Author Topic: Katsucon 2011!  (Read 9668 times)

Zakenna

• fomer Internet tough guy
  • Ahh After 10,000 years I'm free!
    • polyvinylcrush
Katsucon 2011!
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:59:25 AM »
Just noticed we're 2 weeks away from Katsucon. I remember there being a lot of talk after Otakon about Katsucon so I know some of you are planning on going this year. Got my room booked and and weekend cleared. Bringing my arcade stick this time around for some Arcana Heart 3 action too since I've been recently been infatuated with it.

Momiji

• Cya
Re: Katsucon 2011!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:23:37 PM »
Preregistered and everything, and I think we have a room too, I think....

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 07:50:31 PM »
You have two rooms. >_>
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 07:53:24 PM »
The anime club here pretty much invited everyone to come, (of course not everyone is going) so I got the chance to sign up for it! :3 All of the people who payed (including me) already have a room. I'm really looking forward to it!

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:19:40 PM »
You have two rooms. >_>
Ah!  That's right.  Thank you.  =]

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 03:45:23 AM »
I was planning on it but alas I am moving that weekend now  :ohdear:

Take lots of pictures!!!!

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 04:48:27 AM »
I have a bit of cash in the bank but I'm officially unemployed all over again. Have fun guys.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 09:38:12 PM »
I'll be there.

I've got my Komachi costume finally finished.  I just have to finish up the Scythe this weekend and I'll finally be fully set for it.  I'd hate to have to do it the last few days before the con.

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 01:41:04 AM »
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 02:03:19 AM by Momiji »
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 02:06:43 AM »

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 07:18:24 AM »
I hope the video from the panel gets put up somewhere public since Yucari absolutely slammed some guy in Q&A that mentioned The Game.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 11:00:30 PM »

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 01:14:16 AM »
OH BOY,
I was the Cirno who showed up in a suzumizu.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 01:53:34 AM »
I hope to see the vid for the panel too.  I was the Komachi who had blurted out when Kilga pointed at me being lazy.  Also, I'm uploading my pics and I'm going through them and I'll put online my choice ones on my DeviantArt page.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 03:15:17 AM »

Mima-sama

• What are you doing in that shrine you are not a god
  • You are too cool to be a god anyway :|
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 03:33:57 AM »
A Mima in the wind

SO MUCH HURR IN ONE FACE THAT IT JUST MAY, IT JUST MIGHT, DURR

Also, drunk Aya looks super-duper small in this picture.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:39:22 AM by Mima-sama »

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 04:43:50 AM »
omg its the same drunk aya

what a scoop

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 04:57:29 AM »

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 09:02:52 AM »
Uploaded my pictures!
Man that Utsuho just kept popping up barely offscreen. Then she he finally appeared in focus, with Mokou no less! Also, I love that Marisa/Tenshi/Komachi shot at the end.

And now I'm also really curious about the panel vid, hope it gets uploaded somewhere :3
My first attempt at storywriting, looking for critique

Avatar schizophrenia? I don't know what you're talking about.

Zakenna

• polyvinylcrush
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 01:13:50 PM »
Man that Utsuho just kept popping up barely offscreen. Then she he finally appeared in focus, with Mokou no less! Also, I love that Marisa/Tenshi/Komachi shot at the end.

And now I'm also really curious about the panel vid, hope it gets uploaded somewhere :3
ha ha I'm just too big for the camera to focus on  :D

