Author Topic: Touhou musical tastes/questions  (Read 19773 times)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Re: Touhou musical tastes/questions
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 03:18:32 AM »
Well, that's my personal opinion. I could listen to near anything over most Touhou music ("most" because some tracks do manage to catch my interest, but nothing from the Windows games).

Right now, you're more of a troll than me.
So, what does catch your interest then?  PC-98 had some great stuff too (Alice in Wonderland takes up residence in my head for days at a time).

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 03:46:22 AM »
The only thing I can fondly remember was the Grimoire of Alice. Call me some weirdo techno-beat person, I'm really not. Just the only song in any Touhou that actually sounds like it fits, though it still doesn't.
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 07:59:36 AM »
I like IaMP's OST the most. With the exception of "Locked Girl ~ Girl's Secret Room" I prefer all the remixes to the original themes. Especially "Maiden's Capriccio". Oh, and the new themes are pretty sweet too!.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:05:12 AM by Chainsaw Guitar »

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 11:29:45 AM »
HRtP: Nothing too special, Eternal Shrine Maiden is one stand-out track.
SoEW: Quite a good OST, World of Empty Dreams, A Phantom's Boisterous Dance and Complete Darkness are awesome. Also worth mentioning the superior version of Master Spark.
PoDD: There's a few hits, many misses, good tracks include Reincarnation and Strawberry Crisis.
LLS: Wonderful soundtrack, one of the best in the series, Bad Apple, Lotus Love, Sleeping Terror, Dream Land, Inanimate Dream, the list goes on.
MS: Quite good, Romantic Children is great, lacks a large amount of stand-out tracks like it's prequel. A problem with MS's OST is that, using Infinite Being and Grimoire of Alice, the tracks are very very repetitive.
EoSD: This soundtrack doesn't hit me as much as it does a lot of people, my hits are Voile, the magic Library, Locked Girl and The Centennial Festival for Magical Girls.
PCB: Another great OST, the weaker stages on this are stage 2, stage 5 and extra.
IN: I don't like IN's OST, Voyage 1969 and History of the Moon are about the only good ones.
PoFV: Suffers the same fate as the other phantasmagoria, the good tracks are mainly exclusive to the new* characters. (*Swapping Aya out for Yuka) Therefore, Flower Land, Riverside View, Fate of Sixty Years and as a matter of fact in just the last week, Forsaken Doll has grown on me in the last week or so.
MoF: lol, MoF. Dark Road, Dark Side of Fate, that's it. Mostly horrible OST for a mostly horrible cast in a mostly horrible game.
SA: A brilliant increase in quality from the prequel, another stand-out OST in the series. One bad track?: Last Remote.
UFO: Hahahaha no, this is another MoF without a single good track even in the demo, hopefully TH13 will be to this what SA is to MoF.
IaMP: I don't enjoy this one too much, the shmup originals are the better ones, although Voile is great.
SWR: Same as IaMP, Legendary Fish and Tenshi's three themes are good.
StB: No.

Gpop

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
The only thing I can fondly remember was the Grimoire of Alice. Call me some weirdo techno-beat person, I'm really not. Just the only song in any Touhou that actually sounds like it fits, though it still doesn't.

Grimoire of Alice is still one of my favourite Touhou songs, and my favourite EX-boss touhou theme out there.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2009, 05:44:31 PM »
Sorry, I just have to point this out:

SoEW: Quite a good OST, World of Empty Dreams, A Phantom's Boisterous Dance and Complete Darkness are awesome. Also worth mentioning the superior version of Master Spark.
>SoEW
>Master Spark

...wut?  [Then again, I accidentally called Tengu's Notebook by the name of the dBu mix of it T.T]

Also: Is it just me or are the ~Flower Mix~, etc, tracks, almost the same as the originals?  I can't hear a difference...

