Author Topic: Gensoushoujo Wars/Taisen Thread (Super Touhou Wars)  (Read 11928 times)

Gensoushoujo Wars/Taisen Thread (Super Touhou Wars)
« on: August 16, 2010, 05:16:49 AM »
I'm surprised no one's mentioned this game yet.  For those of you who have no idea what the fuck this game is supposed to be, it's easily described as a Touhou-fied version of Super Robot Wars.  It's quite fun too.  I was a bit skeptical at how one would implement danmaku and grazing in a SRPG at first, but the game does a good job at combining tactical combat with your typical Touhou elements.  The game is rather difficult for people who aren't used to SRPGs like SRW and Fire Emblem, but it doesn't have a very steep learning curve.

I've managed to get up to mission 11 on hard mode so far, but I think I might be stuck. 
Spoiler:
You end up fighting Remilia, Meiling, Patchouli, and Sakuya at the same time, and each of them can easily one-shot any character in your roster.
  Sakuya is a bitch to fight considering that she automatically dodges every attack once she guards, not to mention her insane attack power and crit rate.  I was going to attack her with Cirno using the invincible SP command, but I forgot to cast it and this happened.

The site for the game can be located here.  The latest patch is the 1.02 one, but you need to patch the 1.01 one first in order for it to work.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Gensoushoujo Wars/Taisen Thread (Super Touhou Wars)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 06:27:32 AM »
I'm surprised no one's mentioned this game yet.  For those of you who have no idea what the fuck this game is supposed to be, it's easily described as a Touhou-fied version of Super Robot Wars.  It's quite fun too.  I was a bit skeptical at how one would implement danmaku and grazing in a SRPG at first, but the game does a good job at combining tactical combat with your typical Touhou elements.  The game is rather difficult for people who aren't used to SRPGs like SRW and Fire Emblem, but it doesn't have a very steep learning curve.

I've managed to get up to mission 11 on hard mode so far, but I think I might be stuck. 
Spoiler:
You end up fighting Remilia, Meiling, Patchouli, and Sakuya at the same time, and each of them can easily one-shot any character in your roster.
  Sakuya is a bitch to fight considering that she automatically dodges every attack once she guards, not to mention her insane attack power and crit rate.  I was going to attack her with Cirno using the invincible SP command, but I forgot to cast it and this happened.

The site for the game can be located here.  The latest patch is the 1.02 one, but you need to patch the 1.01 one first in order for it to work.

I've never played a SRW game before, but I saw videos for this game and have wanted it for over a year now. It's top of my "HELP ME FORZAAAAA!!!!" list >=)

I can't read Japanese though so I wont be able to enjoy it really for some time. I figure the more untranslated Japanese games I get, the more motivation I'll get to learn the damn language...Though motivation isn't what I'm lacking so much as some bloody free time from my family. I need to take a proper course where they can't disturb me >=p

ANYWAYYYY... I've been wanting to try a SRW game so I can get the hang of this one easier, do you have any suggestions as to which? I understand there was only 1 released in North America, but I rekon there are plenty with fan translations?

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:29:11 AM »
There were 2 in North America, actually, but yeah, there are a few fan translations out there.  Fewer than you'd expect, surprisingly - the games are apparently difficult to hack or something.

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
  • RIP 7/21/2010-9/10/2010
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 06:37:26 AM »
is this game free?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 06:42:15 AM by Lord Phantasm Satori »

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 06:41:53 AM »
There were 2 in North America, actually, but yeah, there are a few fan translations out there.  Fewer than you'd expect, surprisingly - the games are apparently difficult to hack or something.

Shit ton of text. A good 70-80% of the time you spend in the games is just the story. Also one specific guy has claims to a good deal of them and... yeah, he's not actually doing much.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 07:24:08 AM »
Yeah, that'd do it too, I heard that Alpha's script was multiple megabytes of plaintext or something.

And no, not free, it was sold at Comiket I believe.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 08:39:25 AM »
I'm trying to get into this.  More or less enjoyable, though it really will benefit from an english patch, even if just to take care of the menus and victory conditions, etc etc.

Although I'm going to wait until it's actually stabilized in patches, since the 1.02 patch broke WP attacks (They freeze the game up) and that seems to have activated with Fantasy Seal as well at the end(?) of chapter 4, so uh... yeah.

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 11:05:14 AM »
Touhou SRW hell yeah! That's my two of favourite crazy Japanese things combined! I really hope this one will get translated someday.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:39:22 PM »
so... what, I have to buy SRW AND the touhou hack?! if that's what you meant, then that is CHEAP!

