Author Topic: First Kind of Touhou Song You Listened To  (Read 8291 times)

First Kind of Touhou Song You Listened To
« on: January 23, 2011, 04:18:18 AM »
Someone suggested in "You Know You're Addicted to Touhou When" that this needs its own thread. I guess since I brought it up there, I should do it. Anyway, if you remember what kind of Touhou music you listened to first and the song, then put it here! This is how it works:

Original: by ZUN (obviously)
Remix: by anyone else (and by remix, I mean instrumental)
Vocal: by anyone else

Of course, if you don't remember what your first one was in a certain category, then you don't have to put it down!
I'm sure you know what mine are already, but I'll put my quote for the heck of it:
Mine are:
Original: U.N. Owen was Her?
Remix: Diao Ye Zong (Withered Leaf) by dBu
Vocal: No Life Queen
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:22:18 AM by Teruyo »

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
Re: First Kind of Touhou Song You Listened To
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:27:50 AM »
I'm pretty sure it was Marisa Stole the Precious Thing :/
I mean, while conscious that it was Touhou.

Because I saw McRoll way before understanding that it might have been based off an actual song.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 07:43:51 AM »
I can't remember if I listened to Witching Dream or Selene's Light as my first original song.  All I know is that it was LLS Stage 1.

As far as first instrumental arranges go, it was probably Night of Nights.  I have no clue about vocal arranges though.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:06:23 AM »
Original: Mokou's theme from that one youtube Extra Stage clear. What first got me into Touhou.
Instrumental Remix: Either this remix of Septette for the Dead Princess or this remix of UN Owen.
Vocal: Probably Bad Apple...

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:12:27 AM »
Original: Starting menu of EoSD.
Instrumental Remix: I don't remember, something from Iron Attack! I'm a metal head, and when I saw the name of that circle, I figured it must be metal. I was impressed, but in retrospect after hearing more, I merely think most of that stuff is only ok.
Vocal: I don't like vocals, English, Japanese, I don't care. The human voice when singing sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me (yes I have no friends. yes I'm exaggerating, but yeah.. I'm pretty anti-social). So I've no doubt heard many, played for 5 seconds. "UGH VOCALS" *stop*, never play again.. Did that for many many. HOWEVER, I find the vocal tracks from Sound Online's "Blaze" and "blue constellations" albums aren't shabby. I don't even really like that style of music in the first place for the most part. But, eh... Sound online is pretty good to me, and even their vocals are pretty nice sounding to me. Don't ask me which of them I've heard first, I don't remember.

edit:
this remix of Septette for the Dead Princess
Dude, seriously? the first? I shat brix when I heard that for the first time.. Quite possibly my absolute fave Touhou song/remix/both/Zunsuckscomparedtoit (sucks is exageration but really... <3<3<3<3).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:14:30 AM by Ghaleon »

Formless God

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 08:28:02 AM »
Remix: U.N. Owen Was Her ? in a completely unrelated video.
which linked me to
Original: U.N. Owen Was Her ? :V
Vocal: Maiden's Sealed Fraternity, which is also what finally got me into Japanese music.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 08:43:29 AM »
Original: Charming Domination/ Necrofantasia from a phantasm video.
Remix: Marisa Stole the Precious Thing mixed with  an unrelated song.
Vocal: I don't remember....probably CPMC though.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 09:29:25 AM »
edit:Dude, seriously? the first? I shat brix when I heard that for the first time.. Quite possibly my absolute fave Touhou song/remix/both/Zunsuckscomparedtoit (sucks is exageration but really... <3<3<3<3).

Still one of my favorite remixes as well. I thought it was ridiculously epic at the time.
Spoiler:
Just checked again, it still is.

