Author Topic: So...Am I an "otaku" or a "weeaboo"?  (Read 33711 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
So...Am I an "otaku" or a "weeaboo"?
« on: January 23, 2011, 09:50:03 AM »
I doubt I'm a weeaboo, but I'm wondering if I'm an otaku...Referring to the English slang moreso than the Japanese meaning.

Anyway, if you don't know, I don't watch anime (I've watched a couple, I did enjoy them, but I wont make a habit of watching many despite this since I enjoy videogames more), don't read manga (read silent sinner in blue, thought it was pretty lame to be honest. I love Zun don't get me wrong, but SSiB doesn't have anything over George RR Martin or whatever). But I'm addicted to Doujin games and Touhou now... I talk about them every day, think about them every day. Want more every day. Dream about them in my sleep... It's not just Touhou, but the whole Doujin game scene is so much more than indie gaming IMO. Oh, and I listen to Touhou remix music ALL THE TIME now, screw normal music. Doujin music may be good. Other than SSH's "lost Child" albums (and anything else he makes really), it's all Touhou music.

Anyway that's my otakuness in a nutshell, does that qualify?

Also, I'm just curious, as much as I know that someone who watches bleach and naruto is horrible to most of your opinions (not me, don't kill me, I've never even given them a shot, so I might think they are the best thing ever, but I've simply no interest in trying yet since I know their target audience is young boys. if I am inclined to trying a new anime, I'll try josei (IIRC the correct term), or Seinen....Big sentence.. Anyway, people who watch those shows (or whatever else is super mainstream among anime/manga/whatever) and basically nothing else, are they otaku/weeaboo?

Don't ask why I'm asking/care, I forgot, but I know I had a legitimate reason for wondering the other day and it just dawned on me to ask now.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
Re: So...Am I an "otaku" or a "weeaboo"?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:01:47 AM »
Can't believe I'm saying this, but check the article on encyclopedia dramatica. If you don't fit most of the criteria, (especially spouting memes or random japanese) then you are not a weaboo.

An Otaku is also an extreme term (debateable). More dignified than a weaboo, but these can sometimes be obsessive with their hobbies. They're usually smart, though.

I consider myself an otaku, but a moderate one... I don't go to restaurants while holding dakimakuras from both hands...

Edit: Actually, don't bother reading through that junk. Define YOURSELF. Don't let others do it for you.

Have you considered just calling yourself a fan instead?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:26:00 AM by NuclearVirus❖ »

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 10:24:30 AM »
I did as you suggested... ED's definition of Otaku is far more extreme than I've defined for myself (is my definition that wrong?). I definined otaku based on the numerous people who say with a certain (even if slight) amount of pride how much they enjoy their Japanese entertainment hobbies... The ED definition makes them sound like oppai-mousepad fuck-pillow marrying freaks....I don't think this article is anything but a jab at them by the kind of guy who honestly thinks Touhou is for Pedophiles (and hence, a fucktard).

After seeing that, weeaboo?...no thanks.

But clearly the most significant reason why you don't think I'm an otaku is because you think I don't qualify in the intelligence department...I'm kidding, I mean I'm kidding that you're saying I'm dumb...Don't correct me if you do think I am. Am I serious!? Should you feel guilty? bwaha*sniff*hahaha!

Anyway.... My honest definition of what I THINK an otaku is... Is someone who is influenced by Japanese pop-culture or recreation (pretty close really) enough to want to learn their language and/or make Japan their next vacation and/or Marry a Japanese significant other and/or you get the picture.

I qualify in spades in the fact that my career goals have changed to wanting to translate Japanese games...Which is kinda sad since the market/pay norms as far as I'm aware is much worse than what I've already spent all my money/time on for education...WTF didn't I discover Touhou first, fuck (not that I hate what I've made my first career goal...I still enjoy it).

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:36:20 AM »
I skimmed through that, so sorry if I get some bad points:

Goddammit man, get your priorities straight. Set some realistic goals for yourself. A weaboo also tends to be delusional. And sorry, it was wrong of me to direct you to ed. The site is as pointless and dumb as ever.

