Author Topic: For a long time there's been this idea of starting an anime board  (Read 13490 times)

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
And to be honest it makes perfect sense.

The last (third) anime/manga thread just hit 1000 posts, with Matsuri requesting it to be split into three.
It's a reasonable request, seeing how the thread is a real mess.
Lots of people watching/reading different things, trying to discuss one series while another discussion overlaps the other then Panty & Stocking 1st episode just came out omg omg it's so awesome guys I just finished Sengoku Basara 2 oh yes P&SwG is an amazing experience Man, you picked a good series Basara is all kinds of manly School Days sucks oh I liked the huge trainwreck it was man K-ON movie oh yes.
See what I mean?

But let's say it was split into three thread, like it was proposed by Mats.
One for general anime discussion, one for manga and one for current anime.
What does 'current anime' mean?Anime people are currently watching or anime that are currently airing? Because those overlap a hell lot, I mean, that's the whole point of anime airing, right? People watching them
Discussions will still overlap and cut each other, as exemplified above, some people wanting to discuss Sengoku Basara, or School Days, or P&SwG all at the same time.
The same is hapenning to manga.

There's just too many people interested in the anime/manga subject to fit in just a few threads.
So what I basically mean is it's safe to assume there's plenty of room and interest in the creation of an anime/manga board, similar to Akyu's, the gaming board.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:39:09 PM by HakureiSM »
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Matsuri

Re: For a long time there's been this idea of starting an anime board
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 09:39:20 PM »
As I said in my PM to you, I like this idea. Even a subforum in Renko's would be nice.

While I'm fine with just splitting the megathread into smaller threads, a subforum for anime/manga-specific discussions would be pretty convenient, as well.

Bottom line on my opinion: as long as it isn't a messy, disorganized megathread anymore, I don't care. The more organized we can be, the better.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 09:46:14 PM »
Haven't we had this idea a long while ago? And it was thought that a single anime/manga thread would be enough to contain them?

I still disagree with the need to have an anime board. Sure, you've had three of these megathreads, but three threads since these forums came up-- a span of well over a year-- is not promising at all. Explain to me why an anime/manga board wouldn't be dead, or at least not frequently posted in.

Matsuri

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Yes, that did come to mind, as well, which is why I asked for three separate threads for still rather-general topics. I'm just saying I'm not opposed to the idea of a subforum, for the sake of being organized-- and I like being organized :<

Of course, if you want it to be less-dead, there's also the possibility of making a general media subforum as well-- specifically for discussion of TV shows, books, music, and so on-- and really, it's more reasonable, too.

On the other hand, how often do we have threads discussing non-anime/manga media? Not very often. Hmm. :/

As long as we don't have a ridiculous megathread anymore, it does not matter to me.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 09:56:31 PM »
The idea came up more than once before, but there's was no real discussion centered on it.

As for the post ammount, many people noted in the past that the mere fact that there's just one megathread with no room for discussion supresses many posts and many potential discussions.

I mean, how am I supposed to ask people's opinions on this series I'm reading when the current discussion is something completely different?
Similarly, that other member posted something about that series he/she's reading, I'd like to post my opinion on it but I can't do much more than a small note after the big post I'm making about the series currently under discussion

As the occasional remark on CPMC's socials point out, there's a lot of people who don't even post in the anime/manga thread despite having a lot of interest in the subject.
Visual novels also could come into this category.
                                                                                   .

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 10:11:13 PM »
Of course, if you want it to be less-dead, there's also the possibility of making a general media subforum as well-- specifically for discussion of TV shows, books, music, and so on-- and really, it's more reasonable, too.
Maybe more like a subcategory of general media subforums, including Akyu's Arcade.  All the anime/manga/gaming/media stuff that isn't Touhou.  Either that, or just revamp Akyu's into a general gaming/manga/anime thread.  That way you don't convolute the forum hierarchy.

Matsuri

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 10:16:50 PM »
Mmm, I can't say I like that idea. AA gets plenty of activity as it is right now-- more than enough to justify its existence as its own category. I have a feeling the other media threads would get scattered around in there quickly if it were to be all merged together. It would be even less organized at that point. :/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:18:43 PM by Shikieiki Matsyxanadu »

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 10:41:58 PM »
Yeah, I think merging general media would create an entire different type of mess :s

edit: Suikama stop lurking and say something :<
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:56:10 PM by HakureiSM »
                                                                                   .

