Author Topic: Touhou cosplays?  (Read 18135 times)

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
Re: Touhou cosplays?
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2009, 10:05:30 PM »
I'm going to have to throw my vote in for "sewing is easier than propmaking."  I have not too much problem with the former, well assuming it's not crazy complicated, but the latter.... quite scares me.  But I do kinda want to make Flandre for next year's Otakon with THEM WINGS  :'(

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 12:43:34 AM »
wings are easy..
it's weapons.. and making them portable that is the key../
i'll go back to sewin tmrw and show the results...

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Mima-sama

• What are you doing in that shrine you are not a god
  • You are too cool to be a god anyway :|
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 05:08:43 AM »
Personally I had a really easy time making Mima's moonstaff, and I think creating the wings wouldn't be so terribly difficult as finding a way to put them on would be. It's learning how to sew that I'm really intimidated by.

WRATHIE_Beatrice

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 07:05:29 AM »
to each his own.
i'm intimidated and lazy to make props.
my sis is a MASTER.. shld post the Advent Cirno Sword she made and designed..

i'm better at sewing despite my horribly bad patience...
ironic it is

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 12:18:13 PM »
W00t, all the Otakon meetup people!

I'm toying with the idea of man-Reimu (Reimund?  *ba dum tsh*), mostly because it'd be hell to make my eyebrows and goatee match the wig for a man-Reisen.  Plus I like her outfit but don't want to wear a dress since there's really no way I can pull off feminine.  I will refrain from participating in canon v. fanon debates for now. 

So here's my thoughts:

1) Wig - I'd get some kind of chin-length wig and work with the hair tubes.  Bow, I'm not sure what I'd do, but I'm thinking an embellished headband or headphones (think of Suzumiya Haruki) would have the same effect.

2) Top: I was thinking I'd cut the sleeves off of a karate uniform top, hem them, and embellish as necessary.  The big sleeves I'd have to look into, but I thought of taking the karate uniform sleeves, cutting them, and inserting extra fabric to extend, then I'd make large buttonholes to weave the ribbons as necessary to act as adjustable retainers.

3) Bottom: Red hakama pants.  I'll throw money at the problem and buy 'em online.  Plain white socks and brown semiformal loafers.

4) Props: I'll make a prayer stick (I'm too lazy to look up the proper term) and blow up a few card danmaku to print and stick on lightweight foam core to maintain rigidity. 

I figure I'd get people's input here before turning to Coscom. 

BTW, o hai Triangles :3

WRATHIE_Beatrice

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 12:33:27 PM »
f.y.i. i dun like man-reimu as it is not canon. my argument has been made earlier.

but whatever, do what ever u want to.

1)For the Hair accessories.... i remember the method was to sew it naturally... and then use rubber bands to tie it to the wig... or.. just glue the damn thing on..

2)Cuttin the sleeves off will make it fray, good luck. to stop it from fraying burn the edges if it's polyestor.. if it's pure cotton i have no idea but to pray to kanako...
the detachable sleeves use cloth and sew it yourself... the top will have to be done with elastic so it'll fit nicely to ur arm.. but it'll cut circulatio...

3) Hakama pants is easily to make and to fake.

4) it's a GOHEI. now use it.

sense of humor is currently not available

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 12:45:25 PM »
Oh, I'd hem the edges, of course - fold the fray under, fold it under again, and sew.  Bam, hem. 

I'm concerned that elastic wouldn't support the weight of a stiff enough fabric to keep a nice bell shape to the sleeves.  I guess spray starch would help for regular cotton?  What I was thinking was the buttonholed tops of the sleeves would fit a ribbon or some other sort of line that I could adjust and tie off like a shoelace. 

I don't exactly have much of a luxury of time to do sewing in, nor a desire to do it... anyone who's made hakama want to sound off? 

WRATHIE_Beatrice

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 12:58:25 PM »
it's hard to explain...

hem is... tricky.. but do ur best.

nah, the elastic is at the top end, it'll hold as long as u don't shake it too much. beats using a lace anyday.
Spraying starch will work, np. but it might make it stiff.

Button holed tops is okay, but slits wld make it looks nice... just follow the original design and slip a ribbon through it and tie if you run out of time.

triangles

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 01:04:27 PM »
MJP speaks as if he doesn't live with someone who already sewed one Touhou and is anxious to start the next :D

WRATHIE_Beatrice

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 01:06:33 PM »
im just .. kinda unwilling to cut patterns.
sewing is fine.. till it get to details..

triangles

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2009, 01:20:04 PM »
Pattern cutting and scheming is BY FAR the hardest part of sewing.  Popping it under the machine and physically sewing it is ezmode!

WRATHIE_Beatrice

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2009, 01:30:23 PM »
totally... finally someone agreeing..

Designing hw u do it is a lost art... fuckin difficult...

Mima-sama

• What are you doing in that shrine you are not a god
  • You are too cool to be a god anyway :|
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2009, 05:26:22 PM »
So I've been chatting with Kunai-kun about patterns and I'm thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to make Yumemi's skirt and vest. However I'm rather concerned about how in the world I'm supposed to make her mantle that turns into a cape at the back, any ideas?

WRATHIE_Beatrice

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2009, 01:08:37 AM »
pics or nth from me...

triangles

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2009, 02:51:28 AM »
Cruxios - if you can post a picture of what you're aiming for I can be more specific but as a start:

I made my Alice shawly thing by cutting out a  :V looking piece of fabric (depending how close together you want the front pieces) and leaving a hole for my neck.  What you'll want to do is basically "extend" the back part of that  :V into the rectangular/trapezoidal cape bit by as wide as your shoulders are (or more if you want more of an overlap)  This will probably need to be done via trial and error to gauge how it hits the shoulders so you know where to turn it from "curve" to "rectangle" and such.