Author Topic: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic is one of the best cartoons ever.  (Read 53396 times)

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
Re: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic is one of the best cartoons ever.
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
...I wish I knew what issue that was.  But yeah, Batman watches Sailor Moon!
The Martian Manhunter even moreso, then.  :V
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 06:28:16 PM »
The more I've been seeing this spammed everywhere, the less I've been wanting to watch it.

But only hipsters poo-poo a thing just because it's popular. I'll give it a shot.

I generally just find I CAN'T watch something after seeing it spammed everywhere. I won't say I hate it until I see it, but you get the point.

Hence why I'll never finish watching Gurren Lagann...

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »
I generally just find I CAN'T watch something after seeing it spammed everywhere. I won't say I hate it until I see it, but you get the point.

Hence why I'll never finish watching Gurren Lagann...
This is why I didn't watch TTGL until two years after the hype. I can't do that, either. Give this thing a chance in a few months, maybe, then find out for yourself what you think.

In fact, that's what I will likely be doing with this. I am intrigued, though.

Drake

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 07:46:17 PM »
Rainbow Dash:

Anyone else think of a certain song that was spammed around here thank to adult swim when they read this name?  :V

I was tempted to watch this show, then I realised its more cool and sophisticed to wait until everyone else has stopped talking about it to watch it, because following the crowd isnt cool, man.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 07:47:35 PM »
You gotta wait until you can backlash against the backlash, you see...

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 08:30:57 PM »
You gotta wait until you can backlash against the backlash, you see...

Yes. At which point you can say, "Oh, that cartoon? Yeah, it's pretty good, I guess. But it was a lot better when you could only watch it at the studio. My uncle works there."

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 08:46:45 PM »
Anyone else think of a certain song that was spammed around here thank to adult swim when they read this name?  :V
There is a Rainbow Dash flash game.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »
This is why I didn't watch TTGL until two years after the hype.[/b]

Did you atleast enjoy TTGL!?!??!?  :ohdear:

Anyways, I might try this out because of Stocking-pony this is also how I discovered P&SwG, which is now one of my all-time favorite anime~

edit: For a while I thought this was a joke topic.....

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 10:12:35 PM »
Latest episode was sooooooooo good.

Spoiler:
Can you do that!? Can you explode twice!?

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 10:22:54 PM »
I watched it.
This is coming from a guy who hates cartoons with a burning passion, but I have to say it was pretty decent.
ps i'm not gay.

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »
This show is hot stuff.

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 10:43:36 PM »
"Twilight ... Sparkle." Okay, I see what someone on some level must have did there.

Also, according to a comics-fan friend of mine, "Totally missing a chance for it to have only been rated 4.5 stars, and the missing .5 being another reason to try and kill Reed Richards."

Also-also: the Batman thing clearly means he prefers the subtitled version. (On top of which: Sailor Mars.)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 10:56:28 PM »
Hmmm.

You have me caught in a dilemma here. As the sole son in a family of four children, I was exposed to the original My Little Pony TV series. Though I'm not going to say it was incredible, I do recall it being at least a decent watch for a girl's show at that age.

Now, though...masculinity is half the issue, and also the other half. If I get caught by my family watching My Little Pony, I'll be getting ribbons and dresses for my birthday no questions asked. So I'm kinda on the fence.

If Wind Whistler was still around I'd probably watch it regardless, but RUINED FOREVER HASBRO

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2011, 12:19:19 AM »
Well, it is time. It is time to say good bye to my manliness, and witness a fragment of my childhood I'd thought long since forgotten. Something I'd discarded to my youthful memories never to be seen again.

I am about to watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

I have heard stories about this. That despite the fact it's, well, My Little freaking Pony, it's actually a half-decent cartoon. Well-written, and not saccharine-sweet like its predecessors.

I am just queer enough to give this a try without being violently ill. I'm still ready for this to be a huge troll, but whatever.

Let's go.

>Once upon a time...

Well, good to see we're starting nice and generic, I guess.[/sarcasm]

>The magical land of Equestria

I'm not going to lie, this made me smirk a little. I like wordplay, a lot.

And...wow, this plot is actually kind of mature. For a kids' show, at least. It's not SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS like I was expecting. I...sorta like it.

Protag looks too much like Stocking. GAINAX YOU HAVE RUINED MY LITTLE PONY FOR ME YOU MONSTERS ;_;

Aaaand here comes the intro. I'm sorry, in spite of everything that's been good up until now, the intro makes me feel like someone is pushing a metric ton of sugar down my throat while smiling maniacally-

wait, what? What is this?!

Still kinda girly, but not the painful sort of girly I used to be made to look through. Kinda generic, but it's better than being 'uuuugh' so I will let it away.