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 10:56:53 PM »
As for the post ammount, many people noted in the past that the mere fact that there's just one megathread with no room for discussion supresses many posts and many potential discussions.
I can't really believe that, and for one reason only: Having come from the imageboard, where the post limit was 200 posts per thread and we still managed to get a lot of stuff talked about (along with plenty of hijacks), I think 1000 posts is more than enough to talk about anything-- hell, I think 500 is more than enough.

Still, doing a simple cost-benefit analysis, an amimu/mango/whateverthefuck board or subboard would be a fine idea. It's really no effort at all to create a new board (just a few clicks and whistles and you're done), and worst-case scenario is no one ever uses it, while the best-case scenario is the new board becomes a well-trafficked new portion of the site. I can't say I'd find such a board worth my time, per se, but if the userbase wants it enough, then... bread and circuses, eh?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »
I can't really believe that, and for one reason only: Having come from the imageboard, where the post limit was 200 posts per thread and we still managed to get a lot of stuff talked about (along with plenty of hijacks), I think 1000 posts is more than enough to talk about anything-- hell, I think 500 is more than enough.
It gets crammed not due to the total post limit, but because of the linear nature of the forums. Like I said, one discussion overlaps the other and so forth. A lot more can be achieved in a bunch of threads on different subjects(in anime/manga, different series) with eh, 10,15 posts each, than in one 1000-limited gigathread for the entire area of discussion.

Still, doing a simple cost-benefit analysis, an amimu/mango/whateverthefuck board or subboard would be a fine idea. It's really no effort at all to create a new board (just a few clicks and whistles and you're done), and worst-case scenario is no one ever uses it, while the best-case scenario is the new board becomes a well-trafficked new portion of the site. I can't say I'd find such a board worth my time, per se, but if the userbase wants it enough, then... bread and circuses, eh?
ilu anyway :3

dumb edit: if a new board/subboard is created, it'll need a name, right? I have to suggest something with Kaguya.
I mean, she's the NEET.
                                                                                   .

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 11:20:54 PM »
A lot more can be achieved in a bunch of threads on different subjects(in anime/manga, different series) with eh, 10,15 posts each, than in one 1000-limited gigathread for the entire area of discussion.
Mm. Now that you explain it like this, I can see why that can happen. And I for one am not opposed to a bunch of short-ish threads; I like things to be organized, certainly, but not too rigid, either-- as long as they can all be found in one place, that's good enough for me.

dumb edit: if a new board/subboard is created, it'll need a name, right? I have to suggest something with Kaguya.
I mean, she's the NEET.
Well, sure, you can throw out some ideas. I would have suggested Nitori if RaNGE hadn't stolen her... Hatate's TV Guide? :P

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 11:22:14 PM »
Mmm, I can't say I like that idea. AA gets plenty of activity as it is right now-- more than enough to justify its existence as its own category. I have a feeling the other media threads would get scattered around in there quickly if it were to be all merged together. It would be even less organized at that point. :/
In that case, just a category then, or just a new media forum within Beyond the Border.

I mean, she's the NEET.
The Horaisan Museum of Lunarian Arts

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 11:22:35 PM »
I mean, she's the NEET.

Does this require making a catchy acronym with the word NEET?
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 11:26:32 PM »
Can't fit Kaguya in NEET though

The Horaisan Museum of Lunarian Arts
cu-ray-zee
Though THMLA sounds awful

Oh also I'm not sure if we should derail this into a 'hey let's pick a name thread', even though I accidentally started it :s
                                                                                   .

Matsuri

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »
Perhaps a Touhou-ified version of  "The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture"? :P

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 11:32:22 PM »
Perhaps a Touhou-ified version of  "The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture"? :P
... I'll have to watch that. Thanks a lot :<

But that sounds like a great idea.

... can we fit Kaguya in it somehow? :3c
                                                                                   .

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 11:39:46 PM »
Kaguya's Recently Browsed Links
Kaguya's Undeleted History

Bow Down, You Ignorant Otakus.
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 11:52:02 PM »
Houraisan's Colourful Bedroom?
                                                                                   .

