Author Topic: The Winter 2011 Season for Anime Thread  (Read 67683 times)

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
Re: The Winter 2011 Season for Anime Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2011, 09:58:37 AM »
I expected Rio to be nothing but retarded fanservice. I got what I paid for and loved it.

Yes. this is the same as QB, you might notice QB spawned 3 seasons and counting. FUCK YOUR CRITICISM I HAVE TITS.
I fail to understand as well. It is a step above cockblock ecchi.

Hnng, just thinking about them. So cute @__@

Also, Wandering Son airs in like 10 days  :*

I sort of hoped 2010 would bring in at least 1 trap anime, A WHOLE TRAP ANIME, ALL CASTED AS TRAPS.
you know. I mean, it was the year for it.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2011, 08:14:23 PM »
Just watched episode one of Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

It's pretty much Nanoha x LSD

Fuckin' awesome

Wark

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »
Have just watched the first episode of Yumekui Merry.

For now we have an adorable main heroine, nice opening supported by some good musical pieces during the show itself and setting that may or may not result in an interesting story. The show may actually turn out to be quite enjoyable, provided that doesn't slip into regular school/fanservice stuff, and instead focuses on the few main characters and develops the idea of the
Spoiler:
dream world
. At least the first episode was good enough to ensure that I will be waiting for the next one. After "Otome Youkai Zakuro", which unexpectedly became one of my favorites in the Fall season, I certainly wouldn't mind another surprise from J.C.Staff.

Also, there are cats. Lots of cats.

Some interesting facts (you may already know them, but still):

-The author of the original "Yumekui Merry" manga is Yoshitaka Ushiki, who is also the author of the quite famous "Advent Cirno" series.
-The opening theme for the anime is sung by Marina Fujiwara and composed by void from IOSYS, while the ending is sung by Ayane Sakura, Merry's voice actor, and composed by ARM and minami from IOSYS.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2011, 06:00:25 PM »
Just watched episode one of Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

Fuckin' awesome
One of these days I really need to watch Nonoha and find out what all the hype is about.

That said I did watch Madoka after reading this, and was pleasantly surprised. It's a nice mix of cute, dark, and outright weird. Hopefully it can remain entertaining for the rest of the season, but we'll just have to wait and see about that.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Matsuri

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Okay, this is the Winter 2011 thread, but I didn't feel like making a new thread for this:

I have mentioned multiple times that one of my favorite manga series is Usagi Drop, and I tend to fanboy about it whenever I pickup a volume and whatnot. However, I just got news today that it's getting an anime adaptation by Production IG, and will be airing on noitaminA this summer.

In other words, :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :* :*

Jana

• mrgrgr

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2011, 12:57:02 AM »
Dammit, why is SHAFT so awesome?

Just finished the first episode of Madoka.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2011, 01:16:18 AM »
In Gosick, do you think the subs are saying her name right? They say Victorique, but her name sounds more like Victorica to me.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2011, 01:44:59 AM »
Wow, Madoka has a bunch of my favorite character voices. As soon as a character spoke her first sentence I went "oh hey, I know that voice."

Oh hey, its a little animal telepathically calling out to the main character for help. Cue acid trip woaaah.

Damn I like this show already. Thank you SHAFT.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2011, 07:40:55 AM »
Well, Gosick's off to a fine start. The crime solved in the first half of the episode seemed a little obvious to me, and Inspector Blois is a pretty ridiculous character, but it ended on an intriguing note. Intriguing enough for me to want to watch the next one, anyway.

I tried giving Madoka a chance, but I was bored silly by the time I got halfway through. Merry held my attention through the first episode, but the characters seem forced and contrived. Both dropped.

Here's hoping for the best with Fractale which, at the very least, should be visually stunning.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2011, 08:01:10 AM »
Just watched Gosick, and I love the feel of the first episode.The first murder was predictable
Spoiler:
(it's funny when the obvious suspect actually is the murderer)
.  It took a little while to click, but Vitorique is simply adorable so that helped a lot. Going to definitely keep my eye on it.

Quote from: Amaterasu
I tried giving Madoka a chance, but I was bored silly by the time I got halfway through.
To be fair, it really doesn't pick up until the final 5 minutes or so. Still I doubt most of the series will be at that pace so I understand dropping it. It earned a second episode out of me at least.

Usagi Drop anime
Quote from: Satori Komatsuri
:*

1CC List (all shmups)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2011, 01:32:08 AM »
Madoka is about as expected, I'll keep watching it.