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 09:41:43 PM »
so... what, I have to buy SRW AND the touhou hack?! if that's what you meant, then that is CHEAP!
It's not a hack.  It's a stand alone game.

Also, STOP SNIPING ME REMI.  DAGFASFASFASASGF

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 10:05:32 PM »
so then... how/where do I get it? I can't find anything on their site...

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 01:15:00 AM »
so then... how/where do I get it? I can't find anything on their site...

Pretty sure you have to buy it.

Except I'm not entirely sure where you could get it in Nipponland. I could check later :3c

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 01:31:07 AM »
Flandre is balls hard.

*SupremeBogus ragequits*

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 02:04:23 AM »
Pretty sure you have to buy it.

Except I'm not entirely sure where you could get it in Nipponland. I could check later :3c

Nipponland? wtf is that?

also: that flandre vid was freakin awesome! what a take on her unstoppable "kyuu" ability.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:07:59 AM by Lord Phantasm Satori »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 05:23:23 AM »
I imagine Nipponland is a goofy weeabooery way of saying Japan. Why? I don't know.

On that subject though, if the Japanese call their Country Nihon...wtf is it called Japan? Nihon isn't particularly hard to say in English, and even if it was, there's a helluva lot more similar sounding ways to say it than Japan!

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 06:55:41 AM »
um... I live in the US. I really don't give a fuck where I can get it in japan. any info on that would mean nothing to me.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 07:10:44 AM »
um... I live in the US. I really don't give a fuck where I can get it in japan. any info on that would mean nothing to me.

The thing is you DONT get it from anywhere but Japan. So you ask someone who lives there to get it for you, but because it's doujin, it's not exactly something you find at the Japanese version of ebgames... So knowing where to get it in Japan is still important.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 07:12:58 AM »
On that subject though, if the Japanese call their Country Nihon...wtf is it called Japan? Nihon isn't particularly hard to say in English, and even if it was, there's a helluva lot more similar sounding ways to say it than Japan!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan#Etymology
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 08:49:57 PM »
just to clarify: all I wanted to know was if the game could be bought online... apparently that is not the case.

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 08:57:47 PM »
Okay, I started playing this. For a SRW fan this is basically the best thing ever. The game also feels surprisingly well made, the backgrounds are pretty and the animations are better than I expected. And it's Touhou so the music is just naturally great. Luckily the GUI is exactly like an SRW-game so I have no trouble playing this. I have finished enough of them with only story translation guides to be fully comfortable playing them blind. English patch would still be beyond awesome.

Started in Normal difficulty, because it was the default one and with Reimu (do the characters have separate routes?). I'm only at the second mission but I'm already loving this.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 09:05:40 PM »
Oh I've seen gameplay vids of this. Seems like one of those game I'd enjoy more if it was in English xD

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 10:14:26 PM »
just to clarify: all I wanted to know was if the game could be bought online... apparently that is not the case.

As far as I know, that's correct, which is the case for pretty much (if not) every Touhou fangame.

Luckily we have Forza, don't worry, we're willing to share a piece of him with you.
http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,566.0.html

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 12:25:19 AM »
As far as I know, that's correct, which is the case for pretty much (if not) every Touhou fangame.

Seen a few exceptions, like Labyrinth of Touhou and Koumajou Densetsu - Scarlet Symphony
 (the castlevania one).

It's on Melon Books, Tora no Ana and Messe Sanoh. That was fairly annoying to find on their site, it's only in the blog section.

None of those deal internationaly, so you'll need a person in Japan.

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 04:22:06 AM »
meh, it's not my fault if they're poor at common sense/marketing. I can understand and completely accept a website in japanese, because I can use google translator, but not being able to purchase games from there is an entirely different story. I'm not sure what possesses those people to make less money than they should be making... (sorry about ranting, but this entire situation is just too unbelievable for me to understand. It's like if rinnosuke only sold to youkai... or humans... or to the people who live on his street.)

led

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 09:46:54 AM »
meh, it's not my fault if they're poor at common sense/marketing. I can understand and completely accept a website in japanese, because I can use google translator, but not being able to purchase games from there is an entirely different story. I'm not sure what possesses those people to make less money than they should be making... (sorry about ranting, but this entire situation is just too unbelievable for me to understand. It's like if rinnosuke only sold to youkai... or humans... or to the people who live on his street.)

Selling games overseas is somewhat troublesome to do, there are quite a few logistics issues to solve(customs, shipping, tax, etc.). These games are often made in very limited quantities anyway. Selling to customers in their area takes priority over everything else.

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 08:51:41 PM »
you could always do it the standard indie way and sell it virtually. so you'd get to download the full product after you've paid for it.