Author Topic: So...Am I an "otaku" or a "weeaboo"?  (Read 33699 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: So...Am I an "otaku" or a "weeaboo"?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 01:07:55 AM »
Are you suggesting he should be bogarting that milkshake? You a dick.

She can't even drink it. He's just taunting her like, "Whatsa matter? Don't you want the milkshake? Oh, that's right - you're a pillow, you can't drink it. Too bad, it's pretty good. M-mm." And I'm the dick?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 01:17:21 AM »
If you call yourself an otaku and you're proud of it you're a weeaboo BV

You know that actually might be pretty accurate lol.

In case it wasn't obvious I don't really consider myself either since I'm not into anime but what I mean is I wonder if I can talk to a friend and say "oh you should try this Japanese ____" Without automatically being ignored if they think I'm a weeaboo or something. If it was extreme they'd tell me of course but..Well, you see I'm trying to get my friends hooked on Touhou >=P. And so far I've failed with each and every attempt. I don't harass the same person either. It makes me wonder if trying to show them a doujin song I think they might like or game is being sullied by the possible image  that I'm an otaku to them or whatever.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 01:21:53 AM »
They're labels that depict an extreme and obsessive addiction to something...that's kinda pointless...

In the end, you kinda define yourself, don't you?

Also doesn't this go in RMEA?

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

Tengukami

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 01:25:28 AM »
In case it wasn't obvious I don't really consider myself either since I'm not into anime but what I mean is I wonder if I can talk to a friend and say "oh you should try this Japanese ____" Without automatically being ignored if they think I'm a weeaboo or something. If it was extreme they'd tell me of course but..Well, you see I'm trying to get my friends hooked on Touhou >=P. And so far I've failed with each and every attempt. I don't harass the same person either. It makes me wonder if trying to show them a doujin song I think they might like or game is being sullied by the possible image  that I'm an otaku to them or whatever.

Otaku and weeaboo are not interchangeable words, but that's beside the point. I don't really think there's a trick to getting people to like Touhou, nor do I think you should be overly concerned with whether or not they'll think you're a weeaboo or an otaku. I really wouldn't sweat it.

Case in point: a friend of mine recently found my YouTube channel. I was chatting with her at the time. At first I panicked, but as she clicked around, she thought some stuff was funny, other stuff interesting, and other stuff whatever. We had a laugh about it. This is mostly because I didn't have a panic attack nor did I launch into Full Geek Mode.

Just be yourself and don't be too bothered by what your friends might think about you. I hate to break out this tired clich?, but if they're really your friends, they won't run screaming for the hills just because you play a shmup.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

JT

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 01:27:45 AM »
I agree with Matsuri and TSO.

Why would you really care about your label? Both of them suck:

Otaku: Smelly social shutin with those unusual love pillows. In the Western world, annoying smelly teenagers that are like OMG lol so randum XDDDDDDDDDD!!

Weeabo(o?): Seems to mostly be a Western thing. Some pale-as-a-ghost social shutin that worships GLORIOUS NIPPON DESU.

I imagine that neither of them are all that close to the truth regardless of what a person declares themselves to be.

Weeaboo is indeed an entirely Western thing. I believe the Japanese counterpart is "twinkie."

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm pretty sure most people would just be like "OK cool, I'll try it" and not really care whether it's Japanese or not. The only ones who seem to give a shit are angry nerds.

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 01:37:28 AM »
Weeaboo is indeed an entirely Western thing. I believe the Japanese counterpart is "twinkie."

Whoa what. I've never heard this before. It's like a Western Japanophile, but reversed? :/

JT

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 01:45:12 AM »
Whoa what. I've never heard this before. It's like a Western Japanophile, but reversed? :/

You know, yellow on the outside, white on the inside. A twinkie. In English, it's slang for an Asian who doesn't match up with Asian stereotypes, i.e., he's bad at math. I heard from a friend who studied abroad in Japan that over there they use it for people who try to act like foreigners, but I think he might have just been yanking my chain.

MayKissingDoveWyks

• I can't stop being a perv!
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 01:46:41 AM »
You know, yellow on the outside, white on the inside. A twinkie. In English, it's slang for an Asian who doesn't match up with Asian stereotypes, i.e., he's bad at math.

Wow... then I meet many twinkies every day.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 01:56:51 AM »
You know, yellow on the outside, white on the inside. A twinkie. In English, it's slang for an Asian who doesn't match up with Asian stereotypes, i.e., he's bad at math. I heard from a friend who studied abroad in Japan that over there they use it for people who try to act like foreigners, but I think he might have just been yanking my chain.
We call those bananas over here... I never heard Twinkie before =X

MayKissingDoveWyks

• I can't stop being a perv!
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 02:02:47 AM »
We call those bananas over here... I never heard Twinkie before =X

You know... The thick bread layer that drools out cream from the center...