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2009, 08:46:55 PM »
Sorry, I just have to point this out:
>SoEW
>Master Spark

...wut?  [Then again, I accidentally called Tengu's Notebook by the name of the dBu mix of it T.T]

Also: Is it just me or are the ~Flower Mix~, etc, tracks, almost the same as the originals?  I can't hear a difference...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubz8FBmfSA0

Love Coloured Magic is the original Love Coloured Master Spark from IN.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 05:29:11 AM »
I guess I'll do a breakdown thing as well. :x

HRtP: I like this soundtrack more than most people, Eternal Shrine Maiden, Now die, for the debt you have accumilated, CIVILIZATION OF MAGIC, Strange Oriental Discourse, Magic Mirror, The Legend of KAGE.

SoEW: I don't like this one at all really. One song that I like from it, She's in a Temper!!

PoDD: I'm not an advocate of the hit-or-miss theory when it comes to this game. The best songs from this game are without-a-doubt Lost Dream, Strawberry Crisis, and Mystic Oriental Love Consultation. The ones that I like but aren't amazing are Dream War, Sailor of Time, and Reincarnation. Maniacal Princess is right in the middle.

LLS: Everything in this soundtrack is awesome except for Selene's Light/Scarlet Phoneme. Decoration Battle is my favorite stage 1 boss theme and Perdition Crisis is my third favorite stage 3 boss theme. (behind two stellar tracks) Alice Maestra and Dreamy Pilot were both amazing, although I kinda wish he made the stage faster and used dreamy pilot. Lotus Love is good, Sleeping Terror is decent. Dream Land is AMAZING, and Inanimate Dream is decent. Inevitibly Forbidden Game suits the stage well, but Magic Shop of Raspberry is a lot better (then again, it's a lot better than most.) Icemilk Magic and Cute Devil are both wonderful.

MS: I love this one as well. Dream Express is the best stage 1 theme. Dimension of Reverie is my favorite stage 2 theme. Romantic Children and Plastic Mind are two of the best stage 3 themes out there. Yuki/Mai's themes weren't that great. LAST JUDGEMENT IS AWESOME. DOLL OF MISERY IS AWESOME. World's End is bleh. Infinite Being is good. Alice in Wonderland is my favorite stage theme, and tied with SFF as my favorite touhou song. GoA is Alice's best theme probably. Peaceful Romancer is <3 too.

EoSD: Blah. That is all I have to say. One gem in septette and...that's about it.

PCB: More blah. None of this soundtrack stands out at all to me except for Border of Life, Necro Fantasy, and Deep Mountain.

IN: Even MORE blah. None of this soundtrack stands out to me except for Lunatic Princess, History of the Moon, and Immortal Smoke.

PoFV: No.

MoF: Love it. Romantic fall is so pretty~ Dark Road is nice. TGtGL is wonderful. Candid Friend is horrible, but oh well. Fall of Fall is great, as is Mysterious Mountain (if only for the epic trumpet part.) Both stage 5 themes rock, and the stage 6 ones (especially SFF) kick ASS. SFF is tied for my favorite touhou song with Alice in Wonderland. :x Native Faith is okay, but gets beaten by other extra boss themes.

SA: It's good but not memorable. Lost Place, AFSSDoMO (Yuugi's theme), 3rd Eye, and Last Remote are the only songs that really stand out to me.

UFO: AMAZING so far. Every track is memorable besides maybe the stage 1 theme.

Okay, I'm going to eat some oreos now.   

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2009, 05:56:20 PM »
Love Coloured Magic is the original Love Coloured Master Spark from IN.

Trust me, I already knew that.  I was more joking about the fact that Master Spark didn't even appear until two games later.

Gambit

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2009, 07:17:55 PM »
HRTP: I haven’t played this enough to judge the music but I do like Sariel’s theme

SoEW: Same as above, Complete Darkness is the only one I can remember off the top of my head that I like.

PoDD: Lost dream, Reincarnation, Maple dream, Strawberry crisis and Mystic Oriental Love Consultation are my favorites everything else is either ok or bad.

LLS: This game has so many great tunes I don’t think there is a single one that I hate. Personal favorites are Selene’s light, Alice Maestra, Maidens Capriccio and Sleeping Terror.

