Author Topic: [Music] Venture! Timid Youkai! [2010.10.13 Fairy War March (Preview)]  (Read 22044 times)

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
Re: [Music] Venture! Timid Youkai! (2010.09.13 - Musicbox of a Deserted Hell)
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2010, 05:04:30 PM »
I'm on a piano roll!! >w<

UPDATE!! [2010.0916]
  • New Piece! "Triumphant Blaze ~ PCB's Deep Mountain Petals".
  • Encoding the MP3s at VBR (standard).
  • Musicbox of a Deserted Hell revision uploaded.

PCB-themed Fanfare, Triumphant Blaze ~ PCB's Deep Mountain Petals
|| AlternateLink | MIDI

Where'd that come from? -- Dedication
I'm dedicating a series of Victory Fanfares themed to each Touhou game >x3
I think this piece sounds more like a "MISSION ACCOMPLISH" of long-time battles like tactics/strategy games, or a victory over a tragic battle in an RPG.

What's up with the title?
Sticking "Triumphant Blaze" to it from the first piece of its Victory Fanfare series.
Deep Mountain Petals are a title extraction from which PCB tracks I themed it to, specifically "Deep Mountain" and "Snow or Cherry Blossom".
"Stunning if I discover a flower that blooms in this deep mountain?", or something about achieving a hard-earned prize/victory that just makes you sigh deeply in relief.

?Does it still sound MIDI-ish? Because my ears tell me there's still hints of it being MIDI-ish >.<;;
Does 0:14 onwards sound a little too weak-volumed, or is it okay that way, being ambient and all?
I considered rwf's advice to make it "a little more slurred and quieter". I can't tell by myself if I achieved that though, perspective and all :ohdear:
I think I'm missing this one instrument that makes it lack its being a victory fanfare, but I can't get ahold of what it is?

-------
Here's the revision of Musicbox of a Deserted Hell.
Revisions are only in 0:37,1:56,2:51 where I changed its tune a little rather than just repeat that 3-beat melody, to signify?uhh, the next "stanza". 1:56 sounds kinda awkward though :ohdear:
Which one's better, do you think? (or should I just choose according to my judgement? >_<)

Ah, I forgot to mention that the musicbox intro of Tales of Destiny 2 (PSP)'s opening song "Key to my Heart" is what inspired me to use the Musicbox instrument.

Awww no, long-familiar people are starting to respond in my thread! X//////////////////X;;
Th-thank you very much! >/////////<

Beautiful musicbox music is beautiful.
Solais has taken the bait! *___*

... *coughcough*
Yaaay, Solais likes it! Thanks! >////////////////<
*plays Triumphant Blaze ~ PCB's Deep Mountain Petals* Mission Accomplished!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:55:40 AM by Lloyd Dunamis »
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
Re: [Music] Venture! Timid Youkai! (2010.09.16 "PCB's Deep Mountain Petals")
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2010, 09:11:57 PM »
So cheerful :3
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 01:52:32 PM »
this could be worked on.... do you mind if i arrange it?? :D
it feels kind of empty right now, after the cheerful intro. not that thats something bad, but we could do so much more with that.

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2010, 04:43:25 PM »
this could be worked on.... do you mind if i arrange it?? :D
it feels kind of empty right now, after the cheerful intro. not that thats something bad, but we could do so much more with that.
Being a Victory Fanfare, it does sound empty >_<;; I feel it lacks that one instrument? wait, the intro is cheerful? o.o
I intently made the later part feel ambient, because it's like where the debriefing/results of the battle show up and stuff, and to calm the atmosphere after the tense battle? is what I thought :3

and,
You don't have to ask permission from me to do something on it :3
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

Anunsew

• No errors for 5 seconds!
  • Currently fueled by Infinite Love!
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 03:49:57 AM »
@Fanfare
It's good. XD
Reminded me of the first time I tried PCB.

