Author Topic: Which game has the best music?  (Read 39706 times)

Letty Whiterock

Which game has the best music?
« on: April 21, 2009, 06:15:38 PM »
Which game do you think has the best overall soundtrack? I'm going with PoDD, because it's all incredible. Every track. And it has Reincarnation.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
Re: Which game has the best music?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »
definitely MOF, I cannot mention another game because MOF remains the only album of original ZUN music I keep, the rest I don't. I also have a detailed stored collection of all MOF remixes and doujin music, so yeah.

Love Sanae's theme the most btw.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 06:27:15 PM »
Overall, MoF. Every soundtrack except PoFV and possibly SoEW is generally good though.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 06:31:33 PM »
MoF.

I liked PoDD's, IaMP's and SWR's too.

Stage 2 is that rare type of song that is so catchy that I hear the whole song ringing in my ears.

Gpop

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 06:46:22 PM »
I had to choose between MS, MoF, and PCB, but in the end I chose PCB.

I'll explain later when I get home though. I'm going now.

hiddenryuu

• Artist in Training
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 06:48:31 PM »
Shoot the bullet has some pretty boring bland music too IMHO.

FallenAngelV

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 06:58:28 PM »
It's ridiculously close between PCB, MoF and SA. Probably SA > MoF > PCB if you held a gun to my head.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 07:01:19 PM »
PCB/SA
I can't pick both... I guess I'll go for SA, 'cos the Neutral album (darkness) really made it shine for me.
Now whenever I play that game I find myself humming all the way through.

I've only played the windows games, so I can't comment on the '98.

MoF is a close runner up.
And of course almost all the games have great music  as it is.
Advocate of Transhumanism

Herasy

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 07:09:09 PM »
SWR/SA are closely tied, but I picked SA only because I enjoyed the Darkness Album more than the SWR Orchestral one.

Either way I love all touhou music, they are all awesome in their own special way.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 07:14:55 PM »
PCB

Yukarin for the win.

Adun

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »
Choosing between my favorites SA, PCB, and MoF, I'll have to pick SA.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 07:29:53 PM »
It was either IN or MoF for me; I've got 11 tracks I've kept from each.  SA is close behind with 10, and PCB only has 8 for me.  I went with IN, mostly because of Mokou.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Gpop

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 07:31:30 PM »
PCB/SA
I can't pick both... I guess I'll go for SA, 'cos the Neutral album (darkness) really made it shine for me.
Now whenever I play that game I find myself humming all the way through.

SWR/SA are closely tied, but I picked SA only because I enjoyed the Darkness Album more than the SWR Orchestral one.

Please, PLEASE, don't ever use arrange albums to help you choose one over the other. They're not originals, and therefore not ZUN's music. Anyone with great musical talent could make an awesome arrange of a terrible song.

Keeping this in mind, I chose PCB because I really liked the music in it overall. Most of the songs there are easily remembered by one mean or another, and I could to most of these songs many times and probably never get bored of it. It has many of my favourites such as The Fantastic Legend of Tohno, Phantom Ensemble, Border of Life, Ancient Temple, and many others. Also, it was a HUGE step compared to EoSD, which IMO was pretty bad in terms of instruments used.

MS had pretty good music as well. The are composed so well, it's a pity that they only exist in the PC-98 games. It's so nostalgic. I really love The Grimoire of Alice and Romantic Children though. Probably two of the best songs I've heard in the entire series.

MoF was also in the list because many of the songs are well composed that felt somewhat optimistic. Makes me feel positive and all. It also has one of my favourites, The Youkai Mountain ~ Mysterious Mountain. The instruments used were also well done. It also gave some old-fashioned folklore sense, but not in a nostalgic way.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 07:58:57 PM »
Please, PLEASE, don't ever use arrange albums to help you choose one over the other. They're not originals, and therefore not ZUN's music. Anyone with great musical talent could make an awesome arrange of a terrible song.
This. This. A thousand times this.

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 08:01:31 PM »
Imperishable Night, obviously. The entire soundtrack is beautiful. Which is to say, I love regularly listening to *every single song* in the game, which is better than every other game, where I only love regularly listening to some songs.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 08:08:04 PM »
I am not worthy of voting becaus I have only listened to the EoSD / PCB / IN / MOF tracks. And even then I still cannot pick the best set of tracks, but I think PCB comes extremely close as choice. IN would be following up tight if Cinderella cage and Voyage were bit more interesting.

What simply made me love this game is the music which perfectly fits the stage or character. It doesn't matter if the spellcard is redicliously hard or easy. I just love music in our world as humans and also love how ZUN succesfully made music for Touhou.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 08:24:07 PM »
If arranges counted, I might have switched to SA too; nazz-can's stuff is OBSCENELY good.  Then again, dBu's Pure in Asia wipes the floor with EVERYTHING as far as I'm concerned, so perhaps not.

