Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)  (Read 173639 times)

Smok, destroyer of thoughts

• The dangers of combing Ran and Mokou fanboyism
Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 09:51:54 AM »
Wow.... pretty weird. Most fans while writing about her, tend to let her talk more like a person, less then a programed machine of mass destruction.

Mokou Fan

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 08:35:11 PM »
More questions about Hell. How does Hell relate to Chireiden and the SA cast (e.g. Utsuho and the Hell of Blazing Fires, the Palace of the Earth Spirits, etc.)? How does Makai fit into all this?

Also, why is Yuuka considered one of the strongest youkai in Gensokyo? I know she's old, but what powers does she have that make her more threatening than the other youkai?

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Drake

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »
Yuuka is powerful because she's just goddamn powerful. There are no extraneous abilities or special things about her that makes her powerful (hell her ability is " manipulation of flowers"). She just possesses great amounts of raw awesome.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 09:04:01 PM »
Something like Marisa.

To other questions I'd like to add:
In SWR and Hisoutensoku we can see Reimu has abilities to teleport. That's pretty wow and awesome. Is this somehow related to Yukari? Or Gods grant her such power as a Hakurei?

Mokou Fan

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 09:05:01 PM »
Yuuka is powerful because she's just goddamn powerful. There are no extraneous abilities or special things about her that makes her powerful (hell her ability is " manipulation of flowers"). She just possesses great amounts of raw awesome.

Well she did earn the "Ultimate Magic" after Mystic Square.

Drake

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 09:14:48 PM »
Something like Marisa.
No, Marisa was taught magic by Mima and she gets more powerful through training and experimenting with magic (and stealing). It doesn't really matter how Yuuka became so powerful. She's an old and powerful youkai, that's it.

In SWR and Hisoutensoku we can see Reimu has abilities to teleport. That's pretty wow and awesome. Is this somehow related to Yukari? Or Gods grant her such power as a Hakurei?
Reimu can fly out of existence, essentially. Even in IN she teleports across the screen and creates boundaries herself. I suppose it's an innate Hakurei ability that she picked up as her powers as a shrine maiden developed, and it was probably influenced by Yukari. But I don't think she currently has the ability to project a closed space like Yukari; just teleportation. Obviously her borders aren't as powerful as Yukari's either.

Well she did earn the "Ultimate Magic" after Mystic Square.
No, she's always been extraordinarily powerful. The Ultimate Magic was just something ZUN made up in Kioh Gyoku for her character profile that pretty much meant absolutely nothing.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 09:52:50 PM »
More questions about Hell. How does Hell relate to Chireiden and the SA cast (e.g. Utsuho and the Hell of Blazing Fires, the Palace of the Earth Spirits, etc.)? How does Makai fit into all this?

Also, why is Yuuka considered one of the strongest youkai in Gensokyo? I know she's old, but what powers does she have that make her more threatening than the other youkai?

What Drake said basically. Yukari warps reality, Flandre can blow shit up with her mind, Yuyuko can insta-kill most things with her mind and Yuuka just hits like a truck, no gimmicks. If Yukari is Magneto then Yuuka is the Juggernaut (,bitch). She just hits really freaking hard.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:12:58 AM by OkashiiKisei »

Mokou Fan

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 10:09:57 PM »
That question's a bit too close to "power-level discussion," which is verboten here.

And yeah, I didn't mean she actually was robotic. I meant that that was the reason for her acting that way in that specific situation.

Drake

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 11:19:12 PM »
just going to quietly mention that oni are by race physically stronger than "youkai" in a general sense and i would hold to the probability that physically yuugi can do more damage and over a longer period before exhausting.
the magical prowess of either, however, can't really be definitely measured and speculating on that would be powerlevels

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2011, 07:43:36 AM »

To our perspectives, she looks like she's teleporting, but Reimu says she's only going in a straight line.
Apparently, it's something to do with boundaries like the others said, but it seems to be something that Reimu's doing instinctively / subconsciously

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2011, 01:10:22 PM »
Yuuka and Yuugi pretty much hurt the same, cos you're gonna die both way.
However, I'd like to say about Yuuka's power:

First of all, we all know that she has a vast magical power (enough to shoot Dual Spark like nobody's business) and a great physical strength (http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Perfect_Memento:_Yuuka_Kazami). So, how much is her powers?

