Author Topic: New Touhou Wiki!  (Read 108564 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: New Touhou Wiki!
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2010, 05:52:32 AM »
I lol'ed at the lines from Sarah and then the reaction of Marrona and you. Good show.

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »
I'd heard about this and was about to look things up relating to Touhou so I figured MoTK was the place to come and find the new wiki.

I'll do what I can with networking to try and get it out there even though I'm not in any super Touhou communities, I might be able to help~

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2010, 09:10:58 AM »
Actually, if anyone is interested in how the Wikia staff are likely to act I'd like to point out what went on with WoWWiki.  They recently forked as well.

The only really annoying thing is that random users will still stumble upon the Wikia page via search engines and the "duplicate" content means that the Wikia entries are going to take priority over the new wiki's with regards to search results.  The "best" thing would be for the active editors to make sure that they don't post any new content over at Wikia so when fans are looking for new material (whether it be about new game releases (official or otherwise), manga, music, etc) the new wiki is more likely to show up.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2010, 09:28:50 AM »
wow, all this wikia forking seems like war. :ohdear:
I'll be sure to contribute to the new wiki if I can!

KennyMan666

• Precursor
  • The Saga
    • One Piece: Pure Corruption
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2010, 09:35:45 AM »
The one editing the links on TVTropes would have been me. If I goofed and grabbed the wrong link... weird, I'm fairly sure I checked exactly what part needed to be replaced. Hopefully I didn't do that in every place. That would have been dumb of me.

Edit: No, my edits were correct, as far as I can tell. Must have been someone else who started doing it. I took care of all the Touhou Project sub-pages first and then started going on a wikia link genocide, but only got so far...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:42:58 AM by KennyMan666 »
Fly & High!!

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
  • I, the Fallen Angel, will knock you all down!
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2010, 03:05:50 PM »
For what it's worth, I went through the TVTropes Touhou page and sub pages just a few minutes ago. Currently waiting for the Characters page to be checked back in, which'll be in two minutes. Couldn't find a single Wikia link as of the moment, so props to you. Might have to check back every now and again for a while, in case some less knowledgeable but well meaning (Or maybe even less well intentioned) troper posts links to Wikia.

In any case, looks like the scouring's taken a good hold. Hate to see something like this have to happen, but really, some companies do that. If there's anything else I can do to help, say the word.

Edit: Character page is clean. I'm a bit too lazy to go through every single trope looking for links to clean up though.  :colonveeplusalpha:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:08:29 PM by Kirin »

« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »
There are ways. (I mean, I don't know what everyone's hit already and Google hasn't caught up with it, but ...)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2010, 12:51:33 AM »
On a related note, it seems the same is happening with the Nethack wiki. This might be old news to some of you, but the wikia site now has "(old site)" next to its name in Google search results, with http://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page further down the page.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2010, 01:19:42 AM »
I think only the admin has the power to do that.

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2010, 04:29:55 AM »
Huh. Would be handy if you could do that with the Touhou Wikia page.

On other news, thanks to Muffin's pointer, I'm continuing a scouring of the TVTropes pages. Crowning Music of Awesome and Genius Bonus is now clean.

Edit: On the TVTropes Memes page for Touhou, Yukkuris have their own Wikia. Should we do something about that or is that out of our jurisdiction? xD
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:32:59 AM by Kirin »

« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2010, 04:40:28 AM »
I do not plan to make a Yukkuri wiki, I'm afraid =)

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2010, 04:47:52 AM »
Well, it'd be easy enough to inform the yukkuwiki's admins about wikia being a dick.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2010, 04:48:59 AM »
Please, God, no, have nothing to do with Yukkuris.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2010, 04:50:59 AM »
Well, as far as I know, the Touhou Wikia crusade on TVTropes is over. I replaced a few links in rather interesting pages (One of them being a Troper's Tales page and one in the Fetish Fuel page), but refrained from editing a troper's own troper page. S'far as I can see, it's all cleansed.

« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2010, 06:32:54 AM »
I'm not sure how copyrights and such work with these wikis, so apologies if this question has a simple answer.

I was planning on putting up some new pages/translations for some pages in the new wiki in the next few weeks; I would assume this is the best way to differentiate this new wiki from the wikia version. However, what would happen if someone (regardless of whether their intentions are good or bad) decides to copy over edits from the new wiki to the old one? Would there be any recourse that can prevent that from occurring, or will it be something that will just have to be tolerated?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2010, 06:38:25 AM »
Welcome to the internet, it doesn't matter what "warnings" or anything you do, you can have your work copied.

If you don't like it, don't make wiki edits.  That's what it boils down to.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2010, 06:47:05 AM »
I would say tolerated. There's not much we can do. Even if all this hadn't happened and we were still on Wikia, if someone were to start up a Touhou wiki and copy everything we had on the Wikia over to their site, there's nothing we can do to stop it. It's not like we can sue them or anything.

Napalnman1231

• Is that so~?
  • Nice Farming weather!
    • My gallery art
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2010, 02:12:58 AM »
At least they kept the Spanish version, well to the point. I like the new design and everything, but I think that more could be done to make it even more bigger

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2010, 07:19:33 PM »
Well, I just went through all 33 of my videos with the new link.

Also, the new wiki is on Google's first page (provided you just type in "touhou wiki") So that's good news!
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »
A wild wikia staff member appears.
Again.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2010, 09:15:26 PM »
I feel like sending a letter to Jimmy Wales about this whole thing.  =|

[Edit]  Yeah, she reverted the link on the mainpage again.  She's not responding at all to my previous post there before.  9_9
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:21:37 PM by Momiji »

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2010, 11:01:21 PM »
Well, she did leave a message on the talk page, still thinking that there's going to be a community left or something.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2010, 11:12:07 PM »
Well, she did leave a message on the talk page, still thinking that there's going to be a community left or something.
Well, people are still editing pages there.  It might be worth informing users in the Random Translations thread to post on the new wiki, and one of the most active users I see posting at the old wiki is also aware of the new wiki's existence since he mentioned that the link on pooshlmer.org (main page, not the image board) still linked to the old wiki.

Also, this page is displaying an error that the admin will need to take a look at.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2010, 11:20:19 PM »
I"m doing my best to leave a message on the talk page of every editor of the old wiki to remind them, and i'm not alone either. This probably will persist for a while, though.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2010, 01:25:34 AM »
Unless you guys already know about this: the music note by character names doesn't work on the new wiki yet, though the bar at the bottom of the browser says something about the .ogg file.

Then again, I'm using a mac and this mac has never figured out how to play them.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2010, 01:58:52 AM »
Known issue, I'll upload these along with the replay file histories after I'm done updating the new wiki with the edits made to wikia after the move.

Unless someone does this first.

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2010, 02:40:50 AM »
Also, this page is displaying an error that the admin will need to take a look at.

This issue is resolved, thank you for bringing it to my attention =)

« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2010, 11:10:34 PM »
So you can bump the new wiki's search engine ranks by editing and updating its pages?

If that's the case, I might as well start posting Mediafire mirror links for the most recently released doujin translations earlier than usual.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:13:26 PM by grgspunk »

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2010, 02:25:40 AM »
So you can bump the new wiki's search engine ranks by editing and updating its pages?
Yep, it definitely helps.  We're at about 150-200 edits a day right now.  I don't think the old wiki's been edited that much since we left.

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2010, 06:53:10 AM »
I think what is going on here is the fact that Wikia wants money, if you look at the bottom of all the wikis at Wikia they now have a little click here thing for advertising. It looks like it was edited on there! So now Wikia is stabbing everyone in the back now for posting spam on their own wikis! Yes, Wikia is following the tracks of Youtube/Google. Good idea on moving the wiki, now we are coming out of slavery of this wiki farm!!
Cirno the Ice Fairy~