Author Topic: New Touhou Wiki!  (Read 108572 times)

Momiji

• Cya
New Touhou Wiki!
« on: November 19, 2010, 12:17:38 AM »
If you haven't heard by now, Wikia is doing some scumbaggery with the wikis they host.  As such, we've moved Touhou Wiki off Wikia and on to it's own server.  The new url isssss....

http://www.touhouwiki.net/

If you had an existing account on Wikia, just re-register using the exact same username and all your edits should be properly credited.

One last thing, there may be missing things here and there.  If you catch something missing that exists on the Wikia wiki, just copy it over.

We also have an IRC channel, come visit at #touhouwiki on irc.ppirc.net.

[UPDATE]  Okay, this is a call to arms.  Wikia's removed the links to the new wiki off the old one, and they're starting to go about putting new people in charge of it.  Someone's put the link back up, but it's only a matter of time before Wikia starts banning people.  Also, the new wiki's mysteriously fallen off Google search responses.  We can't let this nonsense continue.  If you have any sites that link to Touhou Wiki, make sure you point to the new site.  If you know anyone with a site, or go to any sites with links there, make sure the links go where they should.  Spread the word as much as you can.  The more links to the new wiki, the more it'll compete with Wikia's zombie wikis.  This is WAR.  We can't lose to the undeath that is Wikia.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:29:49 PM by Momiji »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: New Touhou Wiki!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 01:03:01 AM »
First.

No seriously yay, this means no more stupid 10 second wait when exiting the damn page for some reason right? yay

edit: The adds, they're gone, it's beautiful. it's like my monitor size doubled.

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 01:18:37 AM »
lol my ancient touhou fics are still there

gj momiji(and team), ilu

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

jigglyppuff8

• Speed Anime Trance 8
  • Alco Dolce
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 02:04:47 AM »
I was skeptical about this at first, but now I'm convinced. Wikipedia style and admins who are actually active. Everything went better then expected.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 03:13:19 AM »
My bookmark has been updated. Thanks, guys, you're awesome.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 03:16:48 AM »
Looks like there's been some job openings at Wikia.  I wonder what's happened....   :V

And anyway, thanks for the great responses, I wasn't sure how people would feel about moving.  But it really needs updating if it's going to supplant the Wikia version.  If you know anyone who edits the wiki, tell them of the new url.  I'd go posting about it on the Wikia wiki but they've been banning people who do that sort've thing, and reverting their edits.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:19:45 AM by Momiji »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 03:44:36 AM »
moment of derp, It didn't occur to me that you were responsible (even if only partially) for the move yourself, thought you were just updating us with the news. Thanks for the hosting >=).

If I may ask though, what is this scumbaggery?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 04:03:44 AM »
Wikia's been forcing their new wiki theme on all of the hosted wikis there, which has been breaking a lot of previously-set wiki styles.  And when a wiki tries to leave, they invoke their "wikis we consider valuable will remain open" bit and essentially hold a fork of the wikis after their main editor corps leave to the new wiki.  There's been some other really nasty stuff I've heard about, but it might only be rumors so I won't get into it 'till I know for sure.

They've also been demoting wiki admin/founders who want to move their wikis, banning people who post about moving, and reverting edits that post info about moving and urls to new wiki sites.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 04:14:05 AM »
* Jana pat-pats Momiji~

Congratulations on getting it up, and good work!

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 04:32:19 AM »
Thumbs up to this! >w<
Thanks very much~

Quote from: Momiji
They've also been demoting wiki admin/founders who want to move their wikis, banning people who post about moving, and reverting edits that post info about moving and urls to new wiki sites.
Whoa, something negative seems to be up behind Wiki o_o;
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 05:58:36 AM »
I figured something was up, but couldn't figure out what.

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 08:49:20 AM »
Out of curiousity, how is the wiki supported and funded? How much do you figure you'll need to keep it running?

Dorian Loup

• Lurker
  • I'm a member now o/
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 10:49:32 AM »
Awesome job! Thank you. When I started to get interested in Touhou I spend hours and hours on this wiki, so having it without all the annoying ads will be really more enjoyable.

Now, what do we do to give it a better Google ranking?
French noob!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Bookmark and Context Search edited accordingly. Great job, Meejee!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 03:47:31 PM »
Now, what do we do to give it a better Google ranking?

