Author Topic: Touhou is NOT an anime!  (Read 94998 times)

Re: Touhou is NOT an anime!
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
Maybe I should make a Touhou information thread or something explaining the whole thing. I doubt the mods would read it though. I hate people you can't reason with.

Blackraptor

• Furniture
  • The guy with the thing over there at the place
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2009, 12:49:17 AM »
Animesuki

Well, there's your problem! Funny thing is, the Touhou anime isn't even official. It was a doujin anime and they think that it should be considered as a full anime by that. If that was indeed the case then Touhou Side Story should count as well. Silly humans...

Quintafeira12

« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »
Need English-Japanese translations? Sounds like my cue.

So I gave it a shot to translate the entire clip mentioned above.
It's highly possible to contain weird English. Feel free to post corrections.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGegCta6F1o

I feel... so... exhausted now...
I'm off to bed, good night folks...

We humbly bow to you and thank you for this favor

« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2009, 02:40:15 PM »

Put it up as my Channel Video.

« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2009, 03:23:34 PM »
Recently, somebody wrote AGAIN a comment on a Touhou video asking which anime this is. After freaking out, I came to the idea of making a video, in which Touhou fans say "Touhou is NOT an anime!" in several languages. I'm pretty sure that this idea will died rather quickly because nobody's interested, but I thought I'd try it anyways.

I could do the German phrase BTW.
What do you expect? Touhou is drawn in a (poor) anime style. It's much more common for the anime to get a spinoff game than the other way around (compare all the Naruto games to the Tales of... anime >_>).

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2009, 03:33:07 PM »
Recently, somebody wrote AGAIN a comment on a Touhou video asking which anime this is. After freaking out, I came to the idea of making a video, in which Touhou fans say "Touhou is NOT an anime!" in several languages. I'm pretty sure that this idea will died rather quickly because nobody's interested, but I thought I'd try it anyways.

I could do the German phrase BTW.
What do you expect? Touhou is drawn in a (poor) anime style. It's much more common for the anime to get a spinoff game than the other way around (compare all the Naruto games to the Tales of... anime >_>).
Just reading the first post doesn't help. This thread's topic changed drastically since then.

Drake

« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2009, 06:37:53 PM »
lol tales of the abyss anime

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2009, 03:49:33 AM »
Fuck this whole idea.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2009, 03:53:36 AM »
Wow. That is irritating to read, even if it was you.

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2009, 03:57:32 AM »
Can our heroes stop Slowpoke's dastardly scheme of misinformation? Or will the entire internet be doomed to the same ignorance that befell Animesuki?

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2009, 03:59:46 AM »
...Die.

##Yuyuko Doll:Slowpoke

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2009, 04:02:34 AM »
Can our heroes stop Slowpoke's dastardly scheme of misinformation? Or will the entire internet be doomed to the same ignorance that befell Animesuki?
The latter, because people are idiots.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2009, 04:02:40 AM »
Is will never die, as long as there is an anime video about it, people will assume it has an anime. You could also be one of them in other occasion...for instance...Vocaloid.

I won't call them idiot though, they just asking that's all. I dno't expect people to research whatever they see on youtube if they can just ask and get a quick reply on comment.

Drake

« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2009, 04:03:31 AM »
10/10 would rage again etcetcetc

Also I've used the translated What is Touhou five times already.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2009, 04:14:22 AM »
I won't call them idiot though, they just asking that's all. I dno't expect people to research whatever they see on youtube if they can just ask and get a quick reply on comment.
I see where you're coming from, but I remain rooted to my former comment.

It takes just as much effort to use Google as it does to ask a dumb question. People don't stop to say, "wait I should reserach this a bit before I say something stupid." Nay, people are too lazy to use their heads and do reserach on something, they expect others to think for them. Therefore, those people don't deserve the leniance of saying 'Oh they're new let's just let them say it's an anime because they don't know no better'. We wouldn't have this problem if folks weren't like this. But can expect people to change?

