Author Topic: Bringing the gaming community closer on MoTK through private battle.net  (Read 28281 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Our own defense of the shrines community isn't large, but we have become quite close with the amount of people. Pesco was brainstorming this idea if we could have a central hosted private battle.net, so people can join and play Defense of the Ancient/Shrines.

After discussing it on IRC with our boss, TSO, we thought it would be more interesting to make this more broad, and not only for DotA/Dots. Therefore, without too much walls of text, the next question is asked:

"Would you use a MotK hosted Battle.net server?"

Please give us your honest vote and opinion regarding this. If there is enough support, we will put up our own private battle.net where people can play many types of blizzard games. Surely this is currently only focussed on battle.net games, but yea... let us hear it.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
Re: Bringing the gaming community closer on MoTK through private battle.net
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 05:16:02 PM »
Yes and you know it.

The server helps smooth out hosting for our game group. And since it's a Bnet server, naturally we're open to try other games that can also make use of the server.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 05:17:07 PM »
Do you have to pay for DOTS since I'm pretty new to all of this...

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 05:20:45 PM »
The map is free.  You still gotta own Warcraft 3 though.

The reason the bnet server came up was we were thinking of ways to channel community involvement beyond just forums and IRC.  I used to run gameservers for #shrinemaiden long long ago (and was actually the original purpose of Triela) but that got shoved to the wayside as interest waned (and so did my bank account :().

I'm actually surprised by the nice turnout we got with the MotK Nethack server I threw up a month or so ago (http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,7037.0.html) and I just expanded my private TeamSpeak 3 server to host the DotS players and anyone else in the MotK community looking to run their mouths.

So this is an interest check to see if this is a direction we might want to invest in.  At this point I cannot host any more on Triela, so this decision brings on possibly additional costs.  So this is not something I want to put together for just 5-10 people to use.

Basically this server wouldn't be limited to just DotS (even if it was the initial reason it was brought up), it could potentially host ANY Battle.net enabled game at the very least, possibly even other games as well depending on how much interest there is and what kind of funding we can secure.  I think this is a great way to stress the "gaming" part of this gaming community, bringing us together as a whole while giving us an outlet to hang out with other than just what you see here.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:29:53 PM by ♪ Trans-Siberian Orchestra ♫ »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Herasy

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »
Hell yes for this idea!

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 06:08:55 PM »
I don't play any b.net games so no here. But if I did I'd be happy to play along with you folks.
However, I must ask what the benefits are to having such a dedicated server over just having a private channel or something on theirs? I mean from my experience blizzard's servers aren't slow, so. What exactly would you people gain to justify the cost?

I don't mean to buzzkill I'm just curious.
I expect to be playing diablo 3 when it's out though.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 06:13:35 PM »
Well for the DotS people at least they don't play on BNet proper due to the geographical disparity of the players, they tend to play over Hamachi/etc.  They've been having all sorts of problems so the idea of an MotK BNet server was (jokingly) brought up.

I've been itching to run an MotK Starcraft tournament for a while anyways, so it was like kill two birds with one stone.  I also need to desperately move Nethack to its own box anyways and I've also thought about (re)starting an RO server, but the resources required are far beyond what little we have left on Triela.  So really this isn't just for BNet but for really any sort of community server, depending on what resources I can secure.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 06:32:07 PM »
Sadly, I don't play many Blizzard games online.  In fact, the only game I reliably play online is Team Fortress 2.  Maybe I should change that...I do have Warcraft III around here somewhere.

This still looks like unto Cool Beans, though.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 06:34:42 PM »
An MotK Diablo 2 ladder could potentially 0wn.  I refuse to play on the official ladder due to gratuitous abuse of dupe bugs and the town PK bug.

ID for the first person to complete all acts with a hardcore mode character BV!

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 06:36:55 PM »

DO WANT!!

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 07:00:03 PM »
And probations for using Hammerdins!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 07:07:40 PM »
I thought Hammerdins got nerfed into the ground in 1.12.  It's all about vengeance pallies now.

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 07:42:53 PM »
I'm not sure if I'd use it, but I'm more than enough in support of it.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 07:57:01 PM »
I would likely use it for Warcraft if I ever have time or other people to play with.

Vus

• Running
  • is important for everything!
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 08:18:38 PM »
Diablo 2 player here! Also used to play warcraft/starcraft. I would love to be a part of a private owned bnet server. Sounds good to me :D. I could also lend a hand with the server it self since I have been wanting practice with anything servers.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 09:52:31 PM »
Screw those flavour of the patch characters in Diablo2. Good old  Meteor / Orb combo of Sorc. And fuck Blizzard because it doesn't look cool enough. For private battlenet, I would probably also pick up Diablo 2 again. Purchased the game like twice as well as LOD so I could play with friends over here.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 09:56:51 PM »
God I remember when Nova Sorcs were so broken.  Same with Static Field Sorcs.  Lightning is still my favorite build, chain lighting bitches so much fun.

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 10:21:30 PM »
I guess I could whip out Diablo 2 and play it again.

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 11:16:41 PM »
I dont know you guys Keine said no to this on three separate occasions :V. But i think ill vote yes on this.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 01:52:04 AM »
I absolutely would, but my connection sucks. :/

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 02:07:08 AM »
I would play, and I hope other people from MotK (maybe those who don't have the habit of visiting the irc channels and even those who don't know the forum or visit it regularly..) would use it too.

Sadly, I don't play Starcraft, so I wouldn't be participating in a tournament ;p
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 07:29:25 AM »
God I remember when Nova Sorcs were so broken.  Same with Static Field Sorcs.  Lightning is still my favorite build, chain lighting bitches so much fun.
Fuck yea, I remember as a newbie to Diablo2, I was told to build Nova sorc. Cow level was like done in blink of a time. But yea, mobs didn't had resistance back then.

I would play, and I hope other people from MotK (maybe those who don't have the habit of visiting the irc channels and even those who don't know the forum or visit it regularly..) would use it too.

Sadly, I don't play Starcraft, so I wouldn't be participating in a tournament ;p
Your bros would also have less lag because it is similar to Kitten's host latency afaik.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 08:29:20 AM »
Man, it took me a while to find this topic.
Anyway, voting yes. Though the only thing I'd really be playing on it is DotS.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:31:57 AM by Dormio »

reVelske

• Epitome of Justice
  • I've got better things to do tonight than die.
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 08:44:37 AM »
Definitely keen, assuming the latency is roughly the same as playing over hamachi.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 09:03:35 AM »
MotK Starcraft tournament
YEEEEAAH that sounds like a blast

I have SC1, WC3, and D2 and would be pleased to play any of them with you guys. I am also willing to help support additional server costs a bit.

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 03:25:46 PM »
BW Tournament Nao!

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 05:56:12 PM »
seems like a neat idea.

also a good excuse to play bw again. unless you were talking bout sc2 :(

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 06:39:49 PM »
We'd get sued into the ground if it was a BNet 2.0 private server.

Messiah

• The Devil on The Sky~
  • In seek for the lost DotS
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 12:08:29 PM »
I am playing only DotS atm, but definitely you have my support
Steam Profile                 Myanimelist Profile

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 12:23:47 PM »
To those who voted no, are there potentially any other games you'd be interested in that we could host?  Suggestions for other games are fine.