Author Topic: Rosenkreuzstilette (v2)  (Read 32093 times)

Letty Whiterock

Rosenkreuzstilette (v2)
« on: April 21, 2009, 04:27:30 PM »

Homepage: http://kurotama.sakura.ne.jp/
English RKS HQ: http://schwer-muta.blogspot.com/

What is Rosenkreuzstilette?

Rosenkreuzstilette, or RKS for short, is a 2D action, platforming game created by the doujin game circle [erka:es]. Released at Comiket 73 on December 31, 2007, Rosenkreuzstilette is described on its own case as "2D Scroll Rock Action," no doubt in tribute to the game that it copies. RKS uses various game mechanics and locales taken straight from other Megaman games and is known for referencing various other video games including Castlevania and Touhou Project, using an often humorous combination of German and Japanese languages, and featuring a soundtrack that consists entirely of free music by different Japanese artists.

Story

Thousands of years ago, there existed people who could use magic. However, as time went on, the numbers of those who could use the magical arts were beginning to wane. The few remaining who were born to have this power, known as Magi, were, unfortunately, brought into a world where beings of such a nature were fated to persecution and hatred from the Holy Empire and the Orthodox Church. Finally, a man by the name of Rosenkreuz rose up with his eight followers and, using the tremendous powers they held, fought against the Empire. Eventually, he offered his own life to them in exchange for the desistance of the persecution. He was granted this wish, and with his death, the remaining Magi-users were allowed to co-exist within the Empire as members of their military. Those Magi-users were known as "RKS: The Blades of the Rose-Cross". Unfortunately, such a peace did not last, as contempt for their existence was too much for the Empire to hide. Eventually, the persecution began once more.

However, this time, the Magi-users were not going to stand idly as the Empire brought them back down, disrespecting their former leader Rosenkreuz. With this, the current leader of RKS, Graf Michael Sepperin, commanded Freudia Neuwahl to lead a rebellion against the Empire. With the Empire destroyed, no one could stand in the way of RKS and their newfound journey to create a land where they can exist without being hated.

Spiritia Rosenberg, the heroine of the story, works as a training instructor for the Imperial Army. Upon returning from a six-month training session, she is greeted by Iris Sepperin, Michael Sepperin's daughter. Suddenly, a dragon crashes into the building and captures Iris. Spiritia's fairy friend, Lilli, attempts to chase the dragon, who appears to be under some sort of mind control, and without warning, the entire area is under attack. Spiritia travels to find the source of the attack and discovers that it is none other than Freudia, Spiritia's childhood friend. Freudia explains the situation to Spiritia, but Spiritia does not like this idea and condemns it. She believes that there must be another way to gain acceptance from the Empire. She then takes it upon herself to stop all the members of RKS, eventually working her way up to Michael Sepperin himself.

RKS Freudenstachel

A pseudo-sequel of sorts starring Freudia Neuwahl was announced with an original release of Summer Comiket 76; however, [erka:es] has stated that due to certain circumstances, they will be unable to release it by then, so it has a projected release time of Winter Comiket 77, a fitting date for the heroine in question. Aside from a collection of fan-made bosses, not much is known about the sequel. A web demo free of the bugs displayed in the original Comiket demo has yet to be released, but the original demo is floating around.

So maybe if I actually get to work, we can have an English patch released soon.

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
Re: Rosenkreuzstilette (v2)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
RKS is fun go play it

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 04:46:35 PM »
Yes it is.  Yes, please do.

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:21:59 PM »
I started reading the old thread a few weeks ago. It looks really fun, but I'm lazy about starting new games. Someday soon.

I think Letty should go back to the Schwer avatar.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 04:55:52 AM »
RKS is cool; I can actually beat it.
also freudia is the best character

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 12:21:14 AM »
RKS is awesome, but it kicks my ass cause I suck.  Also for some reason I can't slide while holding a charge with Seele Gewehr.  What's up with that?

On an unrelated note, was wondering if I could steal that translation/summary/whatever of the story for the TV Tropes article, it's looking a little bare-bones at the moment.
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 12:23:04 AM »
On an unrelated note, was wondering if I could steal that translation/summary/whatever of the story for the TV Tropes article, it's looking a little bare-bones at the moment.
Uhh, if you want. I'll be using it for the RKS wiki, though, so

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 12:25:15 AM »
RKS is pretty fun, even if I stink at it.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 12:32:20 AM »
Uhh, if you want. I'll be using it for the RKS wiki, though, so

Power of paraphrase it is, then.  Cool, thanks.
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 12:48:43 AM »
Also for some reason I can't slide while holding a charge with Seele Gewehr.  What's up with that?
Could be your keyboard has a limit on how many keys could be pressed at one time. I'm playing the game with a joypad, and haven't had this problem come up.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 04:29:56 AM »
Going ahead and bumping this to plug the English patch that's been out for a while, in case people forgot.

dustyjo

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 12:07:07 PM »
fffffff the game crashes within 2 seconds of loading and I can't do anything

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »
Do you have Japanese language support?

dustyjo

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 12:29:25 PM »
Do you have Japanese language support?

Yeah, maybe I should try applocale

Herasy

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 03:11:19 PM »
Ooh the English patch is available! I was on the final stages of the game but now I might just replay it all in sweet understandable English!

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 09:59:42 PM »
Mm, I should seriously try this (now that I know the translation patch is out) ...