No. None of them will, because they're even too lazy to do that.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 04:19:05 AM by Nrvnqsr Erebus »
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2009, 04:20:41 AM »
Have to agree with that. Maybe feed them false information to screw them around will make them smarter.  ;D

Drake

« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2009, 04:29:14 AM »
Guy 1: What is Touhou? I've heard of it, but I'm too lazy to actually search for what it is.
Guy 2: It's an anime.
Guy 1: Oh.

months later

Guy 3: what is touhou lol
Guy 1: (Tee hee I'll feed him the wrong information and confuse everyone)
Guy 1: IT'S A DIFFICULT VERTICAL SHOOT 'EM UP GAME IN THE BULLET HELL GENRE
Guy 3: k cool
Guy 1: Well I showed that guy

« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2009, 06:27:32 AM »
Quote from: Pastpoet
In response to Mark2000, just to clarify, the reason I mentioned Youtube's lax society is that the bar for comment standards is much lower than your typical forum post. Why shouldn't a youtube user ask a lazy question when the front page time is transient and other equally brusque comments are being made? If the same person takes as just as much or more effort to ask the question repeatedly when they don't get a response, that's quite different but such isn't always be the case. Besides even on a forum they don't usually expect you to go off site before asking the question, as is being suggested here. In short, I meant to bring into consideration the context of your social setting, not that the social setting changes the difficulty of research. How difficult the research is, at least for the most part, another point entirely.

To Amaterasu, I'm not so sure search tags are that basic of an internet function, there's so much more to the worldwide web than just b-Logs and the few audio-visual sites that use them. I normally don't encounter them much elsewhere myself. As far as titles go, I feel they're mostly irrelevant to the general problem at hand. The average person probably views them merely as an identifying label, as opposed to a pile of search terms they can punch into google. They might not even realize this simplicity is a possibility, until it's pointed out to them. Also, there's no set naming convention that makes titles necessarily useful either; Overdrive certainly isn't. For both tags and titles, we have to assume a certain amount of vocabulary from a person in order to pick anything out anyway. Tsukihime Touhou Acruid Sakuya Remilia Flandre Yuri Loli Doujin Manga won't mean anything to an Anime initiate, to make an illustratively over the top example. It becomes a game of Where's Touhou, so to speak.

I actually wrote this some time ago. However, I decided it'd be a bit overbearing to post because I'd said I'd bow out and that it would take away from the informative video which was just translated when I finally finished writing this. I'm not worried about it as much anymore for some reason though and mother always did tell me it's rude not to respond to people when being directly talked to. Besides, it's better late than never, I guess. XP

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2009, 08:50:47 AM »
To Amaterasu, I'm not so sure search tags are that basic of an internet function etc.

They are, but what I meant was Googling terms you're not familiar with is a pretty basic and widespread internet ability. I seriosly don't think you'd dispute this. If a person can't expend the energy to do that much, they'll be met with either a) Answer Men or, more likely, b) scorn and annoyance. Way it goes.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Yoslime

• Like embarrassing me, huh?
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2009, 12:36:48 PM »

orz
Bookmarked for posterity.

Seconded.

We humbly bow to you and thank you for this favor

Put it up as my Channel Video.

Thank you for your acceptance, folks.
I feel like my effort has been rewarded.

Let me provide my opinion on the topic, I think it's no wonder the newcomers incorrectly understand Touhou as an anime. The reason has been already stated by Marisa on the clip that I've put the sub; you cannot deny the fact that it's the secondary derivatives that ignited the boom.

(As for me, I cannot thank enough to Reisen, for she told me this epic creations. It's not Overdrive, but its derivative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqFOB77jLaE.
It was a few days later that I've found Dracil's IN Extra run on YouTube (cannot thank him enough as well), and on that day I've mail-ordered EoSD, PCB and IN).

The sub I've put is one of my constructive 'answer' on this topic.

« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2009, 05:42:28 PM »
To Amaterasu, I'm not so sure search tags are that basic of an internet function etc.

They are, but what I meant was Googling terms you're not familiar with is a pretty basic and widespread internet ability. I seriosly don't think you'd dispute this. If a person can't expend the energy to do that much, they'll be met with either a) Answer Men or, more likely, b) scorn and annoyance. Way it goes.

Are you really certain about that? I haven't come across them until years after I started surfing myself because I went to online forums, company websites, small image galleries, fansites, yahoo mail, yahoo chess and so on. b-Logs and news sites bored me since they weren't relevant to my interests. I somehow avoided YouTube for years and even when I finally was randomly linked to a video, I didn't know there were tags there due to a poor user interface. The noticing the teeny tiny more info link you need to click to even see them is bad enough but to list them so sloppily makes them just look almost like et cetera clutter nonsense as opposed to anything useful. Usually other tagged websites have them readily visible next to the content, at the very least.

