Author Topic: ITT Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt  (Read 115409 times)

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
ITT Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt
« on: October 03, 2010, 04:33:34 AM »
This thing is glorious.
It's a great reminder of why I don't like watching anime that's currently airing
The anticipation for the next episode :getdown:

The animation is top notch man, and it just succeeds in every single aspect it approaches. It's completely fearless

I take back what I said about Panty's voice when I watched the trailer, it's lovely and couldn't be any more fitting.
Stocking is ridiculously cute, in a not very usual way. Her voice is also lovely, but it's exactly what one would expect from the goth loli character.
Garterbelt is badass like Harima Kenji, damn.

I totally did not save every single P&SwG in danbooru
Spoiler:
except that nsfw one that's just gross
[/s]

Oh, also like Suikama said, I sure hope GAINAX didn't burn their entire budget on the first episode already :V
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:36:47 AM by HakureiSM »
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Re: ITT Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 05:26:13 AM »
Copypasta time
Jesus shit monsters on flaming ghost trains Panty and Stocking.

This show just adds to the proof that GAINAX is an absolute genius at producing crazy shit. This is like fanservice in it's absolute purest form. No plot, no depth, no meaning, not even a single attempt at any of that stuff. Just pure action and crazy animation and fanservice. Basically whatever this show does, it does well.

They don't waste a single second of episode time, there is just so much shit going on at every single second that even after several watches there's still stuff you've missed. There is just a never ending stream of chaos on screen at every single moment. From people being tossed like rag dolls to the FREAKING POLICE CAR DANMAKU :getdown:. I just hope that they didn't blow thier entire budget already (they probably did :V) so they can keep up this kind of animation quality throughout.

Basically the main draw for me anyways is the animation quality and style of this thing. Sure the drawings are simpler than normal anime, but I love how there is just non-stop action, which isn't somehing I haven't seen in an anime in a long time. Not only the but the pure chaos they manage is create is astounding. Obviously not much can be said about any of the other elements of the show, athough I do find Panty's sexual quips to be rather amusing in a Seitokai Yakuindomo kinda way.

Also because it's GAINAX there will probably be some LOLDEEP plot thrown in around halfway, but I'll just be watching if they can keep up the pace that they're at throughout thier entire run without having to rely on DVD releases (COUGHSHAFTCOUGH). If they can then I'll be quite impressed (but I'm doubting they can :V)

ahaha I can't believe I wrote all that just for this show what's wrong with me :getdown: :getdown: :getdown:

I guess it's time to

FRY AWAY NOW

FRY AWAY NOW

FRY AWAY

FRY AWAY NOW

FRY AWAY NOW

FRY AWAY

also Trance I see you and your Panty avatar
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 05:31:04 AM by Suikama »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 06:06:33 AM »
panty is my idol

'nuff said

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 06:53:16 AM »
Holy wow. That was pure awesome. Then I watched the 1st episode and once again O.o Mind = Blown. If that gets more episodes, it almost certainly due to either Gainax having an epic budget, or all that win not costing that much.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 07:18:42 AM »
While I love the Tartakovsky look and the lively visuals, the humor is just way too utterly tasteless for me to enjoy this.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 07:47:53 AM »
While I love the Tartakovsky look and the lively visuals, the humor is just way too utterly tasteless for me to enjoy this.

It's mostly crude humour, and while yeah, most of it is tasteless, that might mostly be an age thing.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 08:08:45 AM »
I saw the minute-or-so clip someone tossed in... CPMC? The talking thread? Somewhere.

And I'm just gonna say what I said there:

Never change, Gainax. Never change.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 08:34:05 AM »
Much as I love GAINAX for their attitude of "We hate otaku-fodder anime, and to prove how much we hate it we're going to relish in producing it!" I think I'm going to pass on this.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 12:01:19 PM »
The first segment was just way too crude 12 year old humor for my tastes and just ugh.

The second part where they toned down the South Park?  Whoadang  :o

If the writing goes up and the potty humor/innuendo goes down, yeah I think I'll check this out.

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 12:15:46 PM »
There are no redeeming features in this episode (two episodes?). None. 30 seconds of pretty nifty animation during the car chase does not excuse 20+ minutes of nothing happening.

[edit] So as not to be entirely threadcrappy: those thirty seconds of animation were really nifty.

Drake

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 08:44:03 PM »
I am forbidden to change my avatar to anything besides Nazrin, so someone please take this for me.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 08:47:57 PM »
because ilu drakums

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 09:18:31 PM »
I am forbidden to change my avatar to anything besides Nazrin, so someone please take this for me.

wow,is lovely.i want see this stuff too!

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 09:27:24 PM »
Oh, VIVI!

Long time no see :3
Go watch that show~
                                                                                   .

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 09:29:56 PM »
"Receive judgment from the garb of the Holy Virgin"

:getdown: :getdown: :getdown: :getdown: :getdown:

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 09:33:46 PM »
Man Garterbelt is the best priest ever in all eternity
                                                                                   .

