Author Topic: MotK Jazz/Rock Band (Starters)  (Read 45155 times)

MayKissingDoveWyks

• I can't stop being a perv!
MotK Jazz/Rock Band (Starters)
« on: November 21, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »
"So...basically, I'm doing a sort of casting call for an MotK Jazz Combo, mostly for touhou remixes though open to other things. I realize it's difficult to actually do sessions together over the internet, but I think it can be workable possibly using Skype or some other conference call stuff, and maybe using Audacity for recording individual parts and putting them together. I mean, it shouldn't be impossible. If anyone has any ideas in this vein, please provide them."

This is going to remain the same basis as before. We can do improvs. If anyone wants to provide a rhythm line to create another song for us to work on, that's great! But most cases, I will try and attempt to provide a bass line/riff to get us going. Touhou arranges first (once I can work most of the themes), and then some original stuff. (La Villa Strangiato Squonk covers would be fun to do as well!) Like above, this is open to other things as well.

Please come to the IRC channel, #motkjazz, on the ppirc.net to come talk to me or the secretary, UK. Also so we can exchange information and ideas frequently. UK and I usually will be on during the day according to GMT-5.

Current Projects:
Phantom Ensemble
Improvs Holding off on this until I can figure some shit out.
Anything else
La Villa Strangiato/Cygnus X-1 (If anyone's in on that)

I want reconfirmation on this list:

Alto Sax:
UncertainKitten
animecello

Drums:
Watermelonz

Piano/Keyboard:
MusicalMeme
Drake (Maybe)

Trumpet:
Nobu

Clarinet:
triangles (maybe)
Zakenna

Flute:
MusicalMeme

Bass Guitar:
ghost333
SkyMovingSideways

Regular Guitar:
SkyMovingSideways (checked in)

All the tests are later in the thread (around pages 2-4) but any later stuff will be posted normally.

Completed songs will be posted here in the OP.

Lasty, let's have a jolly good time with this!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:08:01 PM by 四季身動き横行 »

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
MotK Jazz Band (Or maybe something else, it's just I'm best at jazz)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 04:04:34 AM »
Preserved for History bullshit:

OK, so, earlier this year, I had an idea for creating an MotK jazz band, but I forgot about it. But, in #meido tonight we were discussing things and stuff about music, and that reminded me this.

So...basically, I'm doing a sort of casting call for an MotK Jazz Combo, mostly for touhou remixes though open to other things. I realize it's difficult to actually do sessions together over the internet, but I think it can be workable possibly using Skype or some other conference call stuff, and maybe using Audacity for recording individual parts and putting them together. I mean, it shouldn't be impossible. If anyone has any ideas in this vein, please provide them.

But, right now, I want warm bodies. But I'll warn you, I'm really out of practice, and bad at theory, so we might be slow starting. I play Alto Sax. I'll list the other instruments I want. If yours isn't listed, but you are still interested, feel free to make a case for how your instrument would contribute.

All that said, feel free to sign up, and I'll probably ask for auditions later if we have a lot of interest.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:55:41 AM by UncertainKitten »

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
Re: MotK Jazz Band (Or maybe something else, it's just I'm best at jazz)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 04:17:51 AM »
Signing up for piano!

However, could we do a rock band instead? Or at least, sometimes do rock tracks? I tend to prefer that over jazz. (Though jazz DOES have its awesome moments... Where's that one Till When arrange? )

EDIT: Here it is! (May be unnecessary, I just happen to love this arrange)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:20:50 AM by ShiningDrake »

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 04:22:53 AM »
Depends on what everyone else says. I mean, sax kinda doesn't have a lot of rock versatility, and unless it's prog rock it's...um...well...rock...isn't that interesting. At all.

Drake

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 04:37:32 AM »
i play piano

my piano sucks though

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 04:38:12 AM »
I presume you are still volunteering, Drake?

MayKissingDoveWyks

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 04:42:37 AM »
I'm trying to get my hands on a Bass Guitar, but I have some skills with a "Not Bass Guitar :V"

I work with a Jazz Ensemble at school, so this might be fun...

I don't have much knowledge in Music Theory, except maybe for some rhythms and applications.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:44:22 AM by SkyMovingSideways »

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 04:45:58 AM »
I'll put you down for "Not Bass" Guitar then and change it if your situation changes :P.

Drake

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 04:48:07 AM »
Of course. It's actually entirely possible I buy a hold pedal, run over to Best Buy and record off their public keyboards :V

MayKissingDoveWyks

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 04:49:33 AM »
I'll put you down for "Not Bass" Guitar then and change it if your situation changes :P.

So wait? One instrument per?
You said probable auditions, nvm.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 04:51:42 AM »
Yeah. Basically, I've put a lot up there and will decide what sort of band make up will work once I have an idea of what's available. If there are a lot of people, we might be able to double instruments in interesting ways. If there are only a few though, I can't imagine I can get away with more than one person per instrument.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 05:36:51 AM »
Yo, the atelier is over there, two boards up.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 07:21:17 AM »
I play piano, and I'm really good! :V

But yeah, I'm interested, as long as I don't have to improvise. I'm terrible at that.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
You all know what I play and how I sound by clicking the sig link  :V

Though fair warning due to my job and OMG HOUSE GET there is no way I can contribute to arranging or mixing.  Just mixing 3-4 tracks for my own stuff was crazy enough for me to manage.  Heck, I'm not sure what sort of availability I'll have because I sure haven't had any time to buckle down and practice/record my own music stuff up (sitting on an arrange of Extend Ash on my music stand that I need to record from, uh, July :fail:)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 10:33:23 AM »
Buy me a vibraphone and I will play vibraphone.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 03:06:16 PM »
Depends on what everyone else says. I mean, sax kinda doesn't have a lot of rock versatility, and unless it's prog rock it's...um...well...rock...isn't that interesting. At all.