Physic: kinda vague, since she's not in the fighting games. However, let's assume it's hard enough to scare low to middle level youkai. However, with her vast magic and experience for living long, it's possible for her to acquired a skill called "Magic Enhancing" which's similar to Byakuren. If it's true, Yuuka's raw hits can be compared to Yuugi's or Suika's.

Magic: she shoots strong bullets and the famous Master Spark, said to be several stronger than Marisa, way too strong that ZUN didn't let her use it in PoFV. Now let's talk about " Manipulating flowers". First of all, Yuuka doesn't use magic to create flowers, she makes them grow and evolve naturally. Its arguable that those flowers need seeds or not. If they don't, they Yuuka can make them grow anywhere. And that's where the overpowered ability comes in. There are very dangerous flowers in the world, like Lily-of-the-valley, Foxglove with their poison. We know that every creature in the universe has the outside like skin, shell, scales to protect their vulnerable organs. No matter how strong the creature is, if you can damage their heart, lungs, stomach they'll be defeated, even Dragon or Godzilla. So, what if Yuuka grow a bunch of rose inside you? You see the picture, yeah? The thorns will make every youkai in Gensokyo suffer in great pain, the flowers can also set their roots on the organ and leech any kind of nutrient source of your body. I must say it's kinda Yuuka's style to torture the enemy with the thorns, then like the roses bloom out of their mount as they die. Guaranteed death, cos the only way to save yourself is to dismantle the flowers inside, which requires something to open your body inside out. That also leads to another death. At this point, even Yukari can't face the fatality, since the roots stuck on her organs, gapping all the flowers away can remove them but will take a lot of time/mana and the damage is already be done.
The scary thing is, since it's "natural", killing Yuuka won't help. And it's just one way to use her power. Again with the thorns, Yuuka can warp them all her body to make an armor, she can also enhance them with her magic, nobody would hit that, right? (cos you all read JoJo)

However, flowers are beautiful, and Yuuka seems to be far older to use them to kill enemy unless she has to. Let's hope the ex-youkai-moe will just peacefully pass her days making Gensokyo more beautiful.

Ha ha did you get it? I said "ex" because there is Koga- MY HEART AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2011, 02:11:59 PM »
壱, 弐, 參, 四, 伍

When do Japanese people use these Kanji?
How are they different from the usual 一, 二, 三, 四, 五?
Signature

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2011, 02:14:57 PM »
Kaguya said: "If you don't find it, google it. If you don't get it, wiki it."
OBEY THE PRINCESS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_numerals#Formal_numbers

Conqueror

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »

^^

Reimu can fly out of existence, essentially. Even in IN she teleports across the screen and creates boundaries herself. I suppose it's an innate Hakurei ability that she picked up as her powers as a shrine maiden developed, and it was probably influenced by Yukari.
Could you elaborate a little more on this (Reimu's powers, esp. flight)? The wiki doesn't really have much to say on the matter.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2011, 03:00:31 PM »
Makai isn't Hell.
About Reimu's teleport, just see it as she can go to parallel worlds. She seems to have an inferior version of Yukari's gap.

Conqueror

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
Alright, so Makai is just a demon's realm then? Stupid translations.

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2011, 03:12:56 PM »
Hell is Jigoku (lit. Underground Prison).
Makai is Demon Realm. "魔" in "ma" can be ghost, demon, devil where "kai" is "world" (as in "Sekai").

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2011, 03:17:14 PM »
^^
Could you elaborate a little more on this (Reimu's powers, esp. flight)? The wiki doesn't really have much to say on the matter.

Chireiden is the palace in old Hell, constructed after Hell got moved to somewhere else. It got too small to house all the sinful souls, so the enma searched a new, bigger place to deliver cruel punishment. Old Hell is now only used to burn stray corpses, creating evil spirits (since you need to have a proper burial/cremation/other send-off ceremony to properly pass on to the afterlife, otherwise you'll be stuck on this plain until you're exorcised. If a youkai does any funny business with your corpse before it has been officially sent off you'll turn into an evil spirit). The corpses are used to keep Old Hell's fires burning for whatever reason. Maybe the Underground becomes unbearably cold if the fires die down?

Makai isn't connected to Hell at all. It is only the birth world of all demons. Makai isn't used to punish evil souls. Shinki just created beings in her own image, who ended being recruited by Hell and making human's lives miserable, though familiars actually help people. It's basically Demons R' Us.