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 09:35:44 PM »
So uhh.. Wtf is this about. Basically some people like anime for stuff other than the story, and this show is pretty much focused on that other stuff?

what makes animation high quality anyway? the frame rate (I know that's a bad term for this context but I think you'll know what I mean to say). I just don't see what makes this high quality. I mean I don't watch anime so that's not an insult, I just don't know. I mean the art quality definately seems pretty...eh. And the smoothness of the animation from the 2 scenes I saw don't really strike me as unusual (as a matter of fact it seems a bit choppier than average IMO).

Is this show supposed to be for adults? It doesn't look like it. I mean it SEEMS to be targetting teens from what I see but the name itself.. well, uh. yeah. I'm confused.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 09:42:52 PM »
The art quality is tremendous. What you thought '...eh' was the style, not the quality.

But basically, thing great quality trash comedy.
                                                                                   .

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 09:52:33 PM »
So uhh.. Wtf is this about. Basically some people like anime for stuff other than the story, and this show is pretty much focused on that other stuff?

what makes animation high quality anyway? the frame rate (I know that's a bad term for this context but I think you'll know what I mean to say). I just don't see what makes this high quality. I mean I don't watch anime so that's not an insult, I just don't know. I mean the art quality definately seems pretty...eh. And the smoothness of the animation from the 2 scenes I saw don't really strike me as unusual (as a matter of fact it seems a bit choppier than average IMO).

Is this show supposed to be for adults? It doesn't look like it. I mean it SEEMS to be targetting teens from what I see but the name itself.. well, uh. yeah. I'm confused.
Most anime take shortcuts like having moving still images (coughHotD), lots of headshots (coughSHAFT), using 3D graphics for complicated objects like machines or moving scenery, using a lot of inbetweening, and other stuff because of the difficulty and cost of making pure quality animation. So far PSG's animation quality is on par with anime movies (especially FLY AWAY NOW), which have better animation in general since they're shorter than full length series. The drawings themselves are simple of course, but the detail they put into everything else is pretty astounding for an anime. Stuff like camera zooms, constant chaos, random english sfx, blowing up clay modles of the ghosts when they die, and the fact that they have taken very few shortcuts. The ones they did take are masked by the art style, like the jerkiness and lack of shading detail.

It is pretty hard to tell if you haven't watched a lot of anime, since you'd probably end up comparing the quality to other things you've seen like movies which have obscene budgets. I remember when other people told me other GAINAX shows like TTGL and FLCL had good animation but I couldn't really tell becauses I hadn't seen too many animes to compare it with.

Also taking bets for how long untill TouhouxPSG happens BV
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 09:56:30 PM by Suikama »

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 10:31:46 PM »
oh Panty.Oh Panty...she is...(well "it" is, is an angel fufu) exactly the idea who i have from Sariel XD
FLY AWAY NOW, FLY AWAY NOW, FLY AWAYYYYYY....
i like the animation, is stylish and pleasurable for see. the stories,well, funny. i like the second one with all the pervert things. hint of today: technique>speed. n_n
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 10:59:06 PM by VIVItheHeiwa »

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 10:41:24 PM »

Entirely too long. :V

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 10:45:16 PM »
Most anime take shortcuts like having moving still images (coughHotD), lots of headshots (coughSHAFT), using 3D graphics for complicated objects like machines or moving scenery, using a lot of inbetweening, and other stuff because of the difficulty and cost of making pure quality animation. So far PSG's animation quality is on par with anime movies (especially FLY AWAY NOW), which have better animation in general since they're shorter than full length series. The drawings themselves are simple of course, but the detail they put into everything else is pretty astounding for an anime. Stuff like camera zooms, constant chaos, random english sfx, blowing up clay modles of the ghosts when they die, and the fact that they have taken very few shortcuts. The ones they did take are masked by the art style, like the jerkiness and lack of shading detail.

It is pretty hard to tell if you haven't watched a lot of anime, since you'd probably end up comparing the quality to other things you've seen like movies which have obscene budgets. I remember when other people told me other GAINAX shows like TTGL and FLCL had good animation but I couldn't really tell becauses I hadn't seen too many animes to compare it with.

I'd have to disagree with a lot of that. The detailing is exceedinly sparse, and the amount of shortcuts taken is astounding. Not only do they use 3-frame to 2-frame stills most of the time, but the amount of "dead time" - i.e. where nothing happens on screen at all (including transparencies, like floating text and stuff, as that requires no effort whatsoever) encompasses most of the 23-minute episode. The only time when genuinely-impressive artistic and graphic work has occurred is during the car chase scene, which lasts, oh, 30 seconds.

Oh, and let's not forget that they managed to save on writing staff by asking someone's 12-year-old son to write it. Hell, even Axe Cop is more tasteful and coherent.

Studio Ghibli this is not.

[fakeedit] Unless this is all an elaborate joke at my expense. Everyone is being facetious here, right? Right?