I won't dispute that searching for terms you're unfamiliar with is a pretty basic concept for the average web user. I do question if that assumption is valid, considering how YouTube links spread throughout the web but regardless, this isn't quite my point. I just mean to show how under differing circumstances, even fundamental basic concepts can be difficult, confusing or simply overlooked. Take the relevancy of this following example as you will, however I've got a question: Have you ever lost your keys? I think if you've ever had any, you probably have. Everybody does it from time to time. Don't you think that to prevent losing things, it's a pretty basic and simple concept to always put them in the same place? If you've lost them however you've clearly hadn't been doing that otherwise they'd not be lost. Now you're stuck searching all around the house for your keys because you have to go out grocery shopping and want to lock up the house to keep it safe and drive your car out to take care of some urgent errands. Is that idiotic and wasteful or just simply normal and human like any other number of matters?

Also, it's the scorn and annoyance aspect I find so utterly incomprehensible. This isn't the binary choice you make it out to be. There is a third option; ignoring it. It'd be far more polite to just overlook such posts if you think they aren't even worth the time, than to essentially troll them as is suggested in this topic multiple times. I also don't think that asking a simple question is all so dumb as people are making it out to be. I'd even go so far as to say that this question is one of the more intelligent, comprehensible things people do in the comments section on YouTube. No, really, I'm not kidding. I mean to say, "You guys do go to the same YouTube I do, right?" Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't spam YouTube. For example, if one person repetitiously asking to the point where he'd expended more effort than the research would, I could definitely see it as annoying. To a lesser extent, I can see the same if the question phrasing makes the answer particularly self-evident. As things stand now though, it's a far more broadly aimed issue than that. This question is really not worth the emotion, at least not in my opinion.

As a separate comment, to whatever japanese person actually made the video, Yosline and also even to Donut to some extent for the translation suggestion, yeah this is a great answer. It's both very informative and quite polite. It's also long winded and dumbed down enough to serve as a gateway to filter out less savory fans who aren't so attentive or bore easily, thus keeping the fandom to a level of relatively pleasant obscurity. What? Don't look at me like that. I can say long winded if I want. :P On the behalf of everybody involved, I'd like to say its a perfectly suited answer and give a heartfelt thanks. Well almost everybody, I'm not so sure I'd want a little kid finding out about eroge games just because of this. XD However, I'd like to add that having an answer ready, doesn't necessarily prevent people from asking though...

Tengukami

« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2009, 06:28:07 PM »
I won't dispute that searching for terms you're unfamiliar with is a pretty basic concept for the average web user. I do question if that assumption is valid, considering how YouTube links spread throughout the web but regardless, this isn't quite my point. I just mean to show how under differing circumstances, even fundamental basic concepts can be difficult, confusing or simply overlooked.

Forums create FAQ's, data centers create search engines, and game series create wikis that can be navigated by primary school children and the severely mentally handicapped. You see a video on YouTube, you see the words "IOSYS" and "Touhou" in the tags, you go to Google. I can't imagine what sort of "differing circumstances" would make this as complicated a process as you're making it out to be.

Also, it's the scorn and annoyance aspect I find so utterly incomprehensible. This isn't the binary choice you make it out to be. There is a third option; ignoring it. It'd be far more polite to just overlook such posts if you think they aren't even worth the time

Well, sure, it'd be nice if everyone was kinder to each other on the internet. I wasn't advocating either position; just saying how it is. People who ignore these posts aren't in the equation. And while there are plenty of kind souls who are happy to be someone's personal search engine, for the most part, as has been repeatedly pointed out in this thread, people tend to be annoyed with people who ask others to do the info-gathering legwork for them. Especially as when someone responds to one of these people with "google it", these same people who don't have the time, energy or cognitive capacity to search key words will fly into a fit of rage demanding someone answer their questions, often using more time and energy than they'd need to reach the answer themselves. If that helps you understand where the annoyance comes from.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2009, 05:21:16 AM »
Forums create FAQ's, data centers create search engines, and game series create wikis that can be navigated by primary school children and the severely mentally handicapped. You see a video on YouTube, you see the words "IOSYS" and "Touhou" in the tags, you go to Google. I can't imagine what sort of "differing circumstances" would make this as complicated a process as you're making it out to be.

