Author Topic: Tea  (Read 16270 times)

ArteShy

• Sure you're straight dash....
  • ...I totally believe you
Tea
« on: December 07, 2010, 08:01:47 PM »
I can't believe we don't have this topic already. So, after watching Remilia drinking tea in "The Summer Day's dream" I was inspired to make a topic about Gensokyo's favorite drink! So, post tips and tricks about tea, what is the best tea you've ever tasted, etc.

Here are some teas i like and teas i hate.

My favourite teas

Earl Grey : Fresh and exotic smell, but it's taste is very calming and soothing.

Darjeeling : Soft and gentle black tea. It's perfect for black tea begginers.

Jasmine-Green tea : Really nice smell and floral taste.

Sencha : Fresh green tea from Japan, 90% of japanese population drink this one (Even Reimu.).

Teas i hate :

Rooibos : Too sharp taste for me.

Lipton yellow label tea : Cheap taste, lots and lots of food coloring.

Genmai Tea : Tea with roasted rice? Sorry, no.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Re: Tea
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 08:05:05 PM »
We used to have a beverage thread, once upon a time...

I will reiterate my opinion.  Regardless of who makes it, how it was made, how long it's steeped etc., tea always, always tastes to me like water flavored exactly enough to be unpleasant.  The smell of the tea is wonderful, but it's just too weak for me to enjoy the taste.  And when I'm told to add sugar or the like, well, I'm having sugar water that smells nice, not tea...

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

ArteShy

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 08:07:26 PM »
*Yoda Voice* Weak taste you have! *Yoda Voice End*

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
I haven't tried enough different kinds of teas to have much of an opinion, but I do dig chamomile.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »
I bate to say this cuz it makes me look like a weeaboo, but I've always hated all teas. I'm like shim, it's just not flavorful enough to enjoy IMO. It's not about weak taste, I can tell you the difference between any 2 scotches, pepsi/coke, when you add a spice to a curry, etc. It's not that I can't tell the diff between teas, I just like my drinks to be strong for the most part.

Even if you steep it in less water or whatever, it still tastes like flavored water to me, and well, I hate water. Juice, pop,booze please, but not water!

Anyway, without sounding weeaboo, I've bated all teas until just over a year ago when I tried matcha, and boy did I love it! I also tried sencba since, and I like that too. I guess I like Japanese teas =p. I also tried some fancy multi hundred dollar pu-erh tea (or WTF it's called), the guy said the batch number or the year or something was probably the most renowned that was available in the country, and... It sucked ass like all the other teas. =p.

Imma stick to the other Japanese teas for now.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 08:21:39 PM »
We used to have a beverage thread, once upon a time...

I will reiterate my opinion.  Regardless of who makes it, how it was made, how long it's steeped etc., tea always, always tastes to me like water flavored exactly enough to be unpleasant.  The smell of the tea is wonderful, but it's just too weak for me to enjoy the taste.  And when I'm told to add sugar or the like, well, I'm having sugar water that smells nice, not tea...
That's because whomever is making your tea sucks at making it.  Most people don't realize you really should be putting creme/milk in tea to give it a bit of a richness.

Teabags are also a fairly terrible way of making tea.  Real tea leaves are so much better.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 08:31:31 PM »
Um... So what, you only leave it to brew for half a minute or something?  You have to let it brew for at least five minutes to get the taste right, and even then that's probably not long enough.  Tea is not a drink to be made in haste.  It needs time to let the flavours infuse the water, otherwise it just ends up as, um, brown water.

Ahem... Anyways, boy do I love my tea~  I'm especially fond of that good old classic, Earl Grey, but I've started to branch out a bit in my tea connoisseur-ism.  Most notably, there's this really nice cafe in Edinburgh hidden away just right so that it's nice, cosy and private, and it sells these really nice herbal blends.  My personal favourite is a delicious peppermint-y one with just a hint of bergamot, just perfect for a nice lazy day indoors (and believe me, I've been having lots of those lately!).  Mmmm~

Teabags are also a fairly terrible way of making tea.  Real tea leaves are so much better.
Only uncultured oaths use teabags~  Seriously though, I agree.  You really need to go out and buy an infusor and some nice, loose blends or something, otherwise your tea won't be up to par.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 09:02:22 PM »
That requires too much effort though. I haven't had much, but I like peppermint with honey.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 09:11:26 PM »
Peppermint, apple cinnamon, and chamomile are the ones I've had most recently that I can remember.  Chai tea is what heaven is made of, though.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 09:34:08 PM »
That requires too much effort though. I haven't had much, but I like peppermint with honey.
Yeah but it's like complaining and saying all coffee sucks when all you've had is gas station and McDonalds.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 09:35:59 PM »
Another thing is you just might not like a certain kind of tea no matter how "properly done" it is.

I really don't like the taste of green tea, black teas all the way.  Some people are the exact opposite.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 09:38:46 PM »
Of course.  Tea isn't just one flavor.  There's a whole variety of flavors.  Tea is just a catchall for what amounts to "leaves brewed in hot water".

Black tea varieties taste nothing like green tea which taste nothing like herbal teas.  Then you can have some wacky teas like orange blossom or cherry blossom or other varieties of white tea.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 09:42:09 PM »
I really love Chai Tea, although it's a more expensive than other kinds of teas in my area. I also like Green Tea, Black Tea, and Earl Grey Tea. I like most of them hot, but I also like iced black tea and iced green tea.

Fossil Goo

• UZUMAKI POKEMON
  • OMUNAITO
    • Doodle Blog I have
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 09:42:34 PM »
Apple cinnamon and spice chai for me. Preferably with a bit of sugar in the former and honey in the latter.

I never make it on my own, but my parents and sister do from time to time and then I tend to leap on the bandwagon because tea mellows me out.