Japanese is incredibly difficult. Love for Anime alone won't cut it nor will it get you any respect.

I still think I'm a good example of an Otaku. I run a site lol

Go there and search for my opinion on what qualifies as a good student of Japanese.
http://tsundereworks.com/2009/06/23/introductory-japanese-1/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:41:36 AM by NuclearVirus❖ »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 10:42:44 AM »
I said I don't watch anime. love for anime alone? no.
Respect for it? I'm sorry but I'm not sure where you got the impression I want respect for it.
If anything, I'm ashamed to associate with you anime/manga folk. Not that I think you guys are shameful. But...well, that's another story.

Realistic goals?...yeahh....that's a real sore subject for me. Please don't mention it. I've set realistic goals, spent years and tens of thousands of dollars on education, got great grades, all that shit. and I've got nothing to show for it. They were Videogame related though (not a designer though, lol at those people, they have it even worse), so I don't think hoping to translate or localize Japanese games is really unrealistic based on my current education of programming.

Given how most mainstream AND doujin games are Japanese to begin with, I don't think it's really a stupid career goal if for any reason other than market demand, which I've already learned the hard way not to really count on as a great job-finder anyway.

edit: Sorry if I sound snarky there. I kinda found that offensive. Not because I didn't like your opinion, but because it wasn't me, and it assumed it was someone who I know I wasn't that I kinda arrogantly look down on (cuz most people in my position that I've known are in that catagory). I still appreciate input though >=)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:45:45 AM by Ghaleon »

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:49:11 AM »
Weeaboo? Otaku? Just more words for NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But yeah go on with your topic don't mine me.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 10:54:23 AM »
It's easy to get labeled. Exactly how I was wrong in describing you just now others can do the same. I still think it's a risky career choice, though.

Many are concerned with the anime industry dying and stuff like that...

I'll continue this tomorrow. I'm very tired and I don't want to mess up again like I did twice already.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 10:54:31 AM »
NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's kinda what I feel Otaku is like..
when I was a kid though being called a Nerd was more offensive than...Well...Pretty much anything verbal is now.

I still can't believe people actually said insults like "4-eyes!" like they were expecting their enemy to reel in pain moreso than people nowdays expect a punch in the face to accomplish.

It's easy to get labeled. Exactly how I was wrong in describing you just now others can do the same. I still think it's a risky career choice, though.

Many are concerned with the anime industry dying and stuff like that...

I'll continue this tomorrow. I'm very tired and I don't want to mess up again like I did twice already.

G'night.. I still like replies though so don't sweat it.

Anyway, I can respect you thinking it's a risky career choice. I just mean career options in general is really something people probably wont understand from my PoV though. Not that I'm saying my decision is best. It's just that no career choice is good for me atm. I'm pretty satisfied with minimum wage despite how much I spent on education. I'm easy to please. So I might as well go for what I want while I do what I need to you know?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:58:01 AM by Ghaleon »

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 10:57:11 AM »
I'd say you seem more like just a Touhou addict rather than an otaku or weeaboo.
Of course, my opinions and thoughts are usually horribly wrong, so oh well.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 11:13:15 AM »
I'd say you seem more like just a Touhou addict rather than an otaku or weeaboo.
Of course, my opinions and thoughts are usually horribly wrong, so oh well.

Yeah, I don't expect you all to have a degree in knowing me so =p. Guess it's kinda dumb to ask for opinions about me when I know how insignificant I am socially Eh? Derp.

Anyway I don't know if I'm a touhou addict really. I love tohou, but inhate good experiences with other doujin games like crimson clover, suguri, eXceed, raccetear, etc. It's just that most of the translated doujin stuff is touhou, as is the music.

I don't know if doujin games+music obsession counts as otakuness. Or if I really have to be into anime or manga.

Posting on my phone btw, please forgive silly typos.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 11:26:05 AM »
As I understand it, an otaku is a geek for a particular thing, whereas a weeaboo is a Japanophile. That should clear things up for you.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »
As I understand it, an otaku is a geek for a particular thing
I always (read:started with it a year ago) defined nerd/geek as someone who spends a considerable amount of time and/or effort in a certain (non-vital) thing and not necessarily games or stuff like that.