The protagonist is called Twilight. This is begging for exploitation.

And wow, if this is a little-kids show I don't get why people are acting like 12-year-olds. Animation is also surprisingly good.

Unicorn magic always struck me as slightly broken, in all fairness. I don't remember - has there ever been a pegasus/unicorn combo-wait the pony in the legend has it HOLY CRAP THIS SHOW IS READING MY MIND

So far, Twilight seems like a bit of a jerk, but that's probably so she can be FRIENDIFIED somewhere down the line. Nice to see they actually have a character who isn't cuddly-happy that isn't an obvious villain.

Spike ;_;

More wordplay jokes. I admit I liked Wind Whistler the most mainly because she had the most entertaining vocabulary, and Twilight seems to be picking up the role of The One Who's A Little Too Smart.

"I'm sure the princess will trust m-wait what"

Twilight just got fucking OWNED.

OPERATION STOP BEING A SHUT-IN, COMMENCE

>Twilight stays in a library
Uh...Sakana? Check under the floorboards. We may have a case of ponies.

I'd be tempted to call out Twilight as being wrong, and Night Mare Moon is actually never going to come back. Just for the sake of being a fresh twist.

"The fate of Equestria does not rest on me making friends!"
Welp, you went and jinxed it.

Wait, male ponies? Who can't speak. Iiiiiiii'm not getting it.

OH GOD NO SHE SAID HELLO THAT IS THE WORST WORD IN THE PONY LANGUAGE I AM OUT OF HERE

Twilight how can you suck so bad at friendship

What's this? I heard the sound of SOUTHERN STATE STEREOTYPE! DOWN-TO-EARTH, FARM-RUNNING GIRL WHO DOESN'T CARE FOR ALL THEM FANCY BOOK THANGS, HERE WE GO!

Bitch kicks a tree for free apples. That's hardcore.

wait how do pony handshakes even WORK
THEY DON'T HAVE ANY GODDAMN FINGERS
oh wait it's two hooves holding one.
That...actually works. Damn.

APPLEJACK CLEAN THAT TRIANGLE DO YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH AND SAFETY
YOU COULD GIVE SOME POOR EARTH PONY FOOD POISONING.

>Bombardment of apple puns
I am smiling, I will not lie.
Am I hearing things or are her legs creaking? :o

Twilight succumbs to the guilt-trip attack! The true secret weapon of any pony.

How do you control the we-pegasus DASHING INTO CLOUDS
THAT IS JUST VIABLE ENOUGH TO BE BELIEVABLE.

Already this pegasus' laugh is frustrating me.

Why am I laughing at this scene why am I finding it funny whyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Twilight showing hints of being a manipulative jerk by tricking Rainbow into doing her job. I like it!

Oh damn Spike has a crush. On...fashion stylist pony, who is just enough of a stereotype to be funny.

This scene with style-pony (name not sure of) pulling at the corset (??) is...awkward.

The way Twilight flinches the moment ANYONE says 'friend' is kinda entertaining along with the :< chord in the background.

'Focus, Casanova.'
OK you would NEVER hear that line in the old show. It's...wow. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

BIRD CHOIR GO

oh damn we have found the moe pony, haven't we.

Good to see Twilight is as freaked out by her...what sound is that? Whining? Squealing? As I am.

Dude Spike is getting all the chicks. That guy is all over this shit.

"AND THAT'S THE STORY OF MY WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE"
Told in the space of a few hours? You're either really young or your life is really dull.

Twilight's eyes bouncing around her head to give emphasis to 'CRAAAAAZY PONIES' is too funny.

BITCH YOU GOT SURPRISE PARTY'D
WHY ARE PEOPLE SO HAPPY WITH YOU GIVEN YOU JUST CALLED THEM CRAZY

oh god being social
why can't i just go save the world insteFRIENDSHIIIIIIP

Kogasa in pony form, come forth.

Twilight, unable to bear the atmosphere, pours herself a gratuitous helping of alcohol hot sauce. WHY WOULD YOU EVEN DRINK THAT

Lesson of this story: Pinkie has no goddamn tastebuds. That or she is IMMUNE TO PAIN.

Ponies listen to SRS HARDCORE TECHNO? I don't get it.

AND THEY'RE UP UNTIL FOUR IN THE MORNING HOLY SHIT THESE PEOPLE NEED SOME GODDAMN RESPONSIBILITY

Pin the Tail on the Pony? Why would ponies play that?

Adult ponies? That is also strange.

FUCK WE MISPLACED THE PRINCESS I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS

MAYOR HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR POCKETS

OK Pinkie is kind of hilarious.

And HOLY SHIT IT'S NIGHT MARE MOON WE'RE ALL FUCKED

Twilight looks worried but you can tell she's thinking 'BITCH I TOTALLY CALLED THIS'.

