Author Topic: Another Touhou manga?  (Read 17114 times)

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
Another Touhou manga?
« on: July 26, 2010, 04:58:29 AM »
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Wild_and_Horned_Hermit

Neither wild, horned, nor a hermit. Discuss.

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
Re: Another Touhou manga?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 05:20:52 AM »
Well I know that Wild and Horned Hermit was discussed within the Cirno game thread here

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=6676.msg391338

But to be fair, I feel Wild and Horned Hermit needs a separate thread so that it can be known. Because I didn't noticed it and almost did the same thing.

Anyways, in for everyone that doesn't know already it's another Touhou comic that ZUN wrote and got an artist too.

The new charater that has been introduced is Kasen Ibara, a hermit who's looking for the "arm of a kappa".

And Ibara "might" be linked to the oni of old ledgend named "Ibaraka Douji" who lost his arm and tricked someone into slicing off thier arm to so he could replace his. And from the look of Ibara's right arm it looks all wrapped in ribbon as if something is wrong with it. Thus why the connection.

And also the oni of legend has a connection with Douji Ibuki thus it's believed that Ibara could be...
Spoiler:
The third Deava of the mountain, the same group Suika and Yuugi were in

But this is alll speculation right now since she was just introduced, but it's an interesting connection non the less.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:28:37 AM by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 06:17:49 AM »
Formless God's made the first fanart of Kasen to include a cybernetic arm. I checked on pixiv and he's the only one so far. Everyone else has drawn Kasen with a normal right arm.

Funny how a gaijin got to that first.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:24:55 AM by soloista »

Formless God

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 07:06:17 AM »
Because I thought a normal arm would be too ... normal :ohdear:

BTW I'M NOT A GAIJIN I'M AN ENGLISH-SPEAKING NIHONJI- *shot*
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 07:36:52 AM by Hatsune Miko »

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 07:13:11 AM »
If the mech arm does pan out for real then I'll be waiting for the pic with Kasen having the engineer's gunslinger
and all sorts of other famous prosthetic arms.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 07:16:20 AM by Cadmas »

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 11:07:58 AM »
Even if it doesn't pan out, I'm adding that prosthetic arm to the list of things I insist upon. All we need are more fanart going in that direction.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 11:24:44 AM »
Who is the artist and why haven't I heard of him/her before?
Let me back into CPMC :|

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 11:26:45 AM »
Artist of which?

Anon

• Some Nobody
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 04:20:37 PM »
Now that the raw is out. A couple things to note.

-Kudos to those who thought of Extending Arm. The arm of the kappa was exactly that.
-Kasen's right arm is fully covered in bandage and Reimu gripping it caused it to exude dust/dark matter.
-Kasen's left arm has a manacle with a chain on it similar to Yugi's manacle and chains.

Oh yes. This is the last time you have to deal with my presence. I'll now return to lurking again.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 04:25:53 PM »
I feel sort of disappointed in that.

When you mean extending arm, do you mean that slinky toy arm?

Nevertheless I still have that mechanical arm to enjoy to myself.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 04:35:08 PM by soloista »

Formless God

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »
Arm that exudes dust/dark matter.
Oshi that was what I intended to do with her arm at first, then I scrapped it because I was lazy :<

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
I like to interpret that "dust" (didn't really look like dust or dark matter to me) is a sign of a deteriorated robotic arm.

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 09:01:58 PM »
Well, we'll find out when we get translations ...

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
  • RIP 7/21/2010-9/10/2010
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 09:53:50 PM »
Yuugi? I don't recall seeing an entry on the touhou wiki. Someone needs to update it.

Ayuka

• Pursuer of cute things
  • Not obsessive in the slightest.
    • Neko Arrange
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 10:14:05 PM »
Yuugi has a page. It even says she's a deva of the mountain. Or am I missing something here?

I also like the prosthetic arm idea, even if it doesn't turnout to be canon.

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
  • RIP 7/21/2010-9/10/2010
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 10:43:28 PM »
yeah, I forgot her name.

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 01:52:08 AM »
Her prosthetic arm needs a weapon. Like, a blade folds out, or a pile bunker suddenly pops out. Some AWESOME! weapon...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:37:32 AM by soloista »

Formless God

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 01:59:49 AM »

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 02:15:22 AM »
Time to play with all the permutations then.

A railgun...that fires shurikens and lightning. Gahahaha! Good.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:18:00 AM by soloista »

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 04:29:25 AM »
Now! This is the time to establish Kasen-related memes! Do it now! Time is limited!

Ehh. There will be more to discuss when the manga is translated. It only started 2 days ago, after all.

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 04:56:21 AM »
I'm going to say it here, her arm, it releases a strange aura when touched, she keeps it wrapped up in bandages. Me thinks her arm once had great power.

As in "the power of the GOD HAND!" now she wanted to get that power back via Kappa modification.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 05:20:45 AM »
It got more-or-less translated on Danbooru: [nsfw]http://danbooru.donmai.us/pool/show/2023[/nsfw] due to ads.

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 05:36:08 AM »
Looked to me like whatever was under that bandage actually crumbled when Reimu grabbed her arm, so I'm guessing that spiritual/energy constructs are part of her powerset.

That or she is Suika's long lost elder sister and just gathered dust in the shape of an arm.

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 05:42:40 AM »
Her prosthetic arm needs a weapon. Like, a blade folds out, or a pile bunker suddenly pops out. Some AWESOME! weapon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXgZPfmYTIE
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 05:47:44 AM »
I think the black smoke under the arm means either a robotic arm in disrepair (like I said before), or that it's a placeholder arm. For the latter, it means that without the bandages, you would see a stump where an arm should be.

As for a weapon inside that robotic arm, I still like the pile bunker idea, but a chainsaw is just as okay.

Pick one

TMD would be the more spectacular option.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 06:14:25 AM by soloista »

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 07:13:18 AM »
PMiSS and general Japanese mythology research have led me to believe that the black substance was simply dust and dirt. Her right arm is currently, for lack of a better term, a magical, 'hollow' arm.

EDIT: Kasen is my waifu.

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 07:34:53 AM »
Kasen laments the lack of spiritual discipline among younger humans because it means that they won't be able to beat the shinigami when their time's up.

Remember who else gets extensions by hospitalizing one of Enma Daio's salarywomen?

Makes me hope Marisa doesn't learn anything from that hermit.

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 07:44:31 AM »
Kasen laments the lack of spiritual discipline among younger humans because it means that they won't be able to beat the shinigami when their time's up.

Remember who else gets extensions by hospitalizing one of Enma Daio's salarywomen?

Makes me hope Marisa doesn't learn anything from that hermit.

Its
Spoiler:
Tenshi
amiright?

Probably going to get heat for this, but I'll be the first here, I guess to say I'm not fond of the art style.
Although it can be amusing at times.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:07:53 AM by Cadmas »

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 08:27:48 AM »
The art isn't particularly good on a technical level, but it is quite expressive, so I think it's alright.

Reimu and Kasen are suggested to have already met once, which is interesting (Kasen isn't being dropped in out of nowhere). Also, lol at Reimu being scheming and greedy as usual.

Also, I find the concept of a hermit/ascetic having some sort of of special significance more of an interesting addition to Touhou than Kasen herself. She sounds kind of eccentric though so maybe she'll turn out to be interesting too.

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 08:52:26 AM »
Fun fact: PMiSS says that hermits are a delicacy for Youkai. Explains both the missing arm and Ex-Rumia.