Author Topic: Touhou PC based game  (Read 5449 times)

night-frenzy

Touhou PC based game
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:51:03 PM »
hello

i recently got in touhou after hearing about it so much and i realized how fun it was !
i was thinking of starting a fan made pc +(or) iphone game (i work as professional game programmer but i like to have fun with my spare time :D )

i'm wondering how well it would work on iPhone, its hard playing keyboard based games on touchscreens a lot of time
so i may only make a pc version.

what are your thoughts on how well it could work with touchscreen controls ?
also do any of you have a jailbroken iOs device? i'd be able to post demos during development for you guys to try out.

by the way i'd be glad to include anyone on this project,
i have all the necessary programming skills so let me know if you want to help out with anything else :)

EDIT:
I'll be making a PC version, the few posts below cover the issues with an iOs app.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 04:10:47 AM by night-frenzy »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: Touhou iPhone/PC based fan game
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:07:25 PM »
I don't think touch screens and Touhou get along very well. I do know there are Cave STGs on the App Store, but IIRC the gameplay is optimized for the touch interface and the games on the mobile devices aren't exactly the same as their arcade/console counterparts.
If Touhou was on iOS, I could see the main screen being centred and the controls on the sides to minimize screen blocking, but the game itself would probably be made easier owing to lesser precision of touch screens. I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad version also had BlueTooth keyboard support..

More importantly, IIRC ZUN doesn't allow Touhou derivative works to be made available on direct download services, including the App Store, Xbox Live's Indie Marketplace, and the Android Market, as noted on his blog (translation/opinion on the issue here (ugh Wikia) below in Master Bigode's link).

Therefore, I would recommend just making the PC version and deal with the touch-screen elements later (mostly for those pesky keyboard-less tablet PC users :D). Touhou iOS will probably never happen.

(Oh, and I don't have an iOS device to test with, though I am also writing a game for said platform as well as PCs)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:39:52 PM by iPad Kernel Panic...? »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:31:18 PM »
More importantly, IIRC ZUN doesn't allow Touhou derivative works to be made available on direct download services, including the App Store, Xbox Live's Indie Marketplace, and the Android Market, as noted on his blog (translation/opinion on the issue here (ugh Wikia)).

Proper translation:
http://www.gensokyo.org/archives/1682

I figure it's ok to make games for the iPhone for as long as you don't try to distribute them on the official App Store.

night-frenzy

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:42:06 PM »
I don't think touch screens and Touhou get along very well. I do know there are Cave STGs on the App Store, but IIRC the gameplay is optimized for the touch interface and the games on the mobile devices aren't exactly the same as their arcade/console counterparts.
If Touhou was on iOS, I could see the main screen being centred and the controls on the sides to minimize screen blocking, but the game itself would probably be made easier owing to lesser precision of touch screens. I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad version also had BlueTooth keyboard support..

More importantly, IIRC ZUN doesn't allow Touhou derivative works to be made available on direct download services, including the App Store, Xbox Live's Indie Marketplace, and the Android Market, as noted on his blog (translation/opinion on the issue here (ugh Wikia)).

Therefore, I would recommend just making the PC version and deal with the touch-screen elements later (mostly for those pesky keyboard-less tablet PC users :D). Touhou iOS will probably never happen.

(Oh, and I don't have an iOS device to test with, though I am also writing a game for said platform as well as PCs)

I just play tested a demo on my device, yeah you pretty much hit the nail about how it should play, it doesn't go that well with the touch screen.
Even worse on a smaller screen like my iPod.

Thanks for the info, i wasn't aware of that.
Although you could get away with making a game similar to Touhou, no need for a direct derivative of the franchise.

I'll stick to a PC version in that case, thanks for the reply and useful information !

Proper translation:
http://www.gensokyo.org/archives/1682

I figure it's ok to make games for the iPhone for as long as you don't try to distribute them on the official App Store.

I was definitely not planning on releasing on the AppStore but the gameplay issues mentioned above are also reason enough to not make an iOs game.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:57:55 PM »
by the way i'd be glad to include anyone on this project,
i have all the necessary programming skills so let me know if you want to help out with anything else :)

EDIT:
I'll be making a PC version, the few posts below cover the issues with an iOs app.

I may be able to assist with testing, music, and (less likely since there are better illustrators out there) illustration, though my real incentive for this is to learn more about coding (my own game design project is stuck at that part).
I also wonder what languages, libraries, OS support, etc. will be included? This (and making TF2 weapons on the side for 3D modelling practice) might be interesting.

I think ZUN's statement of direct commercial download services also includes Cydia (jailbroken iToy iOS devices' app store). I don't know much about jailbroken app distribution, but if it's similar to control-lacking Android then I can see an iOS Touhou being distributed through small venues such as the developer's own website, with updating being handled by end users.

Bad command or file name

night-frenzy

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 03:53:05 AM »
I may be able to assist with testing, music, and (less likely since there are better illustrators out there) illustration, though my real incentive for this is to learn more about coding (my own game design project is stuck at that part).
I also wonder what languages, libraries, OS support, etc. will be included? This (and making TF2 weapons on the side for 3D modelling practice) might be interesting.

I haven't designed the game yet so I'll post those details when I do :)

What is your current project ?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: Touhou PC based game
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:10:15 AM »
I haven't designed the game yet so I'll post those details when I do :)

What is your current project ?

That sounds cool.

As for my own work, it is an arcade-style game mixing aspects of side-scrollers and 2D fighting games (two genres I like to play often). ATM I'm working on it alone - basic premises, music, and illustrations are simple, but the coding process isn't  (and university work doesn't help) :(.
In regards to coding, I'm trying to make it cross-platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, maybe MeeGo) and friendly to modifications (I think I'll release the code under a permissive license when I'm done with it). Not surprisingly this makes programming even more difficult....
Bad command or file name