* Gpop pulls your tail

Now...what were you saying about rock? :/

PS: I might have a friend that'll definitely be interested in playing sax. I know two drummers as well buuuut....I dunno if they're willing to play Touhou music (one doesn't care about the series, the other is busy as hell). And I got some people who definitely plays music over at the Anime Club and are really interested into Touhou so I can check with them :P

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »
Yo, the atelier is over there, two boards up.

Yo, a mod named Kilgamayan told me to put this here, and your name isn't blue, but ~*~thank you~*~ for your concern ^-^.

@Fightest: I'll put you down and figure out the details
@triangles: Should I even put you down then? I'd like to make practice at least semi regular, well, group practice.
@N Forza: As cool as that would be, that assumes I have ~*~money~*~
@GPop: If you think any of those will work, go for it. What type of sax though? I'd like to avoid doubling sax parts if possible unless I have a lot more people than I think I will. But a Tenor, Baritone, or Soprano sax could be cool.

Kerigis

• *Gnaws Donut*
  • Bow down before the true administrator!
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 06:53:08 PM »
I'd totally support this as a Trumpet part!

However, currently I do not own a trumpet. Isn't it sad? Yes it is. ;_;

Powerup punchin'!

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 07:53:47 PM »
I can do trumpet. \o/ I can take Keri's place until he gets a trumpet, or we can just be dueling duo-buddies, or w/e.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 09:34:39 PM »
I can play bass, mandolin, guitar or banjo, but all I own are an acoustic guitar and a banjo.

If it matters, I'd prefer banjo. Not sure how jazzy that is. Unless you're going for a Dixieland sound.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

PC

• riot pls nerf trondamere
  • poultry shout too strong
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 09:46:22 PM »
Piano (only if really drastically last resort though ahahaha my piano is all out of tune and I'm out of practice :V )

I can do clarinet (and bass clarinet if needed) though. Rather prefer clarinet so I wouldn't have to haul the other one to and from school, but either is fine.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 10:48:08 PM »
@Keri: Well, lemme know when you do.
@Nobu: Awesome, putting you down for it.
@Ammy: I'd prefer acoustic guitar, to be honest. You can do cool shit with acoustic.
@PC:  We apparently have piano players out the ass, so I'll put you down for clarinet.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 11:08:05 PM »

@triangles: Should I even put you down then? I'd like to make practice at least semi regular, well, group practice.

I doubt I could make any sort of coordinated Skype practice if that's what your asking (I also am really not at all certain that'd work very well) but that's also an issue with timezones as well as us full-time school/job folks.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 11:10:40 PM »
I'm not entirely sure how to do this myself. Skype comes to mind first, but it's really shitty software, at least for me. I'd LIKE to find something better for conferencing, and am quite open to ideas.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 11:14:11 PM »
I don't have the time to do any of my own digging, but I'm sure there are resources online to help with this project. Especially with all the buzz about 'Youtube bands' and the like, I'm sure you can get some good ideas by poking around and seeing what those groups have done.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Drake

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 03:18:52 AM »
everyone just meet at my house k

Zakenna

• fomer Internet tough guy
  • Ahh After 10,000 years I'm free!
    • polyvinylcrush
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 05:07:03 AM »
mmm I used to play clarinet but it's been 3 years since I've done anything serious with it . I've been playing the recorder lately though but it's still rough.
either way I'd be down to record something as long as someone actually does the arranging(sheet music) stuff. I can possibly lend a hand at it but I'm rather busy and rather rusty at the music theory stuff (last time I took it was freshman year of college back about 2 years ago)
also I don't think skype would be a good idea. With the delay inherent in conference calls/VoIP it'll make dragging/rushing a compounded problem. Especially if everyone is compensating due to the lack of a conductor. The best route is to distribute a synthesized version of the arrangement  and a synthesized version of the part. That way you have a level bar for everyone to practice with. Then you layer everyone's recordings together to make a digi ensemble. leave skype for the pep talks and organizational stuff.

Another problem that would come up is the final product how do we record it? If we're all using different standards of microphones/sound cards/equalizers(or lack thereof)
I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there but thats just a thought to chew on it really shouldn't impact the practice part of this though.

Flute:
1. triangles (maybe)

actually I think she plays clarinet...all the videos in her youtube channel are of clarinet

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 05:29:32 AM »
...I feel like a derpsicle! I'll fix it. For some reason I thought triangles played flute :S.

And thanks for the advice Zakenna, that's actually a really good idea. The way you suggested.

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 05:30:50 AM »
I can play drums but I dont have a set :V

I can also play pianooo

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 05:32:57 AM »
Think you'll be getting a set any time soon, Suikama? Because drums are *really* important.