Author Topic: Which game has the best music?  (Read 39705 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Which game has the best music?
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2009, 06:14:58 PM »
Hm, you know, after just today getting as far as Orin's final spell card, I'm going to have to say that every single song in Subterranean Animism from Stage 3 onwards is just amazing.

So add that to my original list of MoF (from Stage 3 onwards), UFO, IN and any PC-98 game.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
  • Telling a mod to basically fuck off... GOOD IDEA!
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2009, 10:25:49 PM »
Out of all of the newer Touhou games, I'd have to say my personal preferences would be:

- Imperishable Night
- Perfect Cherry Blossom
- Mountain of Faith
- Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
- Subterranean Animism
- Immaterial and Missing Power

(didn't play SWR enough to judge)

IaMP's music isn't bad per se, but it's not very active, making it much more appropriate as background music, while the other games have more memorable melodies.

My top choice is Imperishable Night simply because of how powerful the themes are. Especially History of the Moon, which is probably the most epic Touhou song yet. Imperishable Night also seems to have a lot of atmospheric effects in the music, giving it a full feeling as you play thoughout. (ironically, this is my least favorite gameplay-wise)

Second choice, and I do believe most people would pick this one as top choice, is Perfect Cherry Blossom because the melodies are incredibly memorable and is essentially the standard "flavor" of Touhou. No other games compare to the classic melodies found in PCB, that's for sure.

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2010, 06:44:38 AM »
I like the music in UFO

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2010, 09:54:55 AM »
I like the music in all the Touhou-games. Even if i hate UFO Lunatic, i can't deny that the game has awesome music.

My favorite soundtracks are MoF and PCB. UFO is great but hampered greatly by super-bland stage themes in S2, S3 and S6.

Formless God

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2010, 10:30:56 AM »
S2 and S6 are bland, but I think Sky Ruin is on par with At The End of Spring :<
I dunno ... I find Shou and Nue's stage themes to be more bland.

Lybydose

• Isn't cool enough to have a title
  • ESC -> Retry
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2010, 12:57:37 PM »
Going to have to go with Necrofantasia and Necro-Fantasy.

HINT HINT

But yeah PCB.

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2010, 01:03:55 PM »
UFO

Seriously, it's all amazing.

Honorable Mention to SA for Lullaby of Deserted Hell and Nuclear Fusion.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2010, 01:10:21 PM »
BlazBlue. :V

Spoiler:
Undefined Fantastic Object, with an honorable mention to Imperishable Night.

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2010, 03:57:20 PM »
S2 and S6 are bland, but I think Sky Ruin is on par with At The End of Spring :<

At the end of spring doesn't suck. :V

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2010, 07:29:45 PM »
Distinctly false.  It's one of the worst S1 themes.  Sky Ruin is all right.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Formless God

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2010, 11:31:20 PM »

Yes. By that I meant both are great :V
Spoiler:
And At the End of Spring is the best S1 ever, fyi

Distinctly false.  It's one of the worst S1 themes.  Sky Ruin is all right.

IN Stage 1. I couldn't remember its name, let alone what it sounds like :V
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:36:35 PM by Formless God »

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2010, 06:28:18 PM »
Yes. By that I meant both are great :V
Spoiler:
And At the End of Spring is the best S1 ever, fyi

Of course you did. :) Maybe i just don't like Sky Ruin because i like all its S3 Stage theme competitors much more.

To be honest, i really don't think there is a bad song in UFO. Except for S6 - That one just misses me so much. I know a lot of people like it a lot but i can't appreciate it. That's part of the reason i don't play against Byakuren much. If i could just start off right at the boss i would probably play her a lot more. She must be good for improving skills.

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2010, 07:08:36 PM »
I had to choose between MS, MoF, and PCB, but in the end I chose PCB.
This.

MS and MoF have some stellar tracks, but everything from stage 3 on in PCB is mind-blowing, particularly Necro Fantasy, Ultimate Truth, The Doll Maker of Bucuresti, and Necro Fantasy.

No, that wasn't a typo.

IN stage 1 had music?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:10:11 PM by Esoterica »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2010, 07:21:49 PM »
That...is easily the BEST windows S1 theme.  Easily.

I...cannot grasp the true form of Gigyas's attack your taste in music.  Not even close.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2010, 07:32:46 PM »
That...is easily the BEST windows S1 theme.  Easily.

I totally love that song. Every time it reminds me of the very first time i played Touhou. Reminds me of dying to Wriggle Nightbug Easy. All that stuff. Its lovely :*

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2010, 08:40:07 PM »
I totally love that song. Every time it reminds me of the very first time i played Touhou. Reminds me of dying to Wriggle Nightbug Easy. All that stuff. Its lovely :*
It's memorable, and Sound Sepher did an awesome remix on their album "Cradle".

That said, I'm pretty sure I got kicked by Wriggle my first time playing IN :V
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2010, 08:53:18 PM »
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2010, 10:17:43 PM »
Lets see...

• PoDD has Kana's theme, Strawberry Crisis, and Reincarnation
  • PCB has Phantom Ensemble, Stage 5 music, Yuyuko's theme, and Necrofantasy/asia

PoDD has lost dream and reincarnation? I know which PC-98 game I'm gonna try and get hold of first then. You reminded me as well that I had an album I hadn't unzipped yet, "depth of phycoligy and unconciousness" with a brill lost dream mix on there. Which I just listened to now lol.