Which game do you think has the best overall soundtrack? I'm going with PoDD, because it's all incredible. Every track. And it has Reincarnation.
Meh.  Strawberry Crisis, Vanishing Dream, Maniacal Princess, and maybe even Tabula Rasa were all better than Reincarnation, IMO.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 08:33:37 PM »
I chose Perfect Cherry Blossom. It's the only game where I enjoy every tune as much as the next.

I'm surprised MoF got so many votes. The music in that actually annoys me at times, but then again, so does the game itself.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 08:42:59 PM »
I prefer Mountain of Faith, but I was tempted to vote SA.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 08:45:16 PM »
LLS for its music overall.

Followed closely by SA. And then EoSD.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 08:52:22 PM »
I have to go with PCB, although it's painful choosing between PCB, MoF, and SA.  I never really played the PC-98 games that much, so I can't comment on those though.

Yukkuri

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 08:54:19 PM »
Pefect Cherry Blossom.  It's the only one where I can remember most of the music.

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Very hard to just choose one, but since we have to, I'm going to go with MoF. Denying the greatness of that soundtrack is a crime; from Hina onward, every song is anywhere from good to absolutely awesome.

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
  • Trying to be an engineer
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 09:03:45 PM »
Imperishable Night for me.  Themes like Eirin's are just too memorable to ever forget.

LiteYear

• Touhou Fangame Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 09:04:05 PM »
I'm always torn between PCB and MoF.  I think MoF has the more consistent soundtrack, and I don't think there's one bad track on the whole album.  But, I find that MoF doesn't have an incredible song.  PCB has some hit or miss songs, but the ones that do work I enjoy more than MoF's songs, and it has some incredible tracks.  It probably depends on the day, but I think I lean slightly more towards PCB.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 09:16:21 PM »
Lets see...

• SoEW has LCM, Complete Darkness, and Rika's EX boss theme
  • PoDD has Kana's theme, Strawberry Crisis, and Reincarnation
  • LLS has Maiden's Capriccio, Vessel of Stars ~ Casket of Star, Sleeping Terror, and Gengetu's theme
  • MS has Doll of Misery,Infinite Being, Alice in Wonderland, Dream Express and Grimiore of Alice
  • EoSD has Patchy's theme, Sakuya's theme, Septette, Centennial Festival, and UN Owen
  • PCB has Phantom Ensemble, Stage 5 music, Yuyuko's theme, and Necrofantasy/asia
  • IN has Maiden's Capriccio ~ Dream Battle, LCMS,Lunatic Princess, and Immortal Smoke
  • PoFV has Yuka's theme, Higan Retour, Reimu & Marisa's themes, and THE TITLE
  • MoF has Nitori's theme, Aya's theme, Stage 5, Sanae's theme, Suwa Foughten Field, and Native Faith
  • SA has Satori's theme,Yaname's theme, Last Remote, Hartman's Youkai Girl, Stage 5, Okuu and Orin's themes
  • UFO has Tiny Tiny Clever Commander, Umbrella left for 10 thousand years, Sky Ruin and Ichirin's theme
  • IaMP has Broken Moon, Evening Star, Suika's theme, and THE TITLE
  • SWR has Iku's theme and pre-battle theme, and Tenshi's theme and last spell theme

...Don't make me choose. ;_; If I were to say one, I'm just going to go with SA. Almost chose MS, LLS, EoSD, or MoF though. UFO seems set to beat SA if it keeps up the awesome boss themes, and good stage themes.

Mysterio006

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 09:26:04 PM »
PCB has been one of my favorites for a long time. I like both of stage 4's music, Capital City of Flowers in the Sky and Phantom Ensemble; and most of the track sounds somewhat... orchestral, if I had to put it into words. Following that, I also like IN's tunes, and recently SA really stepped in with some strong music like Satori's and Utsuho's themes.

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 09:39:18 PM »

Nono, that's not what I meant when I said the arranges made it shine... it's more like the arranges brought to my attention the best bits of the tracks.

I don't mean I like the SA arranges more than the PCB tracks, and that therefore the SA tracks are better. That would be silly.
Advocate of Transhumanism

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 09:45:11 PM »
Oh wow, now that I think about it, I think my choice is PoDD. o_O

The title theme.
Lost Dream
Reincarnation
STRAWBERRY CRISIS!!
MOLC
Fight it out!
Sailor of Time

Wow, I forgot I loved this soundtrack so much.

Of course every other soundtrack is great too.

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 09:54:16 PM »
its a hard decision, because very game has excellent tracks, but ultimately, i'm gonna have to go with SA, because of Nuclear Fusion alone.

sorry Necrofantasia, Suwa Foughten Field, Reincarnation, Mysterious Mountain, Doll judgeme.....