Author Topic: Mahjong (Japanese Riichi Ruleset)  (Read 6896 times)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Mahjong (Japanese Riichi Ruleset)
« on: May 22, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
http://tenhou.net/0/?6286 <-- Until further notice this will be the lobby for MotK games.

I've noticed a good deal of people here play Mahjong, so I decided maybe we should get together and have a couple of rounds. I would like to propagate interest in the game and MotK seems like a big enough community to do it.

Links
http://arcturus.su/tenhou/ <-- This site covers how to use the Tenhou client if you cannot read Japanese.

http://www.ofb.net/~whuang/ugcs/gp/mahjong/mahjong.html <-- This site teaches you how to play if you're not familiar with the game itself.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Seventh Holy Scripture

• Err... d'ya need somethin' from me?
Re: Mahjong (Japanese Riichi Ruleset)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 04:55:28 AM »
Most of us on IRC have been playing in room 7447, which is also used by Rizon's #mahjong so there are usually a few random folks around to join your game if you're short a player (on that note, three player rules are made of weird and suck. Never play them.) Might be a better idea?

And every tutorial on how to play riichi mahjong, including the one you linked, seems to blow so I was meaning to attempt one myself... but been too lazy thus far orz

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 05:13:55 AM »
Most of us on IRC have been playing in room 7447, which is also used by Rizon's #mahjong so there are usually a few random folks around to join your game if you're short a player (on that note, three player rules are made of weird and suck. Never play them.) Might be a better idea?

And every tutorial on how to play riichi mahjong, including the one you linked, seems to blow so I was meaning to attempt one myself... but been too lazy thus far orz

I play in 7447 under 桐島七瀬 (my 3-kyu account is under trance but I forgot the ID for it)

Well I suppose that would be a better idea, wouldn't it?

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 06:56:57 PM »
I know how to play Riichi Mahjong (blame Akagi), but I'm pretty horrendous. Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind playing a few games if I got the chance.

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 10:08:04 AM »
How different is Riichi from the other mahjong rules sets (iirc I know HK...hell, I can't even remember most of the rules for that anymore)?  I'd be happy to play a few games once exams are over.
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:48:21 AM »
I'm watching games and man people play pretty fast over there
I can't really follow what's going on because my brain isn't fast enough to think about what tiles people discard and what tiles might be good or not good in someone's hand.  it's like 'plonk plonk plonk plonk plonk plonk ok tsumo NEXT ROUND'
I'm interested in playing the game, though.  maybe I'll make a dummy account to dick around with so I can get my head around playing before I go at it for real.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 08:56:54 AM »
Ok, help me here, how do I play Japanese Mahjong?

I know Hong Kong style, but definitely not the same.

Also, here is a little scary bit, since I knew how to play, I never stopped playing halfway, they say if you do, death and illness will befall you.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Vibri

• but the night is long
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 05:38:30 AM »
OK I've been playing a lot and I kind of know what I'm doing now.  if you want to play I'm on IRC whenever I'm on a computer so let me know there and I'll probably be up for it!

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 09:36:08 AM »

Vibri

• but the night is long
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 07:44:53 AM »
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/717/stomp.png

I'm still pretty bad but this session turned out all right (screenshot was taken in east 1st round)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 09:00:07 AM »
I don't know how to play any ruleset of Mahjong at ALL. I don't even know if I should bother learning or not. What kind of game is it exactly. I like strategy games, and I think it's some kind of strategy game (or am I totally off), but yet I don't like chess or checkers, or chinese checkers.. I wish I could describe why I don't like em...But...Eh...I don't know. Normally I know why I feel the way I do about things, but that one always eludes me.

Anyway if someone could kindly tell me the basic gist of the game, what makes it fun, what makes the challenge, etc I'd appreciate it. If it's not a strategy game my next guess is it's more of a puzzle game, and I generally never like puzzle games (like that sudoku game, ugh..yuck.. blech).

Vibri

• but the night is long
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 09:14:25 AM »
it's uh more like a card game and a gambling game than a strategy game, although there is a lot of thinking involved.  have you heard of, like, rummy, it's basically rummy (to the point where localizations will use rummy terms as analogues for mahjong terms)