Reimu's power is indeed the power of flight, something which doesn't seem that amazing considering everyone can fly. However, this being Touhou Project, every ability has a very loose description and loop hole abuse is prominent, allowing many applications of that ability (like Fortevn gave a good example of). Reimu can use her ability to 'fly' out of 'reality'. She then ends up in a realm between dimensions, making her invulnerable to attack, since she isn't 'there'. You can't hit something that isn't there. She's essentially a ghost in this form, completely incorporeal in this reality. For her teleportion she flies of of reality and re-enters it somewhere else. The Hakurei bloodline has loads of border and reality related powers like Yukari. Reimu is starting to get the hang of these powers.

FFFF ninja'd.

Forte Blackadder

• 雲龍九現
  • Thi?n Giả L?ng Y?u
    • FaceBook
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2011, 03:28:57 PM »
The Underworld of Chireiden is more like a Flame Hell (part of Hell). Because it's called Hell of Blazing Fires and have Okuu to "power" it, I assume it's where they have the "boiling oil fry-pan". The reason it's moved can be theoretically said as the fire isn't hot enough anymore. It also explain why Kanako gave Okuu the nuclear power (as a goddess, it's not possible for her to randomly give destructive weapon to an idiot) 

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2011, 10:50:54 AM »
I think Utsuho talking like a robot is just an act she puts on when she's working.  In Sanae's scenario after beating Utsuho, Utsuho talks like a normal person for a bit until she decides to get back to work (after which she starts talking like a robot, again)

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »
There's something that's been bugging me for a while, and I sure hope this is the right place to ask. (newb, lol)  :V

Anyway, We all know that Reimu apparently has no living relatives, right? Well, in CoLA, Marisa picks up the 'parent' role when she picks up beating up Tokiko for Reimu. When Tokiko retorts that she couldn't possibly be Reimu's parent, Marisa states that she was abandoned. Reimu didn't seem to react to this in any way, which makes me wonder if she was just hiding her feelings. But since that isn't very Reimu, I wonder how much truth there is in Marisa's statement.
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »
truth
Marisa
There's your answer. :V (Most likely)

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2011, 11:29:24 PM »
Hai I just have a really quick question~

In Touhou Rekkaden, can you play multiplayer? If so how?
TEELLLL MEEEEEE.....
:getdown:

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »
There's something that's been bugging me for a while, and I sure hope this is the right place to ask. (newb, lol)  :V

Anyway, We all know that Reimu apparently has no living relatives, right? Well, in CoLA, Marisa picks up the 'parent' role when she picks up beating up Tokiko for Reimu. When Tokiko retorts that she couldn't possibly be Reimu's parent, Marisa states that she was abandoned. Reimu didn't seem to react to this in any way, which makes me wonder if she was just hiding her feelings. But since that isn't very Reimu, I wonder how much truth there is in Marisa's statement.

Reimu's immediate family has never once been mentioned, nor alluded to.  A Hakurei clan definitely did exist as some point, although whether Reimu is all that remains of the clan is a sensitive issue.  For now, it seems that the only Hakurei in Gensokyo is Reimu.  The only reason Marisa did or said anything was on a whim.  She's a pathological liar, so it's best to take anything she says with a grain of salt. 

For now, the best guess is that Reimu is probably an orphan.  If we assume that she's never known her biological parents from the very start, it's not entirely odd that she wouldn't react much to their mention. 

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »
There's your answer. :V (Most likely)

*facepalm* Of course.  :V

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2011, 01:11:03 PM »
Blah Blah pathological liar blah blah orphan

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Though it does make you wonder, if there were Hakureis aside from Reimu, where are they now?

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Though it does make you wonder, if there were Hakureis aside from Reimu, where are they now?

Hard to say, isn't it?  We know absolutely nothing about the Hakurei clan to begin with, after all.  We don't even know whether they're alive or not.  Maybe the clan just up an abandoned the shrine, leaving an infant Reimu alone to take care of herself.  Maybe there was a massive incident and they all died out save for one.  Maybe the clan was wiped out ages ago and Reimu spontaneously sprouted into existence one day.  Maybe she's a Cabbage Patch Kid.  Seriously, the sky's the limit here.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2011, 06:45:42 PM »
Maybe she's a Cabbage Patch Kid. 
Further evidence of Cactus Koishi!

Drake

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »
The rest of the clan are assumed to be dead, acknowledging how SoEW was written.

It's also possible Reimu is the only descendant that is in Gensokyo rather than the outside, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. I just assume they're dead.