Author Topic: [Art] Canon Gensokyo Map - Research Based Traditional Fan Art  (Read 9337 times)

Captain Onimaru

[Art] Canon Gensokyo Map - Research Based Traditional Fan Art
« on: September 05, 2010, 06:14:47 AM »

High resolution copy: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/128/a/e/Gensokyo_Traditional_Map_by_CaptainOnimaru.jpg

This is a conceptually accurate research based map of Gensokyo. I completed it after extensive research through canon resources and print works from the series, since there was never an officially published map.

I noticed that there are a few fan made maps of Gensokyo floating around on the web. However, all of them have some sort of flaw that can be seen clearly through research of licensed print material.

Clues and hints to relative locations and the geography of Gensokyo have been given throughout the Touhou print works. I've read all of them so I was able to compile my knowledge well enough to place them fairly accurately.

On top of that, knowing that the Youkai mountain sits in the same spot as the Yatsugatake mountains in the real world gives an accurate layout of the local geography.

Using these sources, it was very easy to place the general locations of most of Gensokyo's land marks. The valley is actually quite large and it would take a day or two to travel across it on foot.

The real world half of the Hakurei Shrine is most likely the Komagatake Shrine in the eastern foot hills of the mountains. Feel free to look it up.

Sources include Perfect Memento in Strict Sense, Cage in Lunatic Runagate, Curiosities of Lotus Asia, Strange and Bright Nature Deity as well as the games themselves.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
Re: [Art] Canon Gensokyo Map - Research Based Traditional Fan Art
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 12:50:03 PM »
Well well, this is a great map, the first one even what placed Kourindou at the center of Gensokyo, like it was said in CoLA.

(BTW, not all fairies live in the Forest of Magic, as the 3MF live in a Giant Tree behind the Hakurei Shrine, and it is quite a special tree, because the last 5 chapters of Strange and Bright was about the tree, an Yukari was concerned with it as well. Dunno about it really, as it haven't been translated yet, but it looks like to be the largest tree of Gensokyo.)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 04:13:22 AM »
Whoa. :o This is going to be a fantastic resource for fiction set in Gensokyo! Thank you very much!

Looking at it again, there's no Chireiden, though that's to be expected. At least one vent up to the surface is near the Hakurei Shrine, though (hence the hot springs that set off the events of SA), but there really is not much information as to where the sprawling city is underground. Le sigh.

Still, it's an excellent map. The Road of Liminality was not something I expected people to know or care about, much less mark on a map. Thank you very much for your work, dude.

Captain Onimaru

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:26:05 AM »
Looking at it again, there's no Chireiden, though that's to be expected. At least one vent up to the surface is near the Hakurei Shrine, though (hence the hot springs that set off the events of SA), but there really is not much information as to where the sprawling city is underground. Le sigh.

I would guess it was located underneath the mountains behind the Hakurei Shrine. I thought about mentioning it, but it is technically not a part of Gensokyo itself, similar to Makai even. Of course there could be much speculation on wether or not that was true...

There's also the fact that the underground part of Gensokyo could be split into countless portions. It really is an entirely seperate world in and of itself.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:34:24 AM by Onimaru »

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 06:27:41 PM »
Nice work!

One thing to note, a theory behind the story of Sakuya-hime destroying Yatsugatake is that it describes an incredibly violent volcanic explosion that destroyed the original single mountain, forming the current Yatsugatake mountain range.  If you look at the current range Google Earth, you can deduce that Yatsugatake really was huge, much bigger than Fuji, and you can understand why Sakuya-hime got so jealous.  But that kinda helps to put things to scale.  You could practically put the rest of the lower elevation parts (human village, etc.), could easily be contained within the current city of Suwa.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
Whoa shit :o
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

AMZYoshio

• Transcend the edge of Dissillusion
  • WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 11:21:57 PM »
Beautiful work, I might even print this out and put it on my binder >>