Author Topic: Your Touhou Bad Habits  (Read 30609 times)

Your Touhou Bad Habits
« on: August 17, 2010, 01:36:25 AM »
Everyone has one, if its from something like an itchy nose every time you play to something like, using a bomb when you want to finish off someone quick or just getting to cocky when your about to finish a spell card.
Well heres my list

- Whenever im using a character without homing bullets I usually end up looking at where my target is more than the bullets flying towards me. I only do this when there are very few bullets or an easy graze/dodge. Tho I still end up dieing...

-  I always end up knocking something over, most of the times its one of my speakers.

-  I charge straight up to whoever im fighting when they talk, and hit them with as many bullets as possible before I have to go back. Sometimes the bullets just fly at me to fast to react and run to the bottom of the screen. *Cough* Youmu's first attack *cough*

- Whenever I finish a spell card and the powerups appear, I always try to collect them but I forget that if I run into the boss i'll die X . X
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:06:11 PM by K.K. »

Re: Your Touhou Bad Habits
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:08:28 AM »
I prioritize grabbing an item I need over saving my skin on the lower levels. I can't tell you how many times I've thrown away a perfectly good run by making a desperate break for a juicy powerup or the PoC (usually play as Marisa, after all). This is particularly annoying in the UFO demo. I'm fairly certain I would not do so poorly if I didn't feel the urge to dive into the danmaku and grab a ufo, especially since the powerups change over time, making it even more to keep track of at once.

Also, in the games with the MoF continue system, if I lose a life too early in the level, I throw away both of my other lives so that I can continue. If I'm still on a run from the previous level, I'll try to hang on, but that doesn't last too long and then I'm stuck trying to play flawlessly in the first half of the stage to make up for losing all of my lives.

Bloom Nobly~

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:05:18 AM »
I try way too hard to get red UFOs in UFO, and it often gets me killed. :V

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 04:12:28 AM »
Sometimes when I'm playing StB or DS, I end up tapping slightly forward before I take a picture. Works most of the time, but sometimes I run into a bullet. I gotta consciously keep my finger from hitting the up arrow until i press z.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:14:35 AM »

Same.

I also tend to avoid using spellcards. I always think "I should save this for some time when I really need it." Then I underestimate every situation and I never end up using them.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 04:17:44 AM »
"Well, time to bomb. I know! I'll ram a bullet intentionally and bomb to get a deathbomb, just like in Mountain of Fai- oh fuck, I missed the deathbomb, holy shit I am retarded."

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 05:09:21 AM »
Same.

I also tend to avoid using spellcards. I always think "I should save this for some time when I really need it." Then I underestimate every situation and I never end up using them.

You have no fucking idea how much I hate dying when I have bombs left. :getdown:

ebarrett

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 06:08:10 AM »
*impossible fluke dodge*
"how the hell did I surv- GODDAMNIT"

Also: lazybombing.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 06:19:32 AM »
Happens in many place, but especially in Remillia's cards
Oh hey here is a giant wall. You know what? it's such a good idea to go through it cuz miracles will help me survive!

SAS

• The Worst Person In the World
  • I have a deathwish
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 03:41:31 PM »
I have severe point-blanking syndrome.
Also, I have to collect ALL the items.
ALL OF THEM.
WITH AUTOCOLLECT.

ALL OF THEM.
WITH AUTOCOLLECT.

ALL OF THEM.
WITH AUTOCOLLECT.

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 03:46:04 PM »
Same.

I have the exact same problem.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 04:03:01 PM »
I've recently been playing PoFV and I notice that I have a habit of always checking the opponent's side, no matter how many bullets are shot at me. This doesn't really get me killed, however. It's usually the fact that I get so disoriented when the bullets flood my side that I start running into them out of a panic.

There is one bad thing I do a lot. When my opponent summons a boss to my side or when Lily White appears, I feel compelled to defeat her AND collect the item they drop, disregarding the bullets. Sometimes I do  manage to collect said item while avoiding bullets. Sometimes I am able to collect it and activate it before getting hit by a bullet. Sometimes I ignore it. And other times I get hit while trying to grab it.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 04:04:37 PM »
"Well, time to bomb. I know! I'll ram a bullet intentionally and bomb to get a deathbomb, just like in Mountain of Fai- oh fuck, I missed the deathbomb, holy shit I am retarded."

