Author Topic: Let's talk about Scott Pilgrim AND Inception *spoilers*  (Read 8691 times)

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
Let's talk about Scott Pilgrim AND Inception *spoilers*
« on: August 22, 2010, 04:34:11 AM »
..because I saw both of these movies over the past two weeks and am itching to gush. :3 Warning from the getgo that there *WILL* be spoilers, and I am not expecting people to use spoiler tags in this thread and painting it black. Proceed at your own risk if you haven't seen either yet.  (And I mean, if you're worried about spoilers why are you reading this thread anyway >:|)

Also, this is totally not a 'Movies' thread because god we have too many megathreads already. But if the topic evolves into other movies I won't stop it.

Anyway. Just got out of the theater after watching Inception, and wooow. :o I was a little put off at first because it was feeling vaguely like a ripoff of Paprika, but it came unto its own soon enough. Currently liking this interpretation of the movie I caught off Penny Arcade, but i'm still riding the high from my memories of the film. Kinda want to start carrying around a totem now, does that make me a huge dork? 

Also, Ellen Paaaage :*

AHEM. So, I also watched Scott Pilgrim twice over the past week and a half. Can't remember the last time I saw a movie twice in theatres, but it was worth it. Michael Sera made me skeptical that i'd like his interpretation of Pilgrim, but he pulled it off well enough. The visuals, soundtrack, timing, and delivery of the movie was AWESOME. Lots of hits, very few misses. Definitely did the graphic novels justice.

So, anyone see either of these and what did you think?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 04:41:19 AM by Nobu »
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Drake

Re: Let's talk about Scott Pilgrim AND Inception *spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:46:57 AM »
scott pilgrim was fucking amazing

that is all

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 04:48:51 AM »
oh no you don't

Like, what parts were amazing? :3 Care to elaborate?

JT

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 05:36:20 AM »
I honestly think they could have done a lot worse than Michael Cera. It could have been Shia LaBeouf. Nicolas Cage would be Ramona. Or better yet, just have Shia LaBeouf play Ramona too. Have him play every character. SCOTT PILGRIM: LABEOUF EDITION

But yeah, everything Edgar Wright is involved in is automatically great. See Shaun of the Dead if you haven't yet.

Drake

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 05:37:29 AM »
There was absolutely no way I was expecting the fight scenes to be so elaborate. Like holy cow the fight scenes were good. The shoutouts to many video games through sound effects and etc were another tidbit I really liked, especially since I recognized nearly all of them Ha ha, old chap! (there was quite a bit of Zelda it seemed). The entire thing was pretty on-the-track to the comic itself, I loved the comical bright and colorful design of the whole movie, how nobody comments on anything out-of-the-ordinary happening (including murdering people and their bodies turning into coins), and the whole quick and precise subtlety to every movement and camera switch.

I noticed it before this movie, but Cera seems to always take the role of the bumbling dude that does nothing, is put up against the super 'manly' guys and ultimately ends up manning up himself. I dunno, he just seems to really fit these kinds of roles so perfectly and this movie was no exception. It's obvious he's a fan of video games to begin with, so yeah.

ALSO VEGAN POLICE WERE POSSIBLY THE BEST PART OF THE WHOLE THING

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 07:19:21 AM »
Anyway. Just got out of the theater after watching Inception, and wooow. :o

I watched it tewice just to make sure I didn't miss one little detail I wasn't sure about.
And to make sure I was on the right plane of reality. I mean there's five of them. Four in the movie plus our own. More than once I was a bit confused about this :3
I even thought of taking a notebook and a pencil for the second time, but I didn't because uh, I couldn't find a pencil :<

Oh, and
Quote from: article
The tears you cry during Up are totally real, even if absolutely nothing that you see on screen has ever existed in the physical world.
Yes.