MS: Once again Zun did a great job on the soundtrack. Infinite being, Alice in wonderland and Grimoire of Alice are great. 

EoSD: Hate Lunate Elf and Voile (prefers the Iamp version). Septette for a Dead Princess and Centennial Festival for Magical Girls are my favorites, everything else ranges from decent to good.

PCB: Excellent tracks all round, the only ones that I really did not like that much where Fantastic legend of tohno and Withered Leaf. 

Iamp: Kind of mixed on this one. Missing power is great.

IN: Weaker compared to the previous two but still good. Absolutely love Song of the night sparrow and Deaf to all but the song. Other notables for me are Old world, Reach for the Moon, and Lunatic Princess.

PoFV: Some of the tracks I would like if they weren’t so repetitive (Tewi’s theme and Mound of life to name a few) and the remixes don’t do the originals justice in most cases. Fate of Sixty years, Oriental dark flight and Wind god girl are my favorites.

STB: I only like Retrospective Kyoto.

MOF: My least favorite. I only really like Fall of Fall, Suwa Foughten Field and Gensokyo the Gods Loved. Hate Dark road.

SWR: Same as Iamp. I find Invisible full moon remix better than the original and Wonderful heaven is good. 

SA: Much better compared to the previous two which is funny because when I first started playing SA the only tracks that stuck out to me where Walking through the streets of a former hell and Be of good cheer. I also thought that Hartmann’s Youkai girl and Nuclear Fusion where the worst extra and stage 6 boss themes but now they have grown on me.

UFO: Wow is all I can say. If the rest of the games music is just as amazing then I think the UFO soundtrack will be my favorite. I love Kogasa’s theme and the stage 1 theme. Stage 2 theme and Ichirin’s theme are the only tracks I don’t really like.    
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 07:22:07 PM by Gambit »

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 07:35:42 PM »
Ichirin? You mean Nazrin?

If you don't like Nazrin's theme... then BURN.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2009, 07:36:45 PM »
No he means Ichirin.

Also, Yamame's theme>>>Nazrin's. :3

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 01:36:41 AM »
Also, Yamame's theme>>>Nazrin's. :3
Lies.  ATTCC is the best Stage 1 boss theme, hands down.

I have stage 4 of MS stuck in my head MERCILESSLY.  Odd, because I usually don't like Stage 4 themes.  Voile is subdued, but it's meant to be, at least; The Capital City of Flowers is boring, Retribution for the Endless Night is just the main menu theme again, Fall of Fall is BORING, and Catfelt Fancy is OK, but has nothing on MS.

MS also gets credit for Dream Express and both Extra themes for being awesome epic.  I'm still undecided about Shinki, though.  At least Romantic Children and Plastic Mind are pretty good.

PoDD has Maniacal Princess (underrated), Strawberry Crisis!!, Lost Dream, and I'm finally starting to add Reincarnation, because I still think it's overrated, but it is good.

Don't know enough of the music from tHRtP, SoEW or LLS to judge on those.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

• Doing >9000 Barrel Rolls
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2009, 04:00:25 PM »
Recently, I've been listening to Yamame's theme and Orin's theme.
But that's because recently I've been trying to beat 11. I got really close to fighting Orin yesterday, but stage 5 is just brutal.
I gotta have something for my sig, so...

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2009, 04:42:54 PM »
I've recently been addicted to Sailor of Time, both the original and an amazing remix that I found on Youtube.

Besides, who doesn't like sailor chicks with guns in space? ;D

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2009, 04:55:10 PM »
I like most Touhou music, but the PC98 games certainly tickle my FM-loving ear.

'Though, I don't think ZUN wasn't quite aggressive enough in his FM programming.  He could've gotten some much better sound out of it.  =/

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2009, 05:32:59 PM »
What? lgb doesn't like Touhou music? Weirdo.

Recently, I've been listening to Yamame's theme and Orin's theme.
But that's because recently I've been trying to beat 11. I got really close to fighting Orin yesterday, but stage 5 is just brutal.

You playing Easy? Then you are probably not handling the stage correctly.