Author Topic: So...Am I an "otaku" or a "weeaboo"?  (Read 33705 times)

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
Re: So...Am I an "otaku" or a "weeaboo"?
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2011, 08:37:20 AM »

An otaku on the other hand, is a person who's reaaaaally obsessed with something. Doesn't necessarily have to be bad. I mean, I know an otaku who's extremely obsessed with trains, but he's a pretty cool guy.

Also, "Japanese Culture Enthusiast" seems like a decent term to describe people.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2011, 08:46:45 AM »
The chart that Watermelonz posted, yeah, that.

Look at it.

It says what I couldn't say.

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2011, 08:53:46 AM »
Well, I was already pretty sure Weeaboo was designed to be offensive in every way possible so... Was considering the possibility of being labelled an otaku moreso than a weeaboo.  Though a couple years back I asked about my brother, people (on here) said he's a weeaboo. Thing is he isn't obsessed with Japanese stuff so much as Asian stuff. Asian girls are better, every asian restaurant is interesting, every asian electronic is better, etc.

Regardless of how offensive otaku is from one definition or another, I still think I should keep it in mind when I'm trying to convince people stuff about Doujin games or Touhou...People who are mainstream with the things in question I mean. Not because I care from a feeling point of view on how they view me, but because I want to know my audience and their opinions about me better before I attemt to convince them something.

It seems people don't know I don't really give a flying hoot how I think people think of me. Honestly, people in general are so wrong about how I am it's not funny. and no I don't mean that in a "I'm so different and special I'm all alone" emo kinda way. But just that I suck at communication and body language and..well, I just fail at getting my point across kinda way =P

Eduardo McNash

• Ordinary Human Soldier
  • Ordinary Human Soldier
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2011, 09:19:06 AM »
I think there is no problem with a person having a hobbie as long as he can deal well with society.
"Let the Touhou Legions march from the Gensokyo dimension!"
"Touhou music, keeping the faith in mankind since 1996".

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2011, 11:28:49 AM »
Huh. Coincidentally, I just talked to Trance about my confusion to whether I can be considered weeaboo due to my random mention of Japanese expressions sometimes.

Just want to say that reading this topic has cleared up much of my confusion about this. Thanks a million~, and for Ghaleon for bringing up this topic. =w=

みんな喜べ!(Everyone, rejoice!) ...oh wait  :ohdear:
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2011, 01:02:21 PM »
Just parroting what people already said, but...

An otaku has an obsessive interest in something, usually to the point where it interferes with the ability to live a "normal" life. The English use is a little different from the Japanese use though...see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku#In_English
A weeaboo is just an extreme Japanophile, where the cut-off for extreme depends on the person.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:28:49 PM by conquer987 »

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2011, 03:58:13 PM »
Weeaboo was just a wordfilter for japanophile that caught on. <_<

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2011, 04:14:06 PM »
If we waste anymore time on "weeaboo," we'll be bankrupt by the end of the month!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
If we waste anymore time on "weeaboo," we'll be bankrupt by the end of the month!

DId somebody say "weeaboo"? Because I think I heard someone say "weeaboo".

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »
WEEABOO! WEEABOO!

*ahem*

I love the term weeaboo. If I had some kind of list of favorite coined terms, it'd be up there for sure. I also love throwing it around to tease friends who have anything more than a passing interest in anything remotely Japanese. :V

Otaku is a term with many shades of meaning depending on who says it and what context they say it in. For my personal usage, I typically reserve it for weeaboos who are particularly obnoxious or insane. A friend of mine use a corruption of the term: "O-tak", whenever in a situation where the person in question is likely to overhear and know what it is we are talking about. :x
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
im a weeaboo? no, i like too mush japanese culture, but happen me the same with other countries who i like (Asian culture in general,England,my own country, etc) and i have concience who Japan is good for visit but difficult to live in there. in other side, i am "otaku" because im fan of The Beatles and 60?s things since very young, fan of Final Fantasy 9 since the day who played that, a anime-manga fan since Sailor Moon (or was Doraemon? or Maya the Bee? i was very fan of them with only 6 years old n_n) a fujoshi since Evangelion, OST fan, and Touhou fan since 2006.

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

C27

• Byronic Commando
  • Tactical danmaku operator
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2011, 06:04:45 PM »
I consider myself to be "just a guy". Sure, I like Touhou, but I like a bunch of other stuff too... even some things that aren't typically geeky at all. I don't think heavy metal or target shooting or exoplanet astronomy qualify as weeaboo interests.
However, I do tend to be a little bit of a shut-in due to struggling with avoidant personality disorder.  :ohdear:  I'm not creepy about it or anything, I just don't like to be around people all the time - every now and then it's fun and refreshing though, even if I have to force myself to participate I know I'll end up enjoying it.

That said, I can't stand stereotypical weeaboos at all. Maybe part of it is that they tend to be in the under-18 crowd and it's a natural reaction to all them dad-gum whippersnappers destroying society. Why, when I was that age*, DVDs were still new and exotic, and I had to walk twenty miles in the snow just to get a couple episodes of Noir or Haibane Renmei!

*The math here doesn't quite work out, but eh bollocks
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:48:31 PM by C27 »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2011, 06:34:56 PM »
It's not as much weeaboo/otakus/japanophiles/whatever the fucks (because I will fully admit I was at one point and still am to a degree) that bother me as much as people who think otakuism is something to strive for, whether through misguided romanticism or a plain "fuck society imma NEET it up" outlook.  Otakuism refers to obsessions that go beyond healthy, to the point it affects other aspects of your life in negative ways.

Having hobbies and interests are great and all, but there needs to be balance in your life.  What could potentially be a very healthy outlet can become a soul destroying obsession if you choose to get sucked into it and neglect other aspects of your life.  To me otakuism represents the extreme, an obsession that twists people to serve their obsession rather than let it be an outlet for their creativity or other interests.

I'm not saying you have to go out and pick up a sports team or weightlifting or other "socially acceptable" interests, but having something more than just a single narrow focus define your being is fundamental to a healthy, happy life.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »
Fuck yeah Touhou otaku

also known as Toutaku

yeah I went there

toehoes

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2011, 01:14:28 AM »
You guys should stop worrying. I think the term weaboo only came about because people started being really fucking obnoxious about their Japanese interests. If you're not obnoxious and annoying, then you'll probably be fine, just as long as you don't give a damn how others see you.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2011, 09:42:29 AM »
The only thing I can think of when I see Suikama's posted images is, "Damn. Put some clothes on your woman. She's practically indecent."

Fan: strong dedication and more than passing knowledge on the subject.
Otaku: Dedication and keeping current with new stuff to the point where other positive aspects of life are in decline.

The choice of label may depend on how much of a decline is perceived.