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »
KON R REVYOO

+ Have I ever mentioned I love flying? I love flying. Planes are awesome. Airports are awesome. Both of my flights touched down ~10 minutes before their scheduled landing time despite one being quite turbulent and flying through precipitation that we hoped was rain and not snow. EVERYONE NEEDS TO FLY MORE IT IS THE GREATEST THING. Especially flying into Reagan National from the North. The approach is amazing. You get to see the Washington, the Lincoln, the White House and the Jefferson, all right in a row.
+ I like my friends. <3
+ We were on Total Non-Drama Island for the entire con. No one got notably upset about anything, no one got arguing-mad at anyone that I saw, and people were just chill in general. There was one thing Saturday but it was more sad and sympathetic than con-ruining angry. If the person involved in it wants to talk about it, they certainly can, but I'm not going to mention it beyond this.
+ Hen Da Ne! had two bkub Chen figures. Jiu bought one, and after I badgered him about it for ten minutes, Silentsword bought the other and sold it to the Silly Chen you see about 8 posts above. They also had Alice and Tewi credit cards, as well as Inaba Photeishop, which is face-recognition software that sticks Eirin hats and rabbit ears on people.
+ NO FUCKING SNOW. HALLELUJAH. The weekend was still kinda (okay, very) windy, but it was also warm for the most part.
+ National Harbor was as gorgeous as I remember it, and it's now also con-practical, having added a CVS and a reasonably-priced small market store in the past year. I managed to snag a one-day breakfast and liquid for the entire rest of the con from the market on Saturday morning for about $5.50.
+ Elevation Burger was delicious. And they actually had Saturday night food this time!
+ I went to the Pot Belly Friday night and ordered a Vegetarian sandwich with extra bacon. Be jealous.
+ Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl, RoboGeisha and Tokyo Gore Police
+ TOUHOUS IN JACKETS
+ Bad Anime Bad was longer and at a much better time (and in a much better room) than last year. I actually think Frankenstein is probably the weakest of the shows Malak demonstrates in terms of comedy, but it's still a solid piece (of shit) to work with.
+ Wrecking Super Mario Bros. 3's shit on Saturday. Someone dumped the game off at the very beginning of World 7 with 1 life and shitty items and I took it all the way to the house. \m/
+ TYPING OF THE DEAD
+ Duke Nukem x Pump It Up Doubles (see video above)
+ Good Tenshi cosplay! They actually did the rainbow around the dress pretty well.
+ I have learned that I am a total sucker for Tenshi doujins.
+ The panel was good fun, as it always is. Great turnout of people that hadn't played Toohoo before. Hoping Mefidex gets a chance to upload it soon.

- Reddyne, UK and Nobuhiko (ManWriggle, not our Nobu) couldn't make it. :( Edible also said he was going to show up and then didn't but that's okay because he's a big stupid butthead lying jerkface.
- 'Miz's fish sandwich from Thursday night had bones in it.
- Hen Da Ne!'s overall stock was crippled because Chris made a customs mistake and his boss, in an incredible lack of overall company foresight, decided to spite him by slow-boat shipping his stuff across the Pacific.
- Yuugi's geta are out of commission for the time being because the screws holding the front peg of the right sandal actually snapped Friday afternoon due to sole imbalance created by epoxy failure of all things. I'm going to have to redo that piece before AB.
- The large hallway that leads to all of the major ballrooms (where registration and the dealer's room typically are) smelled of ammonia the entire weekend. It was like a cat had pissed up and down the entire place. This marked the first anime convention in history where one entered the video game room to escape the bad stench.
- The entire baggage check process. KatsuCon decided it was a good idea this year to implement a system where you had to drop your coat and baggage off at a designated area before entering the video game room proper, as well as the dealer's room and artist's alley. The idea behind this was to prevent thefts (which makes me wonder why they ever tried to enforce it in the video game room because there's not a whole lot there to steal, and most of it is pretty well-monitored by the people actually using the things to play the games). Not only was this purpose completely defeated when my first dealer's room stop ended with me procuring a bag larger and easier to drop stolen goods into, but it took them fifteen minutes and seven staffers/volunteers to find my bag again. Completely inexcusable. This better disappear by next year.
- Walking to Elevation Burger in cosplay on the very windy Saturday night proved to be a really dumb idea on the whole.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 06:06:07 PM »
Especially flying into Reagan National from the North. The approach is amazing. You get to see the Washington, the Lincoln, the White House and the Jefferson, all right in a row.

I came to Reagan from the South for AUSA, and I got to see the Washington Monument and all the other nice things around it~<3

I think I may make an ACen thread soonish; prereg is already open... And I think Hyatt rooms are already booked.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 06:12:17 PM »
+ I like my friends. <3
+++++++++
+ Beautiful weather Thursday and Friday.
+ Mima and I managing to set up a decent PoDD multiplayer machine.  Everywhere we go, it's PC98 time.  \o/
+ So much Homestuck cosplay.
+ FREE INTERNET HOLY CRAP!!!!!  And it was good too!  Honestly, the Gaylord National is the least Nazi hotel I've been to (even though their restaurant prices are horrendous).
+ Getting hugged in the Touhou panel. <3
+ More Drunken Aya shenanigans.
+ Huge open spaces in the con center and hotel, with lots of elevators that didn't break down at all, and lots of bathrooms (I'm looking at you, AUSA)
+ A complete dearth of drama (outside.... that), quite nice and relaxing.
+ Craptons of classing game machines in the Game Room, at least 10 or so Dreamcasts and two Genesises.  I think I even saw a Jaguar and the 3DO they had at AUSA (I think it's the same game company).