And
In a lot of ways Inception is a bookend to last summer's Inglorious Basterds. In that film Quentin Tarantino celebrated the ways that cinema could change the world, while in Inception Nolan is examining the ways that cinema, the ultimate shared dream, can change an individual.
This quote just won my heart. As a movie lover and a gigantic tarantino fanboy I also see both movies as the celebration of cinema itself, in all it's ability to shift reality without shifting reality, to touch without approaching, and to be closer than possible to the audience, without touching. see what I mean? did I sound cool enough?

tl;dr Inception :* :* :* :* :*
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 01:55:44 PM »
Scott Pilgrim was great. Doesn't even come close to the original, though. Just too much stuff being jammed into such a short time. But the Cinematography is some of the best I've ever seen, and Michael Cera does a much better job than I expected. Overall, the movie just felt kinda rushed, especially at the end. I dunno. Maybe I'm biased, as a longtime of the comic. Or maybe I'm just angry that they left out the lesbian makeout session.
Let me back into CPMC :|

Autumn

• Autumn is coming!~~~
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »
Scott Pilgrim was awesome!

The Katayanagi twins were the best  :V

"Gelato isn't vegan?"
"It's milk and eggs, bitch."  :3

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 04:20:55 AM »

YEAH~! *highfives*

I think one of my most favorite moments in Scott Pilgrim (hard to pick because so many) was when Ramona blocks the kick from Roxie and pulls out GIANT FUCKING HAMMER. Hammers are quickly becoming one of my favorite ridiculous weapons for people to wield :3c

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 01:42:55 PM »
Inception was pretty cool beans. I probably should've watched it a second time :<

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 12:49:20 AM »
YEAH~! *highfives*

I think one of my most favorite moments in Scott Pilgrim (hard to pick because so many) was when Ramona blocks the kick from Roxie and pulls out GIANT FUCKING HAMMER. Hammers are quickly becoming one of my favorite ridiculous weapons for people to wield :3c

That was taken from her battle with Envy, actually. Ramona gets insecure about the size of her hammer.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 12:56:39 AM »
I still need to read the comics. I read the first volume or two a long while back, planning on picking them up as soon as I get funding.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 02:07:24 AM »
I still need to read the comics. I read the first volume or two a long while back, planning on picking them up as soon as I get funding.
You should. They're quite good. Especially from Vol.3 on.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 02:21:58 AM »
I'm gonna watch Scott Pilgrim soon.

But Inception...fuck I loved that movie and at first I was all, "What the fuck just happened? I couldn't comprehend all that awesomeness that just came out of one movie", but after reading some articles about the movie, I realized and was able to absorb it all at once.

Watch Inception if you damn haven't. Do it or die.

MOTHERfan42

• That Guy With The Face
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 12:52:57 PM »
I haven't seen Inception, but I've heard nothing but great things about it.

Before the movie came out, I've occasionally heard about the Scott Pilgrim comics. I downloaded the free Scott Pilgrim app on my iPod Touch that lets you read the first chapter of Volume 1 for free before seeing the movie. When I finally did see the movie, I was pretty impressed. Usually when I watch a movie based on a video game/TV show/etc, I'm mentally criticizing the director on how badly he messed up the original material. Not so with Scott Pilgrim! From what little I read on the little Scott Pilgrim app, the director did his best to rip images out of the comics and bring them into reality and honestly, he did a really good job! After seeing the movie, I went on Amazon and ordered all 6 volumes of Scott Pilgrim as well as downloading the Scott Pilgrim game on the Xbox 360.

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 07:56:41 PM »
Saw Scott Pilgrim yesterday, utterly blown away. It's like watching a live-action SHAFT production.

Also, the soy milk carton that appears behind Scott during the fight with Todd... that's the same brand I drink, coincidentally.

Dootsy

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 08:16:29 AM »
I didn't care for Scott Pilgrim because the only characters I really liked, Kim and Knives, kind of got treated like shit throughout the whole movie. Plus, as someone who's been in Knives' position before, I sided with her and didn't really care for Scott or Ramona. Objectively it was very a witty and well-written movie; I just didn't like it for subjective reasons. :p

I loved Inception though, I even saw it twice

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 08:27:22 AM »
I want to see Scott Pilgrim, my sister showed me the books. She's crazy about the movie.