They taste great.

Well... it's a type of pastry also...
/offtopic

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 02:06:59 AM »
She can't even drink it. He's just taunting her like, "Whatsa matter? Don't you want the milkshake? Oh, that's right - you're a pillow, you can't drink it. Too bad, it's pretty good. M-mm." And I'm the dick?

have i ever told you that i love you, Tony tengu?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 02:44:24 AM »

It's only polite to make the offer! What if she could drink it? God, you're so self centered, jerk.

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 02:48:58 AM »

"Hey guys can you keep it down? I'm trying to enjoy a meal with my wife here."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2011, 02:55:16 AM »
An otaku is not something to be proud of being.  It is not an analog to geek, it literally means unable to leave house.  It's one thing to be into something (geek/nerd), it's a totally different thing to be an otaku of something.  It means you're so obsessed it affects your health or social life.

Which is why I am baffled why the western visual arts culture took it as a term of endearment.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:21:23 AM by ♪ Trans-Siberian Orchestra ♫ »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Drake

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 02:56:13 AM »
holy shit is that four bowls of sesame pork

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2011, 03:00:10 AM »
It is clearly four bowls of Frosted Flakes.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 03:02:16 AM »
Which is why I am baffled why the western visual arts culture took it as a term of endearment.

B/c things from Japane are cool, but yeah never call me that word.

Shit made me hungry.

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 03:05:01 AM »

"Making love all day sure works up an appetite."

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 03:07:58 AM »
I refer to myself as "a fan of enjoyable shit. if you don't like it, deal with it or fuck off."

i'm so cool

"Making love all day sure works up an appetite."

how the hell does a pillow eat anyways

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 03:09:18 AM »
how the hell does a pillow eat anyways
Spoiler:
It doesn't.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2011, 03:24:03 AM »
I saw some kind of series of videos, with Zun interviews included, describing what Touhou is or whatever. During one segment 3 successful businessmen meet up and talk about Touhou to each other. I'm *PRETTY* sure that the newscaster (or at least the translator?) referred to them as otaku's despite their obviously successful social/business life.

I think Otaku is simply a word that has a literal meaning which is negative. And a related but different one. For example, some of us might say with a certain amount of affection "Touhou fag".. the thing is "fag" itself is a word absolutely oozing with negativity, and it's clearly the intention of the term to refer to THAT meaning, not a cigar or whatever.

Maybe the word otaku is the same, I don't know.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2011, 03:30:16 AM »
Sup touhoufags

/banned

I don't agree that the word Otaku is completely negative-----> even in Japan...

I mean, I was called otaku in Japan, but there was absolutely nothing negative intended... You could argue that I don't know the language well and because of that I missed something, but I'm pretty confident.. =/

Drake

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 04:37:47 AM »
Or the more likely reasoning that most japanese people don't know exactly what they mean by it either, just as much as there are slews of people who cannot comprehend "moe".

Tengukami

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2011, 04:38:49 AM »
Moe is easy to comprehend; it's Lenny and Carl I don't get.

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2011, 05:05:22 AM »

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2011, 05:11:19 AM »
What we have here is a photo of a weeaboo, and a photo of a sad, lonely man giving his pillow a milkshake.

Moe is easy to comprehend; it's Lenny and Carl I don't get.

You're the best person ever.

Annnd... I'm going to agree with everyone who said 'fuck labels'.

JT

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2011, 05:32:09 AM »
English will beat your language in the head with a board, and steal its words in broad daylight.

It's uber like that.

Drake

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2011, 08:11:52 AM »
Moe (Danbooru)

Now that that's out of my system, I agree with everyone else. Don't worry about how other people label you; nothing good comes of it, trust me on that. If you want to share Touhou, or anything else, with your friends then share it. If they don't seem to care, it may be they don't like shmups, or just aren't interested in the doujin scene, or whatever. I have a friend who I tried to get into Touhou; he likes the music but I've never gotten him to care about the games themselves; shmups just aren't his cup of tea. Doesn't necessarily mean they consider you a weaboo or anything.

I agree that otaku is not an objectively negative term. It strikes me as one of those words whose meaning changes with context. It depends on the object of dedication, how one uses their knowledge of the subject, and other factors. I put on on par with "fanatic" myself.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)