But then I dunno if this adds anything to this so I'll just be over there :V
My first attempt at storywriting, looking for critique

Avatar schizophrenia? I don't know what you're talking about.

Matsuri

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 02:27:40 PM »
Mrf. Why the hell would you actively seek to label yourself? You're you, so just be you. :/

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
I guess I would be an otaku/nerd because I own 30 D&D/Warhammer rulebooks and 100+ fantasy novels.

Let's not get started with my miniatures now.   :V

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 04:55:39 PM »
Mr S: Why the hell would you actively seek to label yourself? You're you, so just be you. :/

Listen to this wise slime.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 05:01:22 PM »
WTF did you guys get the impression that I was actively seeking to label myself such. I was just curious if that's people think me as. I mean when a girl asks "am I fat"... It's not because she wants to be.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 05:02:44 PM »
WTF did you guys get the impression that I was actively seeking to label myself such. I was just curious if that's people think me as. I mean when a girl asks "am I fat"... It's not because she wants to be.
...you're fat?

* Iryan is given a biscuit*

[purvis]Fixt
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:03:28 PM by It's Knot Purvis! »
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »
See title and consider the 1st thing that comes to mind for someone who glances at it.

Anyway, the "question" at hand has already been answered so I'll just say that it really shouldn't matter what you are. I never considered myself an Otaku or a weeaboo, just someone who likes doing what he does and nothing more.

Spoiler:
Course of a girl's fat, I'll accept her anyway. Fat chicks need love too~
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

JT

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 08:03:10 PM »
Spoiler:
Course of a girl's fat, I'll accept her anyway. Fat chicks need love too~

No they don't. Fat people have no souls.

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 08:09:17 PM »
No they don't. Fat people have no souls.
If they lose their fat, they will be granted a soul.

Drake

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 08:25:47 PM »
Usually in both cases the person will say something so unbelievably dense that you can label them as such. Aside from that there are more longer-term giveaways, but whatever.

The point is that even if you don't "technically qualify" as something as vague as otaku or weeaboo it doesn't stop people from calling you that. "Knowing" that you aren't doesn't help at all, because people will all have their own set of factors that make them label a person/group as otaku or weeaboo or whatever else.

Most of the world would call everyone in this forum a weeaboo or otaku given they "knew" what it meant. If we measured ourselves I doubt we'd have more than half. It's that kind of game.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

MayKissingDoveWyks

• I can't stop being a perv!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »
I don't label people, nor do I label myself...

Thus I am a human being.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 12:28:10 AM »
If you call yourself an otaku and you're proud of it you're a weeaboo BV

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 12:32:18 AM »

Thus I am a human being.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 12:34:42 AM »

Thus I am a human being.

stfu hippy

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 12:39:15 AM »
I agree with Matsuri and TSO.

Why would you really care about your label? Both of them suck:

Otaku: Smelly social shutin with those unusual love pillows. In the Western world, annoying smelly teenagers that are like OMG lol so randum XDDDDDDDDDD!!

Weeabo(o?): Seems to mostly be a Western thing. Some pale-as-a-ghost social shutin that worships GLORIOUS NIPPON DESU.

I imagine that neither of them are all that close to the truth regardless of what a person declares themselves to be.

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 12:53:28 AM »
vs

Matsuri

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 12:55:02 AM »

Why does that guy have two Matsuri desktops

I am slightly disturbed

I did not realize my namesake had much of a fanbase :ohdear:

Tengukami

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 12:59:17 AM »
vs

I don't even get what the comparison is here.

An otaku is just someone who is hardcore into a particular thing; e.g., train otaku, airsoft otaku, etc. A geek, in other words.

A weeaboo is a Japanophile who is not Japanese.

Some weeaboos are also otaku, but not necessarily. Some otaku are weeaboos, but not necessarily.

What we have here is a photo of a weeaboo, and a photo of a sad, lonely man giving his pillow a milkshake.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 01:02:28 AM »
a photo of a sad, lonely man giving his pillow a milkshake.

Are you suggesting he should be bogarting that milkshake? You a dick.