PCB is the best for me. SA and MoF are great, And in UFO Byakurens stage's atmosphere built with the music I think is incredible. (but otherwise, the themes have not stuck in my mind.) PCB however it all comes together brilliantly, its all memorable, personally think the whole games a work of art. once or twice nearly shed a tear at the end of yuyuko's stage, and I think the music alongside the soul chucking out everything its got left is what does that.

Dunno what the deal with IN is, all I remember from that is mokou's theme - and I've never even got to the extra stage playing the game  :V thinking on it though deaf to all but the song is good.

TheMasterSpark

• Lunatic lemurialist
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2010, 10:32:05 PM »
Of all the games, I think that Shoot The Bullet takes the top spot for me pretty much due to "Sleepless Night of the Eastern Country" alone. After that I would rank Phantasmagoria of Flower View as the second highest, with Shikieiki's, Komachi's and Marisa's themes all being top-notch.

Of course, if you'd also count Uwabami Breakers as fair ground it would take the top spot. Nothing beats the Lemuria.  :D

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2010, 10:53:07 PM »
Of all the games, I think that Shoot The Bullet takes the top spot for me pretty much due to "Sleepless Night of the Eastern Country" alone. After that I would rank Phantasmagoria of Flower View as the second highest, with Shikieiki's, Komachi's and Marisa's themes all being top-notch.

Of course, if you'd also count Uwabami Breakers as fair ground it would take the top spot. Nothing beats the Lemuria.  :D
Forgot about StB.  Sleepless Night and Retrospective Kyoto are both amazing.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2010, 11:51:25 PM »
SA for sure. Yuugi's theme is the only track I don't like - I can easily listen to the others in a "playlist sequence" and enjoy every minute of it. Also helps that Nuclear Fusion is my favorite Touhou track of all time.

The only other games that come close are EoSD (once you get past the horrible instrument choices, that is) and MoF. The others that I've played have their fair share of good ones, but also have too many songs I either hate or feel indifferent towards.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2010, 11:55:14 PM »
I'm not the biggest fan of ZUN's music, but I like IN music the best.

« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2010, 01:28:22 AM »
Well, songs DO leave good impressions on the first time they're heard, and I gotta say that the ones that sync with the danmaku are the ones that I like the most~

There are so many good ones, I can mention Nazrin using Busy Rod, Wriggle using her first spellcard during the BB, Gorgeous Sweet Flower.. Ohh, the memories~~ <3

« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2010, 01:35:21 AM »
MY favorite music comes from MoF

The best blend of music to stage in my opinion in MoF Stage 3.

Fighting cowboy faeries to the Gensokyo to gods loved is quite enjoyable.

Aside from that SA's music has had an influence on me

I can find tracks from each game that I like.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2010, 02:56:35 AM »
PCB by far. Probably because it was the first one I played, but it's just awesome as a whole.

ebarrett

« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2010, 03:05:28 AM »
PoDD, of course. PCB for the Windows series.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2010, 03:25:04 AM »
Tough to choose, as I like the PC-98 series music too. Between Reincarnation and Grimoire of Alice, I have some fave FM synth tunes. Still, it's harder to find a Windows game WITHOUT a couple of my favorites from the series as a whole.

EoSD has Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial and U.N. Owen.
PCB has The Capital City of Flowers in the Sky and both Boder of Life tunes.
IN has Nostalgic Blood of the East and Gensokyo Millenium.
MoF has The Gensokyo the Gods Loved and Suwa Foughten Field.
SA has Satori Maiden ~ 3rd Eye and Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom.
UFO has Captain Murasa (or just all of level 4) and Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind.
PoFV has...

Stepchild discovered.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2010, 03:27:37 AM »
Sleepless Night of the Eastern Country is god-tier, but it's also the only good song from StB. Wind Tour is nice, I guess.

For PC-98, PoD.D by far. Reincarnation, Oriental Love Consultation, Tabula Rasa, Lost Dream (overrated song, but still quite nice), and Fight It Out! are all wonderful. Honorable mention to LLS, just for Alice Maestra.

For Windows, MoF definitely. I like...well, just about everything that's not Candid Friend! Special mentions to Dark Side of Fate, Gensokyo the Gods Loved, Fall of Fall, and Faith is for Transient People (by far the best song in the series).

Candid Friend is fucking awful though.

« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2010, 12:24:09 PM »
Candid friend isn't that bad!

What tends to happen though is that if I don't enjoy the original song I will end up enjoying one of it's remixes.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2010, 12:35:55 PM »
I have to say UFO.  The only really meh track is Ichirin's theme, which makes sense because lolIchirin.

Candid Friend could have been done better, but it's still better than everything in the first two stages.  The tracks MoF did do right are very good, though.

Sleepless Night of the Eastern Country is god-tier, but it's also the only good song from StB. Wind Tour is nice, I guess.
Wind Tour would be a decent battle theme for a Touhou RPG. 
I guess I'm the only person who likes Retrospective Kyoto though...

PoFV has...

Stepchild discovered.
Fate of Sixty Years, Higan Retour, Wind God Girl, Oriental Dark Flight, and... well, not a whole lot else :V