I tried arranging it, although it may have deviated from what you wanted.
Edit
I added some melodies at around 0:25.
Changed the Clarinet to Recorder, Celesta to Vibraphone, and Nylon Gitah to Acoustic Piano.
Added another Piano line, Drum line and other stuff that you'd probably see in the midi with piano roll -_-

I might upload one with the soundfonts I use later. ^^

I really envy your melodic lines. *sigh*
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:56:53 AM by Anunsew »

flamezero16

• The Great Southern Trendkill
  • Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 04:02:22 AM »
quote author=Anunsew link=topic=6884.msg442506#msg442506 date=1284781797]

I tried arranging it, although it may have deviated from what you wanted.
Edit
I added some melodies at the end to fill in the repeating lines.
Changed the Clarinet to Recorder, Celesta to Vibraphone, and Nylon Gitah to Acoustic Piano.
Added another Piano line, Drum line and other stuff that you'd probably see in the midi with piano roll -_-
[/quote]

Haha sorry Anny, I think Lloyds mighta been better =p

Anunsew

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 04:12:22 AM »
Here's the mp3 with my usual soundfonts:
Triumphant Blaze ~ PCB's Deep Mountain Petals (Precision Rearrange)

I hope Lloyd likes it though. >.<

Now that I've listened to it for a while, it sounds more of a "We got the [Precious Item that is Important to the Story]" instead of a victory theme.

EDIT:
I just figured out how to emphasize different voices by studying this piece's Midi. :3

@Flamezero16
Try the link above, it should sound better than my first link. ^^
The first one is Microsoft Synth table midi, so yeah.

Don't call me Anny. >.<
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:04:12 AM by Anunsew »

flamezero16

• The Great Southern Trendkill
  • Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 02:59:31 PM »
@Flamezero16
Try the link above, it should sound better than my first link. ^^
The first one is Microsoft Synth table midi, so yeah.

Don't call me Anny. >.<

Ooooh well, now that one I like. Flutes add a nice touch~

And I rather liked Anny =p Anuns so impersonal~

Anunsew

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2010, 01:53:04 AM »
Ooooh well, now that one I like. Flutes add a nice touch~
It's a soprano recorder. ^^

And I rather liked Anny =p Anuns so impersonal~

Please, anything but that. >.<

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 05:22:46 AM »
?*cough* Pardon, took me time to listen to it and comment it in the rightest words I can think of.

Erm, sorted from lowest-remarks to greatest?or so I think I did:
  • The supposed-to-be 6-string pluck in the guitar in 0:07, you didn't remove/alter it in both tracks of the piano? Though not really audible when accompanied with the rest of the instruments, the piano in 0:07 sounds like one big piano key mash or something o_o;;
  • 0:19-0:24 seems to have a faster tempo that doesn't match to the tempo feel of 0:13-0:19 & 0:24 onwards.
  • I didn't get to appreciate it much at first listening, noticing the overall piece didn't produce that feeling I'm expecting to feel in me or something (though that disappeared after listening again a few times).
  • I learned, from your MIDI, that I should be separating the harmonifying 2nd voice of the instrument to a separate track. Batch operations for that certain notes gets easy this way. Thanks >w<
  • The Closed and Pedal High Hats at 0:13 onwards sounds close to that instrument I've been looking for for this ambient victory fanfare? A nice addition |3
  • The melody of the soprano recorder in 0:30? all those two-note chords?? w--wow o_o
  • OhMyChicken, that varying 6-step-dynamics 16th notes of a melody starting at 0:24!! >[/color=red]/////////[/color]<
    The Acoustic Piano sounds grand in 16th-notes! It feels so old-school, and it's sooo great that way! Aaaaahahahaa~, hahah? *th-those were goosebumping giggles or something just now*
    You used the step-elevated notes in 0:30-0:36 only once though? :<

?Yyyyeeeaaah, it did kinda deviate from what I wanted? but in a positive way! I mean, the piece has become a beauty of itself, and?uhm???? aaaaaaaaah~<3 >//////////<

Now that I've listened to it for a while, it sounds more of a "We got the [Precious Item that is Important to the Story]" instead of a victory theme.
o.o Huh, nice point.
I wonder if I should deviate from Victory Fanfares and turn the others into something like that?? Nah, I guess I'll stay in Victory Fanfare lane.

And if you'll notice in the MIDI, the notes are longer than when it should just be ended when the next note triggers. I made it such to sustain the sound of that note even when the next notes trigger.
...though I feel this is supposed to be the reverb effect's job.

