Author Topic: Star Wars- Any Fans?  (Read 19535 times)

CirnoFan

• I never thought I'd get this chance :O!
Star Wars- Any Fans?
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:05:13 PM »
Michael, my little brother, says that Star Wars is more popular than any other type of media in the world, including Touhou. But this forum is full of Touhou fans. Are there any fans of Touhou and Star Wars at the same time?

I'm not a Star Wars fan, though.
Previous Usernames: CirnoFan754, CirnoFan, The Scale of Rivalry, The Square of Rivalries, Wikipe-Tan, Car Inferno
Posts: 83/150 What will happen is my YouTube and deviantART account will appear when the # of posts reaches 150.

No, I didn't make it.

Toasty

Space Balls - Any fans?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:31:41 PM »
Your brother needs to research his facts a bit more thoroughly.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Star Wars- Any Fans?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 10:47:24 PM »
Thrawn 4 lyfe, dawg.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:59:56 PM »
But this forum is full of Touhou fans. Are there any fans of Touhou and Star Wars at the same time?
Yes. Very yes. Not hardcore, but the only movies I'll ever stop to watch on TV without fail are Star Wars ones. Star Wars is definitely a favorite of mine.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Bananamatic

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:07:16 PM »
Yes. Very yes. Not hardcore, but the only movies I'll ever stop to watch on TV without fail are Star Wars ones. Star Wars is definitely a favorite of mine.
same

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 11:10:15 PM »
I love Star Wars lol
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 11:15:10 PM »
Michael, my little brother, says that Star Wars is more popular than any other type of media in the world, including Touhou.
Science Time!  BV

First, as a technicality, Star Wars is not a type of media. It is a franchise spanning around a movie series that has been brought to pretty much any relevant medium. Thus we should compare different franchises to one another.

Second, the question is on what grounds popularity can be measured, evaluated and compared.

The most obvious idea would be to judge by the size of the fanbase. This would, however, bring up the eternal question of what constitutes an actual "fan".
If we set the bar low, then Star Wars would easily win out against touhou because it is generally a widely known movie series throughout the world, whereas touhou is well known only in Japan. However, in that case, there are many other well-known and popular franchises or artists who can rival Star Wars's. How about Star Trek? The Beatles? Disney? Harry Potter is on it's way there.
If we set the bar for "true" fandom high, then even with Starwars's expanded universe, the merchandise and all other ascpects, Touhou should not be too far behind, if at all, and several other franchises should be there as well. Star Trek says "hello" again, for example.
Middle ground is difficult.
If you want to include everybody who knows of the work and then quantify singular fans by degree of fan-hood, then I will tell you that this is futile on enough levels that I shouldn't have to explain it.

If we go by the size of works the franchise has produced, even with Star Wars's huge amount of merchandise, the Expanded Universe novels, the games et cetera, this all is not enough to overcome the ridiculous amounts of fanwork generated by the Touhou fandom.

:munch:
Oh, and on the topic of my own stance on Star Wars, yeah, the movies were entertaining. Even episode 1 and 2, because I hadn't seen the originals and was too young at that time to anticipate what was supposedly wrong with them. Then again, I don't regard the original trilogy as the huge masterworks many people claim them to be. 

Oh yeah, and this thread may be better suited for the general off-topic forum, but don't take my word for this.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 11:18:26 PM »
the original movies were a part of my childhood and most star wars vidya games are pretty good

beyond that I am not that much of a fan

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Matsuri

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 11:20:34 PM »
I was a huge fan of Star Wars when I was a kid.

Then the newer three movies came out, and my brother turned into a hyper-obsessive fanatic. I'm thoroughly sick of it now. :P

I will, however, watch the original trilogy anytime it's on, because it's nostalgic :3

Anything past that is pretty eh to me.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 11:27:22 PM »
I'm kind of a fan in that manner that I like the six movies, played some games, and that's it. Also, while the 3 prequels were kinda good, I still say they were unnecessary.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 11:30:16 PM »
DEUTSCHLAND TIME

Btw, I don't recall the new trilogy being the trainwreck all the old people claim it to be.
As a second generation fan I can't see both trilogies being that apart from each other, I see them as 6 movies, one story
                                                                                   .

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 11:33:37 PM »
I wanted a lightsaber as a child :(

I still want one, man. If I ever do become a teacher, whenever someone comes into my office, I will throw them one of those toy lightsabers (green or blue; the red ones are mine) and challenge them to a duel before I listen to them.

Oh and also
Oh yeah, and this thread may be better suited for the general off-topic forum, but don't take my word for this.
You can take my word for it, though. EDIT: Moved.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 11:37:47 PM »
Star Wars being the most popular media franchise ever is quite possible, depending on the standards used. If one looks at gross revenue, for example, they'd certainly be way up there, while Touhou would not.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 11:49:40 PM »
Comparing Touhou to Star Wars is kind of silly, as Touhou is possibly the most popular independantly made franchise while Star Wars is so much more popular, being mainstream and all.

And yes, I do like Star Wars. I even think The Phantom Menace is an entertaining movie if taken at face value. I own a lightsaber toy and everything, but my sister never wants to fight me. :(
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Matsuri

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 11:50:41 PM »
Donut, if I ever meet you in person somehow, we will have a lightsaber duel. We must.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 11:53:23 PM »
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-nut.

The circle is now complete.  When I left you, I was but an Easy Mode player; now I am the Lunatic."

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 12:03:52 AM »
I've wanted a pair of them FX sabers for years, but that kind of stuff is bizarrely expensive and hard to find here.

There was just one dude selling a couple in the local Jedicon a couple of years ago, and he was asking R$500 each or something. I might import them one day, but that'll only happen when Japan and games stop stealing all my money
                                                                                   .

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 12:04:41 AM »
Star Wars is basically Jidai Geki IN SPACE. Why wouldn't I like it is the better question.

If I ever see any of you Touhoufags down my way here in the Rockies, I will challenge you to a duel, complete with Force Lightning and everything. Totally.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 12:05:19 AM »
Oh bby it's on
                                                                                   .

nintendonut888

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 12:07:56 AM »
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-nut.

The circle is now complete.  When I left you, I was but an Easy Mode player; now I am the Lunatic."

Only a lunatic of Windows Shim. (shut up let it work)

And it's a deal. Me, Ruro, and Matsuri all get together and have a jedi duel using cardboard lightsabers and going "vroom, vroom" while making special attack poses.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 12:08:36 AM »
Lightsabers don't go vroom vroom
                                                                                   .

Matsuri

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 12:09:26 AM »
If I ever see any of you Touhoufags down my way here in the Rockies, I will challenge you to a duel, complete with Force Lightning and everything. Totally.

And it's a deal. Me, Ruro, and Matsuri all get together and have a jedi duel using cardboard lightsabers and going "vroom, vroom" while making special attack poses.

Hell yes. 8)

theshirn

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 12:10:35 AM »
Only a lunatic of Windows Shim. (shut up let it work)
Your powers are weak, stale pastry.

Lightsabers don't go vroom vroom
Yeah, they go "vwom, vwom vwKSSSHHHHZZZT, BSHZZT KZZT KZZRAT, vwomomom, kZZSHHHT".  Seriously, people.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 12:12:26 AM »
Nothing beats the Missile Boat. 

NOTHING. 

Haters gonna hate.

nintendonut888

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 12:14:34 AM »
You can't win Shim. If you make me clip I will spam practice mode and become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 12:15:54 AM »
Nothing beats the Missile Boat. 

NOTHING. 

hataters gonna hatate.

There's a missile boat in Star Wars? I thought they were only in Macross and giant robot games.

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

theshirn

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 12:22:26 AM »
You can't win Shim. If you make me clip I will spam practice mode and become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
You should not have restarted.

nintendonut888

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 12:29:53 AM »
You should not have restarted.

* Donut dodges theshim's assault, then catches Baity out of the corner of his eye. He smiles and doesn't dodge a wall

PICHUUUUUUUUN.

theshirn

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 12:34:46 AM »
* theshim grabs the power items from Obi-nut's corpse

Okay, I think we're done here.  That was fun.

And yes, I've got the original three nearly memorized.  Them, and Stackpole's books, are the best things to come from Star Wars.

Also this.

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010, 01:01:22 AM »
I'm kind of a fan in that manner that I like the six movies, played some games, and that's it.
Also, while the 3 prequels were kinda good, I still say they were unnecessary.

Pretty much this and the CN series.

Also,

SOUNDS IN SPACE WHOOO!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:06:34 AM by Cadmas »