I loved Yumekui Merry.  Everything about it rubs me the right way.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2011, 03:24:07 AM »
As expected, Gosick is awesome, and unsurprisingly, it seems people don't like Infinite Stratos, which is in my opinion pretty cool. Freezing gave an impression of sci-fi Ikkitousen, and also oneesan-fetish and now I am looking forward to watching Stein; gate.

Yumekui Merry seems quite enjoyable, I haven't watched it so far but I just might.
I have no interest in Magical Girl shows so I am just saving Madoka up for much later when there is nothing to watch. (I have PSG to watch since it is as predicted somewhere in the bargain bin already)
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2011, 03:35:48 PM »
it seems people don't like Infinite Stratos, which is in my opinion pretty cool.
I found that weird too as the first episode was pretty enjoyable, but its probably the harem-esque setting thats turning people off of it.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2011, 04:12:17 PM »
I found that weird too as the first episode was pretty enjoyable, but its probably the harem-esque setting thats turning people off of it.

and people shouldn't be, this show along with Freezing boast a good cast of VAs (especially that black haired girl which I am pretty sure is voiced by P-Ko's VA) and the action looks very promising with full 3D rendition and smooth silky movements. Freezing and IS are both on my watch list because likewise, what I watch =  shows people whine about the ecchi or pointlessness of it because lol harem set ups.

My opinion: chew before you spit it out.
IS already made better impressions on me than Daimaou did, and its robotic action although not believable reminds me greatly of Choco sensei's superb robotic art, as for Freezing, I am impressed by the manga since its beginnings and I am fairly certain it is underappreciated. Also noted Freezing is probably one of the few truly anime-oriented style Korean Manhwa. (because Winter Sonata does not count) which I feel is pretty good a reason to watch it. This is especially true because they cannot animate classic violent manhwa like Boichi and so on. (Those are so violent you can show it on TV)

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2011, 10:55:31 PM »
The most viewed anime on whatever's up on Nico channel so far is Cardfight!! Vanguard and Rio Rainbowgate.
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2011, 12:16:10 AM »
The most viewed anime on whatever's up on Nico channel so far is Cardfight!! Vanguard and Rio Rainbowgate.
Nico viewers sure have excellent taste

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2011, 12:18:48 AM »
Kore wa Zombie is officially awesome.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2011, 04:46:29 AM »
Cardfight! doesn't seem without merit, though it smells of cardgame anime like Yugioh.

Kore was Zombie is indeed, seemingly wonderful.
whoever said this season sucks should behead themselves for prejudice. There is nothing wrong with this season, some are good, some are woe, but otherwise okay. Come July however, ahahahaha.

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2011, 06:24:38 AM »
I find the praise funny, because I feel Kore wa Zombie has a fitting name; I found it brainless.* :V

* Rita Mordioslayer  is shot

OK that's mean, but really one thing I know I've said before, a long time ago, is disliking "fanservice for the sake of fanservice". When you try too hard it shows, and this show is straddling the line at points.

But alas, I can look past that and look at the show's other qualities. The humor earned some chuckles, but mostly fell flat. The
Spoiler:
genderbender transformation
scene was both hilarious and very....erotic. Over-violent magic girl was funny, but ruined by being fanservice fodder. Overall it's obvious I'm not the target audience for this show. Which is really, really disappointing, because I usually love zombies, dark humor, and
Spoiler:
genderbending

May pick it up again after a few more episodes, but definitely dropped for a bit.

As for the season as a whole, I still have 1-2 more series to check out, but it can be no worse than .500 for me, which is good considering how slammed it was going in.

*Yes I know zombies aren't brainless shut up.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:28:00 AM by Rita Mordioslayer »

1CC List (all shmups)

Tengukami

« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2011, 06:41:56 AM »
I find the praise funny, because I feel Kore wa Zombie has a fitting name; I found it brainless.* :V

* Rita Mordioslayer  is shot

OK that's mean, but really one thing I know I've said before, a long time ago, is disliking "fanservice for the sake of fanservice". When you try too hard it shows, and this show is straddling the line at points.

I lost all reason to watch this show at about two and half minutes in. Dude gets hit by a truck, and as he flies through the air, hits tree after tree, losing an article of clothing each time. Naked except for his socks as he's still flying through the air, we see a pair of girls witnessing this, screaming, and are given a double upskirt panty shot at the same time.

Thanks, but no thanks. To me, this is like Porky's or, more recently, any of the American Pie movies in anime format. I can see the potential in this show and all, but the overly slapstick ecchi gags are just a little too much for me.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2011, 07:31:13 AM »
Finished my initial watchlist with Yumekui Merry and IS.