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 09:43:51 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5jTXdiBwas

As we reach the end of our civilisation, it is perhaps a sign of the times that tea-drinnking in our fair land is sadly on the decline. The bye-ways are devoid of any tea, and all you can get is that disgusting drink, coffee. The situation is very grave. Something must be done.

Drink tea for the love of God
Drink tea, put the kettle on

Tea is a marvellous drink; everyone loves a nice cup of tea. It breaks through the barriers of class and status, from the worker in the factory canteen to Her Majesty the Queen. Everyone loves a nice cup of tea.

Put them on

Sixty-two billion cups of tea were drunk in Britain alone last year. That's not bad, but we can do better than that! Tea offers a moment of transendence away from the mad and frantic world. Tea is a gift from our creator.

Tea comes from God in Heaven
No stinking factory
Drink tea in the morning
Drink tea all day long

Come on everybody, sing it to the world!

Put them on !

since i was a child, i loved tea.all kinds of brands and flavors has passed for my mouth. n_n

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 10:05:22 PM »
Peppermint tea and green tea. They warm me up and have a nice kick in flavor.

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 01:34:37 AM »
Plain black/green/genmai tea is the best type of drink.  Anyone that puts sugar, creme, or other additives in their tea is doing it wrong.  I mean, why would you want to mask such a wonderful flavor?

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 01:37:15 AM »
Anyone that puts sugar, creme, or other additives in their tea is doing it wrong.  I mean, why would you want to mask such a wonderful flavor?

Some teas taste better with milk though. That's why we get milk tea.

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 01:43:12 AM »
Some teas taste better with milk though. That's why we get milk tea.
Plain black tea tastes better IMO.  Everyone is different though.

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 01:47:02 AM »
Ever tried bubble tea?

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 01:54:41 AM »
Ever tried bubble tea?
I've had it a few times.  I always ask them to not put in any sugar though, because they always make it too god damned sweet.  Also, everyone here just calls it boba tea.

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 02:03:22 AM »
I've had it a few times.  I always ask them to not put in any sugar though, because they always make it too god damned sweet.  Also, everyone here just calls it boba tea.

I have a sweet tooth so I try to get some sugar on mine.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 02:06:53 AM »
I don't like tea but I don't mind making it for others. Recently I've gained a craving to serve cardamom tea, but don't know how it's supposed to taste. Anybody care to gimmie ideas?

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 06:38:31 AM »
The best tea is the tea that the Japanese sit down and brush graciously into a bowl and perform heavily ritualized gracious movements to drink and congratulate each other's gestures of graciousness in the very end of the ceremony. Why? BECAUSE IT IS WABI.

ARE YOU A WABI ENOUGH DUDE TO SIT THROUGH A HALF HOUR LONG TEA CEREMONY?
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 09:03:54 AM »
I really dig chamomile and orange tea. I brew my own for the latter, from dried orange peels, and steal my mom's chamomile for the former. Mmmm, delicious.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2010, 09:16:38 AM »
That's because whomever is making your tea sucks at making it.  Most people don't realize you really should be putting creme/milk in tea to give it a bit of a richness.

Actually, I disagree with this statement as a catch-all. Depending on what tea you have, it is either better or worse or simply mortal sin to put creme/milk in it. For instance, I would never put milk in my fucking Iron Goddess of Mercy. That's mortal sin. You'd get burned at the stake for doing something like that. Not only is that stupid, it is also wrong. On the other hand, you can do very well with putting milk in some Western teas, and it will come out to be glorious. Honestly, I'd chalk that kind of thing down to taste. As triangles mentioned earlier, some people just really can't stand tea. I'll use coffee as an example. Lots of people hate their coffee black, yet I always have my coffee black. People tell me that liking black coffee is an acquired taste. I... have no idea personally!

Plain black/green/genmai tea is the best type of drink.  Anyone that puts sugar, creme, or other additives in their tea is doing it wrong.  I mean, why would you want to mask such a wonderful flavor?

See, this is what I mean. You don't put milk in green or genmai tea because that's doing it wrong.

But you can't say the same thing for Western teas, where putting milk in it, depending on the person, can actually make it taste better for them.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2010, 09:20:05 AM »
Why would there be any such thing as a right or wrong way to drink tea? Whatever makes it taste better for you is right, after all.

Purism is silly. :derp:

ArteShy

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 09:34:11 AM »
Yaaaaay, i got a tea cup today that looks like the one Remi is using.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:35:55 AM by Artemis »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2010, 09:45:20 AM »
Why would there be any such thing as a right or wrong way to drink tea? Whatever makes it taste better for you is right, after all.

Purism is silly. :derp:

Go put some milk/creme in a green tea and tell me how it tastes.

I don't think there's anyone in this world who would enjoy milk inside green tea. I mean, I'm not denying that milk can make tea taste good or bad depending on the person. But there's a thin line between what makes a drink enjoyable and what makes a drink NOT A DRINK :fail:

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »
Matters of taste can be totally different from person to person.'but strangely enough, absolutely everyone seems to agree with SOME things. For example, nobody likes eating the peel of an orange or lemon, nobody. It doesn't matter if it's unhealthy or digestible or what. Poison for example might taste good to some people. Dogs for example love eating poisonous stuff (chocolate, motor oil, etc), but they too never seem to want to scarf down an orange peel.

That's not all, seems like everyone thinks tigers are good looking, or jellyfish are cool looking.. On the flip side, nobody seems to think a roach looks good. Nobody thinks sewage smells nice.

I had better examples at one point, wtf were they, argh. Anyway, point is milk in green tea is definitely one of those "weighted" matters of taste. Probably not as absute, probably
MOre along the lines of ketchup. I mean most people don't like ketchup in their breakfast pancakes or whatever, but some people do...