I forgot to mention that one. Tho I just usually dont use a bomb at all and think "oh I could get past that" *dies* "*knocks over speaker* "BULL"
Then I end up dieing with all those leftover bombs, mainly in IN. That game is way to generous with bombs.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 04:51:45 PM »

It's even worse when you do it in non- Touhou shmups.  :derp:

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 07:08:20 PM »
It's even worse when you do it in non- Touhou shmups.  :derp:
I tried it in Raiden Jet Fighters.  :/

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 07:25:06 PM »

Same. Annoying, because those lil' bastards are s'posed to help you live LONGER.

Oh, and grabbing pickups while not looking if a bullet's right next to me.

And weirdly enough, I've dodged - several different times, mind you - into a bullet that I could have avoided by sitting still.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 07:28:51 PM »
I'm still ironing out a habit of not freezing stuff when an attack is about to end. My last attempt at GFW Lunatic went downhill fast during A-1 Stage 3 because of that.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Formless God

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 09:27:08 PM »
POC at every goddamn opportunity.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 09:30:36 PM »
I like to graze everything. Everything. Even the ungrazeable. Even in survival runs. Even in No Vert runs.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Udongein

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 10:27:22 PM »
I look away from the screen too much.

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »
Aside from IN's extra, I tend to get excited easily, and die a lot.

Also, aside from IN's Extra, I tend to just move without looking, oftenly dying.

Also, POC, EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY.

Vanishing Sock Puppet

• Phantasmic Scribbler
  • brb exploding in a black hole
    • The Sock Drawer
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 10:53:46 PM »
I don't bomb. In fact, I can count the amount of times I've actively bombed in a windows game on my fingers. The only Touhou game I've bombed a lot in was Lotus Land Story, which outright encouraged it.

Also, I have a bad habit of quitting and restarting when I die once. Even on higher levels.

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 11:21:25 PM »
Every game outright encourages bombing.

Your encouragement is the bullets that are about to hit you.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 01:11:30 AM »
Every game outright encourages bombing.

Your encouragement is the bullets that are about to hit you.

THIS

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 01:27:31 AM »
POC at every goddamn opportunity.

Of course! How could I forget my obsession with the POC?

I also tend to do it in games that don't have a POC... and then miss my powerups...

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 05:44:05 AM »
Come to think of it, I do have a pretty nasty habit of hoarding bombs... which doesn't do me any good because I don't even use them when I need them. I remember last time I had a serious chance to 1cc Imperishable Night, it was my untrained bomb reflexes that ruined me.

Bloom Nobly~

HyperGumba

• Substitutional Immortality
  • Touhou MUCK's PR Person or something
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 12:36:12 PM »
I tend to stay at the autocollect borderline a lot, even if there are thousands of bullets around me. It doesn't end well when doing this at boss fights, it kinda works in mid stage. Except when it comes to bumping into fairies.
Also always failing to death bomb, when I even think about bombing, I always hoard those things without ever using them.

Oh, and when I die I ALWAYS give up and continue from the beginning.

Clicking the signature leads you to our flash-based web client! ~ Here is some extensive info on TM! ~ I also have a Tumblr now!

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 02:08:42 PM »
I always try to collect above the PoC.
I always run into bullets thinking "hey I could dodge that" with bombs in stock.
I always play as Marisa, even in games she's bad in (PCB is a big one)

stands2reason

• I'm a perfectly normal shrine maiden.
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 03:12:40 PM »
If I'm doing good for a while, I get in the habit of not bombing, die unnecessarily, even when I might have been able to counter-bomb.  When I'm not doing great,  I get jumpy and bomb too much...

I have a habit of dying trying to get to the PoC.

I tend to take a while on bosses that move around a lot. I usually focus on the bullets, and I'll only occasionally check to make sure I'm actually hitting the target.

Zerro

• ERRORS,
  • ERRORS EVERYWHERE
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 12:30:16 AM »
The itchy nose thing gets me killed more than I care to share.

Also, those stupid UFO's. Constantly bouncing around the screen like a freaking hyperactive child on caffeine distracting me.
If I don't die from that, I run into bullets trying to get them off the screen/get just one, tiny, extra life.
Life's a shmup, play on lunatic.