The top comments on Youtube are also hilarious.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

draganuv15

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 10:10:11 AM »
IRON ATTACK! music... :derp:

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 10:27:21 AM »
Very first touhou music:
- Arrange "Icy Peaks" by Justus Johnston from OCRemix.
That made me search Perfect Cherry Blossom on Youtube.
Clicked the first video that looked like gameplay, which was a phantasm run, so:
- First theme from an actual game: "Charming Domination ~ Who dunnit?"
After that, I honestly can't remember. Possibly Tsurupettan, I don't know.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 11:13:08 AM »
Original: Reach for the moon ~ immortal smoke
Remix: Mc.Roll
Vocal: no idea

CrimsonDX

• Hourai Doll
  • キモちのいいけーね~~
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »
Original: Lunatic Princess, I saw one of those custom taiko drum master vids and it happened to be the ZUN version of Lunatic Princess

Remix: Lunatic Princess by Marasy, which I found as a link from the Taiko video (unfortunately it the Taiko vid no longer exists) it was in fact this dude (Marasy) who made me start actually looking up more Touhou music. From there I was introduced to such groups as Oriens and O-Life Japan. After listening to them and since at that point I started actually reading some doujin (First one that I can remember being a TeruMokou one) I finally decided to pick up and try the games. So essentially, the music is what drew me into this series :D

Vocal: My Body Wishes that you Burn to the Moon by IOSYS. For the longest time, the only Touhou music I ever heard was the occasional IOSYS song. In fact I had no idea there WHERE any other Touhou remixes. I thought IOSYS where the only ones that did it. Hell I didn't even understand the full extent of Touhou fandom when I first heard of it. All I knew was that their where a lot of pictures of it on Gelbooru and Danbooru (just like everything else). Id say it was about 4 years after I first heard an IOSYS song that I finally picked up and tried the game. I was never any good at shooters so I was a little hesitant to try it.

Some of my first musics for Touhou where TeruMokou...and a lot of my first doujin where TeruMokou...no wonder I become a major TeruMokou fan  :3

PC

• riot pls nerf trondamere
  • poultry shout too strong
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 03:32:39 PM »
It was either stumbling upon some of Marasy's Touhou Piano videos through his RED ZONE and Scorpion Fire ones, or this hardstyle remix of Bad Apple- Can't remember which one came first.

Bad Apple was the one that actually got me interested in Touhou, I went to go find the original, then saw the shadow art PV, etc.

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
Original: U.N. Owen Was Her?

Remix: Common State of Innocent Violence and Scarlet Devil, both by Crow'sClaw.

Vocal: Bad Apple!! w/ shadow art. :derp:
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »
Vocal: WAVE's choral Border of Life
Remix: Piano Border of Life (don't know the artist)

I listened to a horde of songs since then, and I'm not sure how many were vocal, instrumental, or originals. I knew pretty much nothing about Touhou so I was basically browsing these songs blind. The first original song I heard ingame was LLS's title theme.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, first original song I heard was "Bloom Nobly, Cherry blossoms of Sumizome"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 03:42:30 PM by JEV3 »

Bloom Nobly~

Marokuu

• Maru~ Maru~
  • Lurk~ Lurk~
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 06:31:14 PM »
Original: U.N Owen
Remix: That U.N Owen remix, bullet insanity or w/e
Vocal: Bad Apple!! shadow art
My first attempt at storywriting, looking for critique

Avatar schizophrenia? I don't know what you're talking about.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 06:40:41 PM »
The first Touhou song I remember was Hellfire Mantle, from watching this video. Nuclear Fusion would follow, obviously. Don't remember what my first remix and vocal songs were.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
My Body Wishes That You Burn To The Moon. Found this while Googling around for IOSYS, who for some reason I thought wrote songs related to Rozen Maiden (hung out a lot on Desuchan back then). For the longest time I was convinced that this song was Suigintou's.

Then of course, in trying to find the lyrics to the song, I stumbled upon the Touhou wiki, and well, that was that.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »
Original: Eastern Night (IN title music). Followed shortly by Ghostly Eyes which is still one of my favourite ZUN tracks.
Remix: Uh... something by dBu. Probably [insert name of Soul as Red remix]
Vocal: WAVE's Fate of 60 Years.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 07:38:43 PM »
Original: Stage 1 BGM for HRtP
Remix: Can't quite remember, I think it was 3rd Eye by =Neutral=
Vocal: Uh, VasariNa by C-Clays, I guess. Yeah, I probably spelled that wrong, but whatever...

No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Kyo Tanaka

• Don't worry Sakuya, I will (Uuu~♥) protect you...
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 08:56:51 PM »
Original: U.N. Owen Was Her?
Vocal: Bad Apple!!

Those two were the earliest I could remember.

