Author Topic: PS2 emulation thread/questions  (Read 2566 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
PS2 emulation thread/questions
« on: June 18, 2009, 02:23:55 AM »
I have a ps2, along with some ps2 games. But I've always wondered about using an emulator for some ps2 games on my computer for a few reasons. The biggest reason is in hopes I can edit or cheat the game somewhat.

Now I'm not expecting elaborate rom hacks like snes roms had when they were emulated. But I AM wondering if it's possible to say, play a ps2 rpg, and have characters in your party that you aren't supposed to have at that point in the game. (say a certain character doesn't join you until mid-way thru the game, can you "cheat" and have them in your party at the start, hopefully at a lower level but not neccesarily). I did some hunting around, and so far haven't found much yet except for cheating numbers (changing your hp, level, stats, etc). But nothing that could suggest that I could do the above. I haven't searched TOO much though because quite frankly I got a little ps2 emulator researched out just trying to get my emulator to work (the bios thing was a bish, my computer is nowhere near my ps2 *cries*).

If anybody has any knowledge on this topic I'd appreciate it. I'd ask people on the pscx2 forums (or whatever its called). But I don't really want to register and all that jazz to a new forum simply for 1 question.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
Re: PS2 emulation thread/questions
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 02:30:31 AM »
I think it depends on the game to be honest. I know for a fact that Gameshark codes exist for Final Fantasy IX to edit players that are in your battle party. People do this to do Beatrix games and such other things.

If anything search through Gameshark codes for the game you want to mess with and see if there's anything like that available. Other than that, I'm not to sure about actually messing with the rom itself.

PS2 emulation eh? I hope your computer is hella advanced for that. My poor old laptop can't even emulate 3D DS games without it being choppy or slowish.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: PS2 emulation thread/questions
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 02:35:38 AM »
Yeah it generally runs gameplay at half speed, menus at full speed so far. But then again I just barely got it working. I'm sure I can modify the gpu settings and whatnot to benefit it eventually.

Sad thing is I can prob run it at full speed if I had vista (which I'm not getting). Vista's DX10 is unfortunately the API of choice for ps2 emulation developers. Every game I have tried so far claims to be double or triple the FPS if you use dx10 instead of 9.

edit: just occured to me you might be telling me to play it on the ps2 and get a gameshark. I don't want to for a few reasons:

1: "cheating" capabilities of an emulator is greater than that of a gameshark is most likely... muuuch easier to make up your own "codes" too.

2: Some features not involved with cheating are not available like that. For example the inability to record game footage on my hd without crummy quality or expensive equipment.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 03:01:58 AM by Ghaleon »