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 01:24:07 AM »
I started 2 threads already, I guess if you guys don't mind moving it later then~
I'd vote a Touhou who has a lot more to offer with anime related things.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 01:26:35 AM »
I already said no to the idea several times now.  There is not enough traffic to justify breaking it off from Renko's.  It has been said several times there's only been 3 rotations of the current megathread.  Even if the megathread is "surpressing discussion" (which I argue it isn't), you can make specific discussion threads in Renko's all you want, yet noone has.

If it hits a point where anime/manga/etc threads start crowding out other threads in Renko's then I'll be for it.  Akyu's is popular enough where it justified being separate from Renko's, and would legitimately cause clutter problems if it was left merged.  Renko's isn't active enough where threads are getting shoved off the first page, so why subdivide it further and make it more useless?  There also comes a point where you're cannibalizing attention from one section to another.  I would rather have more discussion in Renko's than split off more topics than what is already needed.  The nature of "off-topic" catchall forums is that you end up stealing from one to build another. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 01:28:15 AM by ♪ Baneling-chan ♫ »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 01:43:35 AM »
I don't see why anime, manga and gaming were even chucked into the off-topic board to begin with, seeing as those are obviously very relevant subjects to the members of this community anyway
And I've yet to understand how anime and manga fit in "Let's talk about the real world."

Well whatever then, despite opinions the decision was made.
Instead of one, or three, anime/manga threads we should have as many as we want then? Okay.
                                                                                   .

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 01:56:41 AM »
I don't see why anime, manga and gaming were even chucked into the off-topic board to begin with, seeing as those are obviously very relevant subjects to the members of this community anyway
And I've yet to understand how anime and manga fit in "Let's talk about the real world."
Err the "real world" was a joke, since everything else was related to Gensokyo (an imaginary place).  It's meant to be the "serious" offtopic forum (CPMC being the silly spammy one).  It's always been about discussion of not-Touhou related topics.  AA was branched off because well, games are obviously popular in a gaming community and if it had stayed in Renko's it would have drowned out any other discussion.

Well whatever then, despite opinions the decision was made.
Don't be a smartass please.  I said if traffic warrants it I am not opposed. And the post traffic right now does NOT warrant a separate subforum.  If anything there's not enough activity in Renko's anyways, so it'd be silly to break off a potential source of discussion.

Instead of one, or three, anime/manga threads we should have as many as we want then? Okay.
Yes I've said this several times, and the answer I got was that after this megathread ended then you guys would start making individual threads.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:20:45 AM by ♪ Baneling-chan ♫ »

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 02:08:30 AM »
Yes I've said this several times, and the answer I got was that after this megathread ended then you guys would start making individual threads.
The idea came up more than once before, but there's was no real discussion centered on it.
As in, a thread here, in this board, where everything stated is made clear and available to every member.
If there was ever one, I apologize for missing it, because every past time I've seen this topic brought up it was in some other thread while discussing some other subject, leaving this one to fall into darkness without a clear conclusion.

Glad we sorted this out, anyways.
                                                                                   .

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 02:20:35 AM »
As in, a thread here, in this board, where everything stated is made clear and available to every member.
If there was ever one, I apologize for missing it, because every past time I've seen this topic brought up it was in some other thread while discussing some other subject, leaving this one to fall into darkness without a clear conclusion.

The last time this came up was when I kicked the anime and music thread out of CPMC.  The call was made that twittery type what are you watching/reading/jerking off to threads can go in CPMC, and any serious discourse threads go in Renko's.  And it was permitted, if not encouraged, to have smaller yet more narrow discussion threads (such as this season's anime, or a particular show) rather than a catchall THIS IS AN ANIMU THREAD.

From day one I've felt the megathread thing was a bad idea, especially for such a general topic as anime, as to me it stamped out any serious discussion.  For someone who wasn't following the thread regularly, it's practically impossible to jump in.  I've asked that the megathread be split up and the answer I got was that you guys wanted to let this one finish out first before doing so.  I feel there could be room for a lot of visual culture discussion, but for the time being I also wanted to build traffic in Renko's up.  This is when I decided to kick the anime megathread (and other discussion threads) out of CPMC.

Glad we sorted this out, anyways.

Sorry if it sounded like I was annoyed.  The discussion about this issue was fine, I was more annoyed about the sentiment that anime/manga stuff will not thrive unless we make a separate subforum for it.  And like I said it's not our job to encourage discussion beyond the main sections of the site (TARC/HME/etc).  The "Beyond the Border" subforums are really to foster a community beyond just talking about Touhou, but at the same time it's not our concern nor would it be proper for us to force certain topics of discussion.  That's something the community decides as a whole.