Keep in mind that forum F.A.Q.s usually only pertain to the main subjects and Frequently Asked Questions of the forums. You won't find an F.A.Q for Touhou on Megaman or Final Fantasy forums. There's no reason to think there might be a prior subject on the matter in such specialized environments either. By the time you get to a Touhou forum such as this, you likely already know what Touhou is so that source is out of the equation entirely. The exact manner in how you should ask with it might vary pendent on the circumstance, but I don't feel it's entirely out of the question. To make a long story short, the moderators will probably let you know if you did it wrong and you'll know better for next time. As far as the rest goes, I agree using the tools to do the the search can be easy. I don't feel just because it can be easy, that we should assume it always is though. You're working a step ahead of me because you feel it's obvious by necessity. IoSYS and Touhou are pretty strange words after all. I'm mostly working from just a step before though. This is mostly but not entirely because I feel the assumption that something should simply be obvious is too much for somebody who's completely new.

As long as school children have been brought up, I feel it's fair game to use them for illustrative purposes. Let's take one of the most basic problems in school. What's 1+1? The answer to that is a perfectly obvious to you and me. One of the few things that can be said to be common knowledge around the educated world even. You have textbooks with the answer written down, flash cards to help people memorize, calculators that will even work out the problem for you etc. etc. However the school system don't work on the assumption that a kindergarten students automatically knows the answer, simply because there are so many means to find the answer out and it's so easy to work out yourself. We have teachers explain the logic behind the process and give them the answer, without even expecting them to ask. Similarly, all throughout the required learning process, students usually to have a place to go to should they feel they're absolutely stumped on a subject. Be it with the teachers, parents, study group, a helpful classmate or what have you. While the point is to teach them how to function in society as an independent individual, I'm of no doubt that the average student would be in a very poor position if they were just left on their own.

Yeah, yeah, I suppose it's silly to compare this situation to school but I'm not the one who initially brought it up. :P My viewpoints generally have to do with expectancy anyway so I guess it works. School isn't the only place where this sort of social demographic is applicable, just one of the easier ones to demonstrate since it's so universal.

Well, sure, it'd be nice if everyone was kinder to each other on the internet. I wasn't advocating either position; just saying how it is. People who ignore these posts aren't in the equation. And while there are plenty of kind souls who are happy to be someone's personal search engine, for the most part, as has been repeatedly pointed out in this thread, people tend to be annoyed with people who ask others to do the info-gathering legwork for them. Especially as when someone responds to one of these people with "google it", these same people who don't have the time, energy or cognitive capacity to search key words will fly into a fit of rage demanding someone answer their questions, often using more time and energy than they'd need to reach the answer themselves. If that helps you understand where the annoyance comes from.

While I can see your point about it being the reality of things, I think that the people who ignore it do come into the equation. This is because it is a potential course of action for somebody coming across this exact situation. I feel it's far more polite than taking effort at being unhelpful, calling people dumb, shouting out corrections to minute misunderstandings or deliberately feeding people misinformation. Since the answer is aimed to the audience, it's not anybody's responsibility to provide any sort of response. I never said it was myself. I too believe if somebody demands answers that's certainly rude. They shouldn't be expectant of an answer just because they ask. If anything, they should consider it a favor and be grateful if somebody bothers to answer their question. However, I feel that just asking in and of itself isn't necessarily demanding and does not in and of itself illicit any form of negative reaction.

Off topic entirely: I wish forum software allowed for proper indentation. XD

Tengukami

« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2009, 03:42:02 PM »
I don't know. I still think you're maybe complicating a really simple thing, but we seem to be spinning wheels here, so screw it.

« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2009, 04:28:37 PM »
Eh, maybe I am overcomplicating it. I feel with all my wordiness it's very important to reitterate that it doesn't have to be all that hard, just hard enough to pass the threshold of contextual appropriateness. The whole issue of bringing up difficulties and effort was just to show how that threshold could easily be reached, not to make a mountain out of the task. I can see how it'd be taken that way though, as these difficulties ended up being the focal point at my end of the discussion. Yeah, it's kinda pointless to go on and on like we have been though, since the viewpoints are different down to the fundamental core. We'd probably never come to an agreement... Oh well.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:36:22 PM by Tonepoet »