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 12:47:30 AM »
Original: Probably U.N. Owen; I can't remember that far back.
Remix: Marisa Stole the Precious Thing, overlaid on top of a Super Mario 64 speedrun.
Vocal: see above

Matsuri

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 12:50:52 AM »
Original: Mystic Dream ~ Snow or Cherry Petal -- in other words, the PCB title music. I had played the PCB demo long before I knew what Touhou actually was, let alone before I knew that there was a massive fanbase for it. :o
Remix: Marisa Stole the Precious Thing, which was linked to me when I said I liked Touhou music, and was responded to with 'Oh, I think you mean IOSYS music.' 'What?' 'Oh, here.'
Vocal: ^

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 01:06:17 AM »
Original: Voile the Magic Library - Immaterial and Missing Power version. I heard this in a MUGEN video (yes I used to watch MUGEN videos :fail:) long before I knew what Touhou was, but I really liked the song nonetheless.

Remix/Vocal: Odenpa Love Girl, found when a clip was used in an unrelated video. It was this that sent me on my spiral into Touhou fandom.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 01:11:51 AM »
Remix: U.N. Owen Was Her ? in a completely unrelated video.

How can master LL never cease to amaze me?

Original: UN owen, pretty sure.
Remix: A certain UN owen remix that is actually used in the McRoll video
Vocal: bad apple, which is the only of the three that I actually hear for al ong time nowadays, simply because it has a major meaning to me in the lyrics

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 02:04:13 AM »
Original : A Dream that is more Scarlet than Red :U
The first that stood out to me was Beloved Tomboyish Daughter. The first I got addicted to was Girl's Secret Room.

Remix : McRoll, if that counts.
The first that stood out to me was UI-70's Border of Life jazz arrange. The first that moved me was Remind of You by t=NODE.

Vocal : Oath of Soul. I found it from the music video.

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 04:39:15 AM »
Original: maybe a tie between Kaizel's PoFV No-Focus No-Miss Extra clear and Dracil's Imperishable Night's Extra Stage replay (lol @ myself learning that graze had a beneficial effect on this series, at a time where I was starting to play shmups and then learn to try to 1cc them, thanks to Touhou's good endings and Extra Stage unlocks, and then trying to graze on PoFV, which was the first game I've played iirc -- I think that StB was out at this time, though), I tried to research about what Touhou was.. after watching.. (see the line below)
Remix: this video was my first contact with Touhou, ever :D  (I went to a fighting game tournament, someday, and there were some videos being displayed -- some of them were available for sale in cds -- then I tried to search for some of these videos and ended up finding this one by accident)
Vocal: no idea who the artist is.. ..but I've favorited this video before Marisa Stole The Precious Thing (I've browsed my favorites on my former YT account, which I stopped using due to the 500 favorites limit)

At that time, pc-98 material was scarce (fanarts and playthrough videos), but eventually found out about the PC-98 games mainly because even though I'm usually lazy, I'm curious :D
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 04:57:15 AM »
Original: The title screen music from Imperishable Night, "永夜抄 ~ Eastern Night", almost three years ago.

Remix: I was impressed by the quality of the music in Imperishable Night and later Perfect Cherry Blossom, so I set about acquiring some piano arranges. I stumbled upon a video on youtube featuring a live performance of "The Capital City of Flowers in the Sky", which soon led me to Everfades' beautiful piano album, "Reverie".

Vocal: I don't actively seek out music with vocals, so no idea. Probably something by IOSYS.

KuraiShoka

• Now son, don't touch that cactus...
  • Son, I Am Dissapoint
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 05:05:35 AM »
Original: Flowering Night (ZUN)
Heard it when it was reccomended by a friend of mine. She was and still is a Touhou Addict like me and got me to try the games/

Remix: Maiden's Capriccio ~ the Dream Duel (dBu)
Found it on Youtube as a "rock remix". Before I only listened to only Touhou music, I also listened to some Metallica (big jump in music, I know) so I thought it would help the transition. It did :3

Vocal: Cirno's Perfect Math Class (IOSYS)
I heard this before even Flowering Night. Long before Touhou I loved Vocaloid music (still do) and I saw Cirno's Perfect Math Class in the channel of a Vocaloid song subber.

Eduardo McNash

• Ordinary Human Soldier
  • Ordinary Human Soldier
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 09:27:25 AM »
The remix of UN Owen was her, although I think it was not from McDonalds but Lucky Star.
"Let the Touhou Legions march from the Gensokyo dimension!"
"Touhou music, keeping the faith in mankind since 1996".