Author Topic: Bringing the gaming community closer on MoTK through private battle.net  (Read 28291 times)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Re: Bringing the gaming community closer on MoTK through private battle.net
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »
I am not at all averse to this idea.

I would like to have more friendly BW games and more friendly DotA games as I quite frankly have been getting a little bored of DotS.

Just a little.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2010, 04:47:36 PM »
I think that this is an awesome idea even if I wouldn't really participate due to lack of interest in blizz games(that aren't wow)

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

TakuTaku

• Currently Incognito
  • I'm always losing to win
    • ah.
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2010, 04:54:02 PM »
I'm all for this, guys. DoTs gets so uninteresting when you're playing with one person and crap AI.

I live on the other side of the globe tho so I doubt I'll really be able to enjoy this once it's out... but y'know, my support all the way!

DevArt | Twitter
freelance artist looking for work

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2010, 04:58:25 PM »
To those who voted no, are there potentially any other games you'd be interested in that we could host?  Suggestions for other games are fine.

It's not quite that simple. Were I to vote, I would vote no, but only because I don't do online gaming.

If the question were "Would you like to see an MotK hosted Battle.net server?" then I'd probably vote Yes even though I'd never use it, because it would make a bunch of other people happy and provide this site with additional content. Beefing up MotK's functional content is something I would like to see more than just about anything else that's happened here in the last year and a half.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »
That's the kind of explanation I was seeking, thanks.  Use is more important as I don't just want a bunch of people who think it's a great idea but wouldn't actually use it.  This is why the question is worded as "would you use an MotK hosted server" instead of "would you like one".

It's one thing to have a bunch of people for having one, a whole different thing to have a bunch of people who would actually USE it.  I was just curious to see if any negative answers were because they're not interested in BNet-based games or whether they thought it was a bad idea period.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2010, 06:02:15 PM »
It's not quite that simple. Were I to vote, I would vote no, but only because I don't do online gaming.

If the question were "Would you like to see an MotK hosted Battle.net server?" then I'd probably vote Yes even though I'd never use it, because it would make a bunch of other people happy and provide this site with additional content. Beefing up MotK's functional content is something I would like to see more than just about anything else that's happened here in the last year and a half.

I would like  to second that. Unfortunately, I have already voted, so if someone has the power to remove my vote, feel free to do so :)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »
Ok, it's time to discuss how much it would cost us.

To host anything I'm going to have to get a second VPS, period.  Triela can't handle the load and I wouldn't want them to share the same box anyways for security reasons.

Base VPS package on Linode, our current host, is 20/month for 512MB of memory and 16GB of HD space.  I don't know if it's enough to host a BNet server or not, but I would assume it should be adequate.  If it's not we may have to reevaluate the entire idea.  Either way I just wanted to make it clear this isn't free in any sense.  It would increase significantly our current hosting bill, as well as my admin responsibilities, but I think it's something I believe is worth trying to do.

But we're going to need everyone's support on this.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2010, 08:31:57 PM »
20/month?  I'd kick in for a month a year or suchlike.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:00:40 PM by theshim »

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2010, 08:51:48 PM »
$20/mo is a moderate burden for something that is usually provided free through Blizzard's services. The only people who really "desire" a new B-net type server are the DotS guys who lag on B.net normally. As such, I only see those people or philanthropy type people being donators. Anyone else that hears of this server will just mooch and not care if it shuts down later.

How many people are willing to donate to this server and keep it running for even 6 months at a bare minimum? That's $120 right there. Realistically, TSO wants this for a longer term and those costs aren't so low after a year or 2. And the $20/mo is a min cost estimate as well.

TSO: I think to actually attract enough long time donators, you have to offer something more unique than a private b.net server. Other games would work. Me, personally, I had a lot of fun playing a D2 mod called Median XL with Pesco and if the server could also host that, I'd be all over it and would contribute decently. Just one example out of several.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2010, 09:20:29 PM »
BNet is merely one of a few ideas I had.  DotS was what spawned the initial conversation to get a dedicated game server, and I figured it'd be the most popular use initially.  Median XL wouldn't be too difficult to host (the BNet server is already there), nor any other game for that matter.

What I won't host is games that have decent servers already (TF2/L4D/etc), I want to provide access for things that wouldn't easily be replicated.  Other than that exclusion, if it's got a server that runs on Linux then I would consider hosting it as long as there's enough interested for it.

Long-term donators are going to be needed for this definitely though.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:28:17 PM by ♪ Trans-Siberian Orchestra ♫ »

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2010, 11:21:16 PM »
Everyone one who voted yes should chip in.   :D

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2010, 12:12:10 AM »
I wouldn't mind helping for a while even if the BNet just turns out to be a flavor-of-the-month deal, as it might lead into the server being used for other entertaining things.

