Author Topic: Nerdy Crafts!  (Read 15425 times)

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
Nerdy Crafts!
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:59:28 AM »
Because in the off-chance I haven't fulfilled my hand sewing quota for the decade when sewing my Meiling outfit last month, I decided to give cross stitching a try.

So as a proof of a concept I got one of those dinky $1 Christmas mini kits and knock it out pretty quickly (despite being the only person picking up this skill not at age 7 from a grandmother and instead via trial and error from the interwebs)

Then I recall that I need to get my brother a birthday gift.
And that Christmas colors look an awful lot like NES Mario colors.

So also grabbed some peachy floss and some light blue stitching fabric and then....

It's not totally finished as I still need to glue and trim the fabric bit but I'm really happy with how it turned out for my first real attempt at something.  For something that I knocked out in a day not too shabby at all, even if I'm going to nitpick individual stitches but blahblahblah that's no surprise considering how much of a perfectionist I am when it comes to sewing things.

Of course MJP has already conscripted me to make him a Meiling somethingsomething for Chrismas/Hannukah/whatever it is we celebrate.  But beyond that...?  Hmm, I wonder!

I also wonder if there's any other nerdy (or otherwise) crafters here.  I should see if I can hunt down the SNES controller and Pac-Man ghost cakes I've made MJP for birthdays past those were fun too  :V

Re: Nerdy Crafts!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 05:02:01 AM »
I only just took up cross-stitch (like seriously, my first stitches were tonight) but I might do something with vidya gaem sprites some future day~

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 05:04:51 AM »
That is absurdly cute. I need to do something nerdy along those lines. Hmm, I wonder how hard it would be to make one of my own drawings a jigsaw puzzle, to put and glue together. I do love my jigsaw puzzles. :3

I only just took up cross-stitch (like seriously, my first stitches were tonight) but I might do something with vidya gaem sprites some future day~
I'm kinda sucktacular at sewing, crocheting, and everything related to delicate needlework and such. D:

On the other hand, I like to make figurines from salt dough, though I haven't done it in ages. They make for good refrigerator magnets. Perhaps I should do something nerdy with them. :3

Drake

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 05:09:47 AM »
I do papercrafts and wax bead pictures.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

triangles

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:09:53 AM »

My first stitches were last night so :hi5: newbie craft buddy!
It's actually not as scary as I thought it'd be, there's a number of patterns online and there's a free program that'll convert sprites for you into a pattern + floss chart.  Super handy.

Oh and I did find pics of one of the cakes I spoke of in the OP:

It's not as nice as I remember I was a cake slacker oh well!

EDIT:
I do papercrafts and wax bead pictures.
ohoho got any pics?

Drake

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 05:13:31 AM »
Just hang on a bit for the papercrafts.

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 11:39:30 AM »
Did a lot of papercrafts when I had too much free time. I flipped through a lot of designs, but wound up finding that Lunatica was my favorite group that made these. Here's a couple photos:

Eirin, Flandre, and Yuyuko on a "?" block plus trifoce.
A Reisen that was later donated to SCIENCE.

Not pictured are Reimu, Sakuya, and a much larger Miku that needed a shoulder transplant after I got glue everywhere and wound up damaging her. Ugh, why can't I image this morning?

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

triangles

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 12:34:52 PM »
awesomeness
Ahhh the Perler beads I loved those as a kid  :*
...I was just always spilling them and making a mess :(
Where do you find the Touhou sprites to use as a guide?  Is there a site you recommend?

more awesomeness
Ahhh papercraft  :*
That I know I don't have the DEX scores to do but I always love seeing what people can do with it. 
Maybe I should learn to decorate my desk at school with  :o

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 05:33:14 PM »
bead stuff

Oh, I did this once! I made Arche(Tales) for a friend of mine. :V

It was fun.

I also second triangles' request for the sprites. :V

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 06:45:01 PM »
Working on a Kanako Guncannon.
Let me back into CPMC :|

Zakenna

• fomer Internet tough guy
  • Ahh After 10,000 years I'm free!
    • polyvinylcrush
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 06:55:24 PM »
o wow those wax beads are awesome. I've always wanted to try wax beads out but never had the time.

but yeah I build models....anime models...where I turn this

into this

more niche than Gundam models and less respect from the model community as a whole. But I love it.

