
-Mortal wounds now occur at below 1/4 max HP.
-Death now occurs at below 0 HP.
-Utter Destruction now occurs at -1xHP.
-Damage table has been updated to correct typos and make danmaku attacks weaker than physical attacks. It is still likely to be changed completely in the next version.
-Intro to Power section has been re-worded, explanation at bottom now mentions custom-creatable options which will be implemented in a later version.
-Sense checks are now based on insight, will checks on intelligence.
-Fear and stun have been reworked to differentiate one from the other.

Coming in the next version
-Character creation
-New damage table
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:57:16 AM by Fragile »