If the person involved in it wants to talk about it, they certainly can, but I'm not going to mention it beyond this.
---------------
- Me falling asleep several times during the Bad Anime, Bad and the Wig panels.
- The weather Saturday.
- Horrible mental imagery from VGvs.FG, RoboGeisha, and TGP that I will never unsee the rest of my life.
- Bagcheck for the Dealer's room, especially since I don't have pockets in my dress.  =[
- One of the keyboards for Typing of the Dead breaking down.
- Although it's nice, I found the whole National Harbor to be pretty creepy to roam around in.
- Bones in my grilled rockfish sandwich.  Outside of that, it wasn't all that bad.
- Forgetting my tabi socks, having to buy a pair of crappy ones about 5 sizes too small.
- Accidentally leaving my backpack at Elevation Burger, having to brave the Aya-MPH winds to run back and get it, then trying to catch my breath while in my corset.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:14:34 PM by Momiji »

Zakenna

• polyvinylcrush
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 07:00:15 PM »

------
- Went the wrong way on the beltway so we doubled our travel time because driver didn't believe us until we reached the point of no return that heading towards Baltimore was the wrong thing to do
- Hitting a tree while going grocery shopping
- Having to wheel my friend around in a wheelchair when we wandered because he dislocated his knee during friday's rave
- Costumes falling apart
- MvC3 tournament on friday...seriously wtf
- no Arcana Heart 3 setup!  :(
- Touhou Panel's time slot

+++++
+ no Snow
+ Tokyo Gore Police
+ Internet in Hotel room was so nice, I even got green for uTorrent
+ all the Nanoha Merch in the Dealer's room. It's really nice to have a selection for once.
+ Ruffles Molten Hot Wings potato chips (It actually tastes like chicken!)
+ Sailing in a glow stick covered wheel chair
+ Comfortable shoes
+ People actually recognizing and appreciating my Hirano Kohta costume.

I know theres more + to mention but thats all that really pops out in my head. Funny enough, all the - happened on friday so if you take friday out of the equation Katsu was pretty awesome

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 09:06:32 PM »
- Reddyne, UK and Nobuhiko (ManWriggle, not our Nobu) couldn't make it. :(
The unfortunate reality is that all of our situations are nearly 100% beyond our control. We're all relying on the generosity and trust from complete strangers just to get a job or just to reach up to the second rung of an incredibly big ladder. Goddamnit does my life hurt.

- Having to wheel my friend around in a wheelchair when we wandered because he dislocated his knee during friday's rave
Are you sure it was the entire knee that was dislocated and not just the patella (kneecap)? The lower half of the leg goes with it quite frequently, but I've heard the medical definition of a dislocated knee some pretty horrifying damage. A patellar dislocation is an injury that can occur with a lot of sideways motion, especially in younger people. It also frequently happens to athletes/former athletes who do not exercise for a period like many do during winter. It happened to me once and I later aggravated it, which wasn't nearly so bad.

PS: Anti-inflammatories may be a really, really good idea.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Zakenna

• polyvinylcrush
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »
Are you sure it was the entire knee that was dislocated and not just the patella (kneecap)? The lower half of the leg goes with it quite frequently, but I've heard the medical definition of a dislocated knee some pretty horrifying damage. A patellar dislocation is an injury that can occur with a lot of sideways motion, especially in younger people. It also frequently happens to athletes/former athletes who do not exercise for a period like many do during winter. It happened to me once and I later aggravated it, which wasn't nearly so bad.

PS: Anti-inflammatories may be a really, really good idea.
serious
no idea I wasn't personally there when he fell.  but that does sound like what happened. We had some Ibuprofen on hand during the con. He eventually made his way to the family doctor so he should be fine since I haven't heard anything new regarding his knee, he only posted photos and vids of him touring the AA/Dealer's room on his facebook. So I guess he had fun with the situation. The rest of us didn't like having to use the elevators every time we wanted to change floors though.