Merry was not bad, but not great either. Merry's skimpy little outfit aside, the writing is insanely hard to follow and at times just weird. Like when the main character spasmed out, then stared at the sky and said "Merry" during the fight scene; thought he was possessed or something. Animation is very spotty as well. Overall nothing really grabbed me, so this is dangerously close to being dropped.

Infinite Stratos has the honor of being the first episode I didn't finish. I tried, I really did. But everything about this show screamed stereotype. From the lone handsome male rejecting the looks of women to the tsun(dere) elite blond, nothing about this show broke the mold. Hell the introduction set the mood, what with a bunch of girls getting maybe 1 shot on an enemy before becoming useless, yelling for the guy to finish him off. Forget the blatent sexism of that scenario, I find that whole "everyone but the main is useless" battle strategy unforgivable in most mahou shoujo anime; why is it in a high-production shounen?! Cute girls, mecha, and beautiful animation were definite highlights. But alas they alone can't save this show.

In the end, a .500 season (3 follows, 2 dropped, 1 borderline).

(Sorry for the rants, I just feel better explaining my reasoning at times. If it bugs you just say so).

EDIT: On a whim decided to give Dragon Crisis! a shot. So far I'm getting Gad Guard vibes for some reason, likely because of the music. At first I was underwhelmed, but things definitely picked up after Rose appeared. A lot of questions with very little backstory or exposition, which is annoying, but was more than overwhelmed by solid animation, a unique sountrack, and Rose just being cute. In the end I'm just another hypocritical nerd. Lets see where it goes from here.

Hot-cousin Eriko is already contending for the bounciest boobs of 2011 award. :getdown:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:16:44 AM by Rita Mordioslayer »

1CC List (all shmups)

Tengukami

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2011, 02:46:52 AM »
So Level E isn't terrible. The pacing is a little clumsy, but the writing is good and I can see the potential for a good series here.

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2011, 09:20:13 PM »
Why did they start Wandering Son so far ahead?! I understand you're going for a catchy opening, but t's only going to confuse new viewers who never read the manga. That part of the story is only emotional if you know what lead up to it!

Still, because I did read the manga, that was a great first episode, because damn if that isn't the 2nd most heart wrenching part of the series in my opinion
Spoiler:
(only behind Nitori's wearing a girl's uniform to school for the first time)
. I can't comment on things that I have little knowledge/care for (like voice acting and such) but I really like the style they use for Shimura Takako adaptations. I wonder if they're going back to the beginning from now on, though it's going to be weird when it works its way back to the present. And if they don't, then it kills a lot of details about the cast. *sigh*

1CC List (all shmups)

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2011, 12:42:21 PM »
Horrible pacing for Hourou Musuko I agree, I dunno what's even going on and it feels somewhat... established already, and that's when I am not reading the manga.

Tengukami

« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2011, 03:26:35 PM »
After watching the first episode, it looks like Fractale is going to be the best series this season. Gorgeous, charming, funny and engaging. It reminds me a bit of Studio Ghibli, with some elements of Haibani Renmei (only not as sad). Gosick and Level E, I think I'll be following more or less for something to watch, and I'll still be following Bakuman, but Fractale is the series I'll be looking forward to each week. Lovely stuff.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2011, 03:59:42 PM »
Cardfight! doesn't seem without merit, though it smells of cardgame anime like Yugioh.

Considering who made it...

Kore was Zombie is indeed, seemingly wonderful.
whoever said this season sucks should behead themselves for prejudice. There is nothing wrong with this season, some are good, some are woe, but otherwise okay. Come July however, ahahahaha.

I'm sorry I don't like generic stuff.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2011, 08:19:53 PM »
I have to agree with Amaterasu,  Fractale is off to a great start. I definitely get Studio Ghibli vibes, which alone is worthy of love, but even beyond that the first episode is best single best episode I've seen so far this season among all shows. The scene with
Spoiler:
the three "antagonists" at the door
had me in stitches. Purely enjoyable show so far.

Madoka is still the surprise of the season. A lot of stereotypical mahou shoujo tropes are contrasted by a gorgeous soundtrack and visuals during the witch hunts, and the fights themselves are enjoyable to watch. Gosick is losing a little stream due to predictability (I'm sure I already know who's responsible this time) but Victorique is still awesome, especially that laugh of her's. :V

1CC List (all shmups)

Kasu

• Small medium at large.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2011, 02:09:48 AM »
After watching the first episode, it looks like Fractale is going to be the best series this season. Gorgeous, charming, funny and engaging.

Probably have to agree with all statements made here.