Hnn, I better explain the portions of the pieces earlier next time or something ~_~;;. It'd give off some details that should've been found out by the listener themselves, but just for guiding purposes?

I loop the portion of the song two times in the recording, just like how Game Soundtracks are looped usually.
i.e. PCB's Deep Mountain Petals' loop is 0:14-0:37. The 2nd loop is 0:37-1:02. The 3rd loop at 1:02 receives the 5-second fadeout, closing the musical piece.
In this Victory Fanfare's case, 0:14 onwards is reserved for the de-briefing or battle results, which runs for more or less a minute.

Anunsew

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
*cough* Pardon, took me time to listen to it and comment it in the rightest words I can think of.

Erm, sorted from lowest-remarks to greatest…or so I think I did
The supposed-to-be 6-string pluck in the guitar in 0:07, you didn't remove/alter it in both tracks of the piano? Though not really audible when accompanied with the rest of the instruments, the piano in 0:07 sounds like one big piano key mash or something o_o;;

It's because my piano sound is easily drowned by strings. Strings need a sturdy solid sound to accompany it.
By the way, certain Midi sounds, when played together, make unique sounds that shouldn't be discarded at casual glance.

0:19-0:24 seems to have a faster tempo that doesn't match to the tempo feel of 0:13-0:19 & 0:24 onwards.

Ahaha...I was playing with the tempo, I forgot to correct that part. >.<

I didn't get to appreciate it much at first listening, noticing the overall piece didn't produce that feeling I'm expecting to feel in me or something (though that disappeared after listening again a few times).
The main problem was that the build-up was too weak, too slow. It didn't have that "Yatta!!" feeling. Maybe it's just me though. XD

I learned, from your MIDI, that I should be separating the harmonifying 2nd voice of the instrument to a separate track. Batch operations for that certain notes gets easy this way. Thanks >w<
Learned it from looking at other game MIDI though.

The Closed and Pedal High Hats at 0:13 onwards sounds close to that instrument I've been looking for for this ambient victory fanfare… A nice addition |3
Septette for the Dead Princess (EoSD). It's the main reason why it's so catchy for me. :3
Also, Ghostly Eyes (EiyashouImperishable Night) sports this as well.

The melody of the soprano recorder in 0:30… all those two-note chords…… w--wow o_o
It's just a variation of the first existing chord though.

OhMyChicken, that varying 6-step-dynamics 16th notes of a melody starting at 0:24!! >[/color=red]/////////[/color]<
The Acoustic Piano sounds grand in 16th-notes! It feels so old-school, and it's sooo great that way! Aaaaahahahaa~, hahah… *th-those were goosebumping giggles or something just now*
Study Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17.
A good place to start learning 16th note dynamics.

You used the step-elevated notes in 0:30-0:36 only once though? :<
I was lazy. ~_~

…Yyyyeeeaaah, it did kinda deviate from what I wanted… but in a positive way! I mean, the piece has become a beauty of itself, and…uhm………… aaaaaaaaah~<3 >//////////<
Thanks! It's because it's your piece was a good piece to begin with. XD

I wonder if I should deviate from Victory Fanfares and turn the others into something like that?… Nah, I guess I'll stay in Victory Fanfare lane.
You should try other lanes too. Broaden your horizons, as they say.

And if you'll notice in the MIDI, the notes are longer than when it should just be ended when the next note triggers. I made it such to sustain the sound of that note even when the next notes trigger.
...though I feel this is supposed to be the reverb effect's job.
Reverb effect of Soundfonts are not always pretty.
At least, THFonts has ugly built-in reverb. I had many dry runs with that (insert Ethereal Mind here)

Well, I'm glad you liked my version. *Waits patiently for the next piece*
XD

EDIT:
you don't know how many edits it took to take off the nasty tags. : |
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:47:36 AM by Anunsew »

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2010, 06:53:36 AM »
*tests Marimba*? Uhh, Marimba's that metal bars percussion instrument used in symphonic street bands during some festival, right?? Oh wait, that's a Xylophone?
Aww heck, *googles Marimba*? Oh, they're pretty much the same :x
?That said, A NEW MUSICAL PIECE IDEA HAS EMERGED!! YYYYYESSSSSS!! >xD
Awright, which piece/Touhou BGM is going to be Festival Street Band-ized or something? >w<
Thanks, Anunsew! *huggles*
Well, here I go!

