Author Topic: Getting max power in PCB  (Read 5292 times)

Getting max power in PCB
« on: June 13, 2009, 10:03:14 PM »
So I've been wondering this for a while; is there some way to consistently get max power by the end of stage 1 in PCB?  I've managed to pull it off a few times with different shot types, and I'm not really sure how I managed it.  Using ReimuB, I can usually only get to about 110 power by the time I get to Letty.  Can it only be done with certain characters, or is there a trick that I'm overlooking?

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Getting max power in PCB
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 10:13:34 PM »
I didn't even it was possible to get max power in stage 1 outside of MoF...

Well, I guess if you used bombs to auto-collect it'd be possible, but the question is why? Letty has one hard attack (Table Turning is tough before you learn the right movements), and you get max power easily before midboss chen, so why would you go to that effort?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 10:42:54 PM »
Well, stage 2 practice mode has you start out with max power, which would kind of imply that it's doable.

Eh, there's probably a scoring benefit to getting max power before stage 2, but mostly it was just curiosity.  Since I've only managed to do it a few times, I was just wondering how it's actually supposed to be done.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 02:37:18 AM »
I do it by bombing such that the bomb only just kills all the enemies in the penultimate wave before Cirno (the last ones that drop power), also picking up all power items dropped by the previous 2 waves, and attacking Cirno unfocused until I reach ~33k Cherry+ so that my border starts a split second after Cirno dies (allowing it to last JUST long enough to pick up the items dropped by the 3rd strong fairy in the 2nd half of the stage).

Even so, sometimes it seems there are simply not enough power items o_o
That's rare though.

I use Reimu A.
Advocate of Transhumanism

Silentsword

• Ace Hakurei Attorney
  • Practical solutions to impractical problems!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 03:17:36 AM »
It can be done, but it's probably not cost-effective, as it only earns you a few thousand Cherry during the brief time in Stage 2 that you otherwise would still be collecting Power.  There's a couple of ways that can be mashed together to try and make it work.  It is even possible to get to 128 before Letty.  Note I said "possible".  You gotta have Huge Good Luck to do so.

- Die at the very beginning, before collecting ANYTHING.  This nets you an extra 13 power, for no cost whatsoever (assuming that you are already able to finish with 8 lives.  Otherwise, your milage may vary.)

- Get a Border either as a result of Cirno's demise, or reach ~49,000 Cherry+ as a result, allowing you to auto-collect the power items for most of the second half of the stage. 
This nets you extra power early, but it costs on higher difficulties: MarisaA (at least) can easily get a Border during Cirno's spellcard, which gets her an extra ~17,500 Cherry+ towards her next one if you let the Border run out before killing Cirno....which, coincidentally enough, allows her to get THREE Borders during Stage 1, with some change in the bank for the next stage (anywhere from 2,500-8,000), where earning the Border after Cirno only gets me two Borders, with 10,000 to 30,000 banked towards the next.
ReimuB can get the in-card Border as well - with a dash of luck.  I don't know about the others, as those two fit me far better than any of the others.  It may be that, for the other characters, getting the late Border combined with an early death would put you ahead on Cherry.  I don't know.....

- Use a bomb at some point to auto-collect items that otherwise fall through the cracks.
"But if I don't do this, then all that's left is to stand around and do nothing, and I've discovered I can't do that. That's the problem with the freedom of choice he was talking about: once you've got it, you can't live with yourself very comfortably if you choose not to exercise it." - Commander Warner Caslet.

Nuclear Fusion