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 06:41:14 AM »
I bought Suguri from them but since it's possible to buy RKS online already, why are they doing this? I'll always buy games with the method that gives the most money to the circles themselves instead of publisher(except Comiket since I'm not in japan), so I'm happy I bought the game from DLsite since their profit will likely be larger than with a deal with RockingAndroid. Still, I always like more visibility for those games. Oh and thanks Whiterock ⒮hooter for the wonderful translation.

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »
I suppose one reason would be getting both RKS and Freudenstachel for $20 or whatever. (Assuming they get that far ...)

LiteYear

• Touhou Fangame Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 07:02:14 PM »
I was just not a fan of this game, probably because of the style choices.  The special weapons were too gimmicky overall for my tastes, I didn't like the games reliance on deathtraps coupled with the lack of combat, and I didn't find the bosses that fun to fight (although I'm sure the bosses are a parody of something; the Bomberman parody was nice).

But sadly, the biggest beef I had was the final grind.  I know it's just a sign I'm getting older, but I don't have the time anymore for an 8+ level run with no opportunity to save your progress.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 07:34:46 PM »
I was just not a fan of this game, probably because of the style choices.  The special weapons were too gimmicky overall for my tastes, I didn't like the games reliance on deathtraps coupled with the lack of combat, and I didn't find the bosses that fun to fight (although I'm sure the bosses are a parody of something; the Bomberman parody was nice).

But sadly, the biggest beef I had was the final grind.  I know it's just a sign I'm getting older, but I don't have the time anymore for an 8+ level run with no opportunity to save your progress.
Have you never played a Megaman game? EVER?

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 09:53:07 PM »
i've been playing this for the last week, and its pretty fun. im currently getting my ass whooped by the first castle stage (i've beaten the first 8 bosses).

LiteYear

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 10:29:37 PM »
Well, I guess you're honing in on my "can't save in the fortress" comment.  Again, as I said, when I was younger, this would never have been an issue.  However, now that I don't have the time to play as much as I once did, the fact that the game won't give you a password, yet will allow you to restart from the same place if you continue, is just a stupid idea to me now.  And I don't care if you're trying to be faithful to the original Megaman games; there are some things that I just cannot tolerate as I once did.

As for the weapons being gimmicky, maybe that was the wrong word.  I probably should have used the word situational instead.  There are only a couple of them that fit my style of play.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 10:31:31 PM »
Well, I guess you're honing in on my "can't save in the fortress" comment.  Again, as I said, when I was younger, this would never have been an issue.  However, now that I don't have the time to play as much as I once did, the fact that the game won't give you a password, yet will allow you to restart from the same place if you continue, is just a stupid idea to me now.  And I don't care if you're trying to be faithful to the original Megaman games; there are some things that I just cannot tolerate as I once did.

As for the weapons being gimmicky, maybe that was the wrong word.  I probably should have used the word situational instead.  There are only a couple of them that fit my style of play.

Sorry, but didn't you at one point spend 6 hours grinding stage 7-2-2 of Super Marisa World to beat it without dying? A simple Megaman fortress should be well within reach.

And hey, I haven't checked or anything, but was that English patch ever released?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LiteYear

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 11:02:50 PM »
Yeah, I know it sounds hypocritical.  But, for Super Marisa World, each run only takes 5-10 minutes (depending on where I died), so there's no progress lost if I couldn't spend the time to do it.  For RKS, it has to be all done in one sitting.  Also, because I wasn't enjoying the game, it made the levels feel like a chore, so not having the time to complete the castles and therefore having to do the levels again was thoroughly unappealing, and has so far sapped my will to make another attempt.  I'll admit that I haven't played the classic Megamans much (started with SNES), so while it wasn't a total surprise, I forgot to consider the possibility of a second castle.

But, time is not the only factor to me either.  New Super Mario Brothers irked me a lot too because you couldn't save whenever, even though the time between save points was only like 15-20 minutes.  You could only save after a fortress, castle, or by paying to open a gate, and all of these were only one time events (i.e. couldn't beat a fortress again to save). However, once you beat the main game, you suddenly can save whenever you want, so what was the point?

Again, maybe if I had the time to do the RKS castle(s) run the first time I tired them, this likely wouldn't be an issue to me.  However, I think the point still stands though; if you're going to allow people to continue at will, why not give a password that will allow you to continue from that same place just in case they can't?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:13:49 PM by LiteYear »

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2009, 12:15:25 AM »
Again, maybe if I had the time to do the RKS castle(s) run the first time I tired them, this likely wouldn't be an issue to me.  However, I think the point still stands though; if you're going to allow people to continue at will, why not give a password that will allow you to continue from that same place just in case they can't?
Well, not only should the castle not take you more than hour at worst, the password system is taken directly from Megaman 4, a game that also did not have that feature. The big difference here, though, is that there is a password that allows you to skip the first fortress and go straight to the second.

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 12:22:15 PM »
Letty... why is your name Zorne? I thought Grolla was your favourite. And who are you on this list?
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »
Letty... why is your name Zorne? I thought Grolla was your favourite. And who are you on this list?
I'm not on that list at all, actually.

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »
I'm not on that list at all, actually.
WOW  :o I am surprised. I would have expected you to be in it (even the Justin dude is in it).
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 04:30:58 AM »
Holy shit, C76 Freudenstachel demo makes the wait for the trial version totally worth it. This game is going to kick so much ass.