I'll agree to donate $30 up front (25% of the cost for six months). Will it just go into the normal community donation box?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2010, 02:06:28 AM »
Yeah the normal donation box is fine.  It's for funding for any hosting fees MotK incurs.

Paypal donationbox@shrinemaiden.org

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »
I use an internet cafe to play online and I'm not sure they can use battle.net with their Warcraft (They can do so with Starcraft 2 though, but I don't own starcraft yet), but as long as this doesn't drain users form Hamachi, I'm all for it. Maybe when I get a better broadband and computer I'll be able to play with you guys on battle.net truly.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2010, 05:53:34 PM »
As long as the net cafe can add servers it will still work fine.

Kerigis

• *Gnaws Donut*
  • Bow down before the true administrator!
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2010, 06:54:18 AM »
If it's possible, definitely.
One of the reasons: Knockoff in three steps.
*New player in for DotS!*
*Creation of a new Hamachi channel*
*Keri goes FFFFFFF*

Although the bad part on this is that I'm currently unable to do donations, not really on monetary issues, but rather Paypal/debit shenanigans.

Powerup punchin'!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2010, 12:26:56 PM »
If the private B.net server is beneficial in both latency and playability I am willing to contribute to the fees, but we need to run a test imo first before making this real. Is that possible TSO to have a test?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2010, 07:11:39 AM »
Unfortunately not anymore.  My desktop at home just decided to commit suicide Friday. :\
=/ that sucks. I managed to save mine from suicide. Suddenly my mobo decided to reset itself losing its RAID mode. Made me think my mobo died, again.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2010, 10:25:57 AM »
Yeah my SSD died, after only having it for 9 months.  Likely won't get a replacement until after New Year's.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2010, 07:02:01 AM »
Welp, I sent the cash, we'll give it a whirl as soon as we're ready I guess.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »
You guys are going to make me try this DoTs stuff, blah.. Part of me wants to try it just to have a game with you folks, another part does because it's a multiplayer Touhou game, another part because I just like trying new games...But based on me not really getting into any of the previous dota-like games, I'm scared of looking like a douche by saying I didn't enjoy myself playing with some of you guys =\.

In any case, I hope you guys make good use out of whatever private servers. Moar ways to connect with the community is always nice >=)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2010, 10:56:02 AM »
We'll need to get round to making some noob-friendly guidelines.

reVelske

• Epitome of Justice
  • I've got better things to do tonight than die.
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2010, 12:08:15 PM »
But based on me not really getting into any of the previous dota-like games, I'm scared of looking like a douche by saying I didn't enjoy myself playing with some of you guys =\.

I doubt you'll look like a douche for it, you will inevitably get some terrible matches with them jerks being the jerks they are, but we all just bitch and moan after the games, get crap out of our chests and move on :V
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:14:31 PM by reVelske »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2010, 04:57:40 PM »
You guys are going to make me try this DoTs stuff, blah.. Part of me wants to try it just to have a game with you folks, another part does because it's a multiplayer Touhou game, another part because I just like trying new games...But based on me not really getting into any of the previous dota-like games, I'm scared of looking like a douche by saying I didn't enjoy myself playing with some of you guys =\.

In any case, I hope you guys make good use out of whatever private servers. Moar ways to connect with the community is always nice >=)
Who says you need to play dots? If you didn't read TSO's post, if you said "no" what would you like to see. And battlenet also allows Diablo2 and stuff.

I don't enjoy some dots games either when I play. That is generally due to extreme spiking/ping and jerk people like Pesco.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2010, 05:03:24 PM »
I don't enjoy some dots games either when I play. That is generally due to extreme spiking/ping and jerk people like Pesco.

stfu u n00b host

:trollface:

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2010, 02:17:45 AM »
Say hello to Henrietta, our game server, and her handler Matsuri.  He's pretty much going to be the goto guy managing it (of course I'll be teaching him :V).

Right now what's slated is a BNetd server, and an RO server, as well as moving the Nethack/etc stuff to it.  If you got any suggestions now's the time to make them.

Matsuri

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2010, 02:54:43 AM »
@_@

Please bear with me as I learn this stuff. :ohdear:

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2010, 05:03:28 AM »
Awesome stuff. Let me  know what's the server details then I can add it when I get home.

Just a GBZero

• <Kaisou> ...Yeah, kinda small, but I think it works...
  • Too much manga now means not enough manga
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2010, 05:06:19 AM »
How about running a minecraft server on it?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2010, 06:21:06 AM »
Minecraft is out of the question sadly as it requires an obscene amount of resources to run (try 2gb of ram minimum).