Author Topic: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic is one of the best cartoons ever.  (Read 53386 times)

Letty Whiterock

Shamelessly stolen from SA:

Allright let's keep it clean people, I'm cutting and pasting the original OP by Redeye from the original thread(since the OP was so good). There's plenty of us who like Magic Ponies, deal with it. :frogc00l:

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a new cartoon from Hasbro, revolving around the--

...I'm leaving.

Get back here.

Despite the extremely girly name, saturation of pinks in the color scheme, and legacy attachments to the 80's, this cartoon is GOOD. Sit down, and I'll tell you why.

Okay, why should I watch this?

It's directed, produced, and overseen by Lauren Faust, wife of Craig McCracken. You might know her better from work such as The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. This is a woman who A. knows what she's doing, and B. doesn't go for the old "let's throw tea parties and defeat villains by sharing" bullshit.

And this shows though, STRONGLY, in Friendship is Magic. It feels much more like the Powerpuff Girls than any previous MLP cartoons-- the writing is clever and snappy, the humor is surprisingly witty, the voice acting is top-notch, the characters are distinct and likable, and in every episode there?s at least one joke or reference which was clearly put in more for the adults watching than the kids.

Oh, and the art is damned good too.

I don?t believe you. A My Little Pony cartoon that doesn?t rot your teeth?

I know! But this thing is on FIRE. Despite a rather unfortunate timeslot it's found a wide and devoted audience already, and is quickly shedding the old albatross of girl's cartoons past. A good chunk of that audience, surprisingly, is also male, and in the 20-35 demographic--though most of those would probably never admit to watching it, at least not in public.

Well, tell me more, I guess. Maybe name some characters?

Twilight Sparkle: The de facto leader of our central cast. A unicorn who?s extremely book smart and good at magic, but is a bit new to this ?social life? thing. She?s been assigned by her boss, Princess Celestia, to study the ?magic of friendship? in Ponyville, which is the excuse for the plots-of-the-week and the Mork Calling Orson bits at the end of each episode.

Spike: Twilight?s assistant/friend/baby dragon/personal mail system. Though he?s supposed to be helping Twilight study magic, his job is mostly to provide snark. He?s also one of only two legacy characters in the series, thanks to Hasbro losing the licenses to the old ponies. The other one is...

Applejack: An earth pony who is proprietor and operator of Sweet Apple Acres, an orchard outside of town. Applejack is stubborn, blunt, and not much given to subtlety, but she?s also honest, reliable, and as faithful a friend as you could ask for.

Rainbow Dash: A pegasus pony who LOVES to fly--preferably fast, and flashy. Rainbow Dash is in charge of keeping Ponyville?s weather under control, and though she?s a bit proud and insensitive at times, she cares deeply for her friends, and would never leave them--except maybe in her dust.

Pinkie Pie: Pinkie Pie is an earth pony who is the living embodiment of a sugar rush. She loves to party, and celebration seems to follow her like a wake behind a ship. If she has an off button, it hasn?t been found yet--but though she can be a bit irritating, she?s always a joy to have around.

Rarity: Rarity is a unicorn who is all about the fashion. She runs a fashion shop of her own in Ponyville, and is quite the artiste. She?s somewhat posh and a bit of a perfectionist, which can lead to her clashing with the down-to-earth Applejack, but if her friends or town need her, Rarity always pulls through.

Fluttershy: Fluttershy is a pegasus pony who is quite literally scared of her own shadow. She?s timid, quiet, and, well, shy, which makes her ideal for her job of working with animals, but despite her own fears she?s always willing to help out, providing that little bit of kindness wherever it?s needed.

Together they get into hi-jinx, laugh, cry, squabble, and save the world once or twice. Just like any other group of friends, huh?

Huh. All right, all right, I?ll give it a shot. You said this was on when?

The show airs on Fridays at 10:30 AM and 1:30 PM on the Hub, which is a basic satellite/digital cable channel which replaced Discovery Kids (channel listing finder below). I wasn't kidding when I said it had an unfortunate timeslot.

http://www.hubworld.com/channel-locator

There are twenty-six episodes lined up for the current season, twelve of which have aired, with a second season already on order.

Buuut, as many kids won?t be able to catch it on there and the Hub website takes down the episodes it puts up rather quickly, the creator has voiced unofficial approval for Youtube postings of the show (by linking to them from her DeviantArt).

Episode #                         Title                              Airdate

1            Friendship is Magic Part 1: The Mare in the Moon    October 10, 2010

2            Friendship is Magic Part 2: Elements of Harmony     October 22, 2010

3                           The Ticket Master                    October 29, 2010

4                           Applebuck Season                     November 5, 2010

5                         Griffon the Brush-Off                  November 12, 2010

6                             Boast Busters                      November 19, 2010

7                               Dragonshy                        November 26, 2010

8                         Look Before You Sleep                  December 3, 2010

9                             Bridle Gossip                      December 10, 2010

10                        Swarm of the Century                   December 17, 2010

11                           Winter Wrap-Up                      December 24, 2010

12                          Call of the Cutie                     January 7, 2011

13                         Fall Weather Friends                   January 28, 2011

14                          Suited for Success                    February 4, 2011

15                         Feeling Pinkie Keen                    February 11, 2011

16                           Sonic Rainboom                       February 18, 2011

So forget everything you knew, and give up your childish things--it?s time for some ponies!