Sriggle

• Drop the pills!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 06:57:43 PM »
Wow! Awesome painting job on Marisa, I really like the skirt.-lots of love seems to have gone into it.

Not sure if this counts, but I remember asking my dad to make me a Zelda cake for my ninth birthday. It was complete with a little marzipan-Link on top.

Also, I've made several GBC-containers in shop class. One with Pokemon-knockoff cloth.
Japanese progress: To the point where I can read a manga with the help of an electronic dictionary.

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »
o wow those wax beads are awesome. I've always wanted to try wax beads out but never had the time.

but yeah I build models....anime models...where I turn this

into this

more niche than Gundam models and less respect from the model community as a whole. But I love it.

Very nice. Resin kits, I suppose? Handpaint or airbrush?
Let me back into CPMC :|

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 10:26:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure Drake's beadthings used the Patchcon sprites; I've got a sprite sheet saved somewhere with pretty much everyone in at least that style (I'm not sure if it's a 100% match on the ones that were in the game but it's close enough and they're cute either way :V), I'll attach it.

There's all sorts of pixel stuff on 'booru that might make cute cross-stitch or bead or similar projects, come to think of it. Maybe one or two of the things from this or this in a fairly small cross-stitch would be cute, especially since there's also uploads of the individual buildings for the latter to make it easier to sort out. =P (Warning: links are Danbooru so the usual "images themselves are safe, but ads may not be")

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 05:50:20 PM »
decided to do an etch for Oblivion in djmax came out like this:

might try a touhou one later
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:53:29 PM by demonpoodle »

Sakuya Izayoi

• Smartest Man on the Forum
  • Ozymandias has begun a mysterious construction!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 09:19:32 PM »
My still unfinished Mini-Hakkero papercraft. It's still missing the legs and the central funnel, and I got some glue on the top so I need to reprint that part out and glue it on top.

Drake

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 10:23:47 PM »
Finish your Rubik's cube, you bum.

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 10:40:36 PM »
and your meal while you're at it.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 09:58:24 PM »
Cross stiching just became awesomely cool all of a sudden.

Also loving that etch.

Tiliesola x01

• Administrator of Agepan
  • The world needs all of its precious lives
    • Next Phantasm...
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 12:36:34 AM »
but yeah I build models....anime models...

Awesome.  I saw an Ar Ru figure recently that also made me want to get into clay ... but I've only been working on Maid Guy Badges so far.  I need to actually get around to making some out of something more permanent than modelling clay ... too much to do, too little time :x

Quote from: demonpoodle
decided to do an etch for Oblivion in djmax came out like this:

AMAZING :o
Fou ki ra hyear, presia reen;
Was zweie ra na stel zuieg, manaf
Ma zweie ra irs manaf chyet oz omnis

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 04:51:50 AM »
God*damn* suddenly I really want to do this in cross-stitch someday: http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/665001/

It'd be pretty ambitious and I do have other things in mind I'd like to do first, but I think that'd be gorgeous.  :o

Drake

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 04:54:31 AM »
Have fun stitching 160000 pockets.

triangles

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 05:15:22 AM »
Zakenna - was that your Marisa in the Otakon model contest, then?  I figure the odds are pretty good it was then!  I was totally fangirling all over it when I was in the art show it was awesomesauce  :3

I'm working on a cross stitch now for my sister's birthday since she was totally digging the mini one I did for my brother.  Unfortunately the craft store was lacking a few key colors so I had to skip around more than I'd like initially, and it's a helluva lot more complex (27 colors  and 3.5"x5.2" :o) but it should come nicely!

The Patchcon sprite sheet is just what I'm looking for!  I can crank out a Meiling magnet probably with lots of the thread I'm using for my sister's design and fit it in one of those impulse isle 99cent magnet picture frames  :V

EDIT: Arashi DAMN WOMAN that's crazy!  It'd definitely look awesome but that's a crazy amount of stitching (might be able to cheat with navy blue fabric backing actually that's probably a good idea to cut out a good chunk of the edging)  It's not an obscene amount of colors it looks like at least, but it's gotta be well over four square feet big, depending on the count fabric  :o :o :o :o