I had the fortune of seeing Inception though, it was a very good movie I gotta say. Especially the music, Hans Zimmerman is a music composing genius. There's also a bunch of minor details that have a great impact on the movie too that you don't see the first time but you catch on the second or third time. I love how they did that, probably made a good amount of money as a good amount of people went to see the movie multiple times to understand it.

boke

• ボケ
  • ゆっくりした結果がこれだよ
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 04:54:20 AM »
Inception: I also believe that it was all a dream.  The story about his wife really sums it up.  I figured she was right, and that they were dreaming, and she was the one who escaped the dream, leaving him behind.  As for that ambiguous ending, clearly it was left open to interpretation deliberately so that viewers could forge their own idea.  Personally, I believe what I see, and seeing as the top only wobbled a bit at best, I don't believe it fell.  Of course, the article OP linked to asserts that fallen over or not, it's irrelevant.

Scott Pilgrim:  I also saw this twice.  I was absolutely blown away the first time, but the second time I was a little bored.  It's definitely a great head film in any case, as was Inception.  :V

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 02:53:53 AM »
Inception was great.

At the end some random guy in the middle of the theater sprang up and shouted "Bullshit!" right after the cut to black. And it was hilarious.

Drake

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 06:08:48 AM »

(click for hi-res)

Release date: November 9th
MSRP: $30 for DVD, $40 for Blu-Ray/DVD combo.

BONUS FEATURES AVAILABLE ON BLU-RAY? AND DVD:

DELETED AND ALTERNATE SCENES with commentary from director/producer/ co-writer Edgar Wright
    SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE BLOOPERS
    FEATURE COMMENTARIES:
    - Feature Commentary with director/producer/co-writer Edgar Wright, co-writer Michael Bacall and Author Bryan Lee O?Malley
    - Technical Commentary with director/producer/co-writer Edgar Wright and director of photography Bill Pope
    - Cast commentary with Michael Cera, Jason Schwartzman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ellen Wong and Brandon Routh
    - Cast commentary with Anna Kendrick, Aubrey Plaza, Kieran Culkin and Mark Webber
    BEHIND-THE-SCENES PHOTO GALLERIES including Edgar Wright?s photo blog
    TRIVIA TRACK
    GALLERIES: Production photos, art galleries and marketing concepts.

BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE ON BLU-RAY? COMBO PACK:

INSIDER DOCUMENTARIES:
    - Making of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
    - Music Featurette
    - You Too Can Be Sex Bob-Omb
    ALTERNATE FOOTAGE: A special look at alternative edits to the film.
    PRE-PRODUCTION: A look inside the film?s pre-production process including storyboards, pre-visualizations, animatics, motion capture tests, rehearsal footage, casting tapes, hair/make-up tests and more!
    THE MUSIC OF SCOTT PILGIRM VS. THE WORLD: This feature includes four complete music videos and video remixes from legendary DJ Osymyso.
    VISUAL EFFECTS: This feature takes a second look at the movie?s inventive visual effects.
    SOUND WORK:  A mini documentary about the creation of the film?s super-powered sonic landscape.
    TRAILERS & TV SPOTS from the theatrical release of the film
    ADULT SWIM?: Scott Pilgrim vs. The Animation
    SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE CENSORS: TV safe version
    BEHIND-THE-SCENES PRODUCTION BLOGS from the set of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World by director /producer/ co-writer Edgar Wright.
    STORYBOARD PICTURE-IN-PICTURE
    DIGITAL COPY OF THE FILM: Blu-ray? consumers can download a digital version of the movie to their Mac? and or Windows? PC for a limited time only.
holy shit man

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 05:29:38 PM »
Looking at that box art makes me wish Michael Sera didn't have a head shaped like an ice cream cone.

But wow, holy extras. :o

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 05:33:37 PM »
Oh wow, all those extras look amaz-

* Moerin checks online for pre-orders for that version.

...Fuckdamnit I hate you Region Oners getting all the cool stuff. ;_;
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"