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 10:53:27 PM »
Oh my God this cannot happen soon enough.

Anyway, I couldn't stop cracking up throughout the whole episode because everything was just so ridiculously awesome.  :3

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 10:54:59 PM »
I'd have to disagree with a lot of that. The detailing is exceedinly sparse, and the amount of shortcuts taken is astounding. Not only do they use 3-frame to 2-frame stills most of the time, but the amount of "dead time" - i.e. where nothing happens on screen at all (including transparencies, like floating text and stuff, as that requires no effort whatsoever) encompasses most of the 23-minute episode. The only time when genuinely-impressive artistic and graphic work has occurred is during the car chase scene, which lasts, oh, 30 seconds.

Oh, and let's not forget that they managed to save on writing staff by asking someone's 12-year-old son to write it. Hell, even Axe Cop is more tasteful and coherent.

Studio Ghibli this is not.

[fakeedit] Unless this is all an elaborate joke at my expense. Everyone is being facetious here, right? Right?
:3

welp technically it's still a terribad show but I'm just having too much fun with it right now :getdown:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 10:56:30 PM by Suikama »

Drake

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 11:02:49 PM »
I guess "before he even said that" is too long. There was a Marisa & Patchouli with Margatroid picture floating around somewhere.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 11:05:28 PM »
C'est magnifique. Absolutely top notch garbage. I doubt they'll be able to keep this fresh for long, but I'll enjoy it while they can.

Goddammit, I was just about to switch to basically exactly this.

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 11:17:28 PM »
I am slain (danbo)

also http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/893/pcdanmaku.gif

[matsuri]holy freaking oversized[/matsuri]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:34:18 AM by Shikieiki Matsyxanadu »

Drake

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 11:31:35 PM »
You know what I think?

I think the people fighting against the show are trying too hard to discredit a show that doesn't even take itself seriously. Yeah, it has still loops and plenty of nothing-time, but it doesn't completely trash the charming and exaggerated polygon-centric art style and it keeps to the feel of the manga. No, it isn't some superb godsend animation, but it's wacky and fun, which is exactly what it intended to be. It's become insanely popular upon release and people who didn't like it (2:3 ratio?) need to tell everyone "No, why do you like this, it's bad" and exactly why they should feel bad for watching it. The humor is pretty garbage so far, but it doesn't keep the show from being incredibly fun to watch. It's a simple episodic cartoon; it isn't meant to have some sort of huge underlying plot or gorgeous animation as people expect of popular anime nowadays. I could really care less what technical aspects are supposed to make it bad, I'm fukken watchin it anyways.

I also think the people fighting for the show are trying too hard to discredit the people fighting against the show. Instead of just enjoying the show just because they like it, they try to find good aspects that will beat back the opposition. Honestly I don't think it's needed. If someone goes "this show has shitty animation" and then you point them towards a specific scene where you think it was good, it isn't going to change anything. 'Against' are looking for responses to their criticism, and 'For' are looking for affirmation to why they like it. That's how it'll be, that's how it'll always be.

Although I guess I could say the same for any other anime and I'm sure I'd be a hypocrite and tell people why they should feel bad for watching it, but something that gains an absurd popularity for doing nothing technically special is bound to have arguments like this. Not telling people to back off on criticism or stop defending what they like; discussion is cool. Just saying no need to get riled up about it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:33:26 PM by Drake »

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 11:55:06 PM »
You know what I think?

I think the people fighting against the show are trying too hard to discredit a show that doesn't even take itself seriously. Yeah, it has still loops and plenty of nothing-time, but it doesn't completely trash the charming and exaggerated polygon-centric art style and it keeps to the feel of the manga. No, it isn't some superb godsend animation, but it's wacky and fun, which is exactly what it intended to be. It's become insanely popular upon release and people who didn't like it (2:3 ratio?) need to tell everyone "No, why do you like this, it's bad" and exactly why they should feel bad for watching it. The humor is pretty garbage so far, but it doesn't keep the show from being incredibly fun to watch. It's a simple episodic cartoon; it isn't meant to have some sort of huge underlying plot or gorgeous animation as people expect of popular anime nowadays. I could really care less what technical aspects are supposed to make it bad, I'm fukken watchin it anyways.

I also think the people fighting for the show are trying too hard to discredit the people fighting against the show. Instead of just enjoying the show just because they like it, they try to find good aspects that will beat back the opposition. Honestly I don't think it's needed. If someone goes "this show has shitty animation" and then you point them towards a specific scene where you think it was good, it isn't going to change anything. 'Against' are looking for responses to their criticism, and 'For' are looking for affirmation to why they like it. That's how it'll be, that's how it'll always be.

Although I guess I could say the same for any other anime and I'm sure I'd be a hypocrite and tell people why they should feel bad for watching it, but something that gains an absurd popularity for doing nothing technically special is bound to have arguments like this. Not telling people to back off on criticism or stop defending what they like; discussion is cool. Just saying no need to get riled up about it.
:3 :3