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 05:33:35 AM »
EDIT: Arashi DAMN WOMAN that's crazy!  It'd definitely look awesome but that's a crazy amount of stitching (might be able to cheat with navy blue fabric backing actually that's probably a good idea to cut out a good chunk of the edging)  It's not an obscene amount of colors it looks like at least, but it's gotta be well over four square feet big, depending on the count fabric  :o :o :o :o

GIMP clocks it in at 44 colors, poking around with software it does look like it scales down pretty well so it won't necessarily be every pixel accounted for. ;) Like I said though, definitely ambitious and definitely for much later.

triangles

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 04:11:48 AM »
In the cross stitch programs I've fiddled with you can select how many colors you want, which is nice if it decided that you need 3 stitches worth of medium dark navy blue when you'd honestly be fine with medium navy blue just to save yourself the hassle (this is something I wish I done with my current project!)

As for more content, here's my progress on my sister's birthday gift, based on one of her favorite video games.  I think there's enough done that you guys can guess what it is I'm stitching  :V

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 04:20:20 AM »
In the cross stitch programs I've fiddled with you can select how many colors you want, which is nice if it decided that you need 3 stitches worth of medium dark navy blue when you'd honestly be fine with medium navy blue just to save yourself the hassle (this is something I wish I done with my current project!)

Oh yeah, with the one I've been fiddling with (though I may fiddle with some others too) you can put a cap on the number of colors it works with initially, and change stuff, and if you change a color to a color that's already in the chart it'll merge the two. :3 I just think it's kinda nice to have the actual color numbers for an actual thread company as at least a starting point for matching stuff when shopping, especially since in my experience color printers are at least as variable as monitors in how they actually display, heh.

Zakenna

• fomer Internet tough guy
  • Ahh After 10,000 years I'm free!
    • polyvinylcrush
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 04:59:28 AM »
so I actually went and bought some wax beads in a starter kit last week because of this thread. Just fiddling around with it atm but when my mom caught wind of what I was up to she revealed she still had a crafts box full of beads from 15 years ago.   :o so hopefully I'll have something to show soon
Very nice. Resin kits, I suppose? Handpaint or airbrush?

yeah it's resin and I airbrush  :D
Zakenna - was that your Marisa in the Otakon model contest, then?  I figure the odds are pretty good it was then!  I was totally fangirling all over it when I was in the art show it was awesomesauce  :3

yep it's the same one. Broke a few stars on the trip home too but I managed to fix them.

triangles

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 04:02:02 PM »
Ahahaha oh wow does the timestamp remind me how long it took me to finish this.  I blame having a Real Job now.

So I present a finished picture of my sister's birthday Christmas New Year's gift!

All I need to do is figure out what sort of frame I want to pop it in and if I need to sew on a ribbon trim to make up for the fact I goofed and cut the fabric to size BEFORE stitching so the fabric doesn't fray or show edges  :ohdear:
[attach=1]

VIVItheFujoshi

• Blackouts=Makeouts! ;)
  • hohoho~*
    • in devianart
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »
some things who i done in all this years.

last photo, Marisa dress for a doll and Yuyuko and patchouli feather-soft modified dolls.
Sariel pin.
Youki mini rag doll.
Rinnosuke rag doll with a VERY detailed outfit. n_n

more things
http://vivitheheiwa.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=168#/dh000v MY clay Vivi, only mine.
http://vivitheheiwa.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d1rltul
http://vivitheheiwa.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d23r86g my pocket reverse harem 1 and 2 (30 in total)
http://vivitheheiwa.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=48#/d1eyv3d Marisa Cosplay (done with mom)
http://vivitheheiwa.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=96#/dnx4vh My Aoi Moneybag. (OC)
http://vivitheheiwa.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=168#/dh335j The 3 Blackwaltzes done with laces and wood balls!
http://vivitheheiwa.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=192#/dgvqpk VERY GHOTIC LOLITA black mages. XD
http://vivitheheiwa.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=168#/dgzztm VIVItheMana. XD

and have lots of chibi papercrafts, some repainted (29! only japan vocaloids,viploids genderbends and others) the papaercraft hakkero (no complete XD), and a stand papercraft with the four Metar Gear Moe in pants XD (in really, was a print of the draws of the models, cut them and do a stand XD)

Monochrome Rainbow~* Technicolor Ochoufujoshi!
(?y ahora en espa?ol ,yay!) he will be Adequate?