THIS DAY WILL BE YOUR LAST
and by that i mean it's gonna be night forever not that i'm gonna kill you or anything because that's just fucking mean

...And end.

...I don't know how to feel. I...actually liked it. It's My Little Pony which means by definition it should be a huggy-fluffy pile of saccharine-sweet goodness, but...it wasn't. The writing was perky and cheery without being overly done, the animation is actually pretty great, the characters distinct enough to be interesting [compare with the old show where it was a new pony every episode and OH MAN CHARACTER OVERLAP ALL OVER THE PLACE] and I actually found myself laughing more than once.

So, uh...yeah. Might just keep up with this if I find the time. Now if you don't mind, I'm off to hand in my dick because I apparently don't have a need for it any more. -_-

Captain Infinity

• Captain of Echo Platoon, 3rd Battalion.
  • To bring chaos and honor to this world gone soft.
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2011, 12:41:20 AM »
I refuse to give up my guns and swords for some magical little ponies!

NEVER EVER SHALL I FALL FOR THIS TRAP AGAIN (after falling for it several times when my sister told me to watch various anime that shall not be named orz) >:D

Besides, someones got to keep those zombies in check.

* Infinity loads a rifle and goes zombie hunting

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2011, 01:14:24 AM »
Did you atleast enjoy TTGL!?!??!?  :ohdear:
I did, very much so! But I just couldn't bring myself to watch it because I knew I wouldn't be able to appreciate it on its own merits in the midst of all the hype. I just waited a little bit. :3

So, uh...yeah. Might just keep up with this if I find the time. Now if you don't mind, I'm off to hand in my dick because I apparently don't have a need for it any more. -_-
If you need to hand in your masculinity to enjoy a quality work, you weren't doing it right to begin with. >_>

Hmm, I wonder what channel this is on around here...

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2011, 08:11:03 AM »
Hmm, I wonder what channel this is on around here...

Quote from: Letty
The show airs on Fridays at 10:30 AM and 1:30 PM on the Hub, which is a basic satellite/digital cable channel which replaced Discovery Kids (channel listing finder below). I wasn't kidding when I said it had an unfortunate timeslot.

http://www.hubworld.com/channel-locator

There are twenty-six episodes lined up for the current season, twelve of which have aired, with a second season already on order.

Buuut, as many kids won?t be able to catch it on there and the Hub website takes down the episodes it puts up rather quickly, the creator has voiced unofficial approval for Youtube postings of the show (by linking to them from her DeviantArt).

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2011, 09:17:06 AM »
Screw you guys, I was intrigued enough to watch the first episode and now my roommates think I'm weird for laughing so loudly while watching a show with RAINBOWS AND PONIES.

Show ain't too shabby though. The premise seems interesting enough, writing looks good. I might go ahead and follow this but this would mean that the only show I'm following right now is MLP...  :blush:

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2011, 10:13:09 AM »
Mock your roommates for bring jocks and bros.

Regardless of reality.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2011, 12:40:59 PM »
Mock your roommates for bring jocks and bros.

Regardless of reality.
Mock them for not being jockeys and bronies.

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »
So, I watched it. A few thoughts:
  • Episode 4 (Applebuck Season): Applejack and Pinkie moving back and forth at the trophy really needs to be set to some fitting/unfitting music.
  • Episode 10 (Swarm of the Century): Did...did Twilight reference Blazing Saddles near the end there?
    Spoiler:
    "We need to build an exact copy of Ponyville right over there!"
  • Episode 13 (Fall Weather Friends): Hey, they actually used the hot air balloon from the theme song! Also, Pinkie's commentary on the race reminded me of Luna Lovegood's Quidditch commentary in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2011, 06:29:57 PM »
Pretty much the best thing.

Smok, destroyer of thoughts

• The dangers of combing Ran and Mokou fanboyism
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2011, 06:50:30 PM »
I watched ep 1. Well, uh... It wasn't bad. I expected much worse, but this was good.

It gets better onwards? You watch this? :P

Mokou Fan

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Ep 2 has a speech that, with a bit more profanity added, would come straight from Kamina.

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2011, 06:54:14 PM »
Cirno's Pretty Magical Colts

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2011, 06:57:41 PM »
Oh how I wanna rip Mint's avatar for tempting me. :colonveeplusalpha:

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2011, 06:59:40 PM »
Oh how I wanna rip Mint's avatar for tempting me. :colonveeplusalpha:
:dwialpha:

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2011, 07:26:14 PM »
This generally looks like something I stay away from but, after this hype dog is put to sleep, then maybe I'll see what this about. Maybe.

You know me, I'm never one to go with the crowd.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:27:47 PM by DRUG FREAKOUT »
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Letty Whiterock