Link to it.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 03:59:17 PM »
Whoa, something negative seems to be up behind Wiki o_o;
Isn't intellectual hegemony a wonderful thing?

Wikia never struck me as particularly nice. Getting a lot of "if there is to be a wiki, it MUST have us involved!" from them right now. Momi, am I too far off the mark?

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 04:23:32 PM »
Out of curiousity, how is the wiki supported and funded? How much do you figure you'll need to keep it running?

there is a handy donation box in the sidebar if you feel so inclined =) Unfortunately, I do not have a way to estimate the kind of traffic it will bring once it becomes popular.

yukiluck

• Janitor
  • Argentina
    • Yukiluck
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 04:41:39 PM »
Question: What will happen with the wikias in other lenguages? I'm the spanish touhou wikia's admin, is there something i can do?

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 05:55:31 PM »
Much better.

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 08:13:08 PM »
Thank you SO MUCH.  The new wikia style makes my eyes bleed.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 11:04:38 PM »
Oh, this is great.

Thank you, Momi!
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 11:46:01 PM »
I'm curious because yes, is the old Touhou Wiki gonna stay up? >.>

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 12:06:34 AM »
Wikia has stated they will not remove the old wiki because they do not wish to support a migration. It is up to the community to decide what direction they wish to move in.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 01:43:09 AM »
I'm curious because yes, is the old Touhou Wiki gonna stay up? >.>
Basically, what Chloe said.  Wikia has a clause where they'll take over a wiki from getting deleted by it's admins and users if it's considered "valuable" by Wikia.  Unfortunately, they're now using that across every wiki hosted there, so that even if a certain wiki gets moved it leaves a fork still on Wikia, causing confusion over which is the "active" one.

Also, just a heads up,  Chloe's the one who's hosting the wiki.  ^.^
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:48:29 AM by Momiji »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 02:06:59 AM »
Wikia has stated they will not remove the old wiki because they do not wish to support a migration. It is up to the community to decide what direction they wish to move in.

Well, I'm just happy to have the Wiki theme by default again. So thanks!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 03:30:58 AM »
Thanks chloe, you're a bro. Hopefully this doesn't wind up being a big financial burden for you, though.

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 11:35:46 AM »
I'm worried about the two separate wikis having separate edits though :ohdear:

There's probably someone who could...like, monitor the wiki edit logs & compare them, but that would be very tedious for the person doing that and...well...... poor wiki monitor-er ;_;

Hnhnn, would probably best to contact them major & minor wiki editors, like Momiji mentioned.
Quote from: Momiji
If you know anyone who edits the wiki, tell them of the new url.
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 06:08:07 PM »
When is the move going to be fully finalized, though? Pooshlmer hasn't gave his word on it and on the new wiki it seems only edits up to about the beginning of October were synced.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 06:59:35 PM »
The new wiki should be current up to the point where we started importing content from the Wikia wiki, which was about a week or two ago.  On top of that, other editors have been working to update anything remaining that's out of date.  Only thing is, it's hard to convince people to move by directly pointing them off the Wikia wiki without invoking the wrath of Wikia.  We already got their attention when Pooshlmer requested a full database dump for us (which ended up not working anyway =/).

Also, Pooshlmer was quite slow in responding to us for awhile, but he did update the Site Notice today to point at the new wiki.  Unfortunately there's only a few places you'll actually see it, so you'd have to post a link on the mainpage to get the message across.  And that brings us back to the previous issue.

So basically, it's a live site, and it being "finalized" just depends on how much people edit stuff there.  In the mean time, we're trying to replace functionality of Wikia's proprietary Mediawiki extensions with normal ones available to MW.

[Edit]  I take that back, it looks like they did manage a move post on the WoWWiki mainpage.  I guess the same could be done for touhou.wikia.com too.

Thing is, we can just up and move the site lock, stock, and barrel.  There's always going to be the older Wikia site, and hopefully as time progresses and the older site gets more and more outdated compared to the new one, people will stop using it.  It sucks but it's what all of the wikis moving off Wikia have had to deal with.  For example, WoWWiki (Wikia version) vs. Wowpedia (new version).  Notice there's no indication of the move...?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:17:44 PM by Momiji »

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 07:24:40 PM »
Also, Pooshlmer was quite slow in responding to us for awhile, but he did update the Site Notice today to point at the new wiki. 

Uh ? He updated it a week ago. :V