Letty Whiterock

Re: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic is one of the best cartoons ever.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 01:20:57 PM »
In all seriousness, this show is pretty spectacular. Go watch it now.

Edit: Also, Twilight Sparkle is the MLP version of Stocking in design. Look at her.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 01:22:52 PM »
Letty's not bullshitting you.

I watched it with my little sister; it's a surprisingly fun show.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 01:23:40 PM »
I've been hearing all about it. Apparently it's actually a real good show despite being "girly".

...but I'm still resisting to...girly littly ponies...

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »
I've been hearing all about it. Apparently it's actually a real good show despite being "girly".

...but I'm still resisting to...girly littly ponies...
Give in to the temptation. Really, hit up that link to Hubworld in the OP and watch an episode. You can't go wrong with this one if you liked shows like The Powerpuff Girls.

TakuTaku

• Currently Incognito
  • I'm always losing to win
    • ah.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »
I hear it's pretty darn good for something that's FULL ON FRIENDSHIP.

I might check it out

DevArt | Twitter
freelance artist looking for work

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 01:30:45 PM »
You intrigue me, good sir/lady/youkai/fascist/communist/robot/zombie/muslim/mexican/somethingsomething.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 01:31:25 PM »
The fuck

Now I'm obligated to watch a few.

I'm a bit nervous.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 01:32:14 PM »
*cracks hooves*

YOU ARE ALREADY FRIEND!

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 01:33:06 PM »
...But can it stop The Smooze?
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 01:37:53 PM »
The first episode is a two parter. And I swear to god the main character gives a speech in the second part that, with a little added profanity, would fit the likes of Kamina.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »
Apparently it's on the Treehouse channel up here in Canada.

That's where all the toddler shows go on, and this show is on it? It seems a bit...advanced for toddlers

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 02:04:05 PM »
Oh god no Letty is not helping with that avatar.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 02:19:16 PM »
Oh god no Letty is not helping with that avatar.
THERE ARE MORE WHERE THEY CAME FROM

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 02:31:13 PM »
Oh hey, some guy apparently has all the episodes out up on YouTube, along with some MY LITTLE PONY EUROBEAT.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:33:12 PM by Edible »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 02:43:10 PM »
Remember that demographic chart of Pretty Cure, where it said the main viewers were elementary school girls and 20+ guys?

Yeah.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 02:52:20 PM »
Remember that demographic chart of Pretty Cure, where it said the main viewers were elementary school girls and 20+ guys?

Yeah.
Maybe they're on to something.

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »
I suppose I do have time to watch a couple over the weekend :V

Moerin

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 03:40:07 PM »
Well, now that I think about it, I guess I could use a good nostalgia bomb.  If I have time over the weekend, I might check it out.  But until then...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:42:59 PM by Magical Moerin~♥ »

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 03:47:04 PM »
Well, now that I think about it, I guess I could use a good nostalgia bomb.  If I have time over the weekend, I might check it out.  But until then...

You have no concept how disappointed I was when I learned that was fake.

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 03:53:58 PM »
Denial - "I can't believe /co/ is into this bullshit"

Anger - "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE THIS SHOW IS FOR LITTLE GIRLS"

Bargaining - "Fine I'll give it a try, but I am NOT going to be kind with my critique."

Depression - "Oh god its actually not bad. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME."

Acceptance - "Fluttershy is my waifu :3 :3 :3
chunliwas 3 months ago 117

Drake

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »
Ok after watching the first episode I can agree this is pretty high tier

Likely after the initial intro episodes I bet it gets better

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 04:00:34 PM »
The more I've been seeing this spammed everywhere, the less I've been wanting to watch it.

But only hipsters poo-poo a thing just because it's popular. I'll give it a shot.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 04:01:41 PM »
16                           Sonic Rainboom                       February 18, 2011

Wait what

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 04:30:54 PM »
Believe me, I have.
 :(

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Moerin

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »
Even if it's fake, it's totally in canon.  Just like Batman being a Sailor Moon fan (which ISN'T fake! :o).

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 04:51:16 PM »
Just like Batman being a Sailor Moon fan (which ISN'T fake! :o).
Tell me more.

Moerin

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »
Tell me more.
"In a JLA comic by Grant Morrison: Bruce Wayne is meeting with Clark Kent in Japan, and Clark introduces him to a young Japanese woman named Hino Rei. Bruce immediately recognizes "her" as the Martian Manhunter, both because of his body language, and, as he put it, "The name's a dead giveaway". Now think about it for a second, and wonder what Batman watches in his spare time... "
...I wish I knew what issue that was.  But yeah, Batman watches Sailor Moon!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