Author Topic: What would you lose if the internet as it is today were to completely die?  (Read 13516 times)

dustyjo

Re: What would you lose if the internet as it is today were to completely die?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 04:44:46 AM »
Everything.

I'm not kidding.

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 07:44:17 AM »
I would lose a lot of social contact, freeware games, reading material, and (some) music. I'd likely become more focused on my artwork/projects/education, if I didn't die of boredom first.

ArteShy

• Sure you're straight dash....
  • ...I totally believe you
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 09:46:43 AM »
NOOOOO INTERNET CAN'T DIEEEE NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Reverie

• International Nue month
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »
my source of entertainment...enjoyment.... and and!

PC

• riot pls nerf trondamere
  • poultry shout too strong
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2011, 05:35:27 PM »
hmmmm so going over the responses, the popular choices appear to be social life and entertainment

...This actually seems pretty spot on for what I'd have to say regarding the topic, I can't imagine what my life would be like if I hadn't grown up next to a computer screen.  :ohdear:

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2011, 05:37:38 PM »
Oh, another thing:

I would suck at English. Hard. I was terrible at it until I began to look up metal lyrics and to talk about various things on the internet.  :derp:
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 07:01:31 PM »
Contact with several friends, sources for imformation regarding things I'm working on and basically the only place where I feel I can hang out and have fun.

Everything else, like written works, art, and other documents I create on the computer, I keep on my HD or Backup on Jumpdrives/CDs so, I won't lose anything I spent weeks and shit working on...just social links(lol) and a place to hang out.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 05:47:15 AM »
Everything, pretty much.

I know I'm speaking for people other than myself when I say that the internet is my only source of:
1. Informative and educational resources that aren't tainted by poorly hidden attempts at watering down my capacity to think freely
2. Social networking that happens naturally and allows me to connect personally with other people as opposed to being forced down my throat by misguided psychologists that 'just want me to be normal'.
3. True, untethered freedom of speech, opinion and expression without the worries of getting fucked over by the society inflicted zealots that happen to have authority over me in the real world.
4. The ability to find new sources of entertainment that stimulate me as opposed to eating the shit that the TV is blurting out.

TakuTaku

• Currently Incognito
  • I'm always losing to win
    • ah.
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 06:13:11 AM »
If the internet died, graphic design is going to be a VERY difficult thing to do. No sources, no stock, less clients. Meh.

But I think I'll get a lot of side projects done, have a lot more books to read and more movies to watch. Hell, I'll probably even go out and drink more.

DevArt | Twitter
freelance artist looking for work

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 06:24:40 AM »
my virginity

Also I guess my livelihood wouldn't be crushed, but work would become significantly more annoying, given that all legal research is pretty much conducted through Westlaw or LexisNexis, without which I would actually have to go into libraries and look up cases blind in the physical reporters.

On the other hand--assuming the Internet were to die for everyone--no Blackberry, and no being woken up at 3 a.m. by a brief arriving from halfway around the world, that needs to be acted upon RIGHTNOW.

Call it even, I guess.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 01:24:54 AM »
I imagine as a whole the hotel I work in will now go back 20 years in time.
or 200 years.
depending on how well that is managed I am happy with it, after all, I am trained in outdated methods of report handling, room assignment, and key storage back in the days.
Then times, people used to actually have KEYS, which is pretty cool, and reports were not completely reliant of screen press a buttons and you'd had to fill them up yourself by ticking off boxes.

overall, I'd say it was undesirable in terms of work, but manageable.
I imagine however, my entertainment would have been a lot more about buying INTO pan-asian piracy. Oh hey, welcome to the country where the real thing is as unrecognizable as the fake.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2011, 09:21:38 AM »
For myself I honestly have no idea what I would do. I would lose my primary source of entertainment and it would really hurt any chance of me continuing my education and any chance of employment, at least for the forseeable future.

Now if everyone were to lose the Internet then things could become pretty bad for everyone regardless of whether they use the Internet much themselves. With so much dependent on the Internet either directly or indirectly I'd think the immediate economic impact would be quite severe.

I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

You can't have a good evil scheme without a giant robot!

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
It would be a major problem for me as i use the internet for communication with people across the border - a necessity for me since its near impossible to find people who shares interests with me around where i live.

In addition, gathering information but with regards to something you need in a given situation or for education would also become a whole lot harder. So.... i hope that never happens.

Eduardo McNash

• Ordinary Human Soldier
  • Ordinary Human Soldier
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2011, 04:52:47 AM »
Oh well, I would lose my job since I work for a company based in online news, guess I will have to find another job.
"Let the Touhou Legions march from the Gensokyo dimension!"
"Touhou music, keeping the faith in mankind since 1996".

TakuTaku

• Currently Incognito
    • ah.
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 04:58:48 AM »
I just realized how a lot of people would lose their line of work if the internet permanently died.

Economic meltdown, gaiz?

DevArt | Twitter

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2011, 05:05:12 AM »
I just realized how a lot of people would lose their line of work if the internet permanently died.

Economic meltdown, gaiz?
Don't worry guys, Elton John says it will be alright :getdown:

TakuTaku

• Currently Incognito
    • ah.
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2011, 05:07:55 AM »
Don't worry guys, Elton John says it will be alright :getdown:

So did Bob Marley

DevArt | Twitter

Aki

• Autumn Phoenix
  • Rising from the ashes
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2011, 02:31:28 PM »
Social life, blame facebook.

It'll be hard to search for stuff, since there won't be any more Wikipedia. Le gasp, we'll have to head down to the library more often.
Phoenix can burn your soul, you know?

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »
Internet is my life, so... I'd probably lose my life. :V

Besides, most of my friends are internet friends, so... I'd lose the ability to talk to all of them and it'd be unthinkable.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2011, 08:02:15 PM »
My sanity; also Drake, I love you.

I need to be constantly doing something. While I was away, I didn't have access to Internet, and I was bored =/
The Internet itself isn't too much of a problem for me, but it makes obtaining info and communicating with others exponentially more difficult.

Life would suck more without access to the network, I'm afraid.

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2011, 01:20:22 AM »
The world would become a much smaller place. I would probably buy a new console system. Perhaps enter rehab after being caught breaking into a friend's place for just one more Youtube video..

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2011, 07:36:22 PM »
Well if the internet died, i would pay my respects.  And i think the world would go insane because we cant communicate with anyone far away because most phones are paired with the internet, it would rly suck.  But its predicted that the next world war will be a cyber war sooo maybe it wouldn't be that bad  :D

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2011, 07:43:23 PM »
But its predicted that the next world war will be a cyber war sooo maybe it wouldn't be that bad  :D
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

Lacking the internet would make my communications far slower, and it would take away half the fun of fiction writing: showing people everywhere how I write. This would make me very sad. :(

Rockman Zero

• Class S Irregular Hunter
  • Lord of Angels
    • Angel Online
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2011, 12:20:16 AM »
Probably, I lost a way of connection with others and maybe I can't communicate with some of them by other ways.
Then the hell problem is that I can't receive the resources anymore and I can't get some information as well.
The even worse matter is about my website, I can't leave my members because of this.
I am the host of the purest ACG forum: Angel Online.http://www.acglms.com.cn.

GuardianTempest

• Adorably Awkward Android
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2011, 10:28:20 AM »
My unfolding plans for a Blitzkrieg-ing fame.

Also I would have one of my deepest fears realized: Being left behind.