Fairy War March ~Act I~ (Preview I)
It's meant to sound like it's played in the streets --to be more accurate, in a fiesta--, and the same instruments played by many people simultaneuosly. Due to the nature of fiesta street band musical pieces usually played as a medley of songs, this musical piece doubles as a medley, too! >w< So nice~<3
Then I noticed???Th-this is of the orchestral genre of music already, right? >//////////////////////////<

This was...kinda rushed on the recording process to be posted here, so it didn't receive final tweaking and listening tests from me, albeit having done that during the composition >.<;;

I'm very much delighted that at least one of the tracks from Eastern and Little Nature Deity, Sunny Rutile Flection, got entry for a stage/boss theme >w<.
Anyway, curtsies. "Aaah, it was nice studying you, Staking Your Life on a Prank. Thanks for the hard work! *bows*"
EDIT:
Staking Your Life on a Prank: "... I believe you're thanking the wrong BGM track."
Lloyd: "...Oh?"
    *sees Track 3 on top of 'Staking Your Life on a Prank'*
    "Ah! S-sorry! >/////<"
    *turns to 'The Refrain of the Lovely Great War' and bows again*
The Refrain of the Lovely Great War: ":V"

If there's one thing I'll be consistent about in my pieces, I'll stay faithful to the main melody...though that's just me thinking & saying that in my early stage of arranging >.<
Do tell if you like it, you like/unlike parts of it (and which parts exactly? Mention timestamp, instrument usage/delivery, dis/chords, interval, dynamics, instrument harmonization, and/or whatever you feel like criticizing~! >.<)... though don't feel forced :ohdear:
Feedback~! I am troubled without receiving any feedback because my standards are based on other people's standards or how people tend to like their music -- and I have only vague info of what they are. (says me who always hesitates to reply to other threads by feeling guilty just saying "I like it! >w<" and wanting more to say than just "I like it! >w<" in one post >_<;; )
?I'm sure anyone would feel the same...r-right?

@Anunsew
Y-you could just separate your replies in paragraphs, and I'll understand anyway >.<;;
If not, you could?separate them by just using [ quote ][ /quote ] tags and copypasta them, not anymore going back to quote the message and edit your post >.<;; Sorry for having you so troubled about that.

Meanwhile, Sercan suggested something hardcore?
I'd love it, I've been hearing lotsa samples my music-mind is letting me hear, but I imagine I'd need decent-sounding ElekiGuitars, which I haven't found one yet o_o;; (perfectionist side of mine at work)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:33:27 AM by Lloyd Dunamis »

Anunsew

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2010, 07:30:37 AM »
Well, here I go!

Fairy War March ~Act I~ (Preview I)

It suddenly reminded me of Wolfenstein. Don't ask what it is. >.<
It's great, the only thing I can point out is that the high-pitched instrument playing the melody is a bit overpowering at times. Or maybe it's because of my headset...oh well.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 07:36:15 AM by Anunsew »

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
Re: [Music] Venture! Timid Youkai! [2010.10.13 Fairy War March (Preview)]
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2010, 05:41:57 AM »
Probably headset's fault. Computers here usually have high-volumed high frequencies of their system equalizer or something >_<;;... then again, I'm still struggling with balancing their volumes, so...

Also, instrument stuffings is still low-quality or something, and I used too much ambience on the Xylophone/Marimba x_x;;

Will go all-out high-quality instruments or something on the non-preview version ;3 (that's still two BGMs and overall tweaking away o_o;;)

Anunsew

Re: [Music] Venture! Timid Youkai! [2010.10.13 Fairy War March (Preview)]
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2010, 01:44:39 AM »
Probably headset's fault. Computers here usually have high-volumed high frequencies of their system equalizer or something >_<;;... then again, I'm still struggling with balancing their volumes, so...

You can always turn off the equalizers in the control panel. I always do that with mine because my ears are kind of shot. :3

Anyway, do you mind if I use UFO fanfare's quiet part for a certain remix? I was going to remix MoF's stage 3 theme, your theme, and this.

Shameless self-promotion is shameless, but I'm a desperate person so...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 08:26:54 AM by Anunsew »