If you guys want a separate subforum then maybe rather than complaining about the lack of it, go out there and stir up discussion and interest!  It's not our job as the staff to build interest in certain topics, especially offtopic things.  It's your job as members of this community.  Just making a subforum isn't going to magically start an explosion of threads.  You guys have to be interested in it first, and frankly, there isn't enough interest right now.  So if you want a subforum work on getting interest going first.

If Renko's starts getting crowded then the issue will be revisited, but until then all off-topic "serious" discussion that isn't gaming goes in Renko's.  There will not be a separate anime/manga/TV/animal board until Renko's traffic gets unmanageable.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:22:18 AM by ♪ Baneling-chan ♫ »

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 02:30:03 AM »
Sorry if it sounded like I was annoyed. 
You always do, that's your main issue. I'm probably sounding too, today. Sorry about that, there's general stuff making me too impatient to type as politely as I'd like to.

But the let's make another forum suggestion was done mostly, if not entirely, because we(well at least I do) fear cluttering Renko's.
I don't see how or why the megathread was maintained for so long, especially after most of the members who managed to take part in it said they were against it.

From day one I've felt the megathread thing was a bad idea, especially for such a general topic as anime, as to me it stamped out any serious discussion.  For someone who wasn't following the thread regularly, it's practically impossible to jump in.
That's exactly what everyone meant by
The megathread supresses discussion
to which you replied
Even if the megathread is "surpressing discussion" (which I argue it isn't),
Just wanted to point that out.

But anyway, if there's no problem with making several threads and you don't really believe it will clutter up Renko's, then I'll take your word for it, as it will give us a lot more room by solving the megathread problem.

I don't even know if I'm making myself clear anymore.
                                                                                   .

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 02:36:31 AM »
No I feel that megathread is a horrible idea for such general discussion topics, but at the same time even with the possibility that the megathread is "suppressing" discussion, that thread isn't getting enough traffic as-is.  3k posts about anime/manga is not enough justification to build a subforum with.

So for now let's see if breaking the megathread apart does help build enough interest to justify a subforum, before jumping headfirst into it ok?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:39:08 AM by ♪ Baneling-chan ♫ »

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 02:43:13 AM »
Phew, I already agreed with that several times, several times having explained why the subforum was suggested in the first place.

We're repeating ourselves for several posts now.
                                                                                   .

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 02:47:54 AM »
Phew, I already agreed with that several times, several times having explained why the subforum was suggested in the first place.

We're repeating ourselves for several posts now.

Are you sure you agree with me?  Because I don't think you do :V
(ps I like to debate)

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 02:52:28 AM »
Yeah, I noticed you do, but we're like

Quote from: HakureiSM
This then that so yeah
Quote from: TSO
No but that due to this so not yeah, yeah
Quote from: HakureiSM
I've said that then because what, so yeah is wrong, then yeah  >:(
Quote from: TSO
But without what hapenning there's no reason as to yeah, so yeah >:(
*repeat*
yeah

So yeah :getdown:
                                                                                   .

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »
No I feel that megathread is a horrible idea for such general discussion topics, but at the same time even with the possibility that the megathread is "suppressing" discussion, that thread isn't getting enough traffic as-is.  3k posts about anime/manga is not enough justification to build a subforum with.

So for now let's see if breaking the megathread apart does help build enough interest to justify a subforum, before jumping headfirst into it ok?

I'll actually have to agree with Feito here. When we had discussed the possibility of the anime subforum in the past, the initial idea was to try out making individual threads in Renko's and see how that goes. If any of you guys remember, I made a pseudo-announcement in the megathread, and later made a couple of series-specific threads (Gurren Lagann and Slayers to be precise). It garnered a little bit of conversation, but no one else really followed my lead with making other threads too.

Heck, Fate has done something similar in posting individual news reports to serve as thread starters, despite the existence of the Read the News thread. I think the RTN thread is a good casual forum for discussing whatever might be in the news at the time, but it shouldn't shy people away from making a whole thread about it if you expect the thread to get more than a couple of posts.

I think if we just make it clear that it's OK to hit that New Topic thread and you shouldn't be overly scared to do so, then we don't need an anime board unless Renko's starts getting bogged down with it.

(ps I like to debate)

:o
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook