Author Topic: Psychological Films (or series/anime)...  (Read 7633 times)

Kyaksa

• Fred-Erika Bernkastel Mirrors Rika's True Nature: Spoiled child
  • When They Cry: You are probably dead now
Psychological Films (or series/anime)...
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:18:04 PM »
Hello... I was wondering if you'd people like to talk about some Psychological Stuff you seen, Not long I watch a film called "Girl, Interrupted" Which was base on a Memior of the same name by the Writer who is also in the Story (Susanna Kaysen). It wouldn't be called much a Psyschological film in some sense, but it does talk about mostly... and I also understand alot of Susanna Kaysen at the end of the film.

There's another series called Serial Experiments Lain which is a psychological Series about Humans and Technology, which is surprisingly true if you take in mind it was made before it became somewhat a reality.

And Finally a famous film called "Donnie Darko" It's psychological as it thoerical.... I don't think I need to explain much but "Action and Consqeunce"

V-V if you know good Psychological films, series (new or old) please talk about them here...

Sorry If I didn't see if there was an old topic like this... I saw Books so I was thinking films.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
Re: Psychological Films (or series/anime)...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »
I'm afraid I don't completely follow what you mean by 'Psychological', though the examples you gave help give me a rough idea. Could you explain what it is that you'd consider 'psychological', or how you'd define it?
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Kyaksa

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 12:32:44 PM »
I'm afraid I don't completely follow what you mean by 'Psychological', though the examples you gave help give me a rough idea. Could you explain what it is that you'd consider 'psychological', or how you'd define it?

Well... :3 I guess I would define them as something that looks over Human life, How we comport in certain nature(ambient)... But I guess it's really hard to say, I mean if you play Higurashi 'kai' (the Visual Novel) It is a strong psychological outlook of the Murder... how they became insane.... what makes people be pushed to their limits.

-3- That's how I would define Psychological.... But  :ohdear: It wouldn't be surprising if I was wrong.

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 02:33:58 PM »
1. Full Metal Jacket. I'd say the first half fits well here, showing the different effects of training on the recruits. Mainly Joker and Pyle as anyone who's seen the film should know.

2. Shigofumi is a damn good psychological anime.  It's about a girl who works in a kind of "delivery service" from the dead to the living giving the dead's final message to whoever they chose back on earth. There are a few different stories each 1 or 2 episodes long and also some overlying main plot that comes in for the final episodes, if I remember rightly.

3. Finally not something you can watch, but if you ever get a chance to read the manga Confidential Confessions I'd recommend you do. There are a few different stories in each volume, so it deals with a lot of different things. Problems at home, bullying, suicide, rape, teenage prostitution... stuff like that and showing how that affects the characters outlook on life. Well worth the read.

That's all I have for now, but I could probably think of some more if I kept at it. :V
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 02:37:40 PM by Flibble »

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 03:34:58 PM »
Well, an example of "psychological" media that first came to mind for me would be the Silent Hill video game franchise. Rather than BLOOD AND CORPSES AND BLEAGHAGAGAGAGAGAH like in typical horror media, Silent Hill messes with your mind. No pop-out corpses, no bloodied zombies coming after you in droves. Silent Hill is the horror of being totally and utterly alone. That the games are also so heavily symbolic adds another layer of depth to them and gets you thinking about why they're even there, or what they could possibly mean. The horror is just so subtle, it messes with you until you can't think straight about what's going on around you. Actually, in SH3,
Spoiler:
you find a room at the end of the game that's filled with nothing but corpses stuffed in bags; there's so many they're literally spilling out of the walls and lying haphazardly along the ground. It's in such striking contrast to the rest of the game's subtle mindfuck that it ends up being one of the most horrifying things in the game.

Another "psychological" series would be the Liar Game manga. It's people competing for an enormous amount of money to pay off their debts, but it quickly turns into a series of gambits that would put Death Note to shame. Literally everything in the series is about deception, lying, manipulation, and why people can do the things they do. It's pretty difficult to describe, but it's definitely worth a read OH WAIT CAN'T DO THAT ANYMORE :V

But yeah seriously, if you can ever play Silent Hill or read Liar Game, do it do it do it.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 03:58:23 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what "psychological" is supposed to mean here. Do you mean, maybe, shows that purposefully work on psychological abnormalities, that blur the line between reality and delusion?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kyaksa

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
In some sense--- I mean psychological as something that is realistic, I mean something that talks about how a person is, how life is, The whys, the hows, the who...

I'm saying that what makes the world how it is? Rome wasn't built in a day and nor are people or society and culture... The thing is Psychology can exist almost in all context or there wouldn't be a good series/films... But I'm talking about things that actaully have a sense of truth and envinorment of that truth.

There are people who suffer and suffer alone, there are people who suffer and are helped along the way and go on, there are people who suffer and never move on. Life is made of far too many elemant to be put in some simple sense...

>.< Psychological... urgh... I can't explain it more than I already have ( >.> Maybe I'm too stupid to think of a better way to explain it.)

Tengukami

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 04:07:26 PM »
You mean, movies and anime that focus more on the internal than the external?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »
I'm getting the impression that it's a more casual-speech use of "psychological" that better fits the term "philosophical" if you know the difference - that is, exploring and making you think about deep or serious issues. (Psychology is studying the way that people think and behave.)

Of course, I can take a little of that from even humorous sources...

On a more related note, a long two-image comic from Danbooru that's somewhat relevant: NOTE: Site has NSFW ads!
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Kyaksa

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 04:12:44 PM »
You mean, movies and anime that focus more on the internal than the external?

-3-... It depends... I mean, Some series do really well with the Internal others somewhat to external.

:ohdear:

I'm getting the impression that it's a more casual-speech use of "psychological" that better fits the term "philosophical" if you know the difference - that is, exploring and making you think about deep or serious issues. (Psychology is studying the way that people think and behave.)

Well... You may have a point  :ohdear:

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 05:45:39 PM »
Oh, is that what we're doing? I was using "psychological" more as "gets in your head and screws around with you" :ohdear:

Kyaksa

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 05:49:19 PM »
i don't think so...

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 06:01:42 PM »
Oh, is that what we're doing? I was using "psychological" more as "gets in your head and screws around with you" :ohdear:

That would probably be the basis of the casual use of the term. I'm being pedantic anyway.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 06:10:49 PM »
So I would say philosophical is the word we're looking for. Things that ponder on the nature of things, or ask questions not frequently asked. In that sense, Ghost in the Shell qualifies, so does A Clockwork Orange, and Schindler's List, and Fullmetal Alchemist, and Elfen Lied, and District 9, and Metal Gear Solid, etc. etc. etc.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 10:28:55 PM »
The problem is that you guys are using too many big words. Just say "Thinky Mindfuck" from now on.

I like Pi, it's a little bit weird for some people but eh.

On a more related note, a long two-image comic from Danbooru that's somewhat relevant: NOTE: Site has NSFW ads!

Oh dear god. I also like that the Nepal sticker is on the top of the Pokeball, implying that Pikachu may have visited the Dalai Lama as well.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Tengukami

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 10:35:25 PM »
I remember Pi being quite good.

There's also Kicking and Screaming (the older one, not the Will Farrell one), Momento, Barton Fink ...

This is a pretty broad subject, eh? I could go on and on with titles here.

Sriggle

• Drop the pills!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 10:54:11 PM »
Hmm, Yume Nikki is what I'd call Silent Hill, but for 16-bit.
It's mind-screwy, and you can choose your own interpretions on the things in it.

Also, Kino's journey. Just.. Kino's Journey. It's about a young traveler who travels from town to town, the main character for example comes from sadly recognizable circumstances, and lots of things in the series is, well.. It's hard to describe, but wholeheartedly reccomanded.
Japanese progress: To the point where I can read a manga with the help of an electronic dictionary.

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 02:22:04 AM »
i don't think so...

Ah. My apologies then :ohdear:
seriously though play silent hill it's amazing

Kyaksa

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 05:52:34 AM »
Posted by: SenSageUn
? on: Today at 02:22:04 am ? Insert Quote

Quote from: Kyaksa on August 07, 2010, 05:49:19 pm
i don't think so...

Ah. My apologies then
seriously though play silent hill it's amazing

DX No... I liked what you posted. I think it fits well...

--------------------------------

I downloaded Yume Nikki... But to be honest in the beginning the lack of dialogue got to me (bored the hell out of me) But when I read bit of the Walkthrough (because you knopw I was completely new to the game) I've yet to finish it but I heard it has an "ending"... I so want to see it... Only reason I'm playing it still.

EDIT: Silent hill, I never got the chance to play it... But I'm huge on Horror plots, which usually have a good amount of mindfuck and somewaht of a plot. (but I did play "The Room")

The only thing those SH5 and RE5 were absolute shit. SH5 was all (or mostly) A repeatention of stories we'd all seen before.
RE5 Wasn't scary at all... just action, only action. The only good Horror thing I have Is Alan Wake (Which I've yet to finish)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 05:57:26 AM by Kyaksa »

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 07:46:01 PM »
While I'm still not quite sure what exactly you mean, from the looks of it you'd probably also want to check out Eternal Darkness (Gamecube and... did it ever come out on another system?)

Also the movie Sunshine.  The last part of the movie's a bit of a disappointment, but it's something I do recommend.

As for books... Solaris is coming to mind.  I forget the author it's translated from Russian though.  There's been a few movies but I've only ever read the book.

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 07:53:08 PM »
While I'm still not quite sure what exactly you mean, from the looks of it you'd probably also want to check out Eternal Darkness (Gamecube and... did it ever come out on another system?)

Oh man, Eternal Darkness is the only game that scared me to the point I had to stop playing. I should go back and beat it some time.

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 03:40:31 AM »
Won't Inception fit somehow here?
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Kyaksa

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 08:01:25 AM »
Posted by: Ryuu
? on: August 08, 2010, 07:53:08 pm ? Insert Quote

Quote from: triangles on August 08, 2010, 07:46:01 pm

Oh man, Eternal Darkness is the only game that scared me to the point I had to stop playing. I should go back and beat it some time.

Since we're talking a bit about horrors... I may be a pansy but has anyone ever play a handmade game called "Which" I think it was made by the awesome Mikein(sp?) or something... you'd know him form his famous "Draw with Me" video. I can't get pass the first part without getting shudders DX... I am definetly a pansy.