Author Topic: Civilization 5 (AKA The-Never-Leave-Your-Computer-Again Game)  (Read 2353 times)

Civilization 5 (AKA The-Never-Leave-Your-Computer-Again Game)
« on: September 22, 2010, 02:45:21 AM »
Game has been out since this morning and I figured I wasn't the only person that purchased it.  It's fun as hell, although I wish it put a lighter load on my processor at times.  Still haven't finished my first game yet.   :V

The Chinese crossbowmen are pretty OP considering that they do quite a lot of damage and can attack twice.  You get them fairly early in the tech tree too. 

I'm curious to see what everyone else's opinion on the game is.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Civilization 5 (AKA The-Never-Leave-Your-Computer-Again Game)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 03:01:42 PM »
I'm planning on getting this game later on. Currently I only have so much cash and it's being saved up for castlevania.

I really doubt it but I want it bad... Does it have Leonard Nemoy? (Spock, narrator in civ 4). that guy was BORN to narrate these games!

Also, what are the multiplayer options?
I can probably find out with the demo but I wanna know nao damnit!

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 03:12:52 PM »
I really doubt it but I want it bad... Does it have Leonard Nemoy? (Spock, narrator in civ 4). that guy was BORN to narrate these games!
From what I've heard the answer is no, unfortunately.

Going to try the demo on the weekend probably.

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »
I don't even care for the Vanilla games anymore.

Is Fall from Heaven going to be mod-adapted to Civ 5? If so, I'll buy it!

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 12:54:23 AM »
I've played the tutorial and it seems quite fun but the laptop I was playing it on damn near burned my legses.

This will not stop me from playing it again though, maybe an actual game this time!

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 03:55:03 AM »
This game is such a time-eater.

Spoiler:
Glorious.

Love grabbing ruins with weak units, finding weapons, and then wrecking everything for dozens of turns to come. It's pretty much time to declare war if you find weapons in some ruins, since you're almost guarenteed to DECISIVE VICTORY everything you attack...

...The problem with that is that I have a hard time keeping my citizens happy, because I'm taking so many cities. Annexing them is hardly ever an option, and razing them seems like such a waste. Setting them as puppets still drops my happiness so hard. Probably not getting enough embellishment-y building in my cities to keep happiness up, but still.

Furthest I've gotten in a game so far is just before the Industrial Era on a small (6 player) pangaea map with Rome. Difficulty is at 4 (Prince), with a good 5-6 hours in it... Still playing it.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 06:10:28 AM »
It's funny how you can get Riflemen from ruins and the other civs still haven't teched past Warriors.

Oh yeah, Barbarians are fucking lame.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 03:17:24 AM »
Played the game now. But first, riflemen from ruins!? Their warriors?! I haven't seen a cpu run around with a single warrior unit ever. It's like they have spearmen starting at turn 1 at worst.

Anyway I think I like this game more than civ4, but it's too early to tell. The gameplay balance seems better, as well as the lack of odd looking cartoony graphics for the characters, but other than that..ehh. There was something about Civ4 that made it feel "bigger", I mean just the menu screen alone is a good example.

Can't have more than 1 unit on a square/hex anymore:
I thought I would hate this but it wasn't so bad actually. Most importantly it makes city sieging more fun and technical.

Ranged units having actual range now:
omg yay. This is the coolest thing that has happened to civ ever. My only beef is the relative lack of mid-game ranged units. I mean bowmen can shoot 2 squares away, as can horse/chariot/camel archers, then crossbowmen, etc. But then you get musketmen, who for some reason can't shoot more than 1 square away (and are actually weaker than the longswordmen which they are supposedly an upgrade from to boot!). After musketmen are infantry, which STILL can't do ranged combat, then Riflemen...which still can't again. It basically makes hititng the gunpowder era of military units semi counter-productive when you're still facing off against older style units. Though granted the strength boost you get once you hit riflemen or so is so large you can just bum rush earlier units, but still...

Cooler setup options:
I can't wait to play a gigantic map set on marathon speed! nuff' said.

Tech tree seems lacking:
I don't know, the whole tech tree seems like it has less stuff. I'm not sure if it actually does or if it's just my perception.

Social policies:
This is really cool, I like it alot. I'm not so sure I like the complete abolishment of the government system though. I mean they kinda killed them in civ 4 too I suppose, but this seems to have been taken a step further. I mean something where you could choose between governments as you needed changes done. But now it's like just direct upgrades you tech towards which can't be undone once you choose em.

audio: Music seems pretty quiet and hard to notice, it's pretty forgetful really. And no leonard nemoy wtf! whyy. I don't want to hear people say that it suits the game to have no music. That's not true. It's just no music suits a game better than bad music, but take Civilization Call to power for example. Very excellent music for the game IMO.

I still think I like Call to power best. Granted it wasn't as balanced as the "main" civ games (it's not even technically a civ game really), but it definately felt like it had the most "stuff" in every catagory. I think I'll enjoy this game alot though, and what its lacking I'm sure is easily fixed with some mods!

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 03:43:24 AM »
I'll just sit here with my Civ II: The Test of Time, as a loner.

Sadface D:

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 04:05:01 AM »
I'll just sit here with my Civ II: The Test of Time, as a loner.

Sadface D:

You like it most or just have a bad cpu?
Civ2 is pretty good IMO. Have you tried call to power?

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 06:20:13 AM »
Played the game now. But first, riflemen from ruins!? Their warriors?! I haven't seen a cpu run around with a single warrior unit ever. It's like they have spearmen starting at turn 1 at worst.

Gosh, it's like the only thing I see for thousands of years. Nations like Germany that usually focus on a fast military sweep typically throw warriors around until most people are thinking about attacking with trebuchets.

I can't wait to play a gigantic map set on marathon speed! nuff' said.

My game crashes during the load screen everytime I try to play on a "huge" map  :(

audio: Music seems pretty quiet and hard to notice, it's pretty forgetful really.

Strong disagree for me, I love the music in this game. Some of the nations have their own musical jingles that I don't enjoy as much though (like Askia).

Oh yeah, Barbarians are fucking lame.

You can turn them off in "advanced set-up." I personally prefer them raging.

Oh yeah, and the game has consumed almost all of my free time now... Kinda hoping I get bored with it so I can go do something productive.
Spoiler:
Like sleep.

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 04:41:53 PM »
I love the music in this game.

This.

Beyond that, I find it very hard to wrench myself away from the game to do mere trifles like sleeping or doing homework.  I ended up doing absolutely nothing productive on friday, saturday or sunday, so I have today to do two assignments for tomorrow. >.<

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 07:19:51 PM »
Barbarians are like walking experience power ups with gold camps laying around somewhere =p.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 08:01:21 PM »
I played the older games, never amused me that much, but AngryJoe, who had the same opinion tried it and he loves it to bits. I'm curious about this, I think there's a demo on Steam? I'll check it out.

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 08:21:24 PM »
Barbarians are like walking experience power ups with gold camps laying around somewhere =p.
Just wait until they start nuking you.